Prototyping Mod

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    well, its called "prototyping" mod... I found few more bugs with some alien abilities. this time I tested each of them.

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?05e4640fkmszuqj" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 1.6.7</a>
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?x0e835g3n551915" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 1.6.8</a>

made some adjustments to flame thrower cripple effect and fade energy costs. i would say its quite balanced now. the fade plays really nice with these settings.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    So many updates! When do you test them? I'd like to join! :D

BTW awesome new main menu background!
    the version seems to be "stable", so HBZ is so kind and runs in on one of their servers ;)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1865105:date=Jul 31 2011, 04:17 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Jul 31 2011, 04:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the version seems to be "stable", so HBZ is so kind and runs in on one of their servers ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Really? Could you tell me which server is it? If it's shown as "prototyping", I can't see it. I only see "ns2" games. :(
    para started standard ns2 again. I dont know if or when he will switch to my mod again. But Ill let you know here when a server is up and running.

currently im working on "fetch", experimental fade hive 3 ability. Ill post a video as soon as its working
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1865115:date=Jul 31 2011, 05:47 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Jul 31 2011, 05:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->para started standard ns2 again. I dont know if or when he will switch to my mod again. But Ill let you know here when a server is up and running.

currently im working on "fetch", experimental fade hive 3 ability. Ill post a video as soon as its working<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Scorpion: "Get over here!"

BTW I just had an (drastic) idea about changing the resource system. What if only Tech Points (CS/Hive) generate Team Res? It would encourage Marines to build on Tech Nodes, instead of camping them. Higher Kharaa tech (Fade, Leap, Crag) would be available with one hive (I know you already changed Fade), but each needs to be researched at the Hive.

You can read my half-bake idea <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114424&view=findpost&p=1865119" target="_blank">here</a>.

I just thought your prototype mod would be the only way the idea can be tested, as UWE would be reluctant to make such big changes and upset the game balance.
    i would prefer that tech-nodes give a small boost in personal res income! and aswell increasing the commanders ability to expand (aliens already use their energy). more tech-nodes = more tech? and currently personal res are the tech-resources somehow.

or maybe we should replace the term "tech" with "production".

i will read deeper through it once Im done with "fetch" :)
    edited July 2011
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qR5XLytscs4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qR5XLytscs4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

a friend of mine made a video from our playtest yesterday night. I frapsed also little bit, its very scary from the marine perspective :)

edit: just as a small explanation (for the people who did not read my patch notes): the fade can now perform small "sprints" with +movement. you cannot "spam" blink anymore, leaving you vulnerable when you use the sprint only (you dont disappear with that sprint). but you can stay longer in ethereal mode (activation cost is the only thing to consider), which is actually adding this "scary" feeling which i had last night. you think all the time "###### were is he, cannot find him" then you hear random blink andsprint sounds and you start shooting at shadows.

edit2: i remember at 0:53 in the video I was screaming in the microphone ^^
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    1.6.8 is running on our Server now (HBZ). Lets give it a try :)
    thanks alot :)
    I hope we find some people to play it

here is some the fade playtest from the marine perspective:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FCzK3Aj9d60"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FCzK3Aj9d60" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    edited August 2011
    Server's up? Awesome! Can't wait!

That Fade kill in your video deserves slow motion. :D
    edited August 2011
    That was a great test session we just had. I had a lot of fun!

I've just modified the Fade Blink movement into something almost like spectator movement. (I reused some of the Lerk gliding code) What do you think? (OP! OP! OP!!!)

My changes were:
    in Fade.lua: add new function
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function Fade:PreUpdateMove(input, runningPrediction)

PROFILE("Fade:PreUpdateMove")

if self:GetIsEthereal() then
            local move = GetNormalizedVector( input.move )
            local viewCoords = self:GetViewAngles():GetCoords()            
            local redirectDir = viewCoords:TransformVector( move )

redirectDir.y = redirectDir.y * 0.2

if (move:GetLength() ~= 0) then
                self:SetVelocity(redirectDir * Fade.kEtherealAcceleration)
            end
        end

end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

and modify function Fade:GetFrictionForce()
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function Fade:GetFrictionForce(input, velocity)
        if self:GetIsEthereal() then
            if (input.move:GetLength() == 0) then
                return Vector(-velocity.x, -velocity.y, -velocity.z) * 8
            end
        end
        return Alien.GetFrictionForce(self, input, velocity)

You can comment out the code in Weapon/Alien/Blink.lua to remove the initial "push" when entering Blink
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function Blink:SetEthereal(player, state)

player:SetEthereal(state)

// Give player initial velocity in direction we're pressing, or forward if
            if self.ethereal then

/****** Comment out the code in between *****/

else
            ...<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

The result is Fade can move freely in air while Blinking. You will need to update Fade and/or Blink next patch, after the "Fade floating in air" is fixed.
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Saw this on HBZ I guess I'll have to try it out.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What do you think? (OP! OP! OP!!!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its fantastic!! but i should reduce the max speed a little, its almost uncontrollable :D
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I spent a while trying to do this, got it working once but then something broke it and I couldn't figure out what, but if you can get it in I think it'd be great:

basically a flashlight for the alien commander. I imagined just a standard spotlight from the alien commander's view, probably with an orange tint to it. It'd help for areas where the power is out.
    edited August 2011
    @Schimmel: I think I increased Fade.kEtherealAcceleration too much (the default of 50 was ok). Now you can maneuver by tapping movement keys, and even stop completely during Blink, which I feel will make Blink a lot more powerful.

Also, I also made the vertical Blinking speed too slow, so it takes too long to Blink up/down.
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--> redirectDir.y = redirectDir.y * 0.2 // please increase this to 0.4<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

You may have made Whips may just a little too tough... I think increasing their health regen but reducing the damage negation would make them more effective at holding one or two Marines, but still fall to full scale assaults.

@6john: Perhaps a simpler way to increase the alien commander's visibility is to tweak the Power Point lighting directly, with special conditions for the alien commander.

Currently there's a bug where the Alien Commander's lighting are not updated, so they always see the room as when they entered the hives. The Marine commander's view is working correctly.
    small update:

im currently testing the fetch ability
    i fixed the "blink + switchweapon" bug
    i adjusted color in the alien hud for inactive abilities which cannot be used (require number of hives)
    flamethrower effect is now awesome :)
    edited August 2011
    fetch is now working correctly!
    I had to change alot more code than expected to make it work like I wanted, but I guess the result
    is worth the effort.

I will soon upload the version once I balanced it (otherwise this ability can turn out very very lame and overpowered)

for the people who dont know what fetch is: Fetch is the opposite of blink. Instead of bringing yourself to the enemy, it brings the enemy to you. The fetch speed (velocity of enemy) is dependant on the "weight", so make it less useful against exosuit, but more against jetpacker / marines with light weapons. The fade and the marine can only deal damage to each other, and only be seen by each other (or by anyone who joins them in ethereal world :) )

this adjustments had some nice side-effect: fades can see each other when blinking.

update: im doing final test of fetch and will upload the new version in 1 hour
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?orfucjrmutm50nm" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 1.8.4</a>
    edited August 2011
    I like your new flamethrower effect. Those fireballs don't bounce off walls like solid objects anymore. :D
    I wonder if you can adjust the explosion radius based on the distance traveled to make the flame act more "volumetric". eg large area fireball if fired at your own foot/next to a wall; very small AOE explosion at the end of the flame's life (at maximum range).

Fetch, (or telekinesis) is pretty cool. Blink and Fetch aren't turning the Fade invisible or invulnerable. Sentries kept attacking me.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if self:GetIsEthereal() or self.fadeLeap then<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I see some odd bits of C style progrmming there. :P

BTW have you tried looking up and leap/dash? (Super jump!)

Sentry damage is rather too low. Maybe its damage per bullet can be increased from 13 to 22 to match original DPS, now that they run out of ammo so quickly.
    edited August 2011
    it was already increased by 4 points, but I think I should increase them more. Want to find a good balance between
    - required amount of babysitting from the comm (should not be high)
    - should be effective enough to make the comm reload them always
    - should be weak enough to not defend an area completely on their own
    - energy of comm station(s) should prevent spam.

for that we anyway need to do some playtesting, at least 4on4 in a small map :P

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Blink and Fetch aren't turning the Fade invisible or invulnerable. Sentries kept attacking me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats because "GetCanTakeDamage" returns now true, or its because the fade is actually not invisible anymore. I routed the calculations for seeing or being able to shoot the fade through "IsSameDimension()" for players and "GetIsEthereal()".

not all weapons, or in this case actors, have been adjusted. You can also get hit by grenades now. I have to change them to filter objects which are not "in the same dimension" :)

oh and btw, if you have time twiliteblue, maybe you could take a look into FetchMixin.lua. I still need to override there some functions to make the marine be able to move twice as his normal max speed when being fetched. currently its somehow hacked :)

edit: more bugs that Im already aware of: Bullets hit you when you are ethereal (you dont take damage from marine weapons) but you see the blood effects and the player name.

edit 2: i know that fetch is currently not very powerful. I think I will change it to the following: Fetch will last a specific time (1 - 2 sec). you will not be able to move (maybe just a little bit). once you hit a target, the marine will join you in ethereal mode an fly to you with twice the normal run speed (much faster than now at least). Currently fetch feels sometimes that it has almost no effect.

lerk update: I want to make his spikes now hitscan. I think this task is low priority at uwe, but I in my opinion its crucial and required to balance the lerk further. also, I might write some improved hit detection (for projectile weapons): if you hit the lerk at his wings, he will take less damage (I guess its sufficient for now to calculate distance between impact point and origin). the lerk is too fragile otherwise, and if you give him more health, he will be too resistant against flamethrowers or explosive weapons. So I think these 2 "technical" changes are required, after that I will think further about changing the lerk, my plans are so far (subject to change):

if you hold +movement, you will become slowly and start to zoom. The longer you press +movement, the more you zoom. zoom will scale range / damage / energy cost of your abilites (not with the same factor). First idea for hive 3 i want to test is primal scream (reduce energy cost of ability on all nearby units), and i will move spores to alt attack for slot 1 and slot 2. I might rename the "sniper" ability to burst shot or something like that, with quite low accuracy in non zoom mode (its a "hit n' run ability) and
    very high when zoomed (sniper shot like it is now, but hitscan)

edit 3: I will also reduce the dash distance and duration / CD again. I want it to be a small blink. Maybe I make it even teleporting you 2 meters instead of increasing your speed. currently dash feels broken (to me).
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1865979:date=Aug 3 2011, 12:37 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 3 2011, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh and btw, if you have time twiliteblue, maybe you could take a look into FetchMixin.lua. I still need to override there some functions to make the marine be able to move twice as his normal max speed when being fetched. currently its somehow hacked :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I will have a look later. (I'm quite tired right now, so the parsing part of my brain are likely to throw read exceptions). :)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->edit 2: i know that fetch is currently not very powerful. I think I will change it to the following: Fetch will last a specific time (1 - 2 sec). you will not be able to move (maybe just a little bit). once you hit a target, the marine will join you in ethereal mode an fly to you with twice the normal run speed (much faster than now at least). Currently fetch feels sometimes that it has almost no effect.

lerk update: I want to make his spikes now hitscan. I think this task is low priority at uwe, but I in my opinion its crucial and required to balance the lerk further. also, I might write some improved hit detection (for projectile weapons): if you hit the lerk at his wings, he will take less damage (I guess its sufficient for now to calculate distance between impact point and origin). the lerk is too fragile otherwise, and if you give him more health, he will be too resistant against flamethrowers or explosive weapons. So I think these 2 "technical" changes are required, after that I will think further about changing the lerk, my plans are so far (subject to change):

if you hold +movement, you will become slowly and start to zoom. The longer you press +movement, the more you zoom. zoom will scale range / damage / energy cost of your abilites (not with the same factor). First idea for hive 3 i want to test is primal scream (reduce energy cost of ability on all nearby units), and i will move spores to alt attack for slot 1 and slot 2. I might rename the "sniper" ability to burst shot or something like that, with quite low accuracy in non zoom mode (its a "hit n' run ability) and
    very high when zoomed (sniper shot like it is now, but hitscan)

edit 3: I will also reduce the dash distance and duration / CD again. I want it to be a small blink. Maybe I make it even teleporting you 2 meters instead of increasing your speed. currently dash feels broken (to me).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds you have some great ideas. Lerk is really in need of a hit-scan weapon replacing machine gun Spikes. Projectile weapons suffer from lag, which is one of NS2's biggest current problems. How about a weapon that shoots two spikes 2-3 times each second (? 20 damage * 2 every 0.3 second), and is moderately accurate (4-10 degree spread)?

Sorry I'm a fan of having to +movement modifier key to adjust weapon functions. That would be quite confusing, especially for new players.

As for Lerks being big targets at close range, they simply shouldn't be too close to Marines. The hitbox change destined that Lerks are poor close range fighters. Primary fire Spikes are good if you manage to sneak on a lone marine (eg by hiding in a vent), and kill them in one second or two before he can respond. Modifying damage zones would be fun (head shots anyone?), but could be too time consuming.

I also agree that your Fade dash made him too powerful. You can either make it an unstoppable charge (like belly slide, but allows attacking), or a much shorter dash with long (3-5 sec) cooldown.

BTW I've modified the velocity calculation a bit (see blow).

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function Fade:PreUpdateMove(input, runningPrediction)

PROFILE("Fade:PreUpdateMove")

if self:GetIsEthereal() or self.fadeLeap then
            local move = GetNormalizedVector( input.move )
            local viewCoords = self:GetViewAngles():GetCoords()            
            local redirectDir = viewCoords:TransformVector( move )
            local velocity = self:GetVelocity()

if (move:GetLength() ~= 0) then
                self:SetVelocity(redirectDir * self:GetAcceleration())
            end
        end

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also agree that your Fade dash made him too powerful. You can either make it an unstoppable charge (like belly slide, but allows attacking), or a much shorter dash with long (3-5 sec) cooldown.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think simple speed increases are not enough anymore. I decided to make it instantly changing you position, but only short distance (otherwise it will fail where blink already failed before). teleporting direction is dependent on your current movement direction (no vertical ports, you need / have blink for that)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for Lerks being big targets at close range, they simply shouldn't be too close to Marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

uwe wants lerks to be crazy! uncontrollable beasts that have no fear which also charge up in closer combat. with your flying mod its already coming close to this play style (made alot of tests with a friend) and with hit zones aim would be required again (by the marine, and naturally by the lerk) I guess with those changes the fight Rifle vs. Lerk will become much more interesting and skill based.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1866004:date=Aug 3 2011, 03:31 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 3 2011, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uwe wants lerks to be crazy! uncontrollable beasts that have no fear which also charge up in closer combat. with your flying mod its already coming close to this play style (made alot of tests with a friend) and with hit zones aim would be required again (by the marine, and naturally by the lerk) I guess with those changes the fight Rifle vs. Lerk will become much more interesting and skill based.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe it is time to give Umbra back to the Lerk. Either that, or Lerk needs a new ability that blinds Marines. Spore could fill that role. I imagine Spores would damage Marines' eyes as well as as their lungs.

PS. How did you change the menu screen? Is there any chance you can put a Lerk in the scene? :D

(Edit: Just tested my rapid fire double Spikes idea with a modified Shotgun. It wasn't very practical... I think the number of spikes needs to be increased, with higher "burst" damage like the Shotgun.)
    edited August 2011
    Im planing to put there the "actual" life-form being changed :)
    or maybe multiple. and thats very easy to do, you simply have to open the cinematic editor, load the main menu background cinematic. Everything else is self explaining
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    Fetch is definitely interesting, I found it useful for tugging marines towards whip range, not sure how you'll balance it though, it right now feels a bit overpowered when you can get it to work.

Besides that, it's kind of unintuitive to tell if it's going to or has hit without some immediate visual indicator. Until you get them to drag towards you anyways, you don't know, so for now it's feeling clunky.
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VrYNrOVx64w"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VrYNrOVx64w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

new video showing fetch and improved flame thrower effect
    im done with making the lerk spikes hit scan and I made a rudimentary version of hitzones for the lerk (by calculating distance between impact point and center). lerk should get most of the time less damage when being hit at his wings, and be able to deal about the same damage (depending on range) as before.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Fetch seems better moved to a slower lifeform like the Gorge or Onos. Seems overpowered to have the fastest alien have such an ability.