Natural Selection 2 Kodiak Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Its marketed as pay to win, that's my issue. Its also my opinion, one that you are free to disagree with but won't change by insisting its fine. I'm also not concerned, just voicing my opinion on the subject.

Get real. It's marketed like that because it sounds cool. In the western world basically every advertisement is overkill. Yet nobody tries to get wings from redbull jumping out of a plane without a parachute. Except Travis Pastrana, but still.

Everyone is well enough capable to figure out the armor isn't really pay to win. Counting on that, UWE is able to use big words without deceiving anyone.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Cannon_FodderAUS‌ I may have something in the works already ;)

@meatmachine
    If I awesome you would that be a circle jerk? :-)
    It would be awesome if you could get something recorded. I would buy a copy on itunes. Better yet, if you could included with the next DLC and give half to @SamusDroid‌ , I would get 2 copies. One for me and one to give away.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @Loki I'm guessing since it's official now, updates won't be quite as regular as when it was a mod, right? But it will continue to be fixed, right?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited May 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    @Loki I'm guessing since it's official now, updates won't be quite as regular as when it was a mod, right? But it will continue to be fixed, right?

I wouldn't bet on it - it's hard to map if you're on perma-vacation burning all your map-money :D
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    correct @BeigeAlert‌
    @unclecrunch Not quite sure what each picture is, no idea as to the bug in the first picture
    the second one i guess you mean those walls visible to commander?
    picture 3 not sure
    picture 4 working as intended
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Loki wrote: »
    correct @BeigeAlert‌
    @unclecrunch Not quite sure what each picture is, no idea as to the bug in the first picture
    the second one i guess you mean those walls visible to commander?
    picture 3 not sure
    picture 4 working as intended

1st image: i only see this on kodiak.
    2 and 3 are to show the "keep clear" decal despairing depending on the position.
    4 i did post in another tread that one marine can climb up and you fixed this. I considered you wanted this to be the same for this version. So sniper pistol it is.

• DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Hugh I'm glad Unknown Worlds has committed to at least one DLC. Just looking at the energy diverted from the SCC alone, I'm sure the effort on UW's side has been considerable.

Advertisement on this DLC isn't at the same level as the other releases, I hope everyone is helping spread the word. I understand the sentiment of some here, but I hope people are realistic enough to see UW breaking even on this would drive further community patches.

• GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    elodea wrote: »
    I would really love to buy the kodiak dlc. Is it possible to have 100% of it go to loki for his efforts?

No, but you can send him money through Paypal :p
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2014
    It raises awareness. If people stop complaining about it it is more likely to be forgotten.

And I'm not trying to insult your memory here - it's just that if people don't complain about it, better fix the more important stuff first, right?

Nobody needs to be reminded that this bug needs to be fixed. It's pretty obvious that it needs to be fixed, and it's not going to be forgotten.
    EDIT: sorry for double post :(
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    So.... this is about that time when the devs move on entirely? Just reading @hugh 's post...
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loki wrote: »
    While people have expressed that they want to send me 100% of the dlc money, I will not accept it. Please just get the DLC via steam.

Main two reasons why

1, I was not the only person involved in the creation of this patch.
    UWE provided the DLC Skins (Rantoloy) while Samusdroid toiled for many hours slaving over the code to get everything working. Without either of these, the patch would never of happend. Not only that UWE provided a lot of background work that has not been mentioned here to get this working.Then there are the fixes and contributions from the likes of Mendasp and others. Plus all the hardwork done by my fellow playtesters!!!

2, Should I end up getting a decent amount of money via PP and not via steam / UWE, it increases the chances that OTHER community members will NOT get the opportunity I have been given and I would rather others be given the chance to follow.

Damn, people who play this game are so nice. It puts a tear in my eye. I have often wondered why that is, could it be it (NS2) is such a team focused game, that those who love it and stick with it are less selfish people? I feel a connection to people that play this game like no other game I own and play.

Good job Loki, keep up the good work.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Confirming that the customization option does not appear in NS2+ servers (presumably, it is overridden by the NS2+ menu). Wouldn't be a problem if it was accessible outside the game though.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Damn, some people who play this game are so nice.

fixed ;) hehe

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    Zek wrote: »
    Confirming that the customization option does not appear in NS2+ servers (presumably, it is overridden by the NS2+ menu). Wouldn't be a problem if it was accessible outside the game though.
    NS2+ does not override the menu like you might be thinking it does, I only insert my option in the middle without touching anything else that was already there. What server was this on? What mods did it have? I can tell you I am 100% sure it's not NS2+ causing that.

Here's a screenshot I just took:
    9HgRtnP.png

And here's one I found in my Steam friends' activity feed:
    847583582CAE1CD92787C00D9CFA996A4A8F1CC2

Edit: I did a search on my Appdata Workshop folder and there is ONE mod overwriting the main menu file, and that is the REALLY OLD AND OUTDATED Player Badges mod by Huze, if you want player badges on your server you need to use Badges+ which is the newest (and forward-compatible) version of the mod. If you know which server this happened on, please try to contact the server admin about it so he can correct it.

This is why you should avoid putting the blame on a single mod when a server is running multiple, at least list all the mods the server is running so we can pin down which one is responsible. It is specially annoying for me since I put so much effort in making sure my mod is compatible no matter what is running on the server or what has changed in NS2...

And here's a list of servers I could find running the outdated mod:
    Ross154: Hot n00b on n00b action!
    Gorge Busters - Who You Gonna Call?
    ePeenGaming.com Training House
    ePeenGaming.com-The Faded Mod
    8bitgamers.co.uk
    NSL Match - Paris [NS2-Fr.com Hosted]

Edit2: Added a warning message to NS2+ about this, so I suppose it's a matter of time until this corrects itself.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Wait, the gB server shouldn't even have that badges mod... grumble grumble
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you walk up to a rock as a marine with that grassy ground cover on it and get your weapon as close to it as possible, it becomes transparent! Ooooh!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @RockyMarc‌ - It is because the decals in the map are placed too high. I believe this has been fixed in the next build.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Has anyone noticed that there seams to be a server crash that only occurs on biodome. I have seen that the server has often crashed since the latest patch and it is always while on that map.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I have noticed more crashes since the update. Might be a coincidence though. It can happen in the middle of a round or on map change. I know some crashes are to be expected but one of my regular servers just crashed three times in 30 minutes. That's not normal.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    SupaFred wrote: »
    I have noticed more crashes since the update. Might be a coincidence though. It can happen in the middle of a round or on map change. I know some crashes are to be expected but one of my regular servers just crashed three times in 30 minutes. That's not normal.

I also had more crashes first + the issue that my server was unable to load kodiak. I found out that somehow due to the high load of steam when i updated the server alot model files got corrupted.

After validating all the server files the number of crashs is now pretty low ( even lower than before the patch ).

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited May 2014
    Yup, been getting crashes on a few servers. Red plug of death and then the server is empty after doing disconnect in console and refreshing.

Also, Kodiak runs really bad once the mid-game starts to roll around. I don't even bother and just drop when it rotates in.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    For me it is just biodome so maybe I will try to run a validation to see that everything is good but if something was wrong I would expect it to be every time that map is played instead of just sometimes.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    There was a server crash in Summit as well so I doubt it's map related.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    I need server logs from any server admins who can provide them. PM on the forums with a link to the logs
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I need server logs from any server admins who can provide them. PM on the forums with a link to the logs

The logs i could provide are not really helpfull just ending after maploading done or in the middle of a match. Segfault analyzes of the crashdumps also were never helpfull for me. So can't help you sry :(
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Weird we had a crash on Biodome the other day, odd.