Natural Selection 2 Kodiak Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Might want to credit modders properly for the contributed fixes/features/updates:

Fixes:
    Fixed massive lag caused when using webadmin on a server (Thanks bawNg!)
    Fixed Alien structures not pulsing red when taking damage from being uncysted (Thanks Mendasp!)
    Fixed Skulk growl sound always playing when holding the walk key (Thanks Mendasp!)

Features:
    Added player names to minimap. Added GUI option, and console command minimapnames to toggle the names (Thanks remi.D!)
    Added mod download percentage to loading screen (Thanks Dragon!)
    Parasited Marine name tags and minimap blips now appear yellow (Thanks Mendasp!) <-- also the minimap blips don't appear yellow, the minimap names appear yellow.
    Added support for non-clingable geometry to stop Skulks/Lerks/Mines/Clogs clinging to invisible geometry. Use surface = “nocling” in material file (Thanks matso!)

Also missed this item:
    Unbuilt structures flash dark red when attacked (Thanks remi.D!)

Updated Veil/Summit... thanks Mendasp! Maybe this last one isn't necessary as I'm in the credits already, but since it's all about community contributions... :D

Edit: Just noticed it says I only update Summit in the credits when I also update Veil. Might want to fix that too. It says so twice, btw, one at the top, one near the bottom.
    Thanks for that list, I just finished working on it.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    AceDude wrote: »
    Might want to credit modders properly for the contributed fixes/features/updates:

Fixes:
    Fixed Alien structures not pulsing red when taking damage from being uncysted (Thanks Mendasp!)
    Fixed Skulk growl sound always playing when holding the walk key (Thanks Mendasp!)

Features:
    Added player names to minimap. Added GUI option, and console command minimapnames to toggle the names (Thanks remi.D!)
    Parasited Marine name tags and minimap blips now appear yellow (Thanks Mendasp!) <-- also the minimap blips don't appear yellow, the minimap names appear yellow.
    Added support for non-clingable geometry to stop Skulks/Lerks/Mines/Clogs clinging to invisible geometry. Use surface = “nocling” in material file (Thanks matso!)

Also missed this item:

Updated Veil/Summit... thanks Mendasp! Maybe this last one isn't necessary as I'm in the credits already, but since it's all about community contributions... :D

Edit: Just noticed it says I only update Summit in the credits when I also update Veil. Might want to fix that too. It says so twice, btw, one at the top, one near the bottom.

Thank you for updating it!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    AceDude wrote: »

Fixes:

Features:

Also missed this item:

Thanks for that! :)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Some of competitive players are working to make some community maps playable, like Kodiak, Mineral or Fracture for example more recently. If a map is balanced for 6 vs. 6, imo, that's balanced for public as well. But yeah, I like the idea to make community maps official if these maps are good enough to be played in public like Kodiak, some fun on this map and that's a pretty good thing to "reward" mappers.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    When can we expect the NS+ DLC?
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    edited May 2014
    Expect the worst, hope for the best..

Wasn't disappointed because I didn't expect much..so good job on another patch.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    @samus , just take a day or two off the forums and any mod work. Relax a bit. I can tell you're getting frustrated (and justifiably so). And, maybe, it'll get more people speaking in your stead. This wasn't your release afterall.

I do, however, understand a lot of the build expectations weren't what people expected, to say the least.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    RapGod wrote: »
    @samus , just take a day or two off the forums and any mod work. Relax a bit. I can tell you're getting frustrated (and justifiably so). And, maybe, it'll get more people speaking in your stead. This wasn't your release afterall.

I do, however, understand a lot of the build expectations weren't what people expected, to say the least.

I plan on playing a LOT of Planetside during the double XP weekend for all players
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »

I plan on playing a LOT of Planetside during the double XP weekend for all players

I think RapGod might agree things like a day at the park or a nice walk in the country side would be more suitable. ;p

Little flowers need sunlight to grow.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    May I suggest we all tone down the accusations and roughness of these comments?

I think Samus is slowly starting to realize why developers (not just NS2 ones either) tend not to post as often as he does on forums. :p You can't make everybody happy and you only get angry for trying.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited May 2014
    CCTEE wrote: »

I think RapGod might agree things like a day at the park or a nice walk in the country side would be more suitable. ;p

Little flowers need sunlight to grow.

Hey, whatever gives your mind a break. The Outside is always good, but sadly, it is much more difficult to get away with killing people on the Outside. In the Inside, people can kill in games. Idk. The Outside sounds boring.

That video makes me wanna pt maps lol
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Equip yourself with camouflage armor to blend in and improve your chances of survival

Why would you write something like that?
    I'm surprised about the lack of shit storm to be honest. Its pretty much pay to win lite, and seems to be a possible future trend.
    A while ago I said that community made premium content was a viable option if done right. This is not "done right". This is flat out saying "buy this and have an edge".
    Be it a real issue or just a poorly worded marketing blurb remains to be seen, but I don't like it either way.
    I've clocked up thousands of hours between NS1 and NS2, but at the moment I lost my last bit of motivation to play, stream and promote the game. Straw that broke the camels back I suppose.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Equip yourself with camouflage armor to blend in and improve your chances of survival

I'm surprised about the lack of shit storm to be honest. Its pretty much pay to win lite, and seems to be a possible future trend.
    A while ago I said that community made premium content was a viable option if done right. This is not "done right". This is flat out saying "buy this and have an edge".
    Be it a real issue or just a poorly worded marketing blurb remains to be seen, but I don't like it either way.
    I've clocked up thousands of hours between NS1 and NS2, but at the moment I lost my last bit of motivation to play, stream and promote the game. Straw that broke the camels back I suppose.

Chill out. :P

A simple skin change isn't going to make people pros.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Yeah, these skins are perfect. We can use them on every maps. As you said, no advantages or disadvantages like some people thought for the shadow skulk if I remember. Just one regret, cannot use Deluxe, Black Armor, or Reinforced Armors in addition to the Kodiak pack. It's pretty cool to see all these changes on Kodiak, I remember when I played it so months ago, and now, that's just an awesome work made by PT team & mappers. There are some small bugs but overall, beautiful map, original, no fps drops, etc, and the best, balanced.

For curious players, try 40 slots server on Kodiak. Fun.

edited May 2014

Chill out. :P

A simple skin change isn't going to make people pros.

It's the principle, not the skin that bothers me. As I said, its just the straw that broke the camels back. My enthusiasm for the game has been steadily declining for a while now. NS is like a bad habit so I'll probably end up coming back eventually, if there's anything left to come back to, but for now I have no motivation to play anything other than the combat mod which is pretty much dead.
    rantology wrote: »
    Well, the marine skins are irrelevant because of alienvision, but I did try to make the skulk skin very comparable to the vanilla skulk in terms of visibility and contrast - it should hopefully provide no noticeable advantages nor disadvantages.

@rantology
    That may be the case from your point of view, and I appreciate that you tried to make that effort, but its simply not how it's being marketed.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    I'm surprised about the lack of shit storm to be honest.
    There's no shit storm, precisely because it was "done right" by Rantology and there isn't an issue.. have you even tried it yet? I don't think someone would be as concerned as you if they had.
    edited May 2014
    The straw that broke the camels back would be the same one you're grasping at. However you perceive the marketing, the skins are not pay to win as they provide no advantages, it's as simple as that. They just look (really) cool.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I'm surprised about the lack of shit storm to be honest.
    There's no shit storm, precisely because it was "done right" by Rantology and there isn't an issue.. have you even tried it yet? I don't think someone would be as concerned as you if they had.

Its marketed as pay to win, that's my issue. Its also my opinion, one that you are free to disagree with but won't change by insisting its fine. I'm also not concerned, just voicing my opinion on the subject.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Jekt wrote: »
    Yup, I think there's 3 problems currently with the customisation screen.

1. Have to be in a server to access it (the big one)
    2. Annoying beeping sounds for everything you do
    3. Clicking on next or previous arrows doesn't start at the beginning of the list again, just does nothing

Would also like to be able to click and drag on the gun to rotate it in any direction, that's be cool. And nothing there for shotguns, pistols, GLs, FTs, Onos or melee yet. Should be able to see what our models look like in the main menu, like in Samusdroids main menu poses mod.

1) Engine limitatoin
    2) There are no click sounds on everything you do
    3) That is not fixable
    4) You already can rotate the models....just use the slider.
    Menu pose mod was a cinematic for EVERY SINGLE variant....this is in code now, that is the huge difference.

Sucks about the engine limitations then. This is what I meant about the rotation though.

Go to 5:20
    More convenient than a slider. MINOR NITPICK.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    i would like to donate to SAMUS & LOKI pls give me your paypals on steam. i don't want the skins. I want to reward your hard work & dedication to this game. UWE have left us high and dry and you boys have picked up the peices.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    nezz wrote: »
    i would like to donate to SAMUS & LOKI pls give me your paypals on steam. i don't want the skins. I want to reward your hard work & dedication to this game. UWE have left us high and dry and you boys have picked up the peices.

High and dry? What the hell are you talking about? I'm going to venture a guess here, but I'm going to say at this point in time that it would be financially irresponsible for UWE to pay out to the mapper the same kind of money they did for Veil and Summit, which was a VERY long time ago, and back when this game was still technically in development. The fact that they went out of their way to provide Loki with some compensation for his hard work is not what I'd call leaving the community "high and dry."
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Yup, I think there's 3 problems currently with the customisation screen.

1. Have to be in a server to access it (the big one)
    2. Annoying beeping sounds for everything you do
    3. Clicking on next or previous arrows doesn't start at the beginning of the list again, just does nothing

Would also like to be able to click and drag on the gun to rotate it in any direction, that's be cool. And nothing there for shotguns, pistols, GLs, FTs, Onos or melee yet. Should be able to see what our models look like in the main menu, like in Samusdroids main menu poses mod.

1) Engine limitatoin
    2) There are no click sounds on everything you do
    3) That is not fixable
    4) You already can rotate the models....just use the slider.
    Menu pose mod was a cinematic for EVERY SINGLE variant....this is in code now, that is the huge difference.

Sucks about the engine limitations then. This is what I meant about the rotation though.

Go to 5:20
    More convenient than a slider. MINOR NITPICK.

It was the first thing that myself and others mentioned when I saw the implementation we have, but since any model rotation at all actually snuck in at the end of development after build lockdown (sneaky Samus!) it was more than pointless to complain about a feature that worked perfectly fine and didn't have any bugs. Building menu GUIs is a HUGE pain in the ass in spark (part of the reason why the gather system uses a web form), so we're all quite pleased that we got anything at all and that we managed to get all the nasty bugs out.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    @Blarney_Stone‌ !

Hello mineshaft my old friend,
    I've come to play on you again
    Because a bug was softly creeping
    A Navmesh hole, paths were seeping
    And the memory of cysting out of caves
    Still remains
    within the sound of cystdrops

And then with you gone I heard
    Some far-off skulks and then a lerk
    Skulks are growling while they're walking
    Skulks are deafening when they're jumping
    Skulks that can be heard a million rooms away
    Because we hate
    the damn sound of loudskulks

@meatmachine I loved it so much, I finished writing the rest of the verses. Hope you don't mind. Working to record a version to share with you guys (but I can't really sing), so if someone else will take up the baton... Its been a while since we had a parody song for NS.

Here is the lyrics (I changed some of yours to make it fit the tempo better).

Hello Mineshaft my old friend,
    I've come and play on you again
    Because a bug was softly creeping
    Navmesh hole, paths were seeping
    And the memory-- of cysting out of caves
    Still remains
    within the sound of cyst drops

And then with you gone I heard
    far-off skulks and a lerk
    skulks growling while they're walking
    skulks are deafening when they're jumping
    when skulks can be heard by the 'rines a few rooms away
    Because we hate
    the damn sound of loud skulks

And in the dim red lights I saw
    Forty skulks and maybe more
    Marines yelling come on meds
    Skulks jumping while biting
    Lerks soaring along, their pack play ever dare
    shade in repair
    disturb the sound of cyst drops

Fools said I you do not know
    Central is where a harvester grows
    Hear teh comm that's yelling at you
    take the pg to repair, I beg you
    But my words, like silent raindrops fell
    And Echoed
    in the sudden whip rush

And the people strafed and jumped
    to the biting skulks they evade
    and the fades flashed in and out
    in the words of the khamm
    And the 'rines are screwed now that The Gap has been blocked by our gorge walls
    CC falls
    Whispered in the sounds of Cyst drops

EDIT: typos
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

Wow, I...just wow, I'm mindblown how you came to the conclusion.

Sure, the marketing for NS2's in general has always been...let's say, "creative". But I see it as linking the release of the map to an purchase transaction. to excite new players into purchase the theme, not to tell them that this will give the an edge. What would you have them say instead? It would have to be something encourages the purchase of the skins but fits your criteria.

I personally keep my black armor on because the goggles, but with this logic, me standing in a low lit environment should give me the advantage too, why isn't that a problem?

With thousands of hours played, one should know that these skins won't give any advantage. But to humor the idea, the stock "Green" Marine armor available to everyone should be just as effective in hiding in green foliage. I remind you that marines are outlined in orange, and can be spotted even easier looking at the map or using aura.

If anything, I have a harder time spotting aliens hiding in the rocks or behind trees, but for me that's apart of the game.
  • alf90alf90 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    edited May 2014
    Wait wut, these skins are not going to give me an unfair advantage!?! i spent all my monies on nothing :c

Way to crush my dreams guys, i thought i was gonna be like arnie hiding from predator skulks, i was just waiting for the mud DLC to complete the package.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    New skins as DLC are worth money.

New sayings/taunts as DLC are worth GOLD.

Take sayings from Starship Troopers, Alien, Predator (think fade making the predator clicking noise), hell, even Warhammer. Anything that fits the theme of NS2 (nothing silly)

I'd easily pay ~$1.99 per saying, just to make the game more interesting.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Some bugs:
    d51cb0fe51242bcb63453f4e477bc2.jpg

The keep clear decal disappear/flicker depending on position:

b1f83c3aab98a4f49d7797290e726b.jpg

a4cf31a2f27979f8b7ab7bc0cf90d1.jpg

I still can climb over here without any help.
    7369d3ed9a5a74f1d2f41e3f1804aa.jpg
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Cannon_FodderAUS‌ I may have something in the works already ;)