NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I had tried a CompMod servers to check how works pickup expire bar with weapon time on ground reducing (CompMod URL,watch Marines -> Others) and just stumbled wtf weapon time on ground reducing doesn't work at all O_o
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I've played with NS2+ and CompMod and the bars worked... what server was this on?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Would it be possible to add the "gorge tunnel entrance, exit" from CompMod into NS2+? Seems like it fits well into the QoL improvement category. For those not familiar:

Gorges can select the tunnel entrance and exit from their build menu instead of just "gorge tunnel". The entrance shows bright green on the minimap. This would help gorges relocate tunnel entrances/exits without the guesswork, and help alien players identify them more quickly.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Would it be possible to add the "gorge tunnel entrance, exit" from CompMod into NS2+? Seems like it fits well into the QoL improvement category. For those not familiar:

Gorges can select the tunnel entrance and exit from their build menu instead of just "gorge tunnel". The entrance shows bright green on the minimap. This would help gorges relocate tunnel entrances/exits without the guesswork, and help alien players identify them more quickly.

With the amount of times people destroy the original entrance in CompMod even after all the time the feature has been in... I'm not super sold on the idea of adding it to NS2+...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I like it, but I have had several people complain about it in a pub game.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2014
    Great changes, but have a question on this one:
    "- Added option to disable click selecting for Marine players (only Marine Commander). You can still do marquee selection. Available in Misc. tab."
    Does that mean you can turn on/off selecting individual marines as commander, but can still drag a box around them?
    Great changes, but have a question on this one:
    "- Added option to disable click selecting for Marine players (only Marine Commander). You can still do marquee selection. Available in Misc. tab."
    Does that mean you can turn on/off selecting individual marines as commander, but can still drag a box around them?

Yes.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    i feel like ns2+ should have some equivalent of the sv_nslinfo command, it's real useful and just having it on nsl servers is a shame.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    kmg wrote: »
    i feel like ns2+ should have some equivalent of the sv_nslinfo command, it's real useful and just having it on nsl servers is a shame.

sv_nslinfo for both the AusNS2 and NSL leagues only returns information for people that are registered on NSL or AusNS2 respectively as it gets data from those 2 databases. It wouldn't really work for public servers with ns2+ on it because, where are you going to get that info from (hive?) and whats the point for a comp server where the NSL/AusNS2 mod is installed anyways?

Edit: I don't understand how someone could disagree with this post? lol

• ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I love when suggestions are easy to implement:
    Am I looking at the oddly colored power nodes, or the arrows chasing each other from phase gate to phase gate?
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    With the amount of times people destroy the original entrance in CompMod even after all the time the feature has been in... I'm not super sold on the idea of adding it to NS2+...

They usually learn after destroying the wrong one after around 3 times.

So for those PG lines... I was thinking super-multi-option-cant-go-wrong.

What about:
    Default/Static arrows/Animated lines/Animated arrows.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Animated I think would be annoying, but that is why its a su per multi option.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer

What about:

And then add a slider for animation speed!
    edited May 2014
    Btw, @SamusDroid pointed me towards an unused piece of code in vanilla that enables weapon-specific ammo packs (for the dropped weapons).

mCGbOz2.jpg
    Golden wrote: »

What about:

And then add a slider for animation speed!

Shut up Golden, I had to fix the dropped ammo myself, h8 u.
  • Gen_NS2Gen_NS2 Join Date: 2013-07-07 Member: 185980Members
    Hi, the NS2 + mod get stuck at 0% download since two days. it was at 100% during a whole week. Do you know how to download it? Thanks
    Gen_NS2 wrote: »
    Hi, the NS2 + mod get stuck at 0% download since two days. it was at 100% during a whole week. Do you know how to download it? Thanks
    That's a workshop problem, nothing I can do, it's more to do with Steam, so I have no control over it. You can try changing your download region on steam. Maybe deleting your %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\Workshop folder.
  • Gen_NS2Gen_NS2 Join Date: 2013-07-07 Member: 185980Members
    Gen_NS2 wrote: »
    That's a workshop problem, nothing I can do, it's more to do with Steam, so I have no control over it. You can try changing your download region on steam. Maybe deleting your %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\Workshop folder.

Thanks I am going to try that.
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    edited May 2014
    - Added new option for Phase Gate lines. Default/Static arrows/Animated lines/Animated arrows. Available in HUD tab.

Thank you so much for this addition, mendasp!
    I thought you were simply a mind reader, but apparently Decoy told me she forwarded my suggestion for this to you guys and you added it within like a day, or something.

It's definitely one of those things that should've been there when UWE added the lines in the first place, but at least it's there now.

My only concern with its current implementation is that it doesn't quite solve the issue I had with the plain PG lines -- it's easier, but still not easy enough, to tell at-a-glance the 'flow' of the phasegate network. The arrows are too small currently, and even when animated, it takes a second or so to understand which direction the arrows are flowing to.
    In my opinion, an easy and simple way would be to make those arrows less 'filled in' and more angular, or just replace them with a series of >>>>'s and perhaps removing the dashed lines altogether.
    This way, you can glance at the map, and very quickly, if not immediately, tell the direction of the "line" without having to interpret or wait.

As an aside, you can probably leave the plain line if there are only two PG's (since they will link to each other) but it's not a big deal if they do overlap, since it'll be clear that you only have one choice of path anyway.

Regardless, thanks again for adding this!
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Regarding the phase gate lines, maybe it would be better to make it bigger but make it opaque on the map as not to block anything else? I don't have a problem viewing it at a glance however, so idk!

edited May 2014
    Is it possible to have the minimap stay open permanently when 'toggle' is selected? It always closes when you die, and again whenever you evolve. It's always been a thing with NS2, but it'd be really helpful to not have to constantly hit C when dying/evolving just to toggle the map again and again.

A few other possible additions/ideas:

1) Not sure if its hard to implement, but being able to change the color of PG and Gorge Tunnel lines on the minimap would be handy too.

2) Being able to change the color of your player triangle on the main minimap. I always have to shake my mouse to find where I am sometimes, and having my own player triangle bright red (or some other color) would make it a lot easier to find it. The current white is a bit hard to see.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

2) Being able to change the color of your player triangle on the main minimap. I always have to shake my mouse to find where I am sometimes, and having my own player triangle bright red (or some other color) would make it a lot easier to find it. The current white is a bit hard to see.

Don't you already know what room you are in, you silly goose. :)
    joshhh wrote: »

Don't you already know what room you are in, you silly goose. :)

lol, I know it sounds a bit moronic but its easier to correlate ones position while moving around the map in relation to other players more quickly. I'm probably the only NS2 player to have this problem, so I'm sure they're more pressing concerns to implement :o3
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I have the same problem, aero. I love the idea, and I accept it may be quite niche.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    With the mods you have already done to insight. Would it be possible to make it that spectators have a highlighted mines? an outline or even a health bar would be sweet to have for them.
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    Came to post about the phase gate lines, which I just discovered and really appreciate. Unfortunately, I can't find a setting for it that I really like. The animation is fast enough for it to be pretty distracting, so a setting to control the animation speed could be really nice. The direction of the arrows is also really hard to see, particularly because the arrow is in the middle of the lines instead of at the front.

I think the line style I would most like to see would be the standard solid phase gate line, but with a single arrow at the end showing which way the line goes. Players will normally be looking at the gates, anyway, and not the lines in between, so it puts the information right where it needs to be and prevents any ambiguity.

An unrelated suggestion: How about a feature to make the tech progress icons in commander view stay up even when the map is up? This is already how it works in spectate mode, so it's a little baffling that it disappears in commander view.