Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS 7th Anniversary, Progress and first NS2 Screenshots

Comments

• cerberus414cerberus414 Join Date: 2005-05-07 Member: 51098Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Saw the new screenshots and I'm sold. Just got my special edition pre-ordered. Can't believe I was hesitant before, due to insufficient information about the game.
    No more doubt for sure. It'll turn out to be a great game.
    Best $40 I've spent.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735312:date=Nov 1 2009, 12:54 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 1 2009, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys,

We know the weapon view model size is too large, and have plans to reduce it. While the concept and look of it is pretty final, we can adjust the position, camera FOV and overall size fairly easily, and will continue to tweak and refine the <b>Assault Rifle</b> view model as we go along to find the size that works the best both aesthetically and for gameplay.

Thanks.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

trippa's all yall i want my highly adaptable AR to shoot 7.56 mm pulse rounds and not 3.5 mm lmg or smg rounds. be large enough and bulky enough to incorparate all its connections adaptions i dont want my mounted grenade launcher to be a "tampon launcher as someone put it, and the gun its self should be bulky and big enough to incorparate every thing it needs for this Arcade style futuristic fps/rts hybrid.
    Read the previous updates and follow what UWE is saying. the gun concept work has been around. these things you should know if you put in some effort followed the information released and didnt just dive right in screaming how it isn't a clone of the original game.

what makes me laugh is, as I think about it. that I could be a obnoxious gen y introvert as well. With a touch of sarcasm and a spot of sugar and spice and cry and jump all over someone else's creative genius rudely. But then again id much prefer to wish all your parent get cancer and die. so you can bloody grow up and take a step out in this unknown world on your own two feet. Just so I can watch your attitude cope a lot of rapid re-adjustments from you consistently being punched in the face.

all these claims about size this size that effects game balance. you haven't even played the game yet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    on another matter of much more importance. bloody well done UWE charlie and team watched and followed you guys for a long time still playing ns even today abeit the Australian community is a bit dry we still have regular games and there is always a few people to gib

happy halloween. happy birthday. the games coming along fantastically. don't go chasing these small minded ghosts to make every one happy stick with your dream just keep sharing snippets with us. other wise we wont get our exo skeleton or our DI if you have to resize rearranged manipulate or adjust every tiny little thing some ###### doesn't like the look of and makes a rude post about it.

me i am holding out to see the kharra structure's it's the thing i look at most in 80% of my ns life they currently play a huge part in movement, control, subtly, blocking, defence in my kharra game play. the correct placement of a certain tower or chamber can change the out come of a game and i cant wait to see my architecture of destruction which could easily be a sink hole under my house if i don't use it correctly.
  • ThaRealNzNexusThaRealNzNexus Join Date: 2009-08-22 Member: 68566Members
    ahm gonna buy diz shyt
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 1970-01-01 Member:
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735387:date=Nov 1 2009, 11:47 PM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEX9 @ Nov 1 2009, 11:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->trippa's all yall i want my highly adaptable AR to shoot 7.56 mm pulse rounds and not 3.5 mm lmg or smg rounds. be large enough and bulky enough to incorparate all its connections adaptions i dont want my mounted grenade launcher to be a "tampon launcher as someone put it, and the gun its self should be bulky and big enough to incorparate every thing it needs for this Arcade style futuristic fps/rts hybrid.
    Read the previous updates and follow what UWE is saying. the gun concept work has been around. these things you should know if you put in some effort followed the information released and didnt just dive right in screaming how it isn't a clone of the original game.

what makes me laugh is, as I think about it. that I could be a obnoxious gen y introvert as well. With a touch of sarcasm and a spot of sugar and spice and cry and jump all over someone else's creative genius rudely. But then again id much prefer to wish all your parent get cancer and die. so you can bloody grow up and take a step out in this unknown world on your own two feet. Just so I can watch your attitude cope a lot of rapid re-adjustments from you consistently being punched in the face.

all these claims about size this size that effects game balance. you haven't even played the game yet<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one is complaining about the weapon size itself. It's about the proportions. Should the HMG just because of being a HMG use 3/4 of the whole screen? It's just a question of relation.

And complaining about such small aspects is a very big compliment by the way. ;)
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735231:date=Nov 1 2009, 05:14 AM:name=haymo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (haymo @ Nov 1 2009, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys flayra was inspired by flying fish's image and resized the models, also fixed the guns aspect and size. I think it's looking good now.. what do you guys think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Much nicer! I have to admit that while the initial screen-shots looked fabulous, I was a bit surprised by the enormity of the aliens and the LMG. This size of both in this new mock-up looks perfect.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735259:date=Nov 1 2009, 09:38 AM:name=Centurion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Centurion @ Nov 1 2009, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735259"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But it's way too big, taking too much space on the screen. Imagine how it will look for people that use low resolutions like 640x460 or 800x600?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I completely agree with you that the size of the gun in the mock-up is too large but arguing that someone would play the game at 640x480 is a bit absurd. I'm sure the Devs will take all the criticisms to heart and make changes where necessary, especially once it gets to a play-testing stage where it becomes obvious what factors imbalance the gameplay. I think there are way too many people on the forums who are up-in-arms over some of the stuff that is being revealed without realizing that some (or a lot) of it could change - the game is still in development and everyone needs to realize that. This is why no other company would reveal info during development and I applaud the devs for putting up with all the cry-babying and tantrums that are occurring on the forum. Fortunately, a large percentage of the people are voicing their criticisms constructively.

BTW Centurion, I did not want to imply that you were cry-babying or having a tantrum but figured it was a good place to say what needed to be said. :)
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited November 2009
    My overall impression is that the game looks like the concept art.

I realise that is sort of the point of concept art in general but the game REALLY looks like it.

As in you seem to be powering the engine using Corey's brain.

I'm still not entirely sure whether the skulk mouth is painted or modelled.

It also reminds me of killzone 2 which has sort of the same feel, as though the world is not merely a set of vertices but there is an actual volume defined there as well.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735407:date=Nov 1 2009, 06:34 PM:name=Warmonger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Warmonger @ Nov 1 2009, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I completely agree with you that the size of the gun in the mock-up is too large but arguing that someone would play the game at 640x480 is a bit absurd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Different resolutions ought to have HUD elements (and view models) taking up the same percentage of the screen anyway...if they don't then something wasn't done right
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    edited November 2009
    As a additional foot note. I have no issue with constructive criticism. its those that are incapable of being polite, or make a weighted argument that I have a issue with how they chose to voice there opinion ;)
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    On vacation at the moment but saw the twitter update from my phone and had to post my support. Great job UWE! Stay the course and get us the playable alpha so we can give you more informed feedback.

Reeeeally looking forward to the tools (and a closer look at the lerk!).
  • ToKanderToKander Join Date: 2009-10-11 Member: 69019Members
    Looks like itll be a beaty.
    Happy b-day, now give us the terror that flaps in the night!

The Lerk!
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735481:date=Nov 2 2009, 07:10 AM:name=ToKander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ToKander @ Nov 2 2009, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks like itll be a beaty.
    Happy b-day, now give us the terror that flaps in the night!

The Lerk!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

or doesnt flap as the case may be D:
  • TurtleTurtle Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1540Members
    The gun being off to the side also means the muzzle flash doesn't block marines from seeing (and shooting) fast moving aliens now. However, looks like aliens players will want to run towards or hide in the lower right vision of a marine. ;)

I find it funny how people are getting their panties in a bunch over small things, getting rather indignant about it too. It's okay to critique things that you'd prefer to see changed, but to insult the developers for what is essentially a screen shot meant for show over things that are trivially tweaked in the game, not to mention stuff that we players will be able to help change when they release the alpha and beta versions? That's seriously immature, especially so that the ones doing the real whining probably could never make such things if their life depended on it.
  • TAz00TAz00 Join Date: 2004-10-06 Member: 32113Members
    edited November 2009
    Omg it has been this long? We love you, keep up the brilliant work !
  • valkiuzvalkiuz Join Date: 2009-07-07 Member: 68066Members
    happy birthday~

very nice screenshots!
  • JaynerdJaynerd Join Date: 2008-06-26 Member: 64504Members
    You're not where you thought you'd be, but still I have goose bumps. Oddly enough, I feel like I'm part of something special. When there is an update the energy flows, like you said, a marriage, a relationship, it's bouncing off the walls. A realm of playfulness is the gift you gave us seven years ago. Conceived with guns and spores and nodes. I wasn't there, I heard nothing of NS until 2005. Well I ain't missing the show this time, and you can bet I'm bringing everyone who wants to feel like a kid I can find. You're a joy to follow. I'm laughing, screaming and giving my best war face right there with ya, in spirit of course. So, COURAGE for the road ahead, and a toast to these creative devils!
  • OnkelOnkel Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67544Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735144:date=Oct 31 2009, 10:06 PM:name=UncleCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleCrunch @ Oct 31 2009, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1/ 2 Screenshots only ? it's a joke ? If you don't have anything to come with. just don't.

2/ I thought the teeth matter was ruled out.
    Teeth in the scren are :
    -Unlogical (captain!)
    -Ment to hide something (mostly net-resync, like "huh?, where's my marin cheek warped?").
    -The first thing claners will do is to remove it.
    -About slime animation "on" (no 'in' but 'on') the screen if there is. Some EU states (maybe more) forbid that.
    -Better have nothing on the screen. It's Kharra's side !!! No Holographic HUD, blood smell is largely enough. The 'connaisseurs' know what i'm talking about.

Just rip it off.

3/ i agree with some ppl over here. Less teasing, get the game out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1/ Well if you look on other debut screenshots it's the same scene from different angles, I wouldn't care if it were 2 or 20 tbh - just because all other games e.g. Max Payne 3 have multiple shots of the same scene. Whatever floats your boat!

2/ Teeth is:
    -Neat, but yeah humans don't have any vision sense from the mouth - it's highly unlogical that a leaping maniac wouldn't use some sort of pheromonbasedsensor or something like that, that we could just translate to human vision. And yeah they got eyes(with no pupils) - Alien Flashlight Vision anyone?! (idiot)
    -Yeah probable meant to hide something that's why marines don't have cheek vision! (idiot)
    -Let claners remove it, I don't care really. I want a immersive experience and besides you don't think it's a balance issue? I mean you could decrease the width of the angle you can see instead? Then you wouldn't complain. (idiot)
    -I don't care about Germany, ###### off. (idiot)
    -Can't argue with that really, preferences mate. Some like no HUD some other likes maximum HUD.

3/ Yeah don't tease us - just don't say anything to promote or get feedback on before you release the game right in our faces! (idiot)

---------

I will preorder this game, when I feel that I got $39.99 to spend from my game budget - so not this fall/winter. To many darn good games.
    Natural Selection is the mod/game that I've played the longest time without going into clans or guilds or whatever, it were good teamplay at the public server so I enjoyed it a public level already. Must be the reason I've never liked the co_ maps. =)
  • NS-SkorpioNNS-SkorpioN Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58101Members
    I would like, if it is possible, to redesign the top of the LMG; I do not like all the details it has .. too many things in a small place, I prefer that space would be occupied with just a carry handle; I would keep the digital display counter ammo. I attached a picture to be clearer.

<a href="http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1999/ns2lmg.jpg" target="_blank">http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1999/ns2lmg.jpg</a>
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    A very nice set of screenshots. Brings back the atmosphere.

As for those posting nothing but critique - brighten up a bit.
    Besides, it's not like they're making the game custom for each and every player out there.
    If you don't like X, and want it turned into Y instead, make your own mod.
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735490:date=Nov 2 2009, 02:01 AM:name=Turtle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turtle @ Nov 2 2009, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735490"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The gun being off to the side also means the muzzle flash doesn't block marines from seeing (and shooting) fast moving aliens now. However, looks like aliens players will want to run towards or hide in the lower right vision of a marine. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was hoping there was a left and right handed option...
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the update guys! I like the look of the whole thing and can't wait to be playing.

I noticed the walls and ceiling seem a lot "bumpier". Are there any special changes for the skulk still be able to wallwalk smoothly along these surfaces? Because those would have been hell in NS1.
  • FrostFire626FrostFire626 Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63207Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735524:date=Nov 2 2009, 07:07 AM:name=NS-SkorpioN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS-SkorpioN @ Nov 2 2009, 07:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like, if it is possible, to redesign the top of the LMG; I do not like all the details it has .. too many things in a small place, I prefer that space would be occupied with just a carry handle; I would keep the digital display counter ammo. I attached a picture to be clearer.

<a href="http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1999/ns2lmg.jpg" target="_blank">http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1999/ns2lmg.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like the sketch; much more conventional and rugged looking. I do agree that there is a little too much embellishment on the current LMG in the form of buttons, lights, and wires. However, I think the top of the current NS2 LMG might be retractable judging by the looks of it, so this may be the reason for its strange top design.
  • CenturionCenturion Join Date: 2005-07-15 Member: 55987Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735407:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:34 PM:name=Warmonger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Warmonger @ Nov 1 2009, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I completely agree with you that the size of the gun in the mock-up is too large but arguing that someone would play the game at 640x480 is a bit absurd. I'm sure the Devs will take all the criticisms to heart and make changes where necessary, especially once it gets to a play-testing stage where it becomes obvious what factors imbalance the gameplay. I think there are way too many people on the forums who are up-in-arms over some of the stuff that is being revealed without realizing that some (or a lot) of it could change - the game is still in development and everyone needs to realize that. This is why no other company would reveal info during development and I applaud the devs for putting up with all the cry-babying and tantrums that are occurring on the forum. Fortunately, a large percentage of the people are voicing their criticisms constructively.

BTW Centurion, I did not want to imply that you were cry-babying or having a tantrum but figured it was a good place to say what needed to be said. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I agree things can change, that's why I'm saying what I think about the size here, they need to know what people are thinking about their game.
    But I have to admit that these are only two screenshots, can't say much with only two. We'll have to wait for more screenshots and gameplay videos to see if the sizes are really feeling that big or not.

And no problem, it's always good to see what people think about what I'm saying! :]

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=NS-SkorpioN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS-SkorpioN)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like, if it is possible, to redesign the top of the LMG; I do not like all the details it has .. too many things in a small place, I prefer that space would be occupied with just a carry handle; I would keep the digital display counter ammo. I attached a picture to be clearer.

<a href="http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1999/ns2lmg.jpg" target="_blank">http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1999/ns2lmg.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey, nice design for the top of the gun, I think it looks better this way.
  • NS-SkorpioNNS-SkorpioN Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58101Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735597:date=Nov 2 2009, 03:12 PM:name=FrostFire626)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FrostFire626 @ Nov 2 2009, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the sketch; much more conventional and rugged looking. I do agree that there is a little too much embellishment on the current LMG in the form of buttons, lights, and wires. However, I think the top of the current NS2 LMG might be retractable judging by the looks of it, so this may be the reason for its strange top design.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also assumed that the top appears to be retractable, but I prefer, and I share your opinion, keep the design simple and rustic.

<!--quoteo(post=1735614:date=Nov 2 2009, 04:03 PM:name=Centurion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Centurion @ Nov 2 2009, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey, nice design for the top of the gun, I think it looks better this way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thx, Im just wanted to leave my suggestion about the gun, I hope that my contribution be considered positive :)
  • FixXxeRseFixXxeRse Join Date: 2007-05-09 Member: 60845Members
    Added too desktop background...

Got the SE edition ofcourse...

Keep up the good work...

Regards |TG|FixXxeR
    www.tacticalgamer.com
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Plenty of new believers here at work that see my new desktop backgrounds. :-)

Skulky needs evolve some floss. Looks like he has GIN-GI-VI-TIIISSSSSS...
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    omg monse

Also how do marines aim their guns, no sights on them :p
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1735636:date=Nov 2 2009, 03:50 PM:name=MonsieurEvil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MonsieurEvil @ Nov 2 2009, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulky needs evolve some floss. Looks like he has GIN-GI-VI-TIIISSSSSS...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Perhaps on their homeworld, the Skulk can "hunt" like a Komodo Dragon - bite the prey, then let the bacteria in their mouths kill it after a few days. They're actually a very similar creature if you look at pictures of them, but skulks have shorter necks and tails...

...their stout build and leap capability might lend credence to their homeworld having a stronger gravitational field - which would help explain the fades' ability to blink and the seemingly other-worldly capabilities the aliens are endowed with, compared to their human opponents.

Sci-fi mode now off :-p
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'd imagine that with the Marine's fancy-dancy helmet and its eyepieces and such, your weapon reticle would be slaved to the point of aim and would therefore magically appear as part of your HUD. So no longer any need for iron sights on the weapon. That's why TSA Marine's never sight down the weapon, but shoot rather 'cowboy style'. Perhaps that risen piece is the sensor that ties point of aim to your helmet? Definitely looks a liitle fragile, but plenty of rifles have had tiny parts that easily damaged - witness the M16's POS ejection port cover.

Which as a former Marine, I find the 'magic laser HUD sighting' awesome and terrifying - "Dang, killing skulks is a piece of ca--- OMG meh batteries ran down, I'm blind!!!!" *CHOMP*. The US Army's been working on those shenanigans for years with their 'Land Warrior' project. Sounds heavy.

Also, carrying handles FTL. The first thing I learned in boot camp was that if a drill instructor saw you carrying your weapon by the carrying handle, that was a thrashin'. As far as we were concerned, that was something that held your sights or accessories, never your filthy paws.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1735482:date=Nov 2 2009, 09:29 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 2 2009, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or doesnt flap as the case may be D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As long as it doesn't hover, if that is the case ):

<!--quoteo(post=1735644:date=Nov 2 2009, 11:24 PM:name=MonsieurEvil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MonsieurEvil @ Nov 2 2009, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which as a former Marine, I find the 'magic laser HUD sighting' awesome and terrifying - "Dang, killing skulks is a piece of ca--- OMG meh batteries ran down, I'm blind!!!!" *CHOMP*. The US Army's been working on those shenanigans for years with their 'Land Warrior' project. Sounds heavy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah but the US Army does not use Nanites :P

Also (after a remark from a friend of mine when showing him the screenshots)...

I have the feeling the Skulk could go "QUACK" any time... And perhaps flap around :P