Multiplayer Mod Update

Comments

• masterblaster221masterblaster221 Join Date: 2017-09-26 Member: 233238Members
    OK i guess i can hang on a bit longer but what day is the mod coming out i can't find it
    Im guessing that the date is not set
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    garath wrote: »

Indeed.

The multiplayer mod is very hard work that requires hundreds upon hundreds of hours of work for zero pay. The people writing this mod can't ever get paid for the mod and have real jobs that take most of their time just so they can pay their bills. So, there isn't really any good reason for any of them to announce a release date. It will depend heavily upon about a million different things. Please wait patiently.

Technically there is a slim chance that UWE will take them under their wing, so they could get paid either for the mod or for continued work on the mod...

Has happened with some NS2 modders and theirmods/maps etc... Kinda depends if UWE's changes their stand on multiplaya o/
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Indeed.

The multiplayer mod is very hard work that requires hundreds upon hundreds of hours of work for zero pay. The people writing this mod can't ever get paid for the mod and have real jobs that take most of their time just so they can pay their bills. So, there isn't really any good reason for any of them to announce a release date. It will depend heavily upon about a million different things. Please wait patiently.

Has happened with some NS2 modders and theirmods/maps etc... Kinda depends if UWE's changes their stand on multiplaya o/

Kinda like what happened with Kodiak, right?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

Indeed.

Technically there is a slim chance that UWE will take them under their wing, so they could get paid either for the mod or for continued work on the mod...

Would be fascinating if that ended up happening. Plus the more crewmembers working on this game the better I think! Within reason that is. :)
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members

Indeed.

I find it awesome, as UWE itself began with a free mod.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Skope wrote: »

Indeed.

Kinda like what happened with Kodiak, right?

Yep, most "official maps" and from memory, UWE's Devteam B (NS2) is mostly consisting of community members. That Aussie got hired for his NS2HD promovids
    I set up ever thing for the mod but how do i add a startup code but don't be those dicks that say stuff but they don't know ok ok
    just don't be a dick
    most guy in the world are dicks i know some are boss
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I noticed there are no longer instructions for setting this up on the Git-Hub page. I can follow the instructions earlier in the thread, but noticed the Git-Hub version has an additional Harmony project. Do I need to add the Harmony project to the solution as well?
  • MarijnS95MarijnS95 Netherlands Join Date: 2017-06-27 Member: 231390Members
    edited October 2017
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I noticed there are no longer instructions for setting this up on the Git-Hub page. I can follow the instructions earlier in the thread, but noticed the Git-Hub version has an additional Harmony project. Do I need to add the Harmony project to the solution as well?
    It's still there, I even updated it a couple days ago. Check the wiki ;)

You don't need to do anything with harmony - a compiled version is already included. Soon we'll have the Harmony project included as a git submodule (and as project within the solution), but then it compiles automatically with the rest as well :smile:.

Edit: Be sure to read the warning though. The mod is not fully stable yet, and you might run into some problems. Proceed at your own risk :blush:
    edited October 2017
    SO THIS PAGE HAS NO POINT IF NO ONE HELPS AT ALL
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I am compiling fine and everything is all good, but dnSpy does not find any functions in subnautica exe to work with:
    lusz5t5fto0h.png

Don't worry, I have no interest in 'playing' the mod, I am purely interested in the code side of the project. I will not commit to contributing to the project, as I want to get a feel for the programming style and what you are doing, assess whether I can be of any real use or not, and go from there.
    i need to know where to put this code i have dnspy and visual studio i am a coder at least a bit i need to put this code in (GameInput.Awake() do i put in the mod file or the game file
    @Soul_Rider Check step 4: Inject NitroxPatcher into Assembly-CSharp. That is not Subnautica.exe.

The disclaimer is mostly pointed at installing the mod; right now single player will break when having it installed, so bear that in mind. This is resolved once the Harmony branch I mentioned in my previous comment is merged in; it splits the patches in parts so that evertything not related to the multiplayer buttons or some setup code can be disabled after a Multiplayer session (and likewise, will only be enabled/injected in an MP session).
    I really hope it suits you though, as we are in extreme need for developers. There are only a few people actively working on the project, most of which cannot dedicate that much time due to study, work etc (myself included).
    you don't even know what to do dick so don,t post it man to MarijnS95
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    MarijnS95 wrote: »
    @Soul_Rider Check step 4: Inject NitroxPatcher into Assembly-CSharp. That is not Subnautica.exe.

The disclaimer is mostly pointed at installing the mod; right now single player will break when having it installed, so bear that in mind. This is resolved once the Harmony branch I mentioned in my previous comment is merged in; it splits the patches in parts so that evertything not related to the multiplayer buttons or some setup code can be disabled after a Multiplayer session (and likewise, will only be enabled/injected in an MP session).
    I really hope it suits you though, as we are in extreme need for developers. There are only a few people actively working on the project, most of which cannot dedicate that much time due to study, work etc (myself included).

Assembly-CSharp is a .dll file in the Subnautica_Data\Managed folder, in case anyone missed that.
    edited October 2017
    MarijnS95 wrote: »

And I sit there all day at work moaning that nobody reads anything anymore.... :s

Thanks for that, I'll try and stop jumping ahead of myself and read it properly this time :p
    edited October 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Assembly-CSharp is a .dll file in the Subnautica_Data\Managed folder, in case anyone missed that.
    Hehe yeah the wiki is already a bit more extensive than I wanted it to be - it's our only way to prevent people from building and installing the mod and coming to us with loads of "support questions" shortly after. We expect the people for whom it is intended (developers, those who can program and help us out develop this quicker) to understand. Simple file searches being among the basics :wink:
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    And I sit there all day at work moaning that nobody reads anything anymore.... :s

Thanks for that, I'll try and stop jumping ahead of myself and read it properly this time :p
    We as well; we keep getting questions a la "when is this out???" "halp me install plez?!?!". Worst is some guys in our discord server; they keep asking every other day "is it out yet??" when we've explicitly told them it takes time; and that we'll anounce the release in proper fashion, obviously.
    I guess that's the complicated part we developers have to deal with... If we could just work on code that'd be too easy :grin:

Update: That branch I mentioned is merged in, so if you pull and rebuild you should be able to play SP with the mod installed now \0/
    This has to be released soon omg im so happy
  • LordBrisingrLordBrisingr Join Date: 2018-01-05 Member: 234829Members
    It amazes me the sheer talent that this requires. I wished i knew more about programing so i could help. Here's hoping you get some people to help lessen the workload.
  • WakaKrazyBunBunWakaKrazyBunBun Join Date: 2018-01-18 Member: 235201Members
    Hello good day i would actually just like to ask me and may friend would like to play with the mod we don't mind the existing bugs and so forth i am a small streamer don't have enie viewers tough so yeah cant really call me a streamer but i would like to play with may friend and stream while using this mod do u mind me doing this or I am a on a go ahead from u senpai and love this idea its amazing work u have done so far
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @WakaKrazyBunBun the mod is not ready for public release; the makers have made it public so that anyone who knows how to mod can contribute. Getting it to work on your own is the audition. :)
  • dariontorealdariontoreal America Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235410Members
    Sitting here patiently waiting with my wallet in hand your either getting a 100$ bill or a hug idfc can you set up a donation center I'm sure wed all love to provide you with plenty of incentive but we have all the love you need as well mwahhhh
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    They can't get paid any money for modding a game they don't own ...
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    25z80ckg8sxa.png

B)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    If you are interested in the multiplayer mod, the best thing you can do is stream about the game as it is, blog about it, create websites talking about it, etc. Do everything you can to encourage as many people to buy and play it. This serves two purposes:

1. The more folks playing the game means more programmers who might contribute unpaid volunteer work on the multiplayer mod.
    2. With sufficient sales, the developers who wrote the game and who actually can work full time on a successor may decide it makes good sense to start work on a new game with multiplayer.

I think the folks working on mods and the multiplayer mod are absolutely incredible. Many thanks to them!!

Again, show your support for them by getting the word out about the game and drive sales up. In my opinion, that is the best way to help with the multiplayer mod.