SUGGESTIONS MEGATHREAD

conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
I am compiling a mega-thread to centralize all the wonderful ideas I have read in this forum, and help the dev have a more clear view of the different directions the game could go.

The goal is to have a clear list of all great ideas, with link to relevant threads, but no or little duplicates.

This is a work in progress as I read and collect ideas and add links below.  Don't hesitate to help me!
Hopefully the dev will pin this thread! :)

SUGGESTIONS MEGATHREAD

Biomes

• Series of floater islands with interconnected roots creating a swamp / mud area with fruits and fresh water (link)
  • Open ocean biome (i.e, when not close to sea floor)
  • Arctic biome (link)

Fauna (creatures)

• Deep sea creatures only found at abysmal depth (link)
  • Various creatures ideas thread (link)
  • Massive bioluminescent jelly fish at found at extreme depth (link)
  • A huge creature with a massive orange eye pupil looking at you from the bottom of the abyss (link)
  • Large cave entrance that turns out to be a very large creature
  • Adding diversity in fauna population by changing fishes color age and size (link)

Flora (plants)

• Fruits (like mangroves) for the island, restores water and food (link) and (link)

Environment

• Sea currents
  • Whirlpools
  • Weather (rain, storms, tsunamis, hurricanes, meteor showers)
  • Murky waters caused by mud being displaced by weather events
  • Tidal surges, causing the pod to move if not anchored 
  • Ecology and ecosystem simulation (link) and (link)
  • Biofouling: barnacles accumulation on bases and subs (link)
  • Ecologicalal consequences for destroying flora and killing fauna (link)
  • Red tide random event, making algae overgrow and producing toxins (link)

Bases

• Beacons for base, linked to a com center inside the base (link)
  • Solar power discussion (link)
  • Cyclops open-sea docking platform (link)
  • Specialized base modules (such as laboratory, docking station, decompression chamber)
  • Generic rooms with beds, decoration, etc.
  • Different modules for different depth / pressure
  • Huge aquarium modules, allowing to store live plants and creatures in the base
  • Fridge and freezer (link)
  • Base tech snap points (link)
  • Radio, radar and  sonar technology (link)
  • Automated defenses and colonization modules (link)

Transportation & Vessels

• Warping pads with limited range built in bases from warpers DNA (link)
  • Monorail underwater train (link)
  • Surface vessels (link)
  • Flying vessels
  • Adding a search light to the Seamoth and Cyclops (link)
  • Mechanical arm for the Seamoth (link)
  • External add-ons such as light arrays for the Cyclops (link)
  • Cyclops improvements / specialization such as cargo hold (link)
  • Adding an equipment slot to the Seamoth and Cyclops to enable stasis rifle or prop cannon (link)

Navigation

• Making kelp and other plants obstacles to sub navigation (link)
  • Sonar on the Cyclops or PDA to automatically draw a map as we swim around (link)

Technology and science

• Multiple fragments to reverse engineering blueprint and upgrade schematics (link)
  • Power and rechargeable batteries (link)
  • Scientific research, vat-tanks, auto-lab and specimen collection (link) and (link)
  • Radio, radar and  sonar technology (link)

Equipment

• Liquid air upgrade for Rebreather (link)
  • Sonic blade as an improved diamond blade almost unbreakable, reseached from fragment (link)
  • Cermet blade as an improved more durable heat blade, researched from fragment (link)

Story

• Audio log recording key non-linear events from the narrator's perspective (link)
  • Ancient relics and buildings (link)
  • Non-linear open-world story based event system discussion thread (link)
  • Finding sentient beings on the planet and establishing communication (link)
  • Another large scale event besides the Aurora explosion (link)
  • Making the floating island sink by deflating the giant floaters (link)

Game mechanics

• Fauna interaction (link)
  • Dedicated slots for certain equipment like air tanks and knife on the paper doll (link)
  • Roll movement with Q and E when swimming
  • Mining terrain to gather resources (rather than simply picking it up) such as quartz from sand
  • Filtering water to get salt and fresh water (link)
  • Various lifeforms with a "curiosity" behavior (link)
  • Clever ideas and uses for various monsters already in the game (link)

Other large lists of various suggestions

This list is to provide a link toward other detailed threads containing many suggestions.
All or part of the ideas in the threads below may or may not yet be already listed above.

Comments

• Cynder_DragonbornCynder_Dragonborn United Staes Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203557Members
    Flying Vehicles, nuff said.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    So I guess I am the only one who has been putting out biome ideas? :lol: . Thanks for putting the link to my topics.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    sayerulz said:
    So I guess I am the only one who has been putting out biome ideas? :lol: . Thanks for putting the link to my topics.
    It's a work in progress! Took the last ones I read and started with that... :) wanna help? just add topics and links as a comment and I'll add it to the main post
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    If you want to add generic suggestion lists, here are some (from my own list here):

More lists
    Also this.

Other stuff:
    Fridge and freezer (link)
    Base tech snap points (link)
    Another large scale event (link)
    Fish curiosity (link)
    Radio, radar and  sonar technology (link)

Whether you'll add these to your thread or not is up to you. I just think there should be more discussion about these features.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Integrated, thanks @SalmonJEDl !
    I added the large lists with different topics in the same post as separate items at the bottom of the list; eventually it would be nice to break them down in their category and add them to the actual list above.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015

Here are all of my suggestion threads to date (that haven't been added yet):

Also, an additional suggestion for equipment. How about a sonic blade (a.k.a. vibroblade)? I was thinking it would be a knife crafted from: one Diamond Blade, one Advanced Wiring Kit, and one Plasteel Ingot. The Resonance Blade (original nomenclature) would have a limited durability of about 1000 strikes against an object.

Another alternative, or perhaps an additional upgrade, would be the Cermet Blade (heat-resistant material made of ceramic and sintered metal). I imagine it would be made from: one Heat Blade, one Advanced Wiring Kit, and one Enameled Glass. It would have a durability of 200 strikes, and preforms the same cooking function as the regular Heat Blade.

Both blades might be fragment technology, or perhaps the result of research. :smile:  
    edited June 2015
  • ArlingArling Russia Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204727Members
    Could you add my post with change of resource gathering? English language is not my native language, but, i hope, that my idea is understandable(yes, english version goes after russian version, because i needed to form the text first of all)...

uhm.... http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137703/idea-full-change-of-resource-mechanic-bad-language-sorry?new=1
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    @conscioussoul Just posting to say 'great work on the megathread!' :)

Hyp3rion
  • KDrewKDrew US Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205350Members
    How about "Sonar Vision"?

Here's a thread that I posted on the idea http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137904/sonar-vision?new=1
  • DROPKICKCOLINDROPKICKCOLIN Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205351Members
    How about multiplayer? Think about it. Having three guys rolling around in the cyclops and maybe even pvp. Wouldn't be the worst idea ever.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    Most my suggestions have been covered already, so I'd just like to say +1 for the added living / working Base modules, and for submarine docking stations for both topside and submersible bases.

It would also be nice to be able to toggle on / off Beacon locators. When you have several locations marked, it can congestion the screen with blinking icons. Ideally it would be nice to toggle on just the specific one you're looking for, but I can see that being a pain to implement. Perhaps leave the sub & moth on all the time and toggle only the deployed beacons.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2015
    So I had an idea and i made my own thread but somehow it has only 1 view for me since hours and i think its bugged im not sure... So I decided to write my idea here I hope you dont mind!

Hello Subnautica Community!

I have thought alot about this game lately and then, last night, I had an Idea i deemed "pretty good" and my idea got more and more detailed with the night progressing and reading discussions like "Should Subnautica have an ending (Poll)".

At first it was just an idea for a creature and maybe you all think its stupid then thats fine but hear me out. As it lives in the lava biome or however its called, I called it the Magmatitan. Hence its name, its pretty big, maybe even the biggest creature ingame. Its supposed to swallow you whole, although its not very fast and not aggressive, but since it kinda plows the ocean floor for food it sucks you in (with Seamoth or without, althought with the Seamoth you could maybe try to counteract the suction and get away from it) But as it sucks you in, you survive and are able to move around the body freely although its of course not easy to survive in there, maybe you would need a special kind of seamoth and suit. I havent thought much about the inner life of the creature except that it would use lava as its digestive system. Since it does that, its body needs to be heatresistent, so i thought about its skin and meat being like rocks, probably black and raspy. And here my idea progressed. As part of the endgame, I thought it might be a good idea that you have to get eaten by the magmatitan in order to get into its body in which you can then harvest parts of its rocky body (which wouldnt even hurt it since its very massive) and find exclusive materials that you need in order to progress through the game or get some special items (for the people who dont want to have any ending to this game). Of course surviving that "Being in a huge lava fish body" thing wouldnt be easy but if you do it the reward is worth it. Getting out of its body wouldnt be hard. Since it sucks in water aswell, lava and water sometimes meet inside its body, the resulting steam and rocks, and whatever else i aint a geologist, would eventually exit the body through tubes on the side of the magmatitans body (which you cannot enter, since the steam and flow works against you, you only get blasted out of there)

So that would be my idea, maybe you all think its ****, then just write it here in the comments. Maybe you think its kinda good but needs alot of improvement, then you can write that aswell. All of this might just be the thoughts of a lunatic late at night so Im aware that this is only an idea, a draft, and you could all help me complete it if you want and you think it has potential! IF SOMEONE COULD DRAW THIS I WOULD BE SUPER HAPPY! And im even more happy if we just talk about this idea of mine seek improvement and see where it takes us in the end!

So all in all, tell me what you think, have a good day! :smile:

Also I +1 Sonar Vision and I would love an arctic biome and my most favourite thing ever would be actual huge waves and storms/wheather, dont really know if thats possible.. also I dont want multiplayer, I just feel like thats not what subnautica is about.. IMO ofc.

EDIT: If you guys mind my huge text about my idea I will delete my comment but if any of you like it Id be glad to feel welcomed..
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    edited June 2015
    I like the idea of a super huge creature that you can explore inside like that, but the lava bit makes no sense. Lava could not be used as a digestive system, because A) maintaining enough heat to keep rock liquid takes a huge amount of energy, more than a creature could possibly sustaing, B) because a digestive system must break down food into components that can be used by the body. Lava would simply incinerate organic matter. A large fish that behaves like that could be cool though.

Edit: oh dear, by B point seems to have become a face with sunglasses.....
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I like the idea of a super huge creature that you can explore inside like that, but the lava bit makes no sense. Lava could not be used as a digestive system, because A) maintaining enough heat to keep rock liquid takes a huge amount of energy, more than a creature could possibly sustaing, B) because a digestive system must break down food into components that can be used by the body. Lava would simply incinerate organic matter. A large fish that behaves like that could be cool though.

I agree with the lava part.

The creature would probably have to be a large benign filter feeder, or siphonophorae. Creatures can't just keep getting bigger and bigger for no reason because their energy intake has to be sustainable. Although, a massive siphonophorae might be extremely dangerous.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    I'd like to see a Ramp section for bases, rather than having to use ladders all the time.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester

Thanks for your Opinion, and yes I thought that would probably be a problem and makes no sense but then I was like "Would be so cool though and its an alien planet so anything goes" and wrote it anyway :smile: I think having a creature like that that isnt 100% realistic as an organism is key to really feel like youre on an alien planet and you dont understand anything yet.. maybe the explanation of how this is possible can just not be understood with our current knowledge? But anyway.. Then i would go with @TotallyLemon 's idea of a filter feeder as the "getting sucked in" part would not really make sense with siphonophorae. Also wouldnt really fit into the lava biome I think.
    Lightdevil wrote: »

Thanks for your Opinion, and yes I thought that would probably be a problem and makes no sense but then I was like "Would be so cool though and its an alien planet so anything goes" and wrote it anyway :smile: I think having a creature like that that isnt 100% realistic as an organism is key to really feel like youre on an alien planet and you dont understand anything yet.. maybe the explanation of how this is possible can just not be understood with our current knowledge? But anyway.. Then i would go with @TotallyLemon 's idea of a filter feeder as the "getting sucked in" part would not really make sense with siphonophorae. Also wouldnt really fit into the lava biome I think.

I imagine this creature might be far out in the open ocean. There aren't that many large creatures in Earth's benthic zones. From an evolutionary standpoint, I'd say we are extremely lucky to see creatures like Crabsnakes and Lava Lizards.

I imagine this creature might be far out in the open ocean. There aren't that many large creatures in Earth's benthic zones. From an evolutionary standpoint, I'd say we are extremely lucky to see creatures like Crabsnakes and Lava Lizards.

Lava Biome could be on the bottom of the open ocean aswell.
  • SlothwanaSlothwana Australia Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205396Members
    edited June 2015
    Fishing for food is such a pain since you have to click on the fish to catch it, and they're quick even when using a sea glide it's difficult. Therefore I think nets and traps would be an awesome addition to the game. Nets and traps wouldn't require any energy, and if were made with fiber for example, it would be something players can easily build at the start of the game.
  • PunkeroPunkero Finland Join Date: 2015-04-22 Member: 203733Members
    This game really needs to re-organize some things.
    Firstly, we should have seamoth unlocked right off the start, and instead have Cyclops fragments. This easy change makes it so, that new players will see a small cheap sub in their constructors and aim for it rather than making cyclops before seamoth just because they didnt know about the fragments.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Punkero wrote: »
    Firstly, we should have seamoth unlocked right off the start, and instead have Cyclops fragments. This easy change makes it so, that new players will see a small cheap sub in their constructors and aim for it rather than making cyclops before seamoth just because they didnt know about the fragments.
    I agree, but then the seamoth's meterial requirements should be changed. Right now, it needs at least 3 pieces of silver for the wiring kit and the computer chip in the analyzer. I think it'd be kinda smart to keep something "rare" in there, so the the moth is your first real acomplishment.
    Slothwana wrote: »
    Fishing for food is such a pain since you have to click on the fish to catch it, and they're quick even when using a sea glide it's difficult. Therefore I think nets and traps would be an awesome addition to the game. Nets and traps wouldn't require any energy, and if were made with fiber for example, it would be something players can easily build at the start of the game.

I never really had a problem with catching fish even without fins and seaglide.. sometimes I cant click on them but that only happens when the frames start giving up on me. (God damn frames next update I want an improvement on that.. but probably wont get any)
    Punkero wrote: »
    I agree, but then the seamoth's meterial requirements should be changed. Right now, it needs at least 3 pieces of silver for the wiring kit and the computer chip in the analyzer. I think it'd be kinda smart to keep something "rare" in there, so the the moth is your first real acomplishment.

Then we can let the seamoth fragment in there and make it rarer, but tell the new player that there is something like a seamoth fragment out there.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    The problem with the fragment is, that it requires the analyzer, which requires a base, which requires a builder which requires even more silver. Currently the seamoth is at the end of a chain of required items and i think it's a little too many. I mean it, when i say the seamoth should be the first real acomplishment and i think silver in it's recipe isn't bad at all (even tho you have to comb the ocean by seaglide...) but the fragment is a shitty way to stretch the time to get to your goal.
    edited June 2015
    The problem with the fragment is, that it requires the analyzer, which requires a base, which requires a builder which requires even more silver. Currently the seamoth is at the end of a chain of required items and i think it's a little too many. I mean it, when i say the seamoth should be the first real acomplishment and i think silver in it's recipe isn't bad at all (even tho you have to comb the ocean by seaglide...) but the fragment is a shitty way to stretch the time to get to your goal.

Idk, I'd like it my way haha. I think Seamoth should be endgame, the first real accomplishments would be airtank and seaglide..

I mean think about it, the Seamoth is a vehicle with which you can go EVERYWHERE any depth, and length, very fast AND youre protected aswell. The Seamoth being the first achievment then makes no sense to me.

Idk, I'd like it my way haha. I think Seamoth should be endgame, the first real accomplishments would be airtank and seaglide..

I mean think about it, the Seamoth is a vehicle with which you can go EVERYWHERE any depth, and length, very fast AND youre protected aswell. The Seamoth being the first achievment then makes no sense to me.

The Seamoth is receiving a crush depth.

The Seamoth is receiving a crush depth.

Im sure it will still be able to go into the Koosh zone, which is basically everything you need atleast as it stands now.