Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

2456715

Comments

  • EvilWaffleThingEvilWaffleThing Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221760Members Posts: 4 Fully active user
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Honest question for those who want refunds, because I genuinely do not remember ever seeing anything like that: have the devs ever officially promised multiplayer features for the game? As in: has it ever been marked on Steam as anything more than single player title?

    The game was not marked multiplayer because it WASN'T multiplayer. No, multiplayer was not in any contract, EULA, or TOS so they are not legally obligated to add it in. That is a VERY bad way to treat your customers however, similar to a bait and switch. You cannot hype multiplayer as much as these people have and then say it isn't happening.
    Mazzy
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members Posts: 434 Advanced user
    If you do make a co-op Subnautica in the future I'd recommend a player cap of maybe 4-8 players and a map about twice the size of the current one. It would also make extra use of leftover fragments in the world.
    LordBrisingrMazzy
  • Flydrop98Flydrop98 Brasil Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219727Members Posts: 5 Fully active user
    For me it is okay to don't make the multiplayer before version 1.0. But after that they can prioritize multiplayer. I mean, sme of the reasons i bought the game were to get multiplayer, play a renovator game and play something different of my current steam games. But a singleplayer survival is really repetitive, and gets boring really fast.
    raivid
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members Posts: 1,050 Advanced user
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    You cannot hype multiplayer as much as these people have and then say it isn't happening.

    When was there multiplayer hype? All I've ever read was "Yeah, maybe later, we'll see".

    Its perfectly understandable that they had Multiplayer in the back of their heads since day 1 but then realised after development went on for awhile that it would take so much resource/time to implement this that in the end it was better to forget about it. That being said however, i believe that saying publicly that maybe, one day, they might add it in was a mistake. Its easy to say now, i know, but thats what artificially created all the hype about MP. Its the grey, fuzzy zone of unsure'ness that went on the matter for over a year.

    This is one subject they would have beneficiated greatly on remaining silent to. By never saying maybe, no one could ever say that they could have potentially done it over time at this point. Whats bugging me a bit personally is that surely, as professional developpers, they must have had a general idea of the amount of work and time such a feature was going to demand from the get go, so why maintain the glimpse of a chance for MP and not release a post like this one from the get go?

    Again, i know its easy to say all that now after all thats been said and done. At least we are fixed for certain now :wink:

  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members Posts: 1,285 Advanced user
    Someone should rip the models to gmod so we can experience the full glory of a multiplayer based Subnopetica. Ponies and all. :D
    The enemy cannot eat an IP, if you disable its head!
    Flydrop98
  • SampieSampie Join Date: 2016-10-05 Member: 222874Members Posts: 1 Fully active user
    Flayra wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

    We've been getting tons and tons of questions and requests about whether we're going to add multiplayer to Subnautica or not.

    Back in our early prototypes we always had multiplayer in the back of our mind. But we had so much to learn about the game, multiplayer was never a priority. Eventually we hit early access and now it would take many man-years to add any kind of multiplayer to Subnautica. We don't want to spend years more working on Subnautica before v1.0, so we sadly have come to terms with the fact that we won't be adding any kind of multiplayer or coop to the game.

    Maybe one day we'll start over on a different engine and make a new Subnautica game based around coop. A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game.

    But until then, we're going to finish up Subnautica the way it was meant to be: one person trying to survive in in a massive, dangerous, beautiful, alien world.

    What about finishing the single player campaign and then making an endless multiplayer survival gamemode?
    Flydrop98raivid
  • AweFilafilOsophyAweFilafilOsophy Join Date: 2016-10-05 Member: 222877Members Posts: 15 Advanced user
    While it would be awesome to have multiplayer, preferably just co-op, I don't think it really needs it. I have put many, many hours into this game, and it never gets old! While it is pretty sad that it will not be implemented, I'm fine with that. Keep up the awesome work.
    BlueSpottedPepperNewt
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members Posts: 3,543 Fully active user
    I'm disappointed, but I completely understand. Having played with the Unity3D engine you really need to make things multiplayer from the very beginning.

    Good luck with whatever your new project is :)
    Want to make an NS2 map but short on time? Join the NS2 Community Map Project
    thou shall slide!
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 75 Fully active user
    Submitted a refund request. I have 2 minutes of playtime, I only got it for co-op.
    http://i.imgur.com/OqptiXX.png
    ^ signature images must not exceed 400x75 and 40Kb in size, scale down that monster sig a bit if you please -Kouji San
                                   Move forward with 64 bit already!                                                    Not. One. Step. Back!
  • RogueEntityRogueEntity Join Date: 2016-10-26 Member: 223379Members Posts: 1 Fully active user
    Shame. I bought the game for multiplayer. It's a great experience solo, but a while in and it gets boring by yourself.

    I wanted this to be something I could share with my fiancée, and my friend. But now, that's never going to happen I guess.
    I feel quite cheated to be honest. Don't say you would love to add it, then a while in just, NOPE.

    I'm not angry, just really disappointed. Will never buy a game in early access from Unknown Worlds ever again.
    UrusoraividThePlasticSaw
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members Posts: 814 Advanced user
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Have you tried claiming that there's multiplayer, and then not adding it? You might need to jack up the price tag if you do that, though. B)

    At least the assets might make it into a sequel someday? :)

    Sean Murray? When did you get here?
    MottSpottyomamaraivid
  • MottSpottMottSpott Iowa Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223615Members Posts: 3 Fully active user
    edited November 2016
    What I don't get is the attitude of "Oh, why bother building a base if no one else can see it?"
    Dude, YOU'RE the one that gets to see it. When the hell did games become only about trying to impress other people with your dong shaped submersible?

    This. And, as much as I love it, I don't think Subnautica would last long as the endless builder people seem to want it to be, multiplayer or no.

    "Here is my white, curvy base on the sand. Here is my white, curvy base next to a volcano. Here is my white, curvy base with some mushrooms."
    "Well here's MY white, curvy base. I stacked it up so it's above the water!"
    "My, you are quite creative. If only you'd put your above-water, white, curvy base next to a volcano."
    "Oh, I already built one like that."
    "Well, we've done it all. Time to just troll each other, I guess."

    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy building bases but that has never felt like the core of the game. They are a means to an end. A safe place to fall back to as you push deeper and deeper into the unknown... world.
    I really wish I could go back and time and tell myself to buy early access but wait to play until full release. I've sworn it off for now, but the PRAWN update almost broke me.

    Edit: If your only beef with Subnautica is there is no multiplayer and you otherwise love it to death, you should support the hell out of UW and maybe we'll get Subnautica 2: Now-we're coming-back-to-colonize-this-planet-without-totally-killing-the-natural-beauty-or-whatever. Or, y'know, just bitch about getting your money back because a feature never promised isn't making the final cut.
    yomamaLordBrisingrAbildgaard
  • DrownerDrowner Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223659Members Posts: 1 Fully active user
    Played this on a friends PC and fell in love, we planned how we would do things coop, knowing it was not released yet etc, came home to read the forum and saw this, i am afraid this is a deal breaker to me. This world seems like it was built for 2 player coop, and until coop is available through release or mods etc i will not be buying it. Don't get me wrong, as it is now the game is 100% enjoyable, but me and some friends cannot imagine "describing" what we are doing, each in our own different world.

    I hope you reconsider, i am only glad i saw this before i bought it.
    ThePlasticSaw
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members Posts: 1,330 Advanced user
    edited November 2016
    Drowner wrote: »
    Played this on a friends PC and fell in love, we planned how we would do things coop, knowing it was not released yet etc, came home to read the forum and saw this, i am afraid this is a deal breaker to me. This world seems like it was built for 2 player coop, and until coop is available through release or mods etc i will not be buying it. Don't get me wrong, as it is now the game is 100% enjoyable, but me and some friends cannot imagine "describing" what we are doing, each in our own different world.

    I hope you reconsider, i am only glad i saw this before i bought it.

    I believe that you and your friend have missed the fact that this is designed to be a SOLE SURVIVER type of game.
    (keyword being "Sole")

    Therefore, putting any kind of "co-op" into the game, completely defeats the intended theme.


    To paraphrase a famous Jedi... "This Game Is Not The One You're Looking For"
    B)
    yomamaNewt
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members Posts: 847 Advanced user
    Co-op or multiplayer in Subnautica?
    d454xyy5thf1.jpg
    Paleo/Bio nerd. Big fan of Subnautica, particularly the creature design.
    BlueSpottedPepper
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members Posts: 55 Fully active user
    edited November 2016
    Well, there is the option of patching it in manually. Like how Minecraft was gotten into, and its modding scene is now huge. SN isn't made in raw C++, no? Unity. It's not as moddable as Unreal afaik, but it could still be done. Hopefully devs wouldn't be forced to take action if this was attempted.
    Someone should rip the models to gmod so we can experience the full glory of a multiplayer based Subnopetica. Ponies and all. :D

    The current Source map size limit, without hackily changing BSP stuff which still has bugs with best circumstances (in game var changing with culling & stuff), is 0.624 kilometers, if my calculations are correct. I doubt the world of Subnautica would fit in that.

    Maybe Source 2, if an SDK is released, which has like 1000x (actual number iirc) size limit.

    But not GMod, that's (modified, Garry has a license to the source code) Source 1.
  • peeper_reaperpeeper_reaper Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223881Members Posts: 8 Fully active user
    There will probably be multiplayer but in mods
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members Posts: 495 Advanced user
    There will probably be multiplayer but in mods

    Maybe, but it would probably be incredibly hard to do.


    BlueSpottedPepper
  • UrusoUruso Join Date: 2016-11-16 Member: 223928Members Posts: 3 Fully active user
    Yall are hating on the people who want a refund but the devs really should have said no and not said after the release. If you say no and then include it, it's a pleasant surprise. Doing it the way they did and you can see the disappointment.

    I love this game and I have loved playing this relaxing game for a long time. However, the reason I bought it was that there was supposed to be multiplayer co-op down the line. Fortunately the game has been worth it for me despite this news. However, I also convinced two of my friends to buy this game despite their misgivings about being an early access game because I let them know that the devs had said that even though there was no co-op now, there would be eventually and we could all play in this relaxing, beautiful world together.

    They've barely touched the game, just patiently waiting for co-op and now I have to go tell them that it will never happen and they've owned the game far too long to hope to get a refund. This isn't a game they would normally buy and they each wasted $20 because of my recommendation based on what the Devs said.

    So please have some compassion for the people who bought this game under the impression that they would be able to share it with their friends.
Sign In or Register to comment.