Multiplayer Mod Update

Comments

• O99O99 NSW Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231959Members
    1. How will the save feature work 2. By when do you think you will finish this project
    3. how will it be installed
    *still have unanswered questions*
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    370485_1.jpg

Now, I have no friends who play this game. So this mod is pointless for me, but damn nice to see someone putting fourth the effort and I am sure UWE will do their best for modding support to the extent they can.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    edited August 2017
    They probably don't have firm answers to any of that yet, O99. :) The work is still very early on.

To Sunrunner and company: When you consider that the game was not originally built with mod support in mind--like, at all--this is very impressive. Keep in mind, I'm a middle-aged loser who has been doing this stuff for the last twenty years or so, and I am not easy to impress. Two thumbs way, way up!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    garath wrote: »
    I've been following the progress on a fan recreation of one of my favorite DOS games. This weekend, they are having a TEN YEAR reunion to celebrate the start of the project. And that project is still not even complete yet... Programming is HARD work!

Well, don't leave us all hanging! What DOS game are you referring to?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I've been following the progress on a fan recreation of one of my favorite DOS games. This weekend, they are having a TEN YEAR reunion to celebrate the start of the project. And that project is still not even complete yet... Programming is HARD work!

Well, don't leave us all hanging! What DOS game are you referring to?

Interplay M.A.X.

Here is the fan recreation to support TCP/IP multiplayer.

http://www.maxr.org
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    for my semi-reasonable demands, you may as well work for unknown worlds eheheh
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    370485_1.jpg

Now, I have no friends who play this game. So this mod is pointless for me, but damn nice to see someone putting fourth the effort and I am sure UWE will do their best for modding support to the extent they can.

I'm hoping they mod in a Reaper Leviathan attractor... Think a thumper that calls the worms in Dune. If they add that in, then I'll be happy to play with anyone who wants... I, er, um, promise I won't use the Reaper Leviathan attractor. :)
  • papillon121papillon121 germany Join Date: 2017-08-15 Member: 232433Members
    Hi, i want to download and Play the koop Mod, where i can do that? anyone got the link? i would pay for it :-)
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited August 2017
    Hi, i want to download and Play the koop Mod, where i can do that? anyone got the link? i would pay for it :-)

Charging for the mod would be violating copyright laws
    and when we can use the mod?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    and when we can use the mod?

Probably a question for the creator @Sunrunner.

But if I were to guess, not for a very long time. At least not in a stable condition.

Because they're undertaking quite a difficult task.
    Natural Selection 2 is a great game by the creators of Subnautica and is available for purchase and download today. Please go check it out.

u cant compare 2 games just cause they got the same creator... lol! but btw i allready have it, i just like subnautica more and i just wont Play it alone :)

a coop mod would be so great! i knew a lot of People who would insta pay a lot of Money for a mod like this!

Natural Selection 2 is a great game by the creators of Subnautica and is available for purchase and download today. Please go check it out.

u cant compare 2 games just cause they got the same creator... lol! but btw i allready have it, i just like subnautica more and i just wont Play it alone :)

a coop mod would be so great! i knew a lot of People who would insta pay a lot of Money for a mod like this!

You are making requests for multiplayer in a thread where the developers have repeatedly said it isn't happening. And you are complaining because I point you to their existing game with multiplayer?!?

ROTFLMAO

You are making requests for multiplayer in a thread where the developers have repeatedly said it isn't happening. And you are complaining because I point you to their existing game with multiplayer?!?

ROTFLMAO

uhm? i thought someone make a mod for coop, or is that the wrong thread?

ROTFLMAO

Oops. You are right. Sorry about that. I'm just confused
    I apologize.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members

ROTFLMAO

Someone is ATTEMPTING to make a Multiplayer Mod.
    No guarantees it will actually work reliably when they finally get around to letting others try it.
    DaveyNY wrote: »

ROTFLMAO

No guarantees it will actually work reliably when they finally get around to letting others try it.

can i spend Money to him to Support his work?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

ROTFLMAO

can i spend Money to him to Support his work?

That's something you'd have to ask him privately, and keep in mind, YOU CANNOT BE PAYING FOR THE MOD. You must basically be supporting him with the full knowledge that you're GIVING him money because you appreciate his FREE, NOT-FOR-PROFIT work. And I'm not sure if even that is kosher... like it's always ok to give people money, but when you give them money to support their work that must, by law, not be for profit, it creates all sorts of headache.

TL;DR you can't be paying for a free mod to a commercial game, you'll get the author in trouble. You can support the author themselves, but it must be no-strings-attached supporting them. Like cash money, yo, I like your work, have a coffee (or 12-pack if you're feeling generous) on me. You can't then turn around and say "I'm paying you money, where's the work!". No. Strings. Attached.

At least that's my understanding. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    ah ok, sorry, i thought he need Money to get the mod faster online :-) probably he could rent some People for it :)
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    Sunrunner wrote: »
    It has been awhile since we have had a video. Here is one of us riding around in the cyclops and showing off internal functions:

This is *so awesome*. You are a modding god.

Question: Have you or your team had the chance to look at the 'hard problems' the devs have mentioned? Creature behavior and so-forth? If so, getting any ideas on how to solve?
  • SunrunnerSunrunner Join Date: 2017-06-04 Member: 230946Members
    Question: Have you or your team had the chance to look at the 'hard problems' the devs have mentioned? Creature behavior and so-forth? If so, getting any ideas on how to solve?
    We currently have someone deep in multiplayer chunk persistence and I'm currently working on the AI behavior. Generally we know how we want to approach most of these areas but the devil is in the details. You can check out our progress on trello.