NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    so will there finally be toggleable viewmodels?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    so will there finally be toggleable viewmodels?

Maybe.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I know this mod is designed to be more geared towards fulfilling the needs of the competitive community, but I'd really appreciate the option to turn off flashlight atmospherics, leaving the other atmospherics turned on. I just really like the look of atmospherics, but the flashlight's strong fog-blast has made it un-playable.

All you would need to change (I think) is in Marine_Client.lua, line number 257. Change that from 0.2 to 0. Hmm... if you're feeling really generous, maybe an option to tone down all the other atmospherics on the maps? (ie "atmospherics multiplier: 0-1").
    While doing this long rewriting task I stumbled upon the code that enables/disables the map atmospherics, turns out that implementing this map atmospherics slider is as easy as the flashlight atmospherics one. Separate slider or the same slider as the flashlight? My first instinct is a separate slider...

Also I want to reiterate that the mod isn't focused just on competitive play, just making the game better.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I understand the desire for toggleable view models but I also have concerns about such an option. I could be wrong, but the effect of the view model removal could change balance. skulk vs marine gameplay is affected (negatively) by the gun model, and as this is such a key element of gameplay, unlike in non close combat games, I fear that allowing some players (nb those in the know already) to give themselves this advantage will be seen by many as unfair, as it will allow them to be even more effective in cqc.
    If it's a universally allowed option and the effect, if any, on balance is mitigated (buffing alien movement would be one possible way), then it could work. Otherwise, prepare for the tidal wave of forum hatred...
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I understand the desire for toggleable view models but I also have concerns about such an option. I could be wrong, but the effect of the view model removal could change balance. skulk vs marine gameplay is affected (negatively) by the gun model, and as this is such a key element of gameplay, unlike in non close combat games, I fear that allowing some players (nb those in the know already) to give themselves this advantage will be seen by many as unfair, as it will allow them to be even more effective in cqc.
    If it's a universally allowed option and the effect, if any, on balance is mitigated (buffing alien movement would be one possible way), then it could work. Otherwise, prepare for the tidal wave of forum hatred...

let the server hosts decide what they want to allow on their servers.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @turtsmcgurt indeed, but if it is part of ns2+ then there could well be a backlash against Mendasp's mod. It just feels like something that falls outside the intentions of ns2+ to me. A separate mod might be the safest way forward initially to gauge reactions. There would be no reason why it couldn't be integrated later if it's shown to be tolerated and balanced.
    edited April 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @turtsmcgurt indeed, but if it is part of ns2+ then there could well be a backlash against Mendasp's mod. It just feels like something that falls outside the intentions of ns2+ to me. A separate mod might be the safest way forward initially to gauge reactions. There would be no reason why it couldn't be integrated later if it's shown to be tolerated and balanced.

if it is as game breakingly imbalanced as some seem to think, there won't be servers with the option enabled after the first week or so, right? as soon as the alien win rate spikes up 10% on their servers, that is.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    what a baller. very much intrigued by these new alien bars. i want my alien health bar to be full width across the top edge of my screen :P
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    ugh, th
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Alright, here goes something else...

I am going to add the ability for server admins to disable some of the features. Now, before I get complaints from everyone, this will be clear from the ns2+ server browser as the servers with disabled features will appear marked somehow (haven't decided yet) and you will be able to see the disabled features from the server details window to see if you still want to join or not. The disabled features will also be announced to the player after joining.

I'm hoping most of the servers will be running the full mode still.

And as I mentioned before, I am in the process of rewriting a big chunk of the mod, so there will be that update before these options appear, while that happens I'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

that's going to suck depending on what features. it's already a pain trying to find a slot on servers with NS+, segregating the mod further is just going to be a hassle. it's already hard as it is trying to find a slot on a NS+ enabled server, i'd hate to have to start looking for servers with NS+ with enabled alien vision, etc.
    edited April 2014
    At the moment the way it works is that it will mark the ns2+ text in red if your options conflict with the blocked settings. The only options that can be blocked at the moment are map particles, nsl lights, and ambient sounds.

I do understand and share your concern, that's why it's taken so long for me to add these options, I am seriously hoping that the servers currently running the mod will keep running the full ns2+, and that this will only expand the mod to more servers.

Alien vision mods are allowed by the default consistency check so I don't see a reason to add that as an option to block even.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Would it be possible to have a transparent "HUD" in the center of your screen (Near your crosshair) with very small text showing ammo and health, ect?
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    kmg wrote: »

Shhhh many modders post patch preparation commits at github ;)

Update for Build 265. I removed all the fixes that are included with NS2 now. And as for the rest:

- Fixed console spam about disabled Hive stats when adding bots.
    - Added help text to the death stats to let players know which key brings up the stats again.
    - Added alien evolution progress bars.
    - If the mod is enabled in the mods list it will also let you look for servers in the main menu now.

This means there is no longer a need for NS2+ Server Browser... you can just activate NS2+ if you want to look for servers in the main menu.
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    I didn't include that file exactly, but the final result is almost the same, so I pushed a patch with:

- Rookies will show with a green name on the minimap. (Thanks remi.D!)
    - Commander evolved eggs now display progress bars too, to make it consistent with player eggs.
    - Added minimal motion tracking circle.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    1) HUD elements sometimes go missing now with custom hud
    2) Com and team res should be default to on
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    1) HUD elements sometimes go missing now with custom hud
    2) Com and team res should be default to on
    1) Define "HUD elements" and define when they go missing.
    2) Comm and team res are default on, the code is right there for you to take a look and see that they are on, but I'll copy and paste for you.
    			showcomm = {
    				name    = "CHUD_CommName",
    				label   = "Comm name/Team res",
    				tooltip = "Enables or disables showing the commander name and team resources.",
    				type    = "select",
    				values  = { "Off", "On" },
    				callback = CHUDSaveMenuSettings,
    				defaultValue = true,
    				category = "hud",
    				valueType = "bool",
    				sort = "C2",
    				applyFunction = function() CHUDRestartScripts({
    					"Hud/Marine/GUIMarineHUD",
    					"GUIAlienHUD",
    					}) end,
    			}, 

Just thought I'd post this. A few people(including myself) have gotten hitsounds/blood/skulk groan but didn't receive draw damage. I understand that the hitsounds check with the server before playing noise, correct? So, what is happening in these circumstances. Is the draw damage not coming up, or was there some miscommunication? This was happening before the current update.
    edited May 2014
    Was it pregame? Because I enabled hitsounds for pregame (which was just disabling the check if the game had started) and that is the only case that I can think of where that would ever happen.

The hitsounds in fact use the same function that makes those hit numbers from the server. Although the draw damage has a bug where the killing hit doesn't draw numbers (ie. 80 damage and last hit the skulk dies but it doesn't increase to 90).
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Was it pregame? Because I enabled hitsounds for pregame (which was just disabling the check if the game had started) and that is the only case that I can think of where that would ever happen.

I don't remember the other's incidents, but I know I've had a few during training, and so far one during a scrim. No killing blows though. I'll have to look out more for this and take note.
    - Added yellow outlines for parasited players in Insight.
    - Made the mods list sorted by Active > Subscribed > Alphabetically (this is also in the NS2+ Server Browser).
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    Had it installed today on my server,

Got multiple crashes on that server today, basically 1 in 2 mapchanges, I've removed it again, no problems now,

Dunno if it is something conflicting between some the mods running on the server already, but I am not going to run it on my server anymore.

Kind regards,

edited May 2014
    Client crashes? Server crashes? No logs? What other mods are you running? You could be more helpful here.
  • PolskaKielbasaPolskaKielbasa Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187917Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Hi mendasp,

Any chance you can add option to adjust the brightness or gamma ?
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    Server crashes,

No I don't have any logs, because when it crashes, it reboots, deleting the previous log.

Got 6 mods running,
    Shine
    ns2stats
    Tick's badgepack
    badges +
    tick's large server balance mod
    uke's alien vision

but don't worry about it, I think the advantage is to little to run it at all really, it is a nice extra but not really mandatory