NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @the_tick‌ I run a short script that renames the log file before starting the server to prevent the log from being overwritten. I can send it to you if you want.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    any way to get the server browser to automatically focus the ns+ tab when opened?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    any way to get the server browser to automatically focus the ns+ tab when opened?
    The problem with that is that the NS2+ tab only appears when it finds servers running it (just like the other tabs that populate after a bit), and after all it's just one click and some people might want to take a look at the full list... :P
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    - Added warning message about Player Badges (outdated - blocks the customization menu) and instructions to use Badges+ instead.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Finally... <3
    One way to improve it: Get an option for when you pick it up to let your actual weapon active OR to switch to it automatically.

One other thing and it would be perfect: when you drop your weapon, it doesn't drop at your feet, but 1 meter in front of you :D
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Finally... <3
    One other thing and it would be perfect: when you drop your weapon, it doesn't drop at your feet, but 1 meter in front of you :D

I agree, it's pretty difficult dropping everything since weapon drop and weapon pickup is bound to the same key. You should be able to toss your weapons around like in ns1, so you can toss them to other players. :P

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • FeathermonsterFeathermonster California Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187312Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    This mod just gets better and better!

Is there any way to get a notification on the side of the screen for casters in spectate for if a lerk dies much like what happens with fade/onos? And similarly, is there any way to make said events clickable so that they'd take you where said death occurred or would that start getting too complicated? Teammate actually was mentioning these but though I should post them since I'm the caster, heh. Yeah, only would be useful for a small fraction of the community, but dang it'd be useful. :D
    edited May 2014
    Oh my.... I have been waiting so long for that... awesome, thanks :')
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited May 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »

So... it's perfect then?

Edit: Published:
    - Added weapon autopickup feature (enabled by default). You will pick up weapons automatically for your empty weapon slots. Available in the Misc. tab.

This looks great. However, I can see this being a real pain in the ass on servers that don't have compmod and you accidentally run over land mines during combat. Would it be possible to tie auto-pickup of landmines to servers that have compmod/ns2b?
    edited May 2014
    ball2hi wrote: »

So... it's perfect then?

Edit: Published:
    - Added weapon autopickup feature (enabled by default). You will pick up weapons automatically for your empty weapon slots. Available in the Misc. tab.

This looks great. However, I can see this being a real pain in the ass on servers that don't have compmod and you accidentally run over land mines during combat. Would it be possible to tie auto-pickup of landmines to servers that have compmod/ns2b?
    How can it be a pain? They don't get autoselected so it doesn't interfere with your combat... In fact, what does the compmod have anything to do with this?
    edited May 2014
    How can it be a pain? They don't get autoselected so it doesn't interfere with your combat... In fact, what does the compmod have anything to do with this?
    Vanilla landmines slow you down to a Gorge who ate too many clogs. Compmod landmines let you breeze through the air like a Skulk with 9 celerity. Sorry, got carried away.

Vanilla landmines slow you down considerably, while compmod has removed/reduced mine-weight making it easier to maneuver.

I would hate to be in combat, have a team-mate die next to me with land-mines, and accidentally auto-pickup the landmines and then be slowed down as the Skulk comes in for the final bite.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Or just sneak in dragons landline weight reduction into ns2+. No one would ever know. Huehuehue
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Solution: Don't walk on land mines. They're dangerous!

land-mine.jpg
    edited May 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    Or just sneak in dragons landline weight reduction into ns2+. No one would ever know. Huehuehue
    Huehuehue... He said line...

Locklear wrote: »
    Solution: Don't walk on land mines. They're dangerous!
    Fucking magnets.
    There is a toggle, disable it if you think that is such a common scenario.
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    the_tick wrote: »
    Server crashes,

No I don't have any logs, because when it crashes, it reboots, deleting the previous log.

Got 6 mods running,
    Shine
    ns2stats
    Tick's badgepack
    badges +
    tick's large server balance mod
    uke's alien vision

but don't worry about it, I think the advantage is to little to run it at all really, it is a nice extra but not really mandatory

I got 5 mods running,

Shine
    NS2+
    [Shine]NS2stats
    Badges+
    CompMod

No server crashes at all.

Isn't Uke's alien vision part of NS2+ anyways? Maybe that's causing some issues? Or it could be your own mods. With all the little things NS2+ adds to the actual gameplay it's almost mandatory to have, whether it's competitive players or casuals they both love the extra options.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    can you add an option to make it so when you hold down G (the pickup/drop key), it won't drop anything unless you run over an item? if you're going to drop your weapon, you're going to click the button rather than hold it down anyway, so it shouldn't have any negative affects. edit: basically add a threshold to the click. if button is pressed and released within some time, say 200ms, it registers as a weapon drop. if you hold the button any longer, it no longer drops your weapon, only picks up others.

a use for this could be seen in your video. from what I understood in your video/posts, your new feature only auto picks up weapons you don't already have a slot for so when you run over a shotgun/welder/ect pile of weapons you can simply hold H and pick everything up, automatically dropping the rifle. it's not really any different from dropping your rifle before you run over the pack of weapons, just preference. If you do the latter and the shotgun disappears at the last second, you'll be primary weaponless until you can turn around and pickup your rifle again.
    You'll not be weaponless because you will pickup your previous weapon automatically (normally, I didn't test it ingame yet).
    That's how it works in other major games and it never caused any problems... on the contrary! NS2's system has always been a pain.
    edited May 2014
    can you add an option to make it so when you hold down G (the pickup/drop key), it won't drop anything unless you run over an item? if you're going to drop your weapon, you're going to click the button rather than hold it down anyway, so it shouldn't have any negative affects. edit: basically add a threshold to the click. if button is pressed and released within some time, say 200ms, it registers as a weapon drop. if you hold the button any longer, it no longer drops your weapon, only picks up others.

a use for this could be seen in your video. from what I understood in your video/posts, your new feature only auto picks up weapons you don't already have a slot for so when you run over a shotgun/welder/ect pile of weapons you can simply hold H and pick everything up, automatically dropping the rifle. it's not really any different from dropping your rifle before you run over the pack of weapons, just preference. If you do the latter and the shotgun disappears at the last second, you'll be primary weaponless until you can turn around and pickup your rifle again.
    Are you suggesting to make holding G "autopickup everything"? This could cause problems if there's multiple of the same type in a pile. When I was doing this I was thinking of adding a different option to "autopickup better weapons" and have it default off. Then it's just a matter of estabilishing priorities, which I think shotgun should be the highest priority one :P

I think even adding an option to swap between G and E for picking up weapons would do the trick to solve the problem you're describing.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    if there was a pile with multiple weapons of the same slot and you stood still on the pile, I imagine it would just cycle through replacing the weapons until you let go of the key.

welp, due to the poor formatting on the forums it doesn't look like I can link you timestamps. goto 37 seconds.

the idea is that right here in this scene, you would be able to hold down G as you walk over top of the weapons and it would pick them all up (obviously if there's a shotgun and flamethrower, it doesn't pick them both up. you can implement your 'better weapon prioritization' idea here) seamlessly.
    You'll not be weaponless because you will pickup your previous weapon automatically (normally, I didn't test it ingame yet).
    That's how it works in other major games and it never caused any problems... on the contrary! NS2's system has always been a pain.
    didn't even bother reading this originally. i suppose that's true with the new drop mechanic where you throw your weapon 1meter in front of you, assuming you throw it towards the pile of weapons (which you should because you're running towards it), but then you have to suffer through the animation of dropping/picking up your rifle for no reason whatsoever with the inability to fire for whatever second it takes to complete.

i haven't slept yet so it's likely i'm just butchering the explanation. i'll try explaining it in as few steps as possible.
    1. See dead body with shotgun/welder/mines.
    2. Sprint towards body
    3. Hold G
    4. Never let go of W/turn around/look down or have any fear of missing the shotgun pickup by accident, as all you have to do is hold a button and sprint over it to pick everything up, even if you already contain something in the slot it takes up.
    5. Let go of G

it will only save second at most, it's just something I would personally like to use.
    edited May 2014
    I might take a stab at this, not sure if I will deliver or not, though, the vanilla code doesn't seem to be super oriented for this kind of stuff, but I will take a look if I can make this happen without explosions, death and misery.
    I was actually toying with the idea of suggesting a "Hold E" to start auto-pickup, or even press E and for the next X seconds you will auto-pickup. It allows more control for the player while still allowing people to be able to pickup things automatically without having to let go of movement keys in some odd manner.
    In other news! When I added that Cyst range people asked if I could do it with the other buildings... welp, in my new tradition of posting videos and stuff, here is another video.
    its_about_time_logo@2x.png
    And in more other news, I was made aware recently that some people get a "Mod error" when I update the mod and they have it mounted on the main menu, so next update will fix that, but it will happen ONE LAST TIME. Apparently the mod loads partially, then the game finds the workshop update, unmounts the mod, downloads and installs, so it can't find the files it's trying to load, so I added a check for that. This doesn't seem to happen if you have an SSD (this never happened to me, otherwise I would have patched instantly)... go figure. In any case, it should be fixed and you can check the console to see if the main menu stuff loaded or not, in case it didn't because I updated it's a matter of going into the mods menu and clicking restart, or restarting the game...

Finally, next patch is once again filled with thanks to @psyke (aka remi.D). I'm planning to release this tomorrow.
    I have this issue, and I have NS2 installed on my SSD. Hopefully you've fixed it!
    ball2hi wrote: »
    I might take a stab at this, not sure if I will deliver or not, though, the vanilla code doesn't seem to be super oriented for this kind of stuff, but I will take a look if I can make this happen without explosions, death and misery.
    I was actually toying with the idea of suggesting a "Hold E" to start auto-pickup, or even press E and for the next X seconds you will auto-pickup. It allows more control for the player while still allowing people to be able to pickup things automatically without having to let go of movement keys in some odd manner.
    In other news! When I added that Cyst range people asked if I could do it with the other buildings... welp, in my new tradition of posting videos and stuff, here is another video.
    its_about_time_logo@2x.png
    And in more other news, I was made aware recently that some people get a "Mod error" when I update the mod and they have it mounted on the main menu, so next update will fix that, but it will happen ONE LAST TIME. Apparently the mod loads partially, then the game finds the workshop update, unmounts the mod, downloads and installs, so it can't find the files it's trying to load, so I added a check for that. This doesn't seem to happen if you have an SSD (this never happened to me, otherwise I would have patched instantly)... go figure. In any case, it should be fixed and you can check the console to see if the main menu stuff loaded or not, in case it didn't because I updated it's a matter of going into the mods menu and clicking restart, or restarting the game...

Finally, next patch is once again filled with thanks to @psyke (aka remi.D). I'm planning to release this tomorrow.
    I have this issue, and I have NS2 installed on my SSD. Hopefully you've fixed it!

I'm going to bring this up again but, are you sure you just don't want an "autopickup better weapons" option?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm going to bring this up again but, are you sure you just don't want an "autopickup better weapons" option?

I do. ;D Always sprinting for the fallen shotgun anyways.
    Have you tried NS1? Because it was like that and it was awful to play with (the only thing awful about the NS1 system of picking up weapons).

Being in the middle of a fight and picking up an empty shotgun is very frustrating.
    Have you tried NS1? Because it was like that and it was awful to play with (the only thing awful about the NS1 system of picking up weapons).

Being in the middle of a fight and picking up an empty shotgun is very frustrating.

Yes I did play NS1, and the worst weaponpickup experience I had is when a guy threw an empty HMG to me before I phased into a feedgate.

Besides, did you read the option part?