Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• DrasusDrasus Join Date: 2017-05-16 Member: 230546Members
    For those who do..... You can get a taste of it on the Xbox one version(Needs patched).
    B:46232 accepts input from all controllers while their on, allowing both controllers to control the player/sub/cams.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Flayra wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

We've been getting tons and tons of questions and requests about whether we're going to add multiplayer to Subnautica or not.

Back in our early prototypes we always had multiplayer in the back of our mind. But we had so much to learn about the game, multiplayer was never a priority. Eventually we hit early access and now it would take many man-years to add any kind of multiplayer to Subnautica. We don't want to spend years more working on Subnautica before v1.0, so we sadly have come to terms with the fact that we won't be adding any kind of multiplayer or coop to the game.

Maybe one day we'll start over on a different engine and make a new Subnautica game based around coop. A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game.

But until then, we're going to finish up Subnautica the way it was meant to be: one person trying to survive in in a massive, dangerous, beautiful, alien world.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

It makes me ecstatic that this is not another game with multiplayer shoehorned in. I purchased the game because of how fast the code advancements are and the single player isolation aspect. It makes me very happy that the development is focused on an actual game and not netcode and lobbies. I have a lot of time on multiplayer and MMO games (still), but I don't want the game to be ruined because the whole thing becomes imbalanced solo. Or worse, the AI not being smart because now it has to handle the possibility of two knives, and losing the creativity with the AI being able to manipulate a single threat.

Making a decision to do multiplayer, the game becomes way more time on developing and balancing multiplayer, and single player suffers, IMO.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited June 2017
    WHAT!
    Yeah good luck. The mod would take years to be finish since the game has to be recoded from scratch!
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    Sunrunner wrote: »
    After hearing the official stance on multiplayer I've been toying around with creating a multiplayer mod for Subnautica:

Any other programmers interested in collaborating on the project? Especially when the releases become more stable?

That's awesome !
    Once you sync the games and we could see a real skin for the other player, that's would be playable !
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited June 2017
    After hearing the official stance on multiplayer I've been toying around with creating a multiplayer mod for Subnautica:

Any other programmers interested in collaborating on the project? Especially when the releases become more stable?

"More Stable" ... ain't gonna cut it.

Now, if you had quite a few hundred thousand dollars and a rather large team of experienced programmers...

You might get it done... in two or three years.
    B)
  • SunrunnerSunrunner Join Date: 2017-06-04 Member: 230946Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Now, if you had quite a few hundred thousand dollars and a rather large team of experienced programmers...

You might get it done... in two or three years.
    B)

I don't think I agree with this assessment. There are varying levels of integration that can still offer a fun(even if quirky) multiplayer experience. The game is pretty polished so it makes sense that the creators would not go down this route; however, this is absolutely an area that outside developers can supplement. As with everything, this modification is an incremental process.

You don't understand. The game isnt meant for multiplayer. It would take years. Coding isn't easy. You would have to recode the game from scratch for it to be playable. Otherwise you would have lag and other issues. So don't come crying to us when it won't work.
    *takes angry deep breath* *breaths out in frusation*
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    So don't come crying to us when it won't work.

I'm surprised by your open hostility when I simply asked to collaborate with other people.
    You don't understand. Coding isn't easy.

I've been a software developer for a long time and understand the implications. The prototype in the above video is Subnautica integrated with a multiplayer framework that I developed for another game. I stand by my previous words that there are varying degrees of integration that can provide a fun, casual experience for friends looking to explore the game. Yes, full coverage is challenging - that is understood; however, that does not mean that we can't incrementally work towards something fun for the community.

I commemorate your bravery and wish you the best of luck :smile:
    *takes angry deep breath* *breaths out in frusation*

I understand your frustration with the topic of multiplayer, but let's give the guy a chance first :wink:

edited June 2017
    Heh...

I'm imagining having eight or more players connected and seeing that many separate windows on the screen.

End up being a sitting duck for the first Leviathan that one encounters just due to not seeing it coming.
    (or worse yet, seeing it on one of the other windows and not realizing it's coming for you!)

Plus, having to compete for the limited resources...

Sorry, not exactly my idea of a fun time.

< shrug >
    I'm imagining having eight or more players connected and seeing that many separate windows on the screen.

I think there is some confusion. The "picture in picture" effect in my video is actually two separate computers connected over the internet. I just combined their streams into one.
    Plus, having to compete for the limited resources...
    As of right now, resource spawns are actually individual. Ideally this would be toggle-able though.
    @Sunrunner I guess we spawn in separate lifepod - and I love that, like someone else somewhere survived the crash - can we see the other lifepod ? Entering it ? Use it ? Maybe in the future ?
  • Loek98Loek98 Join Date: 2017-06-06 Member: 230977Members
    While I do agree on the fact that it might take a long time to implement multiplayer, not adding multiplayer makes the giant structures and big subarmines lose their use. What's the point of adding the possibility to build huge bases and big submarines if you'll be the only one using all that? And why would we not like to wait? If there's one thing I've learned from this game is to have patience.
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    @Sunrunner I guess we spawn in separate lifepod - and I love that, like someone else somewhere survived the crash - can we see the other lifepod ? Entering it ? Use it ? Maybe in the future ?

I'm working on other items so haven't really considered it yet. It would probably be more immersive to see other lifepods.
    Wiirlak wrote: »

I'm working on other items so haven't really considered it yet. It would probably be more immersive to see other lifepods.

That's exactly what I think when I think about multiplayer in Subnautica !
    Just imagine randomly finding another working lifepod or a human swimming around, you're pure joy - I'm not alone anymore !
  • nocseiznocseiz Turkey Join Date: 2017-06-06 Member: 230973Members
    When you reach v.1.9 or v.2.9 with enough budget, i hope you can link player based servers through "stable time&space distortions" (portals) like this.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Sunrunner Cool work. Don't let yourself get beat down, the hostility is from frustration, as everyone wanted multiplayer from UWE, and UWE said they can't support it (not enough time and resources to do it up to their standards as the game is too far along at this point), but everyone keeps asking for it anyways, so this is probably just a reaction to that.
    edited June 2017
    Never Mind... random thought... too early in the AM to be posting...
  • WatchdogWatchdog Czech Republic Join Date: 2017-06-27 Member: 231387Members
    Hello everyone. I am new here.

While I do think that a two player co-op game mode could add a lot of fun to the game, I am still quite happy that the developers decided to concentrate on the single player game, instead of spending time and resources on two modes at once, ultimately hurting both.

I would gladly support the development of a two player co-op expansion. Perhaps a Kickstarter project could help fund the development?

That's really awesome! I saw something similar with Skyrim multiplayer, but wish it would have panned out.

It's really cool stuff, but for the Dev to spend the hours on what you've done imo will take away from developing the game. Maybe you have 10 hours on it? Maybe more, maybe less. But that is far from finished and productive multiplayer. Guessing that's local LAN and frequent desyncs? Going to try peer to peer or hosted servers?

Putting a model into the game with an x,y,z coordinate gathered from someone else's x,y,z coordinate is not multiplayer beyond the game Snake or Nibbles.

I'm not at all knocking what you've done, but honestly I don't see it going anywhere.
    Watchdog wrote: »

I would gladly support the development of a two player co-op expansion. Perhaps a Kickstarter project could help fund the development?

The game is being funded through Early Access and has a release date this year. It's already off to a great start and doesn't need a kick :wink:
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Putting a model into the game with an x,y,z coordinate gathered from someone else's x,y,z coordinate is not multiplayer beyond the game Snake or Nibbles.

I'm not at all knocking what you've done, but honestly I don't see it going anywhere.

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152087/multiplayer-mod-update/p1
  • WatchdogWatchdog Czech Republic Join Date: 2017-06-27 Member: 231387Members
    Watchdog wrote: »

The game is being funded through Early Access and has a release date this year. It's already off to a great start and doesn't need a kick :wink:

I know and it is great that the game progresses as it does now.

What I meant was that an optional post-launch expansion could be funded via Kickstarter to avoid drawing from the main development budget. A Kickstarter campaign woould also help prove whether there is a real demand for such feature.
  • lukaskleinlukasklein Join Date: 2017-07-06 Member: 231639Members
    I see in the answer that the creators hope to make a plot surrounding it but is that necessary? Why can't there be a LAN system that's separate from the main plot? It would be less complex to make
  • dragoon0308dragoon0308 Join Date: 2017-07-11 Member: 231766Members
    If multiplayer is not added after v1.0, you could add a person in the intro scene trying to get in the life pod after you but the life pod deploying before he/she can get in. I suggest this since the life pod is clearly ment for two people. There is two seats so you could have the animation when you are doing single player, and if multiplier is added the other person makes it into the life pod.
    Multiplayer won't be added period dude. But an animation of someone else sounds cool but that might bring up the age rating. I'm not sure
  • O99O99 NSW Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231959Members
    Dear Unknown worlds and Subnautica developers, I know that you're probably sick of fans talking about multiplayer for subnautica but my idea is different, for subnautica multiplayer take a look a Portal 2's multiplayer firstly you cannot find people online or make servers a main issue/cliche among survival games 2. Only people in your friends list can send you invites to play through steams invite system, my proposal is that for subnautica multiplayer you make it like Portal 2 only 2 player co-op and only your friends can send you game invites through steam's invite system and that when you are loaded into multiplayer it will have a similar save select screen but for multiplayer saves you cannot make single player saves multiplayer and you cannot make multiplayer saves single player, the person who sent the invite is player 1 they can use commands and Save and they own the save if player 2 (person who accepts invite) sends an invite the next day they will not have the same save only whoever player 1 is will have the save and for Xbox it will use the Xbox invite system with only people in the friends list. If you have any question about my idea please ask and if you want to A. Reject me or B. Think on the idea please contact me as soon as possible
    Sincerely O99 A.K.A Odeil99