Biofouling

TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
Biofouling is the buildup of barnacles and other organisms on submerged surfaces. 

I imagine that on vehicles and bases organisms could slowly accumulate. With bases, biofouling wouldn't be much of a problem, except for around hatches and windows. As for vehicles, the greater the accumulation, the less efficient the vehicle becomes in locomotion. The wreckage of the Aurora could accumulate biofouling (adding to the players sense of time) and potentially increasing the difficulty of spotting wreckage from far away (as it is IRL... sonar anyone?).

Of course, using the welder, knife, or propulsion cannon players can clean off the gunk. I imagine especially large barnacles would warrant use of the propulsion cannon, whereas smaller stuff can be handled by the welder and/or knife. Certainly there would be DNA research involved in developing coatings to combat/slow the accumulation. Also, some of the organism might double as resources/defenses, so that's nifty too.

Tell me what you guys think. :smiley:   

Comments

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I actually made a topic about pretty much this exact thing a while back:http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137776/overgrowing-objects#latest
  • HexaphobiaHexaphobia Oregon Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204694Members
    Love it! The DNA research of the build up is also brilliant. I would be really cool for a second scripted even to happen to the Aroura after you have stopped the radioactive leak causing you to return to it. Upon return the fire and smoke have stopped and the Biofouling has taken over the submerged parts of the ship and the wreckage on the sea floor. Maybe this go round you need to chip away a substantial amount of barnacles and buildup that has covered the hole you used to enter the ship last time.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    sayerulz said:
    I actually made a topic about pretty much this exact thing a while back:http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137776/overgrowing-objects#latest
    Sorry, I didn't see that. Great minds think alike. :smile: 

And it doesn't hurt if this increases visibility to the devs. 

Love it! The DNA research of the build up is also brilliant. I would be really cool for a second scripted even to happen to the Aroura after you have stopped the radioactive leak causing you to return to it. Upon return the fire and smoke have stopped and the Biofouling has taken over the submerged parts of the ship and the wreckage on the sea floor. Maybe this go round you need to chip away a substantial amount of barnacles and buildup that has covered the hole you used to enter the ship last time.
    Perhaps the radiation causes strange mutations that you have to use gene therapy on to combat the extreme growth. :smiley: 

• TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    I still want to see this implemented. Bases and vehicles will continue to feel and look like fake models otherwise.