Prototyping Mod

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited July 2011
    ah ok, im currently at work so i could not look at the code.

I think i should rename the mod to "Prototyping Mod" . its more accurate. could some moderator change the thread title? or can someone tell me who i should pm with this request?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah, I couldn't reproduce the infestation bug again either. I'm almost certain I wasn't a marine gorge, but maybe that was it.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited July 2011
    i will soon upload a new version: Sentry turret refill with command chair energy (drop sentry turret ammo pack)

edit: its basically working now, but the animations are buggy and im too tired today. so i will finish that tomorrow.
    just uploaded a new version, but I forget to revert the sentry ammo back to 250
    its currently at 10 for testing if everything works as intended...

wait another 10 minutes, Im also gonna include twiliteblues new flight-mod version and a fix to sporeclouds.
    edited July 2011
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?amobsa02b65w22y" target="_blank">Prototyping Mode 1.4.9</a>

edit: seems that im incapable of doing it right, I forgot again to change the sentry ammo :D
    Anyway im soon done with the resource model changes, and the changes to the sentries work hand in hand with that other stuff. Hope some people want to test with me this weekend :)
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?52ljseukaa6t7wv" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 1.5</a>

version 1.5 changes:

- <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=114036&view=findpost&p=1864136" target="_blank">resource model changes</a>

- activated team res for kills (in addition to presonal res). A team receives 1 res per kill

- sentries can be refilled by sentry ammo packs: the packs cost 30 energy taken from the selected command station

- sentries needs to be reloaded by MACs or field players.

- reduced sentry rate of fire slighty and reduced max ammo to 120. they can shoot as long as before before a reload is required

- increased cost of armory to 15
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    How did you change the name of the mod?

Also, how about giving the lerk a bite? I kind of miss it :P
    edited July 2011
    I cleaned up first post a little bit. A few changes and adjustments were reverted or are in vanila mode.

I will start working soon on streamlining alien abilities and implement hive 3 abilities. If you want to contribute any ideas, post <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114353" target="_blank">here</a>.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, how about giving the lerk a bite? I kind of miss it :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

alot of people miss the bite! But if you put it in, the whole class will feel like a simple copy of ns1 :(

and also when I think about the life-forms' roles, I dont see that bite would fit in very well. Reason for this:

skulk is melee range, he costs no res and is kindof "throwaway" unit

The fade is the "surgical striker". He has already enough hitpoints / armor to survive some attacks against him, but would break under heavy fire (he is not an onos)

The onos, well... you know what the onos is :) especially when you think about the boneshield ability and the gore knockback, you clearly understand his role

the gorge is pure supporter / builder

and the lerk? he is a bast.ard (excuse this term) He makes the room smell bad, He shoots you with spikes and dodges your bullets. He annoys the marines as hell, delays their march forward and supports his allies with dmg (his own damage and maybe primal scream later? who knows)

bite would not fit in. he would be just a skulk with wings then. once everything is balanced im sure the lerk will feel much better an nobody would miss the bite.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did you change the name of the mod?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

game_setup.xml

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'><game>
    <name>PT-Mod 1.5</name>
    <description>NS2 Prototyping Mod</description>
    <client>lua/Client.lua</client>
    <server>lua/Server.lua</server>
    <locale>enUS</locale>
    <locale>deDE</locale>
    </game></div>

and renamed all folders / thread topic etc.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I downloaded v1.5, but I don't see the sentry changes in there.
    Also, it seems building stuff as marine never costs any resources. The team resource counter never went down and I could build as much as I want. The alien side seemed to work.
    just tested it once more to be sure:

everything is working.
    you have to launch ns2.exe with the parameter "-game prototyping_mod" (i renamed it recently). If you add bots, dont forget to type "cheats 0" in the console. otherwise you will not consume energy or team resources (personal resources get consumed). I have no other explanations for your described problem

by the way. I want to put in the menu mod, its a very nice addition. Wanted to change the ns2 main menu logo aswell, but something is wrong with my nvcompress.exe. (so that people know that they launched the mod, not vanila ns2)

the texture tools provided with ns2 seem to crash on my system (win 7 64 bit), so I downloaded from NVIDIA version 2.08 and replaced them. Builder is working now (nvcompress.exe does not crash anymore) but the output seems to be corrupt somehow.

has somebody a solution for this problem or could convert my <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?cco7u38sggmfhqo" target="_blank">psd file</a> to the correct dds format for me?
    edited July 2011
    ah, the readme still says "-game balance_mod" and I saw a few files in the new directory that were still named "balance_mod" so I assumed it was ok.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    When I asked about how you renamed the mod, I meant the threads name :P
    As far as I noticed, you cant rename threads.
    i asked a forum moderator to do so :)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ah, the readme still says "-game balance_mod"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeh, sorry about that. forgot to update it :(
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    When I was playing, the Axe model wasn't showing up, but I could still hear it and kill things with it
    can you tell me how you did that? :D cannot reproduce it. tried with building stuff and switching weapons randomly etc.
    edited July 2011
    As suggested elsewhere, enabling alien movement between hives by "using" a whip or crag would be nice as a placeholder until the Shift comes out. Could at least test out the gameplay ramifications. Perhaps make it a researchable item on individual whip/crags and make them glow or otherwise make them distinguishable from others without the upgrade.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I recommend a purple glow! and perhaps lifting the idle buzz sound from the PG.
    edited July 2011
    funny how i ignore the requirement that texture dimension should be a multiple of 4....

i included now the menu mod. its looking really :)
    and I also made an installer for the lazy guys out there. i will upload it soon.

edit: sentry damage is still way off. i reduced rate of fire slighty and dmg per bullet aswell. I hope it will not render them useless. want to find the "golden numbers"
    edited July 2011
    for the teleporting:

i rather try to export ns1's Movement Chamber model and write some code for it, instead of hacking some ability in. But its a good idea, and i was also missing such feature already (especially when aliens spawned always at start hive)

edit: it will take 20 minutes more before i upload the new version. the lmg is stronger than the shotgun. thats little bit strange
    edited July 2011
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?dl9e70k5vr1koq4" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 1.5.3</a>

I included the menu mod and increased lerk hitpoints to 175, and made an installer which searches for your steam installation directory and creates a shortcut on your desktop.
    <!--quoteo(post=1864750:date=Jul 29 2011, 02:07 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Jul 29 2011, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->made an installer which searches for your steam installation directory and creates a shortcut on your desktop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome. That's really a good step to wide-spread adoption of the mod. I think Anagram will be dedicating one of its 3 servers to running the mod this weekend, so hope to have more players install and play with us.
    i hope so too! i want to see the mod in action! 1.5.3 looks promising so far, I was tweaking alot of small stuff aswell which i did not mention in the notes. and im already excited to put my hand on prototyping various hive 3 alien ablities :)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    I'm really excited about NS2 having its modding community helping to test out community suggestions! Fantastic work Schimmel!

Here are a few problems I've noticed in 1.5.3:
    - Eggs that Hives spawn outside of infestation take damage and die.
    - Spore mine shooting animation cover the screen in green goo.
    - Spore mines bouncing off structures
    - Sentry damage is too low. Due to the new "flinch when taking hits" change, Sentries are already unable to retaliate against long ranged attackers. So I don't think your nerf is necessary.
    - Sentry ammo count reads "110/110 + 0/1". Is there a special meaning to that "0/1"?
    - Flamethrower's rate of fire feels too slow, as the jets of flame look discontinuous and odd.
    - Flamethwoer max damage feel too high. With constant fire, it can take down alien structures too quickly.
    - Pistol damage may be a bit too low 15 damage x 1.3 puncture modifier = 19.5 would be closer to its original damage vs players.

- You forgot to update your change log. Rifle butt now deals 25 damage. :P
    - I think you meant "sentries fire slower" in your change log.
    The 0/1 means reloads. You can pre-load the sentry with one extra clip from the CC and there's a short delay while it reloads. Pretty cool.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1864822:date=Jul 29 2011, 09:44 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 29 2011, 09:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The 0/1 means reloads. You can pre-load the sentry with one extra clip from the CC and there's a short delay while it reloads. Pretty cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah! That's pretty cool!
    edited July 2011
    I realised that the pistol can deal too much burst damage in a short amount of time. it was the same problem in ns1
    also the heavy damage type wasnt funny: empty you pistol -> target will have no armor -> finish him (already!?) that works with
    fades aswell

maybe I should even change it to light, so it would be kind of a finisher, and increase the alternate and primary attack damage. i will try that

about the flame-thrower: I made a "low" rate of fire, because of

a) fps problems!
    b) server performance!

We need a proper first person cinematic (basically the original but shorter flame), than you would not realize that so much

about sentry damage: if my nerf turns out to be too much, i will increase their damage.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Flamethwoer max damage feel too high. With constant fire, it can take down alien structures too quickly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that was very difficult to adjust actually. i wanted the flamerthrower to "heat up" things. so you would see a real difference in its max dps when you flame something long enough. the flamethrower would be excellent to kill unguarded alien structures (in its current implementation), but its very risky to use: you have to be close to your targets, so its not a "siege" weapon like the GL or ARC, leaving you exposed to alien attacks. against guarded areas you should not be able to reach the maximum damage. maybe I should either increase the stacking intervall (meaning that it takes longer to "heat up" your targets) or decrease the maximum stacks. I also wanted that the FT, when used not in a group, be able to take out bad players in 1on1. all alien classes should have a chance to kill an FT though -> FT is a "team" weapon

update: fixed a bug where increased energy cost (when burning) was actually ignored. you were allowed to trigger an ability which consumed more energy than you had in reserve. And I increased energy cost multiplier of burning to 3 (up from 2)

update2: also decreased the chance of gorges to turn out fire to 20% (from 50%), since burning has now a fixed duration and its effect is slighty nerved (increased energy cost is not as bad as having no energy at all)

update3: code snipped from what im currently working on:

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'> if player:GetGameEffectMask(kGameEffect.OnPrimalScream) then
    energyCost = energyCost * kOnPrimalScreamEnergyCostScalar
    end</div>

I want "Primal Scream" to be the lerks third hive alt attack ability. I don't know which are the official plans for the lerk (or for any other lifeform), but I want to try out the idea about <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=114353&view=findpost&p=1864166" target="_blank">streamline alien abilities</a> and give the lerk primal scream. this ability will simply decrease all energy costs by some % so that it would stack with fury from the whip

I also would like to get some feedback on the changes regarding zoom. My plans for it:

if you press +movement (shift or whatever key it is for you), you toggle the zoom. activating and deactivating triggers an ability delay (0.3 seconds?). you can only zoom when you are staying on the ground, otherwise you will immedeatly leave the "zoom" mode (which triggers the ability delay). I want that the zoom has upsides (increased accuracy, range, more silent attacks) but also downsides (ability delay, restricted movement -> vulnerable to attacks).

so, the cool thing about the new zoom would be, that you can also increase the range of your spores and your normal spike attack :) the bad thing is, you would no longer be able to fly and snipe someone from distance. but you would be able to snipe unzoomed, although its damage will be affected by range (damage dropoff will get reduced in zoomed mode)

update4: first step in streamlining alien abilities: added leap as alt attack to parasite ;)
    next i will change the gorges drop structure ability: move to slot 4 (to make place for second and third hive ability on slot 2 and 3) and make alt attack toggle between mini cyst and hydra
    edited July 2011
    maybe somebody can help me here:
    I want to make a list of classes / objects. Im not sure if i actually have to "create" an object or if objects are static (I dont know anything about memory allocation and classes in lua).

so, i have a table:
    DropStructureAbility.kSupportedStructures = { "HydraStructureAbility", "CystStructureAbility" }

and class implementations with that respective name.

what do I have to do to write something like this:

DropStructureAbility.kSupportedStructures[1]:DoSomething()

so that HydraStructureAbility:DoSomething()

is called correctly.

edit: found a workaround, but would still be nice to know how object instantiation works here :D

update: Im done refactoring some of the gorge weapons code. he now has healspray in slot 1 + 2 as alt attack, bildbomb is available at 2nd hive in slot 2 (no upgrade required anymore), slot 3 is free (i put there bilebomb as a placeholder) and slot 4 is build structure (alt attack cycles through structures)
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    building cysts and hydras on walls/ceilings truly amazing addition. wish they added that for the gorge. I also believe the cysts gorge drops should cost energy to help spread infestation much faster due to how easy it is killing them.

adding better defense for cysts is also needed, either making cysts rooted under the infestation or making them auto cloak and only scan would reveal them.
    i will add soon a feature that the commander can also (instead of dropping life-form eggs) donate some res to gorges (click the gorge -> click build hydra / cyst, gorge can build for free the next hydra/cyst), but it would be about 30-40% more expensive than dropping it yourself. (have to find good numbers for it)

today it did some important work, which may not be very obvious at first:

I did refactoring of the gorge and skulk weapon code. They now can use leap / healspray as alt attack in slot 1 and 2. That means you can bite/leap or parasite/leap or spit/spray or bilebomb/spray. Bilebomb is also no longer an upgrade, instead its given to all gorges once 2nd hive is up. I also moved the gorge build ability to slot 4, and you can now rightclick to cycle through the structures (meaning that if more "gorge-structures" get implemented, they already would have a place in weapon slot 4)

The biggest (unobvious) change is, that my mod will start automatically GMOvrmind (brilliant tool btw) if it can find it. It will deactivate then the menu mod, due to some incompatibilty problems which i did not investigated further.

I will now do some polishing during the next hour and release the files
    edited July 2011
    we have currently a good dedicated server running this version (HBZ)

Update: there was still a small bug in previous version, I fixed that (fade stab crashed the server)
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?ja2lqsg0h0l7j0a" target="_blank">Prototyping Mod 1.6.6</a>

im sorry for that, I hope now everything works :)