Snap points for module placement

TeslaCuilTeslaCuil usa Join Date: 2015-05-29 Member: 205010Members
At the moment, several of the modules you can create, including the fragment analyzer, storage cube and lockers are placed simply by dropping them on the floor. This method is functional, but messy.

My idea is to create snap points for modules that will make them more closely integrated with the structure. Some things are already placed in this manner, such as windows, hatches, and wall reinforcement. I think that this should be expanded to all modules, such as lockers, the fragment analyzer, and the new workbench.

Additionally, this design philosophy could also be applied to the bigger base components, such as the generator, and the other upcoming power generation components. Basically, they should be placed the same way that hallway segments are, requiring their own foundation and snapping to the center.

I made a mockup in order to help illustrate my idea of what wall-embedded components could look like.
kgrlkjQ.png

Comments

• JP193JP193 UK Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204597Members
    Well I personally like the idea of placing/removing objects within existing corridors... Buuuuut that mock-up is AWESOME, and I'm inclined to agree that some sort of extension into the walls like this would be pretty cool. Not expecting the devs to even consider it, but this does look pretty sleek.
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    I have to agree. Considering most corridors come with 4 'points' (hallway ends and straight sides), it would fit very nicely. Rather than these awkward standalone objects, snap points could simply behave like windows or reinforcements. They can look prettier and probably provide more room and better control for base/ship leak points.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    How about both snap points and freely placeable items?
  • TeslaCuilTeslaCuil usa Join Date: 2015-05-29 Member: 205010Members
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind that. I guess really I just want more things to place as an extension of the seabase structure.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    I like the free placement, but some integrated stuff would also be cool. Maybe the normal corridors have just free placement available, but the upcoming bigger rooms have some snap points on top of that. I kinda want to put lockers on the wall, too.