Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited July 2017
    What part of ... "They ARE NOT Going To Make Subnautica A Multi-Player/Co-Op Game" ... are you having trouble understanding??
  • O99O99 NSW Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231959Members
    Calm down just a suggestion
    O99 wrote: »
    Calm down just a suggestion

I'm quite calm, but thank you very much for your concern.

I was just curious as to why the Opening Statement of this thread, was apparently giving you some difficulty.

Since your "suggestion", is completely contrary to what has been stated by the actual makers of the game, in this very thread.

B)
  • kanekouratkanekourat Join Date: 2017-07-23 Member: 231984Members
    edited July 2017
    This is just a sugestion

For now, I agree with the statement to finish a single player mode first, however, the escape pod was designed for two people so maybe after 1.0 add multiplayer/co-op.
    kanekourat wrote: »
    This is just a suggestion

For now, I agree with the statement to finish a single player mode first, however, the escape pod was designed for two people so maybe after 1.0 add multiplayer/co-op.

There's a guy doing a Mod that will supposedly let at least two players see each other and interact a bit.

It's being discussed in this thread ...
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152087/multiplayer-mod-update/p1

Please note that a Subnautica Dev has actually posted in that particular thread and explained just why the task may be rather impossible to fully implement.

B)
    I just wanted it to be more than a mod also I just wanted the debs to acknowledge it also yeah 2 seater lifepod
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    kanekourat wrote: »
    This is just a suggestion

There's a guy doing a Mod that will supposedly let at least two players see each other and interact a bit.

It's being discussed in this thread ...
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152087/multiplayer-mod-update/p1

Please note that a Subnautica Dev has actually posted in that particular thread and explained just why the task may be rather impossible to fully implement.

B)

What thread is it
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    The blue text is a link to the thread. The reasons you want it to be "more than a mod" are mostly the same reasons the developers don't plan to do it. A game that you pay for has a lot more expectations than a mod does. A modder can release a flawed thing much easier than a developers can; since mods are free, they have no need to guarantee the functionality of it.
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    Personally, I'm thrilled that it won't be multiplayer. A few months ago I bought into an MMO for the first time in my life and I hardly ever play it. I can't stand the community because they actively attack solo players for wanting to play solo in an MMO... as if multiplayer meant playing in groups was mandatory. The mechanics of the game are heavily skewed against solo players in order to justify the MMO aspect. It's just a hostile, unpleasant place to be. If Subnautica added multiplayer it would be the same story here. The Cyclops would require two or three people to operate, limiting solo players to the smaller ships. There would be tasks that couldn't be accomplished without help. It would just be another game I wouldn't be able to tolerate. Not to mention the fact that I would have to build a second computer so my wife and I could both play. And then we'd be playing in separate rooms and chatting over headsets instead of sitting together on the couch and laughing as we watch each other goof our way around the map trying to find our way home. I'd rather enjoy that real togetherness than have to deal with the fake interaction of an MMO.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Personally, I'm thrilled that it won't be multiplayer. A few months ago I bought into an MMO for the first time in my life and I hardly ever play it. I can't stand the community because they actively attack solo players for wanting to play solo in an MMO... as if multiplayer meant playing in groups was mandatory. The mechanics of the game are heavily skewed against solo players in order to justify the MMO aspect. It's just a hostile, unpleasant place to be. If Subnautica added multiplayer it would be the same story here. The Cyclops would require two or three people to operate, limiting solo players to the smaller ships. There would be tasks that couldn't be accomplished without help. It would just be another game I wouldn't be able to tolerate. Not to mention the fact that I would have to build a second computer so my wife and I could both play. And then we'd be playing in separate rooms and chatting over headsets instead of sitting together on the couch and laughing as we watch each other goof our way around the map trying to find our way home. I'd rather enjoy that real togetherness than have to deal with the fake interaction of an MMO.

If multiplayer ever make it to subnautica the devs won't make insanely hard for solo players they can just make things harder when you have more players but if I know subnautica devs well throughout the past 2 years then if they add multiplayer they'll make sure you have an awesome experience ever
    edited July 2017
    That's a REALLY BIG "IF" ...

More like a Never Gonna Happen.

B)
  • SpartanVIISpartanVII United States Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232163Members
    I don't recall them ever saying this game was going to be co-op! I'm glad too! Soon as you introduce co-op the game cease to be what it was supposed to be and turned into a pvp arena. Like other posters said this is not a mmog. To many arena junkies in the gaming community. They bring about ruination of games. After the co-op, then pop, then the hacking where people will just go else where because they can't fun. I like the game the way it's being developed.
    I literally stated in my suggestion that it is limited to 2 people and when people say co-op that's usually limited to 2 people GET YOUR TERMINOLOGY RIGHT
    Co-op NOT Multiplayer
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited August 2017
    CO-OP IS STILL MULTIPLAYER!
    yeah but the difference between 2 people having good times together building stuff and 50 people try to stab a reaper all at the same time is very different SpartanVII thinks that its going to end up with the 50 people all trying to stab a reaper while most other people are think 2 people having good time building stuff.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Okay, but it is still multiplayer. It won't happen.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    If you want multiplayer, please buy their other game Natural Selection 2.
  • DrConfuzzleDrConfuzzle Join Date: 2017-07-23 Member: 231994Members
    In my opinion the game could work as a co-op experience. The lifepod you come down in has 2 seats and the other player could be a relation or a friend. And it would only help the story, you could have the cyclops run better, have 1 player go out and collect items time the other player maintain the base (make sure food is growing, sorting lockers etc.) To me co-op would be amazing. If the developers could add this in the future I would be really happy
    The thread says no co-op though!
    In my opinion the game could work as a co-op experience. The lifepod you come down in has 2 seats and the other player could be a relation or a friend. And it would only help the story, you could have the cyclops run better, have 1 player go out and collect items time the other player maintain the base (make sure food is growing, sorting lockers etc.) To me co-op would be amazing. If the developers could add this in the future I would be really happy

It could...

But it won't (officially) as far as the Dev's are concerned.

But you might want to check out the Mod Thread that is hereabouts, there is a guy attempting to make co-op squeeze into the game.
    B)
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    I remember obraxis on a stream by a YouTuber(awsome crunch) answering this he said that there's a hope for multiplayer if the gains they receive after 1.0 launch was high then there's a possibility to add multiplayer to subnautica

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    adel_50 wrote: »
    I remember obraxis on a stream by a YouTuber(awsome crunch) answering this he said that there's a hope for multiplayer if the gains they receive after 1.0 launch was high then there's a possibility to add multiplayer to subnautica

Well, let's start panning together the necessary 2 hundred thousand dollars.

Let's see, I got... 8 dollars right here. Anyone else got something?
    I found like 7 bucks and 57 cents! This will help a lot!
    Let's just see how well the mod goes before we start counting our Peepers.

There's a TON of obstacles to overcome before it actually becomes a viable option.

B)
  • Diever112Diever112 Join Date: 2017-08-29 Member: 232703Members

Many people say that playing in a cooperative would be too simple, because you can share responsibilities and easily get everything. I want to say that to such people the existence of a cooperative does not hurt to play alone, it is not necessary to deprive others of this opportunity. In my opinion, multiplayer for more than two players in this game will be inappropriate. There are 2 places in the rescue capsule. So let there be 2 survivors. If there are 3 or 4 of them, it's 3 or 4 moths or even Cyclops. This is stupid and loads the game. I think that adding a cooperative for 2 players is an excellent idea. If in this game they make a cooperative for 2 players - I will buy it again.
    Flayra wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

We've been getting tons and tons of questions and requests about whether we're going to add multiplayer to Subnautica or not.

Back in our early prototypes we always had multiplayer in the back of our mind. But we had so much to learn about the game, multiplayer was never a priority. Eventually we hit early access and now it would take many man-years to add any kind of multiplayer to Subnautica. We don't want to spend years more working on Subnautica before v1.0, so we sadly have come to terms with the fact that we won't be adding any kind of multiplayer or coop to the game.

Maybe one day we'll start over on a different engine and make a new Subnautica game based around coop. A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game.

But until then, we're going to finish up Subnautica the way it was meant to be: one person trying to survive in in a massive, dangerous, beautiful, alien world.

- You absolutely do not need to create a game so that one person is flying, and the other is looking through the devices. It is enough that the second player could simply normally stay inside the Cyclops while driving, and we can make a moth 2. For 1 each. And it will be even better. We do not need so much. Only visible models of each other, their synchronization and all. In addition, you should read my comment, which I left on the last page. 2 players - no more.
    Flayra wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

We've been getting tons and tons of questions and requests about whether we're going to add multiplayer to Subnautica or not.

Back in our early prototypes we always had multiplayer in the back of our mind. But we had so much to learn about the game, multiplayer was never a priority. Eventually we hit early access and now it would take many man-years to add any kind of multiplayer to Subnautica. We don't want to spend years more working on Subnautica before v1.0, so we sadly have come to terms with the fact that we won't be adding any kind of multiplayer or coop to the game.

Maybe one day we'll start over on a different engine and make a new Subnautica game based around coop. A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game.

But until then, we're going to finish up Subnautica the way it was meant to be: one person trying to survive in in a massive, dangerous, beautiful, alien world.

-
    To share this adventure with a friend is something that must be present here. You are the creator of one of the few games that personally excited me so much that I registered on her site. It's not right, to deprive us of the opportunity to share the adventure with a friend.