Update 306 is now live on steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The b team devs have really lost it huh
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Let's get this clear. Before the hitbox change you could still hit an enemy without aiming at them. That's the nature of weapon spread.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I've always thought the bite cone should extend sideways and hits on the side should be glancing hits that do like 30-40% less damage.

You seem to forget that we used to have this, a long time ago. It was removed because it was deemed that it led to poor damage feedback (whether you fully hit or only partially hit). Now it's always clear how much damage you dealt: One bite or none.

That was a good change, imo.
    As with quite a few things early on in NS2, there was a poor implementation and then the whole idea was abandoned rather than the implementation improved. I've got no clue whether it's the solution here, but I'd like to think it's doable as long as there's proper effort put into implementation.

You need distinquishable sound feedback on bite success at the very least though, probably some visual stuff too.

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Archie wrote: »
    curious as to why in pre-game you get killed when trying to go to marine/alien start?

This has been in since 304 methinks... The update here is the warning text that youre trespassing on forbidden grounds.
    But I don't see the point in it either

The idea is because of warm up mode being a way to seed servers... people play, they take part in combat etc... but you will find people tend to leave a server if someone is just trolling by spawn camping... to combat the idea of 3 onos in marine start, or 2 JP - SG/GL sitting in the enemy base being douchebags, they made it so you can't.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited July 2016
    I will say this patch could, potentially, fix the biggest immediate problem in pub which id call the 'derp skulk ocean nonstop alien fail-train of losing'.
    While it is the least worse choice of 2 evils, it still IS a bad choice to buff skulk hp.

Both the hitbox and hp buffs will marginally help rookies while greatly help veterans.

There may be another problem which could potentially even buff veterans even more but I am to lazy to do the calculations, so I shall put the below down as SPECULATION and not fact.
    a1 is usually (read pretty much only) the most realistic choice. Sadly pub comms in general are rather clueless so in the past went w1 a great many times.
    Of course we know that prepatch w1 did no extra damage vs vanilla skulks. (So no cara, regen or biomass)
    Now if the hp buff is great enough to change this to 'some' extra damage, then marines got a buff with this change also.
    Even worse, if the hp indeed boosts hp to a point where w1 matters, then veterans who do not get hit as much in pub in the first place, may even prove a asset which works with going straight to w1.
    If you can go w1 without any realistic issues (due to lack of enough dying marines) then you are also safe to go w2. (Because else you should have started a1 first)

I strongly hope my speculation is not possible and that the new skulk hp STILL takes as much bullets as it did on w0, or it is yet again a buff to veterans in a small timeframe.

Reducing the skillgap, one veteran buff at a time. :s

>edit
    I would theorize that a speed increase wouldve been better, but like I said.. choosing amoung evils. The hitbox fix should have been reverted until a more suitable environment was in place.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Kasharic wrote: »
    curious as to why in pre-game you get killed when trying to go to marine/alien start?

This has been in since 304 methinks... The update here is the warning text that youre trespassing on forbidden grounds.

The idea is because of warm up mode being a way to seed servers... people play, they take part in combat etc... but you will find people tend to leave a server if someone is just trolling by spawn camping... to combat the idea of 3 onos in marine start, or 2 JP - SG/GL sitting in the enemy base being douchebags, they made it so you can't.
    Well it just led me to quit a server, so it's not working. I had to just sit in Topographical alone... Dumb change.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Skulk buff! Now people will complain about alien smurfs. Will it ever end? :'(
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Yea the game is perfect there is nothing to complain about =)
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited July 2016
    Kasharic wrote: »

Wow... just wow. If that's the case, they completely misunderstand how warmups work. Most players AFK until the game starts, so there will be noone on the field to fight. I've never EVER seen spawncamps in warmup, because it was crushed quite fast thanks to instant respawn.
    Do the devs even play on pubs, or just playtests?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Rantology is the only one in PDT and UWE combined that actually knows how to play the game, and she doesn't actually get paid to do the balancing aspects. I imagine she's helped to reel them in a bit. But probably not on pub aspects.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2016
    Even though I'm not playing.. seems like this patch won't help against marinestomping..lerks and fades will still diie much faster since it's easier to get full hits.. if they even get to that point..

Just a drop in the bucket.. balancing doesn't seem to be their strong suite :-(
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    And the downfall of NS2 continues. Really guys... I just don't know what to say anymore, this gets to a point where I think remi is just trolling.
  • MOMOhandsetMOMOhandset uniteds tates Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213668Members
    edited July 2016
    And the downfall of NS2 continues. Really guys... I just don't know what to say anymore, this gets to a point where I think remi is just trolling.

no, he's just doing what he learned from working on cod
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    What if UWE had said they actually improved hitrating instead of enlarged hitboxes...
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2016

Yeah and if that's the case then hiring a former CoD dev was one of the worst mistakes ever..

Oh sure CoD may be a financial success on consoles, but CoD devs took that franchise from a 150,000+ players daily title, to barely being able to keep 20,000+ daily (on PC)

Literally CoD on PC is one of the most colossal disasters in the entire gaming industry.. And they were using statistics to back up their horrible changes as well...

Edit: And I really mean no offense to remi.. He just came from the worst dev team ever assembled.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2016
    Seems they ain't gonna listen to anything anyway.. in the last discussions of the last patches there were so many compelling arguments.. but thats not gonna force them to do much.

@The_Welsh_Wizard don't let it out on remi, I honestly believe that he doesn't decide things for himself :)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    I am sad.

Props to people like Therius, Dragon and Bonage who are still putting in effort on these forums and are expressing well formulated, experience driven and logically sane feedback and ideas.

These changes the past 6 months has been like watching the blind leading the blind. Plus everyone is drunk.

Good intentions are nice, but at this point all I see is the undoing of the hard work previous people have done in balancing and improving the game play in the past.

The continual micro changes to gameplay are tedious and ill thought out. I want to see something big. Mercy kill this project and let a potential NS3 grow without all of this baggage. Something people can be excited about.

• NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    alien hitbox enlargement? From b279 to b30X (some hidden change) and now this build...

What´s the point of learning how to dodge? To learn how to overcommit properly? To learn quick reaction?

Are these qualities not important? Should all engagements be decided by the numbers and initial position of each player instead of individual fps skill?
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    NovoRei wrote: »
    alien hitbox enlargement? From b279 to b30X (some hidden change) and now this build...

What´s the point of learning how to dodge? To learn how to overcommit properly? To learn quick reaction?

Are these qualities not important? Should all engagements be decided by the numbers and initial position of each player instead of individual fps skill?

This is my biggest problem with the hitbox changes on the skulk. It's very difficult to dodge against any ok to decent shots. So that changes a big part of the game and also makes you feel helpless in front of a marine. There use to be mind games going on and good movement could win. This is why they should change the model of the skulk to be smaller or reduce the hitbox.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    This was their move to try improve several things at once hitreg, rookies gunfeel at least now it will take 2 more bullets to kill a skulk
    I played marine earlier on a map I'd never seen before.. (so I mostly never knew where to position and/or where the aliens were coming from)

At just a few minutes in I was 8-1 and leading the team.. At one point I solo killed three skulks who rushed me at the double res point...

Me solo killing three skulks as they rushed me... They weren't rookie ground skulks either.

To me that's proof positive that they've made Marine far FAR too easy. If I'm able to do so well I can only imagine how much easier it is for high skill players to stomp.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    just saying I'm a guy who used to shoot 23% (before hotbox changes)
    de94534e43.jpg
    okay this was also far better than most other rounds I played with new hitboxes
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wob wrote: »
    > Devs complain about too many hidden mechanics
    > Hides changes in patches
    yndzhe8ijlq1.png
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Mephilles wrote: »
    de94534e43.jpg
    Were all you teammates formerly 5%'ers then?
    Stardog wrote: »
    Mephilles wrote: »
    de94534e43.jpg
    Were all you teammates formerly 5%'ers then?

They were most likely 10%'ers actually..
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Yeah and if that's the case then hiring a former CoD dev was one of the worst mistakes ever..

Oh sure CoD may be a financial success on consoles, but CoD devs took that franchise from a 150,000+ players daily title, to barely being able to keep 20,000+ daily (on PC)

Literally CoD on PC is one of the most colossal disasters in the entire gaming industry.. And they were using statistics to back up their horrible changes as well...

Edit: And I really mean no offense to remi.. He just came from the worst dev team ever assembled.

I think he was joking, but I'm not completely sure.