Natural Selection 2 Kodiak Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I can't believe what I'm reading here. It's 5 $. And it's completely optional. If you want Loki to get all of your donation then I'm sure you can send them to him via Paypal or something. Personally I'm going to keep throwing my money at anyone developing stuff for this game that I love.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited May 2014
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Fugly orange AV still in? Bad, bad. No milking DLCs for me, then. Too bad I will be dropping out on map rotations, but that's life here in DLC land.
    @Kamamura the DLC is for the (new) cosmetics only, you get everything else for free. Including the map.
    You will never see DLC spliting up the playerbase in NS2.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Obraxis wrote: »
    allows for the continued development of their games.
    No matter your reason for wanting to separate pay, @elodea‌ , the consequence mentioned here ^ should be enough for you, if you do in fact mean what you say and truly wish to support community members.
    This is because it gives funding and justification to include future builds where other community members get to contribute.
    Paying them separately does not allow for this to occur.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Please stop going on about player info for steam, it does nothing. I've already stated many times it's very unlikely to get fixed, constantly complaining about it does nothing.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »

I know it's crazy for people to expect basic functionality to work... but that's the world we live in.

Right on brother. +1
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Doesn't seem to have done anything so far does it? Didn't do anything for Skulk sounds, didn't do anything for Mineshaft, doesn't make it go any faster. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't need to be fixed, but I've already tried NUMEROUS times to get it fixed, and it hasn't done a thing. Don't expect it to be fixed for at least another month or more. Besides, complaining about it on the forums does nothing because the most of the devs don't even read the forums
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited May 2014
    It raises awareness. If people stop complaining about it it is more likely to be forgotten.

And I'm not trying to insult your memory here - it's just that if people don't complain about it, better fix the more important stuff first, right?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    elodea wrote: »
    the dlc content that is behind the paywall is community content.
    The DLC content in the skins package was paid for by UWE, it wasn't done for free.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It's been stated many times that a fix for that has simply not been possible yet. Before and after this build was released, don't know why any of you expected that it would be. It's like saying I know we cant have ice cream because we don't have milk to churn it from, but GOSH DAMMIT where is my ice cream?!

I'm sure once cows are available, we'll get our ice cream back.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I am playing on server with NS2+, I can not see current comm and and tres as marine on my HUD (wasn't alien yet), tried every option, not sure if it's NS2+ or 265 problem
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    xen32 wrote: »
    I am playing on server with NS2+, I can not see current comm and and tres as marine on my HUD (wasn't alien yet), tried every option, not sure if it's NS2+ or 265 problem
    There is an option called "Comm name/Team res", set that to On. It's in the HUD tab.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There is an option called "Comm name/Team res", set that to On. It's in the HUD tab.

I've switched to HUD tab (had no idea there are tabs, thanks), it was ON. Now I'm alien and it's pregame still and I see tres.
    Before map change, that was chat massage that NS2+ was updated.

So far, looks like, things are fixed by default. Haven't playe real match yet. I will report if it is still broken for me.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It raises awareness.
    How much more awareness do you want than High priority bug reports, every single PT and engine developer knowing about it, and bugging the primary developer (who cannot fix it) who goes blue in the face telling everyone that he's done what he can??

I mean maybe if you garnered a 3,000 person petition and carpet combed uwe twitter feeds... Maybe you'd convince them it's important enough to reallocate resources for it, lol..

Shy of that, trust me everyone involved knows exactly what needs fixing / improvement. That is rarely the issue. Thank you for your feedback though, none the less ;-)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited May 2014
    But I guess the main goal is to solve main issues (for players)? Because this one, is clearly the one everybody hears since Build 263. I think, yeah, it is cool to have community players who are working on NS2 to improve the game, that's enough to see this Build 265 and Samus, Rantology, Loki & all PT players work to make last patch possible. Afaik, this is clearly what most part of community players criticizes: bugs & issues. Everyone can easily know a new patch means some new problems, ok. And we know, the next ones will solve that. But this is not the most important bugs that are solved anyway, that's the problem. A lot of people think now: new build = new bugs = we have to wait so many months to see them solved, etc for next builds.

PS: my message isn't to be mean, only wanted to give my own opinion.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Feedback DLC:
    -Its really nice how the DLC system works, really simple (buy on steam and done).
    -A bit confusing is that the setup-menu is only viewable when connected to a server.
    -The setup menu has kinda overly aggresive sounds (BAMMM! NEW SKIN).
    Pelargir wrote: »
    But this is not the most important bugs that are solved anyway
    But that's the crux of the issue, as mentioned already: it's an issue of resources.
    Fixing the more important bugs typically requires an engine developer, and currently (a year and a half after launch) they are very busy with other things.

If anything, we should be petitioning for samus to learn C++ and to get full source access! (or clone Max) :-P
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yup, I think there's 3 problems currently with the customisation screen.

1. Have to be in a server to access it (the big one)
    2. Annoying beeping sounds for everything you do
    3. Clicking on next or previous arrows doesn't start at the beginning of the list again, just does nothing

Would also like to be able to click and drag on the gun to rotate it in any direction, that's be cool. And nothing there for shotguns, pistols, GLs, FTs, Onos or melee yet. Should be able to see what our models look like in the main menu, like in Samusdroids main menu poses mod.
    edited May 2014
    Jekt wrote: »

3. Clicking on next or previous arrows doesn't start at the beginning of the list again, just does nothing

Would also like to be able to click and drag on the gun to rotate it in any direction, that's be cool. And nothing there for shotguns, pistols, GLs, FTs, Onos or melee yet. Should be able to see what our models look like in the main menu, like in Samusdroids main menu poses mod.

1) Engine limitatoin
    2) There are no click sounds on everything you do
    3) That is not fixable
    4) You already can rotate the models....just use the slider.
    Menu pose mod was a cinematic for EVERY SINGLE variant....this is in code now, that is the huge difference.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer

I've switched to HUD tab (had no idea there are tabs, thanks), it was ON. Now I'm alien and it's pregame still and I see tres.
    Before map change, that was chat massage that NS2+ was updated.

So far, looks like, things are fixed by default. Haven't playe real match yet. I will report if it is still broken for me.
    Yeah I pushed an update to address this.

A long time ago that setting used to be default off because it depended on minimap showing, recently I made it independent and switched the default setting to it showing, but everyone had the old default set already. What I did to fix it is basically changed the name of the saved setting so it'd apply the default setting again for people that didn't notice.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

I think what he (and I) meant with our posts is that the patch was a let-down because of the huge amounts of hype built for it (maybe there's a part 2?)

bug fixes truly are great, it's just with all the hype you (or maybe just I did) kind of expect new features, not several bug fixes and the developer stamp of approval on an already released and playable map. i was excited to play NS2 today because I was expecting something big, something new.

edit: maybe i'm just spoiled because of all the previous "big" patches UWE has put out have been huge overhauls of core game mechanics, which sets a high bar for other patches in my head, which is unreasonable to expect.

Ehh, well Over-hyping has always been an issue present in previous builds, I'll give you that, unfortunately none of us have control over that aspect, if anything it should be a lesson to hold back your expectations just a bit moving forward ;)

Might I add that big title games like Call of Duty and Battlefield have their season passes or DLC packs that split their communities, and charge 10-15 bucks for skins and a map... which all go to those publishers... Just saying...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »

1) Engine limitatoin
    3) That is not fixable
    Menu pose mod was a cinematic for EVERY SINGLE variant....this is in code now, that is the huge difference.

I know it sounds unreasonable, but even though there's engine limitations.. couldn't they be fixed/improved? Since it's an official game we're talking about here and not a mod.

Not being able to choose your customizations prior to joining a server is a rather large oversight imo, since most of the time you would be forced onto a team, late joining a match, or worry about being booted for being afk in the ready room. If the game ever goes into the path of being funded by cosmetics, I urge the people working on it to look at Warframe as an example. They have a great system in place which even allows you to modify the little lights on your armor.
    edited May 2014

1) Engine limitatoin
    3) That is not fixable

I know it sounds unreasonable, but even though there's engine limitations.. couldn't they be fixed/improved? Since it's an official game we're talking about here and not a mod.

Not being able to choose your customizations prior to joining a server is a rather large oversight imo, since most of the time you would be forced onto a team, late joining a match, or worry about being booted for being afk in the ready room. If the game ever goes into the path of being funded by cosmetics, I urge the people working on it to look at Warframe as an example. They have a great system in place which even allows you to modify the little lights on your armor.

So...if we couldn't get engine fixes, what makes you think we could get an engine fix for this? It's impossible to do and is not fixable. Who wants to choose their skin before joining a server anyways. It's not an oversight. An oversight would completely missing the thought to do it. Planetside does it, I can think of a few others too. It's not uncommon whatsoever. Does that make it right? No, but it sure does justify it.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Who wants to choose their skin before joining a server anyways. It's not an oversight. An oversight would completely missing the thought to do it.

It's convenience, something the game isn't very good at sometimes. Also don't just say "Who wants to choose their skin before joining a server anyways." when the person who brought the conversation up was commenting on the inability to do so in the first place. We had it before the customization menu was a thing, other games has it, people like it.
    So...if we couldn't get engine fixes, what makes you think we could get an engine fix for this? It's impossible to do and is not fixable.

If the game is going to have a sloppy implementation of anything why is it worth adding it at all?
    Yeah well it's not the first time something in NS2 is inconvenient and behind in technology.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    May I suggest we all tone down the accusations and roughness of these comments?

* How about 'Can you tell us why we can not customize while not in server, many like that feature.'
    - 'Its a engine limitation, so noone is available to fix it.'

It seems the mood in this topic is going darker every page.
    In related topic questions.. are skulksounds still to loud, forcing folk like me to ns2+, or is it now patched to normal levels again. I did not see it in the patch notes. (and I did not have time to test, unfortunately)
    edited May 2014
    Yeah well it's not the first time something in NS2 is inconvenient and behind in technology.

It doesn't help the fact that so many people feel the game is incomplete and we still have the build number on the upper-left corner of the screen. Why is this still a thing?

Being nitpicky now, but the build number still being displayed is a criticism I've had for a while.
    May I suggest we all tone down the accusations and roughness of these comments?

* How about 'Can you tell us why we can not customize while not in server, many like that feature.'
    - 'Its a engine limitation, so noone is available to fix it.'

It seems the mood in this topic is going darker every page.
    In related topic questions.. are skulksounds still to loud, forcing folk like me to ns2+, or is it now patched to normal levels again. I did not see it in the patch notes. (and I did not have time to test, unfortunately)
    It's not in the patch notes, but the sound volume was lowered, I removed the code the moment the patch hit.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    blah, unfortunately some people will never be happy and need to take a reality check. The update was sweet, it opens up a new avenue for continued development for ns2 - 'Green sg/pistol' #shutupandtakemymoney.

The customization screen is also really cool! Top job to who ever was involved for overcoming technical limitations that people don't understand or appreciate.
    I don't think we NEED any more maps but obviously any community made maps being made official is fine by me.

A few bug fixes are still needed but about those weapon skins :]