Prototyping Mod

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The real jetpack model in NS2 is done. Use that, assuming it can be found in the editor. It used to be available through cheats in the early builds, but was removed for some reason.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2011
    i have access to that, but I don't want to include "unreleased" assets. I use only stuff I make myself (rip myself from ns1) or are included in the most recent build. The model is anyway not so important until the movement code works and everything is bug free (which will take some time)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I have implemented damage scaling vs structures, which reduces damage dealt to structures, based on the team size. (Download: <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?k8wqtmdl7c46p5d)" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/?k8wqtmdl7c46p5d)</a>

Care to include it in your mod? The file's based on v3.3 of Prototyping Mod.

Notes:
    I have set NS2Gamerules.kGameStandardTeamSize = 3

The variable sets the estimated player count on each team, so I've had it small for testing (a value of 6 is more appropriate for the standard NS2 game, for 6v6).

Damage vs structures is set to 100% for teams smaller than 2 players, and drop off linearly, based on the player count on each team. (eg With 3 players on Marine, Alien Structures take 67% damage. If there are 4 Alien players, Marine structures take 50% damage.)

Changes are marked by "Damage Scaling Mod Begin" and "Damage Scaling Mod End".
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1FNiJKX1cQA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1FNiJKX1cQA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

that's a first test. the movement code is already much improved, and the soundbugs are fixed. im working now on the cinematics and will later implement a buy menu for the proto lab
    You lost to a Skulk! :P

I think you could have got on the high metal beams/rails. It was gut wrenching to watch you trying to get up there.
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?x47rc9fwun2ac6e" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 3.5.7</a>

i fixed numerous bugs and included extended Rifle clips (available only through console with give extendedrifle)
    also adjusted little bit fade energy costs and JP acceleration
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like to see a hotkey to hover with the jetpack - like crouch. (=> hover + crouch)
    (instead this strange heightlimit where i usually have to release the forward key to gain slowly more height after and waste 30-50% of my invisible energybar or start while standing still and dont have any forward momentum -> wasting energy too)

Why crouch? Usually u wanna fly crouched anyways since your get smaller => harder to hit(those little skulks cant bite your feets off in smaller corridors...) + moving trough vents... (if uwe still plans to make [some?] vents available for jp marines)

Or only via spacebar control (= no hover easymode)

tl;dr

Jetpack prototype:
    Flying forward + height control doesnt feel intuitive yet. (even tho its pretty cool :P)
    i changed the movement code already (unreleased) to be more like natural selection 1. want to have the "normal" movement stuff to be like you would expect it, intuitive. maybe later i add more stuff. twiliteblue made some hovering mode first (pressing shift for more control), but not even i used that. currently the newest version is very similar to ns1 and i think thats the right way.

I hope once the bugs are sorted out and i made a buy menu for the proto lab, we could find some people for play testing. would be a great help for the dev team to see what could be done wrong with the JP before even trying to implement it :)
    edited August 2011
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?v3mw5jh5py4z1nj" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 3.6</a>

- made the jetpack flight model more similar to ns1
    - fixed a bug where you lose your JP when entering a comm station
    - changed the shotgun alt attack visual effect

here a short video of the new flight model:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLghmHDkRvo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLghmHDkRvo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Nice improvements!

Feedback/Suggestions:
    Max. forward speed could be a little bit faster, lerks/fades are nearly twice as fast. (at least it feels like they are)
    The delay until you gain height/the engines fire again could be shorter... quick-tabbing the space bar for gliding drops you pretty low pretty fast.
    The upwards acceleration is too weak. (i think its nearly 3s until you could get out of skulk range (if they didnt had leap by the time :P) and well a close fade will just kill you while starting i guess)

Bugs:
    If you run around + tab space and retab and hold it shortly befor ground you get a little speedboost in that direction.
    While starting to fly and hitting some ground (well you cant gain height fast enough so ramps and stairs get in your way if you are not already starting ~5m before) you get "sticky" to that ground and cant fly. (need to release spacebar on flat ground to snap out)
    <!--quoteo(post=1869670:date=Aug 17 2011, 03:54 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Aug 17 2011, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Max. forward speed could be a little bit faster, lerks/fades are nearly twice as fast. (at least it feels like they are)
    The delay until you gain height/the engines fire again could be shorter... quick-tabbing the space bar for gliding drops you pretty low pretty fast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

there is an upgrade which increases jetpack fuel and acceleration alot. this upgrade is not in the recent version as i remember, but i coded it already in (as well as jetpack armor upgrade)

<!--quoteo(post=1869670:date=Aug 17 2011, 03:54 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Aug 17 2011, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bugs:
    If you run around + tab space and retab and hold it shortly befor ground you get a little speedboost in that direction.
    While starting to fly and hitting some ground (well you cant gain height fast enough so ramps and stairs get in your way if you are not already starting ~5m before) you get "sticky" to that ground and cant fly. (need to release spacebar on flat ground to snap out)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh yeah, i almost forgot about that. wanted to remove this ground sticking when you are jetpacking (like ns1)
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1869699:date=Aug 18 2011, 12:07 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 18 2011, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh yeah, i almost forgot about that. wanted to remove this ground sticking when you are jetpacking (like ns1)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have to turn off all the onground stuff in Player:UpdatePosition when jetpacking
    thanks for that hint, saved me some time and it's working now
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?lo4c3cab3of1vym" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 3.6.2</a>

- changed jetpack upwards velocity and enabled JP upgrades (research fuel upgrade for more fuel and acceleration)
    - re-wrote skulk wall-jump code

feedback on the skulk wall-jump would be appreciated! :)
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So all the shift does right now is increase the energy of nearby lifeforms? I expected it to teleport me to a hive when I "used" it, but it doesn't work. WIP I assume? Good stuff. Still waiting for UWE to put in auto-download so this great mod sees some use!
    i implemented only energy regen, but my code causes "hickups" server-side. so maybe it's better to put effort into other areas now, since i even don't know the secret plans for the shift. so, don't get confused now by the model. it's not a movement chamber (and it's not fully functional). i just put it in because of the mini structure thing
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Is it possible to mod the powergrid operation so every one can operate on emergency power? Ex)

Aliens could take the power down in crossroads hive or alien start to kick in emergency lighting.
    edited August 2011
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?oaf2yq2xa5oapt9" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 3.6.4</a>

- fixed alot of bugs with the jetpack and adjust some numbers. It plays now very nice
    - don't use the shift! it's bugged currently and I don't want to spend any time now to fix it

edit: I put now some code fom twiliteblue back in, which makes you gain height faster when you don't press any movementbutton but jump. i will include that in the next version

I uploaded now the latest changes to the jp <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?jxaag015wli2n80" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 3.6.5</a>
    Also disabled the shift, since it's causing only problems currently
    edited August 2011
    love it! (especially with upgrade)

PS: Skulk wall jump is good too btw.

edit: not sure how it works but - if you wall jump from left to right in tight rooms you can sometimes build up a LOT speed because the acceleration of the pushes somehow stacks up. Or its some bug with fences or sticky corners where you sometimes dont jump away... or it could have something to do with me pressing the direction button to the wall eg. if wall is on the right - me pressing w+d jump - so it doesnt push me away as far. edit3: or its hitting the ground if not high enough on the wall + some magnetic magic.

edit2: I think the walljump while only pressing W and looking/walking paralell to a wall could be closer to it (not sure if this is possible because of the magnetic wallwalk) and the way it currently is should be while holding W+A (w+a walljumps kinda dont work right atm - it jumps more like i would only press a...)
    Jetpack handles great! (Although there is a pause in acceleration after the takeoff.)

Wall jump would feel better if you factor in the view direction (z-axis).

Excellent job Schimmel!
    <!--quoteo(post=1869960:date=Aug 19 2011, 01:37 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Aug 19 2011, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jetpack handles great! (Although there is a pause in acceleration after the takeoff.)

Wall jump would feel better if you factor in the view direction (z-axis).

Excellent job Schimmel!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats actually what I did :) the code is still messy, since alot of shifting around happened already (again...)

here is proofe!

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'> local kWallJumpForce = 12
    local playerViewDirection = self:GetViewAngles():GetCoords().zAxis * 2

local kWallJumpVelocity = Clamp(kWallJumpForce + self:GetVelocity():GetLength() * 2, kWallJumpForce, kWallJumpForce+self.currentMaxSpeed)
    local wallJumpVelocity = self.wallWalkingNormalCurrent*kWallJumpVelocity + playerViewDirection
    wallJumpVelocity:Normalize()
    wallJumpVelocity:Scale(kWallJumpVelocity)</div>

the problem here was, that people could (and still can!) stay sticked to the same wall and exploit the wall jump boost. Koruyo described this effect. im not sure if I should increase this numer:

local kAllowedBoostInterval = 0.5

even more, but it removes intuitivity from the game. I need to find another way and increase velocity more dynamic rather than with "stacks"
    <!--quoteo(post=1869986:date=Aug 19 2011, 02:16 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 19 2011, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thats actually what I did :) the code is still messy, since alot of shifting around happened already (again...)

here is proofe!

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'> local kWallJumpForce = 12
    local playerViewDirection = self:GetViewAngles():GetCoords().zAxis * 2

local kWallJumpVelocity = Clamp(kWallJumpForce + self:GetVelocity():GetLength() * 2, kWallJumpForce, kWallJumpForce+self.currentMaxSpeed)
    local wallJumpVelocity = self.wallWalkingNormalCurrent*kWallJumpVelocity + playerViewDirection

the problem here was, that people could (and still can!) stay sticked to the same wall and exploit the wall jump boost. Koruyo described this effect. im not sure if I should increase this numer:

local kAllowedBoostInterval = 0.5

even more, but it removes intuitivity from the game. I need to find another way and increase velocity more dynamic rather than with "stacks"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about using dot product to check if the player's z-axis and the wall normal are in the same (90º) direction?
    local playerViewDirection = self:GetViewAngles():GetCoords().zAxis

local wallJumpVelocity = self.wallWalkingNormalCurrent

if (playerViewDirection:DotProduct(self.wallWalkingNormalCurrent) > 0) then
    wallJumpVelocity = wallJumpVelocity + playerViewDirection
    end

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zj1_ZfNWz5c"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zj1_ZfNWz5c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFUXsCnQnGc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFUXsCnQnGc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

xenocide!
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good work Schimmel! How much time do you invest to get such features like xenocide to work?
    edited August 2011
    xenocide was approximately 1 hour, including the explosion effect cinematic. but it was not so much coding and the explosion effect is just a mix of other effects

edit: I implemented Redemption now. When you have that upgrade and die, a "Crawler" will burst out of your corpse. All damage dealt to you will be translated to your energy and you lose also energy over time. you have a moderate attack on left mouse button (which reduces your energy and deals extra damage to structures) and you can evolve back to your previous lifeform when you press right mouse button on infestation. you lose all upgrades during this process (but hey, you saved your lifeform), or you can also choose to engage further as crawler.

You cannot jump, but you have the same wall walking ability as the skulk and little bit less speed than the gorge. (that's why i call it "Crawler"). The energy drain and damage to energy translation is subject to chance, but i cannot make real tests alone. nevertheless, we have now a first working upgrade for the crag, i think it will be pretty funny :)

after a few tests i will release the new version which will include:

- JP considers now the marines' inventory weight
    - further improved flame thrower effect
    - xenocide hive 3 skulk ability (like in ns1, kill yourself and explode)
    - Redemption (and a new lifeform: The Crawler, but without any new models)
  • MentasmicMentasmic Join Date: 2011-08-21 Member: 117813Members
    added now a maximum worker counter per hive / cc (which means you can build only a specific amount of macs or drifters) to prevent spam. the commander sees an indication of how many workers he has on the field and how many he is allowed to build
    edited August 2011
    As always, this is an excellent mod. We'd like to host this on one of our servers, but there are two things holding us back.

1) Lack of auto-download. There won't be that many players because they would have to come here to download it.

2) Frequency of updates. If we do host it, someone would have to constantly update the server because there are multiple releases of the mod per week (even within a day!). Thus even if lots of players do have it installed, they will likely have different versions than that of the server.

#1 might not be as big of a problem as it seems. But #2 is a deal breaker. That's too much work for a server admin. I suggest limiting your releases to one patch every 2 weeks. This would ensure that anyone hosting the server doesn't have to touch it for at least 2 weeks and the clients don't have to worry about getting the latest version every day either.