Mega Suggestions

TommityTommity Earth Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204232Members
I haven't played this game myself, but I've seen a couple of youtubers play it. And I think I have some suggestions to make the game more interesting and addicting.
  • Make underground air pockets that the player can settle down in and explore. It would have bioluminescent bulbs on the ceiling and the area would be full of land flora.
  • There should be a rare chance the player can encounter natural islands like in stranded deep. The biome could vary from barren deserts, to lush jungle, to icy plains, to volcanic mountains. The player could encounter fauna like a frog-like crocodile, a pelican-like pterosaur, monstrous sea lions, flying manta rays, saber toothed rodents, and amphibious sea horses. (Yes, I know the point of the game is to explore underwater.)
  • There should be a way to place stuff like fabricators and lockers in a fixed location like in the Sims.
  • There should be an animal based on a turtle.
  • The potential arctic biome could have penguins similar to the ones from After Man.
  • I've heard that resources such as fish, mushrooms, and kelp don't respawn. Maybe that could be fixed.
  • The game feels like it needs a main antagonist or a dominant species that the player encounters. Maybe even a chance that they are intelligent enough to be responsible for the Aurora's crash as a way of defending their planet from potential invaders.
  • With aquariums, there should be larger aquariums that can house larger creatures like the Stalker. Or maybe a habitat-like structure where you can keep tamed animals.
  • There could be wreckage of alien races that tried to colonize the planet in the past.
  • It feels like the planet could use an official name instead of just 'The World'.
  • The map for the game seems to be an isolated flake of the planet. It should be endless like Stranded Deep.
  • The player could build or craft robots to aid in exploration like the paddled robot in the concept art.
  • There should be a way for the player to send a distress signal so he/she could possibly be rescued. But make it end game material.
  • There should be a way to tell the terraformer what to place down and pick up.
  • There needs to be a Pokédex-like in game encyclopedia that lets you record information on various elements in the game like biomes and life forms.
  • A lot of people have been requesting more structure for sea bases like human habitats, places to dock the Sea Moth and Cyclops, glass domes, floral gardens, reactor rooms, elevators, and large corridors.
  • There could be a manta ray-shaped submarine that could be bigger than the Cyclops and might be able to fly.
  • There could be rocky pillars that penetrate the surface.
  • There needs to be a chemical in the water that explains why lithium is stable.
  • There could be an event that happens before being stranded that take place aboard the Aurora. The player in in his/her quarters when the Aurora malfunctions and has to get to the escape pod. Kind of like the beginning of Stranded Deep.
  • A carnivorous plant could be encountered either above or under the water.
  • The Aurora could have more areas to explore like the cockpit.
  • The player could catch diseases from stuff like the Spike Plants and Bleeders and would have to either make or find a cure.
  • There could be upgrades to the player's suit that can provide more protection and allow the player to move faster.
  • There could be wildlife that spawn in abyssal depths that could represent giant squids, angler fish, and electric eels.
  • There could be a way for the player to construct a Sea Moth from inside the Cyclops.
  • There could be a way to have an L corridor that only turns 45 degrees.
  • People have been asking for a way to make complex foods.
  • There could be a kelp-like creature that roams the kelp forest.
  • There could be chunks of flesh that drop from large creatures when they are killed.
This game has a lot of potential, and these ideas are to help this game go beyond early access.

Comments

• KanekiKenKanekiKen 20th ward Join Date: 2015-04-30 Member: 203964Members
    edited May 2015
    I like the suggestions but i have to be honest, stranded deep is just not good in my opinion and taking ideas from there and bringing them to a COMPLETELY different kind of game feels wrong man, those suggestions are general ones that anyone could have thought of without playing stranded deep. Forgot to add that they won't add a way to get rescued because your suppose to be terraforming and colonizing this planet, if you left what would be the point?
  • KILLTHISKILLTHIS Germany Join Date: 2015-05-02 Member: 204051Members
    Nice suggestions. But I agree to KanekiKen. Stranded Deep is a little different to Subnautica, although they share a few elements. But then again you have to approach each individually and I think that's the problem here. The settings are just different.

1.) Islands will be there in the future, they're just not ready yet.

2.) What's wrong with being free to place fabricators and lockers? I think that provides much more freedom to the players. or do I misunderstand something?

3.)An antagonist is one thing, but as someone who occasionally writes a few stories in his freetime, I may say this: Everything that is interesting is about conflict. Conflict itself can happen on a variety of levels and therefore doesn't always mean that there is a specific threat that has a face. Subnautica should IMHO not have "THE" antagonist for a simple reason: You're stranded on an alien planet. Giving the player a clear antagonist means you take away the magic of these alien creatures the very first time you face them - or at least you delude the player and take his freedom of interactivity by leading him to false conclusions. Keeping him aware that this very creature he encounters could be either docile or aggressive is the best thing the devs can do for the player. Simply because he expects that this thing may or may not be dangerous. By giving the threat a face means you make him disregard these animals as lesser threats; He priorizes his efforts to evade or destroy his enemy instead of being aware of the animals around him which could even provide some benefits if he's willing to take the risk. Therefore it's better to just throw him into the alien pile of danger that awaits in the depths of this everlasting ocean.
    If you want an antagonist: You're already in it. The ocean is your antagonist and your best friend.

4.)As for an endless world I think that would be neat but that's also a matter of performance. I also don't know if it's possible to do _properly_ with Unity 5.
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
    5.?
    I think you are missing something.
  • dxmorphinedxmorphine FL Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204264Members
    I also agree with both KanekiKen and KILLTHIS. It's better to leave the team to give the game some individuality than give it features that "borrow" from another game.

You make some very great suggestions but I have to say the Flying Manta Ray vehicle seems a little OP and out of place. The game is based around exploring the ocean, surviving it, embracing it. Why leave such a core part of the game out? HOWEVER if you say, made this vehicle temporarily "Glide" above the ocean (it would have to sacrifice some power for this maneuver) then I'm all for it.
  • TommityTommity Earth Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204232Members
    To be honest, I was putting Stranded Deep as an example. I have no intention of making Subnautica an exact copy of it. Also, I think 'antagonist' was kind of the wrong way of putting an intelligent race. I was thinking of an end game species that look like a cross between a merman, a crab, and an octopus. It would have a Cthulu-like head with crab-like features and merman body but with an addition of anal and pelvic fins. The hands would be 3 opposing digits and would have suction cups. It would overall have a design and texture similar to the N.T.I. from the 1989 film Abyss or the Eosapiens from Alien Planet.
  • FellWinterFellWinter England Join Date: 2015-05-08 Member: 204301Members
    I think a cool idea would be that you could use fibre from creepvines to make a net to catch fish in, and the use floaters to act as buoyancy for it.