Explicit Instructions On How To Play Ns In Steam

12345679»

Comments

• FreakinaholeFreakinahole Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34318Members
  • Dead_Man_WalkingDead_Man_Walking Join Date: 2005-01-12 Member: 35102Members
    this is going to have to be my first post here... but i cant even get Ns to show up on the steam menu. I've followed the windows steam instructions about 12 times and still nothing. Can somebody please tell me what the hell else i have to do to make it work? i've noticed GCF files. is there a NS gcf file i have to copy into the folder with the other ones? please, tell me!
    i think dead man walking me and cheesefansmile are all in the same boat plz some1 help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    ok, I don't know what you are doing, but this is the default way to install ns 3.0 b5 in steam:

1st, run up steam and let it update it self and half-life
    2nd, start up HL (<b>one</b>) and play around a little in the trainingcourse - the best is, to make one or two savegames and complete the course.
    3rd, if you already downloaded the current version, execute the installer (normaly a .exe file)
    4th, if the installer completed the file operation without any error, run up steam again.
    5th: open your games tab ("Play Games" in context menu), and browse it <u>completely</u>. There is somewhere a line which says "third Party Mods" (below the MY GAMES list and above the Tools) - right after that are your installed mods. NS 3.0 beta 5 does not show up in the official games list, so its down there.
    double click it. set your options. join a server. have fun.
    i hope you have already read some new-by faqs.
    ok. that's the part i don't have. a "third party mods' line. it doesn't exist. therefore, i have a new question. how do i get that thing to show up?
  • BlueFlameBlueFlame Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35330Members
    I cant find my fmod.dll file. i dont have the old half-life. i started with CS 1.5. help? Email is at blueflame@earthlink.net
    i have also followed robs giuld to intall it but i 2 can find 3rd party games on steam is there somethinf u missed out
  • LuckydemonLuckydemon Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36046Members
    i followed all those steps for getiing it to work on windows but i cant find the setup. all i can find is the Folder of NS and some stuff in the folder. now could u tell me what to do from?? any help would be appreciated.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm pretty sure that I missed nothing - did it absolutely the same - maybe you didn't restarted steam?
    Maybe you installed it in the wrong folder?
    (the right one is, if you take the default directory, suggested by the steam installer, C:\valve\steamapps\<i><youremail@host.~~~></i>\half-life\ - the sub folder NS will be created by the installer itself. if you enter it in the path, it will create ..\half-life\ns\ns - and then be unable to run nor find it)
    ^^^ when i followed your directions it was a little different. in the half life folder it has NSP and in there NS but when i click on the NS it takes me to HL and there are no NS servers.
    C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\myemail@server.com\half-life
    C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\myemail@server.com\half-life\nsp
    ^^^ that is as far as it will go then the Game starts up HL. so im confused.
    nsp is beta 4 - it's beta 6, too, but its only for closed beta testing, and i dont expect that you would ask here if you are PT/Consti.

I repeat: Beta 4 is out of date.
    Uninstall it through deleting ..\NSP (or use an -maybe- included uninstaller) and install then, after a reboot, NS Beta 5.
    edited January 2005
    i dont know why but it still isnt working.i Deleted NS 3.0 beta 4 and installed beta 5 so im out of ideas.
    RobB, i'd like to thank you for assisting me in getting NS to run. it finally clicked today. thank you.
  • BlueFlameBlueFlame Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35330Members
    RobB thx for the help. NS installation wuz really gettin me **** off. THX
    i have my ns in this folder D:\Program Files\Valve\SteamApps\gunfodder\half-life\half-life\ns

is it the right one, it the folder the intaller put it in by defualt. i dont ahve 3rd party mods showing up on my games list. thnaks
    is gunfodder your EMail address? Where is the host? it has to be gunfodder@host.domain... Also, Half-Life\Half-Life looks... weird. Try Half-Life\NS.
    Especialy when the lower Half-Life folder is empty except the NS folder.
    hey robB thanks i got it to work thanks 2 u but now i cant find any servers it says could not contact master server i think my firewall is blocking it which exe access the net eg which file to i have to allow internet. thanks