Multiplayer Mod Update

Comments

• 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    This is quite awesome. You're doing great work.
  • IndustryStandardIndustryStandard Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231723Members
    I can't wait until the game finishes and this gets to a decent place. Any ideas about the player animations? It's pretty obvious players weren't meant to see the model, but that's a bit glaring.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    How do you decompile the code? I could probably help if I knew how.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    How do you decompile the code? I could probably help if I knew how.

http://bfy.tw/Cl7F

:)

• AlphaWinner5538AlphaWinner5538 Elizabeth Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231377Members
    Like scope said let the devs do what the wanna do for multiplayer let them decide because I want the to fix the bugs first then they can release the update for Xbox one thanks developers for putting the game on the Xbox one
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Any ideas about the player animations?

jbsgoxrwt5iy.gif
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    edited July 2017
    @sunrunner Could I help with this? I know the code is on GitHub, but I don't really have much coding experience, though I could probably do some odd polishing. Where would you want me in helping? Sorry for asking like this, but I never think I am doing the right thing.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    It is so great seeing new video !
    And the mod being open source is also a great bonus !

Keep the good work ;)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    What coding language are you using? Just wanted to know. I know java fairly well, and am wanting to learning C/C++.
    It's c# and the syntax of c# it's somewhat similar to of java.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    ok, I might be able to help out. I don't have much free time (webcomic) but I'll try.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I can't wait until the game finishes and this gets to a decent place. Any ideas about the player animations? It's pretty obvious players weren't meant to see the model, but that's a bit glaring.

How does the mod handle the player models? I'm always slightly disturbed when I use FREECAM and I leave my headless body behind. Is it really that troublesome to animate the head? I know it's there, when I see his bouffant hairdo casting a shadow normally. Or is there an alternative explanation... when you FREECAM, the head is really the camera itself, so there's this emotionless disembodied head spying on everyone in the ocean... :flushed:
    edited July 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »

How does the mod handle the player models? I'm always slightly disturbed when I use FREECAM and I leave my headless body behind. Is it really that troublesome to animate the head? I know it's there, when I see his bouffant hairdo casting a shadow normally. Or is there an alternative explanation... when you FREECAM, the head is really the camera itself, so there's this emotionless disembodied head spying on everyone in the ocean... :flushed:

It's always hidden except for camera drones.
    Adding the head back for freecam would be simple but they never really needed it since it's a debug command.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    The devs said very clearly in the Multiplayer thread that doing something like this (adding multiplayer) was so much work that it would be basically like rebuilding the game from scratch. How is it that you're able to achieve all this then? ...... correct me if im wrong but you're alone, right? You dont even have a dev group working on this yet you're doing amazingly well. Huge kudos to you sir
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited July 2017
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    The devs said very clearly in the Multiplayer thread that doing something like this (adding multiplayer) was so much work that it would be basically like rebuilding the game from scratch. How is it that you're able to achieve all this then? ...... correct me if im wrong but you're alone, right? You dont even have a dev group working on this yet you're doing amazingly well. Huge kudos to you sir

I know very little about programming and coding, so maybe @0x6A7232 or @nesrak1 can explain it better. By my understanding having UWE code the game to properly handle multiple players in a persistent world (others' actions affecting each other, resources and inventories being updated properly, etc.) would require a new game engine designed for it, as our game we play now was conceived and designed for single-player only. Some games, such as the N64 GoldenEye 007 has two different game engines; one for single-player and a different one for multiplayer. This isn't always the case, but a lot of PC and console games operate in a very similar manner.

What @nesrak1 and @Sunrunner have achieved in doing - and again I apologize if I don't have the details right - is basically they're using a 3rd party platform that essentially links up multiple players' Subnautica data files and exchanges the proper data on the fly. This is an amazing technical feat on its own, as the game wasn't really designed to be played that way at all. If Player A picks up a Metal Salvage in their host game, it's removed from the world in Players' B C and D game world as well. If Player C builds a MP Room, it shows up in the other 3 players' world also. They're able to make this happen due to how the necessary data files are changed across everyone's games.

The reason the devs stated before that it would require a new engine is because just that - you can't make drastic changes to the game's existing code without causing serious issues. As impressive as the multiplayer mod is, it's still tying multiple single-player game systems together. It's not officially supported, as a host of issues could happen: desynchronization across the network/internet, corruption of data tables that can compound problems as time goes on, even causing lag/memory latency/game crashes due to trying to maintain this data as players progress the game. I'm sure the story mode could cause issues at least, since one player unlocking event flags will save for other players as well, without them even having triggered the unlocks in the first place and then rendering their storyline unplayable.

Now I'm not saying all this to insult the work the modders have been doing, or make complaints - I'm really happy they have been able to make the progress as much as they have! You guys rock! :blush: I'm just trying to point out why they've been able to do what the devs haven't "been able" to. I know the devs would love to give us multiplayer, but there's just too many technical hurdles to overcome before it becomes a practical reality. :)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2017
    Obraxis wrote: »

Getting basic 'multiplayer' working is pretty easy. It's when it comes down to checking on each machine where a fish is, how fast it's going. Which player's machine is in charge. Base bits, contents, serialization. Animation states & syncing across multiple machines or players, fish, enemies, projectiles, objects. Quite a big list.

In other words, the basics of moving something around is easy. The last hard parts are very hard. And it's that which will take a long time (but also make the game worthwhile). If all you want is a seamoth racing mod, that should be do-able. If you actually want the full Subnautica experience in co-op, that's going to be very hard.

I understand this @Obraxis . doing the game as you envision it but most importantly to a degree you'd consider equal in all shape and form to your game as it is in single player would surely be a very long process am i sure of this. But really, just take a look at what this guy as achieved all by himself in such a small amount of time (granted its probably a few months but thats rather small in terms of game-making schedule) and ya gotta admit the dude is very talented.

From what i read of the official words of the Devs in the Multiplayer thread i was under the impression that doing any kind of Multiplayer for Subnautica, wether it be built inside the game or added as a mod, would be so hard now that the game is almost done in a Single Player way that it was unthinkable to see it in any near future. What blows me away is the fact he's achieved all of this progress alone, too. Trying to imagine what kind of progress he could do with 1-2 person as talented as him working with him ..... the mod could be close to done or even completed before/around official release date (wishful thinking? maybe lol)

My mind is officially blown.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

Getting basic 'multiplayer' working is pretty easy. It's when it comes down to checking on each machine where a fish is, how fast it's going. Which player's machine is in charge. Base bits, contents, serialization. Animation states & syncing across multiple machines or players, fish, enemies, projectiles, objects. Quite a big list.

In other words, the basics of moving something around is easy. The last hard parts are very hard. And it's that which will take a long time (but also make the game worthwhile). If all you want is a seamoth racing mod, that should be do-able. If you actually want the full Subnautica experience in co-op, that's going to be very hard.

I understand this @Obraxis . doing the game as you envision it but most importantly to a degree you'd consider equal in all shape and form to your game as it is in single player would surely be a very long process am i sure of this. But really, just take a look at what this guy as achieved all by himself in such a small amount of time (granted its probably a few months but thats rather small in terms of game-making schedule) and ya gotta admit the dude is very talented.

From what i read of the official words of the Devs in the Multiplayer thread i was under the impression that doing any kind of Multiplayer for Subnautica, wether it be built inside the game or added as a mod, would be so hard now that the game is almost done in a Single Player way that it was unthinkable to see it in any near future. What blows me away is the fact he's achieved all of this progress alone, too. Trying to imagine what kind of progress he could do with 1-2 person as talented as him working with him ..... the mod could be close to done or even completed before/around official release date (wishful thinking? maybe lol)

My mind is officially blown.

The complexity arises from having to re-write significant portions of the game code so that it will play nice and do what it's supposed to in a multiplayer scenario.
    Forget the racing sim... I think the next goal for the Multiplayer Mod:

Let me play as.... the Reaper Leviathan!! :)

garath wrote: »

Like this: https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/disguisecraft?
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    nesrak1 wrote: »

Like this: https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/disguisecraft?

• gbuzz1216gbuzz1216 Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228771Members

Well Ark survival evolved did it, though the dont nearly have so many entities in one server than subnautica
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Ark did it at the price of any complex physics or AI behaviors (beyond a certain range they are frozen). It doesn't help the project is built on UNREAL ENGINE 4 which never shined with physics.
  • SunrunnerSunrunner Join Date: 2017-06-04 Member: 230946Members
    edited July 2017
    Another video showing off internal spaces and inventories:

Progress can be seen here:
    https://trello.com/b/ftPCv2DL/subnautica-nitrox
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    Forget the racing sim... I think the next goal for the Multiplayer Mod:

i was actually thinking of a racing mod with seamoths but you got stationary targets in the way like a few peepers or a few boomerangs or a stalker and later on a reaper. each thing you crash into is seconds added to your finishing time and everyone has to go through this gauntlet in the racing room.

reminds me a bit of midtown madness when i last played in MP ice ages ago.