Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS 7th Anniversary, Progress and first NS2 Screenshots

Comments

• CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the Alien sizes are just fine. Remember, we don't know how fast these guys can move in comparison to NS1. Skulks can leap now with 1 hive, and who knows how much damage that does now. Skulks might have more hp? There are so many things to consider right now in terms of balance, and the size of the Aliens.

Oh and it's not called the LMG anymore to those that keep referring it to that name. It's the AR (assault rifle). Remember, HMG, and LMG are both gone, and both weapons have been combined to bring you this. Also keep in mind, at the armory, you can purchase attachments for the AR, such as a grenade launcher.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1734970:date=Oct 31 2009, 06:22 AM:name=The_Flying_Fish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Flying_Fish @ Oct 31 2009, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734970"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6173/ns2bettersize.jpg" target="_blank">http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6173/ns2bettersize.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The main problem in my opinion is that the weapon is tilted wrong. It's not really pointing the way we are used to see weapons in games so it looks odd. But it's very large and should be scaled down a bit, yes.
    That the Kharaa are larger is not necessarily a bad thing, a bit different from what we see in NS1 but then when they are larger they are easier to hit (they wanted the Skulks to be more bulky and take more) but they will look more intimidating. And since this time around the there will probably be a lot of shadows, props to hide behind and in general more clutterness than what we see in Half-Life I can see why they are larger than before.
    Also, evolution anyone?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735106:date=Oct 31 2009, 06:25 PM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Oct 31 2009, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thats actually really interesting looking, perhaps we shall see slight tweaking with sizing at some point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeh, I'm quite confident not all of the levels aren't that dark and creepy anyway. The screens are just a good demonstration of the models and engine placed in a proper scenery. Then again, it's all good if they can get it working with those huge models somehow.
  • FroyokFroyok Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69197Members
    Magad !
    I hesitated to be interested in this game and indeed I made more than it !
    I have to pre-order ! Magnificent and impressive first screenshots!
    We small French, drool in front of your game ! (Already <a href="http://www.canardpc.com/news-40806-premieres_images_pour_natural_selection_2_.html" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://www.mapping-area.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22247" target="_blank">here</a> !)
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    It's natural selection guys, the little fragile skulks evolved to be stronger and capable of taking more hits, for more nomnomnom :D
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    edited October 2009
    I haven't even the read the entire post, but I have to tell you guys those screen shots alone blew my mind.

Hooray for in-game screen shots!

Edit: Alright, I read the rest of the post. Here's the rest of mine:
    Congratulations on making it this far! I definitely have faith in you guys to make a game as awesome as NS1 (How many FPS games are still played 7 years after release? Only the best). I really like the artwork; new, different, a lot more animated/provocative (Can't think of the right word). The difference between HL1 engine models and your engine's models is rather vast. I don't even usually pay attention to graphics in a video game, so this is fairly high praise from me. The way I measure video-game graphics is the length of time it takes for me to realize what I'm looking at is actually an in-game screen shot. For NS2, that length of time is fairly high.

Other than that, I hope you guys can finish this game soon and start making lots of money. And then after the success of NS2, go on to make even more games and more money off of those games. Pretty much, I hope you guys can live every modder's dream.
  • quatermassquatermass Join Date: 2008-05-06 Member: 64220Members
    edited October 2009
    Oh God, not another overdue computer game...

So despite promises you're delaying the launch of the game?

So not this year? Maybe 2010 sometime?

Will this turn into another non-event like Duke Nukem Forever?
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1735136:date=Oct 31 2009, 08:35 PM:name=quatermass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (quatermass @ Oct 31 2009, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will this turn into another non-event like Duke Nukem Forever?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    1/ 2 Screenshots only ? it's a joke ? If you don't have anything to come with. just don't.

2/ I thought the teeth matter was ruled out.
    Teeth in the scren are :
    -Unlogical (captain!)
    -Ment to hide something (mostly net-resync, like "huh?, where's my marin cheek warped?").
    -The first thing claners will do is to remove it.
    -About slime animation "on" (no 'in' but 'on') the screen if there is. Some EU states (maybe more) forbid that.
    -Better have nothing on the screen. It's Kharra's side !!! No Holographic HUD, blood smell is largely enough. The 'connaisseurs' know what i'm talking about.

Just rip it off.

3/ i agree with some ppl over here. Less teasing, get the game out.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    Ooohhh ohh, information overload.. Error error, does not compute :D

So many things to comment on.. 220,000$ in pre-order sales, 95% premium wtf? that's around 6k sales. That's a alot more than anyone would expect. Congrats. I'm glad to see that the NS community is that strong.
    The viewmodel on the skulk is stunning and reminds me of the onos' devour - but is it a flashfile that is superimposed or is it an actual model?

If you compare the screenshot to the previous released engine video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH-SH1Iw6TY) there's quite some differences, especially in regards to lighting. Metal surfaces appears less shiny and dynamic lightning seems to be missing - were you forced to change it to accommodate lower end hardware? Or did the screenshots just not capture it?

The screenshots have made me giddy, I don't care for the delay since I never believed the date anyway. I have complete thrust in the talent at UWE. They have proven themselves before and they continue to impress. The only thing that could go wrong was the financiel side of things, and that appears to be solved. Now I hope they don't go nuts in details and remember to prioritize what's important.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1735149:date=Oct 31 2009, 09:30 PM:name=Epidemic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Epidemic @ Oct 31 2009, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The viewmodel on the skulk is stunning and reminds me of the onos' devour - but is it a flashfile that is superimposed or is it an actual model?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's an actual model, like in NS.

<!--quoteo(post=1735149:date=Oct 31 2009, 09:30 PM:name=Epidemic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Epidemic @ Oct 31 2009, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you compare the screenshot to the previous released engine video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH-SH1Iw6TY) there's quite some differences, especially in regards to lighting. Metal surfaces appears less shiny and dynamic lightning seems to be missing - were you forced to change it to accommodate lower end hardware? Or did the screenshots just not capture it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dynamic lighting and specularity are still in there. They're not particularly obvious in a static shot, especially in the case of the lighting.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    Pretty good update, nice to see how things going, although i expected the alpha release or at least news about it.

Also, the skulk model seems to be unusually huge. Onos hitbox anyone?
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1735144:date=Oct 31 2009, 04:06 PM:name=UncleCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleCrunch @ Oct 31 2009, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1/ 2 Screenshots only ? it's a joke ? If you don't have anything to come with. just don't.

Teeth in the scren are :
    -Unlogical (captain!)
    -Ment to hide something (mostly net-resync, like "huh?, where's my marin cheek warped?").
    -About slime animation "on" (no 'in' but 'on') the screen if there is. Some EU states (maybe more) forbid that.
    -Better have nothing on the screen. It's Kharra's side !!! No Holographic HUD, blood smell is largely enough. The 'connaisseurs' know what i'm talking about.

Just rip it off.

3/ i agree with some ppl over here. Less teasing, get the game out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My brain! It hurtses!
  • ekul26ekul26 Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63174Members
    Looks Great. Now show us the Lerk & fade NOW NOW
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735164:date=Oct 31 2009, 11:52 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Oct 31 2009, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My brain! It hurtses!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha, yeah :s I think we need to get with the times and start removing our skulk bite models :/ we're like 5 years too late apparently!
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1735144:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:06 AM:name=UncleCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleCrunch @ Nov 1 2009, 07:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1/ 2 Screenshots only ? it's a joke ? If you don't have anything to come with. just don't.

Teeth in the scren are :
    -Unlogical (captain!)

Just rip it off.

3/ i agree with some ppl over here. Less teasing, get the game out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This has to be the most well constructed argument I have ever had the pleasure of reading. He's right, stop teasing us with images and release the game now.

Wait what?
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735144:date=Oct 31 2009, 09:06 PM:name=UncleCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleCrunch @ Oct 31 2009, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1/ 2 Screenshots only ? it's a joke ? If you don't have anything to come with. just don't.

Teeth in the scren are :
    -Unlogical (captain!)

Just rip it off.

I completely agree... with everything that wasn't said in this post. Haaaaah gotya!
  • naughty_skulkernaughty_skulker Join Date: 2003-08-31 Member: 20411Members
    Fantastic screen shots, I don't know if the weapons had been seen before but it's the first I'd seen of the new look smg (rifle?) and it's great.

I love the skulk teeth too ! Looks amazing and I'm glad it's back ;)

Nice one !
  • squeebsqueeb Join Date: 2009-05-06 Member: 67360Members, Constellation
    Wow, amazing. Needless to say, I pre-ordered the special edition right after seeing the screens :)

Keep up the good work guys!
  • SnazzSnazz Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62482Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735144:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:06 AM:name=UncleCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleCrunch @ Nov 1 2009, 07:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1/ 2 Screenshots only ? it's a joke ? If you don't have anything to come with. just don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    2 screen shots are far better than nothing, I greatly appreciate what they have shown so far.

<!--quoteo(post=1735144:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:06 AM:name=UncleCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleCrunch @ Nov 1 2009, 07:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3/ i agree with some ppl over here. Less teasing, get the game out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We're not all as impatient as you are, some of us prefer to wait for games instead of seeing them rushed.

Frankly I think you will either have to 'put up with it' like the rest of us or GTFO.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I like the big information release. I am patiently waiting for the lerk reveal now :)
  • meh`meh` Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66691Members
    I have to agree with the skulks being to big, but I don't think they should be as small as in ns1, or the resized pic, especially if they have a hive1 leaping ability. And I also think the lmg blocks way to much on the right side so that is also a little too big, but everything else looks fantastic.
  • RoyallAssasinRoyallAssasin Join Date: 2007-09-28 Member: 62467Members
    Thanks for giving us an HONEST update on your progress and the true state that the game is in
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    Looking at the screen shots, my biggest issue is that the shadows for skulks is terribly off.
  • Shadow_SporkShadow_Spork Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33306Members
    7 years!! That's a long time! Congrats you guys!!

I actually can't wait to get this game now!

Then again, I know you guys are working hard for this! Keep up the great work!!
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735095:date=Oct 31 2009, 01:02 PM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Oct 31 2009, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i also agree with that resized picture, but pls dont forget to shrink or disable that MEGA lmg ^^ i mean... WTF? this isnt a bazooka, it takes out 1/4 of the whole screen...
    a skulk right down and you are a free frag!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!

I mean ffs it looks like a freaking bus. It better be capable of shooting ###### rockets in full auto + flamethrower + welder!!

It's very obvious what the problem is here. The devs are to lazy to look at what real guns look like (and therefore provide what people would expect... i.e. i was expecting a carbine/m4 style rifle for my "lmg"... something skeletonized and light-weight with equipment-attachment-rails and deadly and powerful in all moments of the game... not a intergalactic tampon launcher) and instead they go immediately to a blank piece of paper and, through the magic of their limitless creativity, start drawing some squares... there... it's done... wait no... *slaps the tsa logo on the barrel* .... their now the game is finished off!!!
  • lemon4lemon4 Join Date: 2009-02-28 Member: 66583Members
    Very nice teaser screenshots, I think I'll preorder the special edition one next friday when I get paid. It's a good thing that I plan on building a new computer too to play this soon to be awesome of a game. Like what others have said, I believe the first-person gun model and the skulk world model can and should be reduced in size to make it similar to NS1 and less CS:S like.
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 1970-01-01 Member:
    <!--quoteo(post=1735144:date=Oct 31 2009, 10:06 PM:name=UncleCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleCrunch @ Oct 31 2009, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1/ 2 Screenshots only ? it's a joke ? If you don't have anything to come with. just don't.

Teeth in the scren are :
    -Unlogical (captain!)

Just rip it off.

As if releasing the article and keeping connected to the community postpones the game in any way. ;)

And as you said about the bitecam, cleaners will remove it especially for you, so why complain so much?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735219:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:15 AM:name=Kradath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kradath @ Nov 1 2009, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735219"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As if releasing the article and keeping connected to the community postpones the game in any way. ;)

And as you said about the bitecam, cleaners will remove it especially for you, so why complain so much?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just in case this creates misconceptions: As far as I know, the bitecam cannot be removed without severly modifying(/hacking) the game and no league allows such modication.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Correct. I'm assuming the same principles will remain from ns1 with consistency checks.