Natural Selection 2 Kodiak Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• InvaderXInvaderX Canada Join Date: 2014-04-26 Member: 195626Members
    Kodiak looks like a fun map, and one that'll add some more variety (which NS2 really needs). Thinking about perhaps buying the Kodiak DLC to support UWE and Loki, as well!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    WOW. Those fixes and additions. Fantastic work all around. I have of course already bought the Kodiak Pack. I presume there are no issues for 32bit users regarding memory with these additions? (it wouldn't affect me but hey, someone has to think of the children) :)

And great job @Mendasp for updating NS2+ so damn quick as well, along with all the (unmentioned) contributions alongside the other community devs who've given very large portions of their free time to make this happen.
    :)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I am assuming this is the "big" 265 update, correct?

Was nice to have a new map, but I was a bit let down. It's my fault though, I shouldn't be expecting big content updates at this point. (I really want new weapons/abilities tho =P)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Decoy wrote: »
    Narfwak wrote: »
    @Ulmont #1 lamp NA

EXCUSE ME. You told ME that I was the best lamp NA for sitting under a bridge for 20 minutes with my exo lights on. DO YOU TELL ALL THE PT'S THIS?
    You're #1 floodlight NA. Ulmont sat in a tree doing the same thing on an even trickier shot for half an hour last night. Ya don't have to get all jellysauce. ;D
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    too much text to quote

I think what he (and I) meant with our posts is that the patch was a let-down because of the huge amounts of hype built for it (maybe there's a part 2?)

bug fixes truly are great, it's just with all the hype you (or maybe just I did) kind of expect new features, not several bug fixes and the developer stamp of approval on an already released and playable map. i was excited to play NS2 today because I was expecting something big, something new.

edit: maybe i'm just spoiled because of all the previous "big" patches UWE has put out have been huge overhauls of core game mechanics, which sets a high bar for other patches in my head, which is unreasonable to expect.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    edited May 2014
    Cosmetic DLC is a great idea, you guys should have done it ages ago!
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Nice update. I'm too cheap to get the dlc but I'm all for it. I feel like the joining and map caching is much faster. Is that just me?

I, too, am a bit curious as to why this was hyped as a big patch. What took the most time to implement/fix? Pessimistically, it looks like a patch for a few bugs and Loki getting recognition (legitimately). Those and a better way to view your different skins.

Optimistically, so far, the patch doesn't seem to have any obvious issues so no hotfix talk. Nothing in the patch has really changed for me positively (I only have my black armor), but nothing changed negatively. Haven't had much time to play around with kodiac, so I guess it'll end up being a positive.

Overall, seems to be a nice patch. Gracias.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Fugly orange AV still in? Bad, bad. No milking DLCs for me, then. Too bad I will be dropping out on map rotations, but that's life here in DLC land.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    RapGod wrote: »
    I, too, am a bit curious as to why this was hyped as a big patch.
    "Big" as important in determining a future - as well as the course of that future - of NS2... Like the blog states:

"The Kodiak Update is not just fun, it is also a test: Could this new development method, combining the talents of Unknown Worlds and devoted Natural Selection 2 players, yield even more updates in future?... this may be the first of many times in which amazing community content is incorporated into Natural Selection 2."

I am sure it also took a while to doubly ensure that not only older issues were sorted out (the unknown names in server browser is tricky and requires a non community member to fix) but that this build's quality was maintained and without issues, compared to the previous few patches. Proper testing takes time

I think they did an outstanding job at this, the build feels solid and the map has come a long way (amazing work @Loki‌ !!) - and it coming almost entirely from the community is just icing on the cake, if you ask me. :)

Kamamura wrote: »
    Fugly orange AV still in? Bad, bad. No milking DLCs for me, then. Too bad I will be dropping out on map rotations, but that's life here in DLC land.
    1) AV is not consistency checked by default so that you can run YOUR personal favorite AV .. so go download the one you like most already.
    2) This is an optional DLC entirely, and is supporting community members.. i see no milking
    3) You will not be dropped during map rotations
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Okay then, I stand corrected, my apologies.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Unless I'm missing something or have outdated info on the cut Steam takes per sale. Loki should get $2.10 (US, no idea about currency conversion rates, etc.) per DLC sale. Not too shabby imo. I've got to give big props to all those involved! Well done! And I like this new method UWE is taking too. It goes to show how much respect they have for their community!

@SamusDroid‌ Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with those skinning issues.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something or have outdated info on the cut Steam takes per sale. Loki should get $2.10 (US, no idea about currency conversion rates, etc.) per DLC sale. Not too shabby imo. I've got to give big props to all those involved! Well done! And I like this new method UWE is taking too. It goes to show how much respect they have for their community!

@SamusDroid‌ Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with those skinning issues.

I don't have any skinning issues :)
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    See it as a donation to UWE and Loki, not a DLC.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    shut up and take my money! Very nice. I will get the patch and DLC when I am done at work (in Aus). Can't wait to get on the servers with my with my Camo skins! I will have to save for exos now :-( (no sg jp for a bit).
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Got the Kodiak pack. Thanks for making each build better. :)

KVKfdOc.jpg

Look at that beauty. Hope to see more like this. :D

Also while customization is still in it's infancy, a pipedream I hope for is the possibility to mix and match pieces of armor from the current modelset and apply the certain texture over it. For example, the head of the Special Edition armor, arms of the deluxe edition, torso of the reinforced armor, the kodiak green visor light, and black colored armor. Similar to how the Halo games has been doing it.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    edited May 2014
    Seriously , im not hate NS2.....

But more DLC like this ? UWE why you guys not make game Free2Play already :))

That way more maps by comunity can be created , developers get more $$$$ x2
    Just like Teamfortress2 >>> From Pay2Play >>> Free2Play and HUGE success , not like Call of Money by Activision ( there is CallofDutyOnline in China sold by Activision)
    *snip * picture removed
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    hey IronHorse , stop remove my picturaaaaaa :D
  • MazzaMazza Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75194Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I was actually hoping for a May the 4th small themed patch for the weekend where:
    Axes are lightsabers,
    Rifle tracers are tinted different colour,
    Rifle sounds go 'pew pew'
    Exo is remodeled as an AT-RT Walker!
    An-AT-RT-Walker.jpeg

All jokes aside though...

This patch is awesome! Already bought the DLC.
    Hopefully this build is only the beginner of more future community driven builds!!

I was actually really hoping for (map) weld points to be in this build but guess I'll have to keep waiting.
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    I'm really really glad it's marching in the right direction again. Kodiak was easily the best custom map I came across from any game, definitely earned its place in the official rotation :D
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members

Just like Teamfortress2 >>> From Pay2Play >>> Free2Play and HUGE success , not like Call of Money by Activision ( there is CallofDutyOnline in China sold by Activision)
    *snip * picture removed

"More DLC like this"? It's just a skin, it never hurt anybody. That is a completely acceptable way to make an extra buck or two imho; UWE never really went Bobby Kotick on us charging for every map, gun or whatnot in the game. We are still getting the maps, we are still able to play, there are no "premium" queues or any other catch, so what's the hush? It's some purely cosmetical stuff; and thinking that NS2 might go the Team Fortress way at least in the close future is silly.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I appreciate all the hard work that went in to Kodiak. Unfortunately for me, my fps is dipping down to unplayable levels in combat on Kodiak, around 35fps. The best I get is 50 to 60 just walking around in the early game. Other maps I rarely if ever go below 50. It's just unfortunate for me that it's on the cusp of that unplayable level :(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Khyron‌ would you mind taking profile shots of your low fps areas and linking them in a technical support thread here? (if you need instructions on how to use the profiler please PM me)
    Thanks
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I've only got as far as the first paragraph in the news update.

There was 9 official maps (now 10) - not 8. Tram Veil Summit Mineshaft Docking Refinery Biodome Descent Eclipse (and now Kodiak). Sorry for being pedantic. I wouldn't have even realised if I hadn't recently counted them all out to rate my favourites first to last.

Just watched the trailer - pretty excited about the aesthetics.

*snip * picture removed

"More DLC like this"? It's just a skin, it never hurt anybody. That is a completely acceptable way to make an extra buck or two imho; UWE never really went Bobby Kotick on us charging for every map, gun or whatnot in the game. We are still getting the maps, we are still able to play, there are no "premium" queues or any other catch, so what's the hush? It's some purely cosmetical stuff; and thinking that NS2 might go the Team Fortress way at least in the close future is silly.

I don't think he's actually complaining about DLC. He's just suggesting that a F2P model would work better in conjunction with DLC.

• VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    Added player names to minimap. Added GUI option, and console command minimapnames to toggle the names

There seems to be an error in the patch notes.
    http://imgur.com/a/lpmBZ
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    I don't think he's actually complaining about DLC. He's just suggesting that a F2P model would work better in conjunction with DLC.

F2P models won't work with NS2 for design reasons even if its community base was even slightly friendly towards the business model... but it's not the first time I come here in the forums (and it isn't very often...) that I see the whole "just give up and make it F2P" argument, come to think of it, once a post by him too, gets somewhat tiring I suppose.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Virsoul wrote: »
    Added player names to minimap. Added GUI option, and console command minimapnames to toggle the names

There seems to be an error in the patch notes.
    http://imgur.com/a/lpmBZ
    @virsoul, a binding to toggle minimap names.
    It should toggle when permanently
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    @virsoul, a binding to toggle minimap names.
    It should toggle when permanently

I have names on my map, not my minimap.