NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    I know about the option, I just wanted to remind you the horrors of a system like that :p
  • FeathermonsterFeathermonster California Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187312Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Mendasp wrote: »
    This mod just gets better and better!

Is there any way to get a notification on the side of the screen for casters in spectate for if a lerk dies much like what happens with fade/onos? And similarly, is there any way to make said events clickable so that they'd take you where said death occurred or would that start getting too complicated? Teammate actually was mentioning these but though I should post them since I'm the caster, heh. Yeah, only would be useful for a small fraction of the community, but dang it'd be useful. :D
    To be honest it has always bothered me that Lerks don't show up as notifications as that is usually a big deal (especially early game)... I'll look into that.

Edit: Done. As for the clicking and centering the camera, if you are quick enough you can click the player name on the side and press 2 and that should center the camera where he died.

Epic! Can't wait to see that next time I cast. :D

True enough on the latter part. I guess I'll actually just have to get quicker at it rather than flailing around, heh.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    the range of the shift's energy regen is larger than the echo range (which is what it looks like your mod shows in the video). if that's the case, any chance you can show an outer ring the size of the regen range? kind of tired of commanders trying to tell me i'm outside the range of a shift when I know i'm not, or just people in general not having a clue on the size. if I had to guess i'd say it shares the size of the crag/shade.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    the range of the shift's energy regen is larger than the echo range (which is what it looks like your mod shows in the video). if that's the case, any chance you can show an outer ring the size of the regen range? kind of tired of commanders trying to tell me i'm outside the range of a shift when I know i'm not, or just people in general not having a clue on the size. if I had to guess i'd say it shares the size of the crag/shade.
    The range shown is the same the commander gets when he selects a structure, it's defined for each building, so I didn't know which buildings were going to show a circle or not, or which one.

However, you owe me. I added the second ring to the dropping and to the selection, which you could think they are related but they are not.

Dropping
    ITOPcNd.png

Selected
    OEEKL2s.png

By the way the autopickup better primary weapon option is defaulted to off, in case anyone was wondering.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    I am getting a client join error I think is ns2+ related with my server. On the server I see no error. In the meantime no one can join the server but me. Don't know if this is where you want this but I will leave it here anyways.

The following image is from @supereffective trying to join my server. I see chud at the bottom making me think it is ns2+ related.
    Pbhnx6h.jpg
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    james888 wrote: »
    I am getting a client join error I think is ns2+ related with my server. On the server I see no error. In the meantime no one can join the server but me. Don't know if this is where you want this but I will leave it here anyways.

The following image is from @supereffective trying to join my server. I see chud at the bottom making me think it is ns2+ related.
    Pbhnx6h.jpg

The last issue is well known and will be fixed with the next ns2+ build afaik but it's not causing the join issue, could you maybe get the complete log ?
  • RetracedRetraced Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182616Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Is it possible to have the auto weapon pickup option disabled by default? It's an an incredibly handy little feature -when you know it's there-, but on pub servers running the mod (more than one, that I've observed), it's been causing a decent amount of confusion. Most of it is because of shotgun juggling, but also comes up when marines try to give one teammate a welder, but another picks it up instead, etc. Obviously not a game breaker at all, but it seems like a simple tweak.

I just like that with most of the interface changing features, NS2+ requires that you 'opt in' or change them yourself first. It ensures that the players actually -know- what was changed vs vanilla, instead of disorienting them when certain actions suddenly behave in different ways for "unknown" purposes.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    Retraced wrote: »
    Is it possible to have the auto weapon pickup option disabled by default? It's an an incredibly handy little feature -when you know it's there-, but on pub servers running the mod (more than one, that I've observed), it's been causing a decent amount of confusion. Most of it is because of shotgun juggling, but also comes up when marines try to give one teammate a welder, but another picks it up instead, etc. Obviously not a game breaker at all, but it seems like a simple tweak.

I just like that with most of the interface changing features, NS2+ requires that you 'opt in' or change them yourself first. It ensures that the players actually -know- what was changed vs vanilla, instead of disorienting them when certain actions suddenly behave in different ways for "unknown" purposes.
    I understand that it's confusing for players to have things changed around. And it is one of my goals to have the game be pretty much vanilla if you don't open the options menu. I am not 100% sure what to do in this case, the thing is I believe this is how it should be in vanilla and it is a type of change like the yellow parasited names, or upgrades in insight, etc, where it's just better and it doesn't even need a toggle, although in this case I provided one. With this particular case it's going to take people a bit to get used to it, just like if it was a change for vanilla. On the other hand, if it defaults to off, a lot of people won't even know it's there...
    james888 wrote: »

Pbhnx6h.jpg
    I need the entire log and mods installed in this server for me to give an answer if it's related to my mod or not, but as Ghoul said, that last error is unrelated to the one actually happening before.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Noooo, no-one needs to know when a lerk flashes!!

Great updates as ever Mendasp!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    - Added "impulse" command to trigger voice overs without using the request menu. (Thanks remi.D!)
    Type "impulse" in the console to find out how to use this. You can bind this command to a key so you could do:

bind X impulse FollowMe LetsMove

and if you were a marine it would randomly play one of those two sounds, or

bind X impulse Covering Chuckle

and if you were alien it would do the chuckle while if you were marine it would do the "I'm covering you" sound.

:)
  • RetracedRetraced Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182616Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Nice update, as always!
    Retraced wrote: »

I understand that it's confusing for players to have things changed around. And it is one of my goals to have the game be pretty much vanilla if you don't open the options menu. I am not 100% sure what to do in this case, the thing is I believe this is how it should be in vanilla and it is a type of change like the yellow parasited names, or upgrades in insight, etc, where it's just better and it doesn't even need a toggle, although in this case I provided one. With this particular case it's going to take people a bit to get used to it, just like if it was a change for vanilla. On the other hand, if it defaults to off, a lot of people won't even know it's there...

Regarding the default to off leading to people not knowing about it: the same argument could be made for every fantastic NS2+ interface improvement that is set to off by default. People manage to find those just fine, from what I can tell.

No disagreement from me on it being better than vanilla though! It definitely is, but I would say that (again, in a pub setting, not comp) having players constantly join that are used to non-NS2+ servers just results in many people being confused by the feature's presence (or lack thereof). The effect of user input being different from server to server without any notification for the less observant players (... who tend to be the loudest when annoyed) results in a less than fantastic situation. The parasite yellow nameplate was a non-issue since it didn't have an effect on user input, and didn't result in the rage-y responses I've been seeing (I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately).

Again, I'm not saying that this is gamebreaking in any way. But as a rule I'd personally recommend that anything that changes user input behavior should be disabled by default (assuming there's a toggle in the first place), even if it's a no brainer, like many of the UI quality of life improvements.
    Alright, pushed an update that resets the setting, so the new default (off) takes place.
    Thanks, Mendasp! Hopefully that's something that can make its way into the main game soon, since I would love to always utilize the feature.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    It's been months that we tried to push it. But instead, time got used on another useless and cumbersome system :/
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So many times the Peasant Edition has caused me to lose games to fail beacons.

Thanks NS2+ :D
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    my team actually just dropped a round in an nsl match due in part to this bug, was just thinking about looking into it myself :P once again, you're fixing all the things that are completely broken about this game and ruin fun and competitive play, amazing work.

what does everybody do about the whole map button issue with comming? i assume most people who comm a lot use a key other than "c" for their map, right?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2014
    - Added "impulse" command to trigger voice overs without using the request menu. (Thanks remi.D!)
    - Added showing number of connecting players to the scoreboard. (Thanks remi.D!)
    - Added showing if a marine has a jetpack to the scoreboard. (Thanks Wyzcrack and remi.D!)
    - Fixed scoreboard not showing spectators to players on teams. (Thanks Wyzcrack and remi.D!)
    - Extra checks in main menu functionality so it doesn't break on mod updates.
    - Commanders can now see building ranges before dropping them.
    - Added Lerk deaths to Insight alerts.
    - Added hints to option inputs.
    - Added autopickup better primary weapon option (default off). Available in Misc. tab.

Even more great additions. Keep them coming ^^

EDIT: Would it be possible to fix the fade/onos taunt volume so its consistent with the lerks/gorges? It's so quiet you can't even hear the taunt.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    kmg wrote: »
    what does everybody do about the whole map button issue with comming? i assume most people who comm a lot use a key other than "c" for their map, right?
    R.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Great stuff as always.
    - Added showing number of connecting players to the scoreboard. (Thanks remi.D!)

I love this. However, last night it only worked 50 % of the time. Known problem?
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Great stuff as always.

I love this. However, last night it only worked 50 % of the time. Known problem?

There is a fix for this in today's patch, but I'm not sure about specifics, remi did it.
    - When Autopickup is enabled Welders, Mines and Pistols will no longer show a pickup hint when running over them. (Thanks remi.D)
    - Autopickup will now pick up a weapon more quickly if it was not the last weapon you dropped. (Thanks remi.D)
    - Fixed autopickup better weapons getting stuck in a loop of weapon switching sometimes. (Thanks remi.D)
    - Fixed commander selection bug that made buildings selected with hotgroups not respond properly sometimes.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    I kept throwing my gun on the ground the other night b/c I keep forgetting about auto-pickup and am a little retarded
    @Gibs‌ can't insult me if I insult myself first.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Spa wrote: »
    I kept throwing my gun on the ground the other night b/c I keep forgetting about auto-pickup and am a little retarded
    @Gibs‌ can't insult me if I insult myself first.

I had to turn it off before our match because I was doing the same thing out of habit! Going to have to learn to use it properly, having not played any non-NS2 fps games for such a long time.

• GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Roobubba wrote: »
    having not played any non-NS2 fps games for such a long time.

wat
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I am not 100% sure what to do in this case, the thing is I believe this is how it should be in vanilla and it is a type of change like the yellow parasited names, or upgrades in insight, etc, where it's just better and it doesn't even need a toggle, although in this case I provided one. With this particular case it's going to take people a bit to get used to it, just like if it was a change for vanilla. On the other hand, if it defaults to off, a lot of people won't even know it's there...

what about a quick passive prompt on the main menu that explains new features and gives the user an opportunity to toggle it on and off?

when I say passive I mean something closer to what TF2 has for its alerts. not like when you open NS2 for the first time after an update and it gives you a dialogue box that you're forced to interact with before you can do anything else.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited May 2014
    - Added pickup expire bar. You can now see how much time left you have to pick up things on the ground. Default is off. Available in the Misc. tab.

And a video without pro editing showing off the feature:
    Can you make a toggle for this for either equipment only or everything(Medkits/ammo). I fear certain commander's ability to spam medkits...
    ball2hi wrote: »
    - Added pickup expire bar. You can now see how much time left you have to pick up things on the ground. Default is off. Available in the Misc. tab.

And a video without pro editing showing off the feature:
    Can you make a toggle for this for either equipment only or everything(Medkits/ammo). I fear certain commander's ability to spam medkits...

It is done... next patch.