Natural Selection 2 Kodiak Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Colored visors and ammo counters was something I wanted to do but it is not possible easily
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited May 2014
    Still no IP spawn/ phase gate stuck fix (introduced by the new collision system a few months back and probably the most annoying bugs of NS2 at the moment).

Nor player names not correctly revealing them selves on servers fix (this affects in game browser, Steam and Gametracker). Broken by build 263.

The following fixes / changes as well over due but very welcomed:

1) Fixed massive lag caused when using webadmin on a server (annoyed me for a year and a half)
    2) Force even teams is now pre-game only and has a new console command sv_forceeventeams (finally this vote is actually usable)
    3) Mod load percentage on load screen (nice little touch, what happens if a mod fails to load, will it show 0% or not be listed at all?)

We still need an backup way of loading mods if Steam workshop servers fail to cough up the required mods (which they often do during game sale periods).

Other than those grumbles, keep up the good work.

On the note of Kodiak, Kodiak is an awesome map and it's great to see map creators get some recognition and money for their hard work but £5 is way too much for a few skins and just one map in my opinion.

I'd pay a fiver for Combat standalone if they sort out the game play balance issues with the over powered xenocide and mass grenade launcher spam which has plagued it for a very long time (such simple fixes too) but that's about it.

Edit: I just joined a server with Kodiak on without owning the DLC, i'm confused, do you only have to buy it if you wish to host the map?

Nope, can host it too, assuming it's just bundled and 50% goes to Loki, fair enough, still £2.50 for a few skins and a skin customization system, wtf.
  • IRONF1STIRONF1ST Join Date: 2013-12-01 Member: 189671Members
    Oh man 3 months later that bug is finally fixed.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Noticed that ns2+ blocks the customization menu. made me a sad panda.

Other than that good work everyone and Ulmont especially.

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Confused wrote: »

The customization menu works perfectly with NS2+, maybe you're confused because the customization menu only appears ingame?
  • FeathermonsterFeathermonster California Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187312Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    I can definitely see how this update will potentially be encouraging map makers (and potential map makers like myself, hah) to actually follow through with completing their maps. More community content, go go go!

Also stoked about the sensitivity values <1 being put in too. :D And minimap names. And the parasite stuff. And other things.

Congrats to Loki, and looking forward to see what pubs think of the map once they're past the "OH GOD, I HATE IT, IT'S NEW AND DIFFERENT" stage. :)
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    To bad a lot of ppl don't like kodiak, I had it on for a very long time, don't get me wrong, I like it, a large proportion of the community doesn't. It let my server die multiple times and I had to remove it from the cycle.

skins are always welcome
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hello Mineshaft my old friend
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Narfwak wrote: »
    @Ulmont #1 lamp NA

EXCUSE ME. You told ME that I was the best lamp NA for sitting under a bridge for 20 minutes with my exo lights on. DO YOU TELL ALL THE PT'S THIS?
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    the_tick wrote: »
    To bad a lot of ppl don't like kodiak, I had it on for a very long time, don't get me wrong, I like it, a large proportion of the community doesn't. It let my server die multiple times and I had to remove it from the cycle.

skins are always welcome

Nobody likes new maps. Kodiak in particular is a very different play style - It feels like there's not enough cover, however you can easily hide in plain sight in the trees and such. Just give everyone time to adapt. I didn't like it at first either and I was playtesting it to be released.
  • STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow

skins are always welcome

I think its to do with the sheer amount of cover available for the aliens in parts of the map, cover that they can simply fly through as well, marines to win have to stick to the passageways where they are used to fighting without foliage breaking there LoS.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now that kodiak is official I hope people begin to like it. Kodiak is a great map. Except the competitive players, no pubber in game gives me any rational reason not to play that map. Custom maps have a negative stigma on them so is really good to see this go official.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just to clarify,

You don't need to buy the DLC to play on Kodiak, the DLC is just the skins and decal correct?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Benson wrote: »
    Just to clarify,

You don't need to buy the DLC to play on Kodiak, the DLC is just the skins and decal correct?

Correct.

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Benson wrote: »
    Just to clarify,

Correct.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Hello Mineshaft my old friend

We've come to fight in you again

Nevermind meatmachine beat me too it (bigger = better)

And nice job guys! Glad i took a day off work for tomorrow. :)
    Lets try this puppy!
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kodiak. Awesome.

Will look into purchasing the Kodiak pack when the time comes and I have more time for NS2. Very busy at the moment...
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, to bad you removed it from the cycle :\
    The map is awesome - ~S! to Loki!

It offers a completely different way of playing, because you can cover the large portion of the map in "open" terrain, instead of the usual corridors, vents and hallways.
    Lerks and Jetpackers (and Skulks, once they get leap) have all the freedom they want, around the river-area, where the upper skies are only limited by the big biosphere itself.

The river is a heaven for gorges, btw.
    I love bellysliding along the entire length XD
    And the new "cover system" is also a welcome change, imo...especially for aliens.
    Water-spray and vegetation, something to get used to, but it works - even with stock skulk-skin :P

And thx once again to all those involved, for all the fixes and improvements.

edit *question:
    Once on a server, if I enable a Kodiak-Pack skin, will it get disabled when I join a different server next?
    And the way it works also means, that the skin will stay enabled on map-change, I guess....something to remember, lol.

• the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    To UWE,

Can I have some more information what has changed regarding the webadmin, when I enable it, will it put extra strain on that one core which is used for server data calculation?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    So... @Loki .... I was wondering if I could borrow some money...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Confused wrote: »

The customization menu works perfectly with NS2+, maybe you're confused because the customization menu only appears ingame?

Why does it do that, anyway? Is there a technical reason?
    Decoy wrote: »

skins are always welcome

Nobody likes new maps. Kodiak in particular is a very different play style - It feels like there's not enough cover, however you can easily hide in plain sight in the trees and such. Just give everyone time to adapt. I didn't like it at first either and I was playtesting it to be released.

Yes, but now that Kodiak draws all the hate we get to play eclipse! How awesome is that?

:D
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    I think the price is fine. Already bought. The skulk looks very cool.

I hope this is just the beginning though, that this is just a testing bed for hopefully bigger things to come. I don't think skins will bring new players in, or bring old players back so any sales will be relative to the current player base and probably won't be terribly impressive. But that's just a starting point. I'll probably start a new thread actually for why I think F2P is the only way to go from here to expand the potential player base and increase potential revenue from skins or models like these and keep NS2 going. I won't pretend to be an expert, but I think that's the next step.

Well done to Loki and the other community members that have volunteered and contributed to the patch with no immediate monetary incentive. (Mendasp, Remi.D, Samus, All the play testers)
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hmmm.
    Steam game Info is still broken, is there even a care in the world to fix this?
    Why was organized play ever added 'in development' if it's still not done and now no one touches the thing.
    I'm not sure why there needed to be a new thing to change your skins, but why does it require you to be in a game?

Kodiak nice pub map, but bad FPS even in 6v6. Congrats to Loki though.
  • MGS-3MGS-3 France Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58540Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester