Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS 7th Anniversary, Progress and first NS2 Screenshots

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS 7th Anniversary, Progress and first NS2 Screenshots here

Comments

• MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    Whoooooooooooooooo!
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Kick ass! They look awesome guys, thanks. Great update.
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    Simply amazing. The game looks fantastic right now.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The Skulks are so big!

It's awesome. I love it! The graphics are amazing.
  • edkrstedkrst Join Date: 2009-09-11 Member: 68748Members
    edited October 2009
    "As most of you know, we've been planning on releasing NS2 in some playable form this Fall. Back in May, we thought that if the game wasn't done, at least it would be ready to play in an alpha or beta state at the very least. We wish we still thought that was true, but now we realize it isn't happening."

Thanks for coming clean guys. I know that many developers misjudge the amount of time it will take to get a game done. I really appreciate the honesty.

One concern about the marine view--no crosshairs?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome, and I can't wait to see the mods people can make with the engine.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That Lerk looks creepy as hell.

Reminds me of Silent Hill.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    If the game isn't in a "playable alpha or beta state" then what are the screenshots of? Posed models on a static background?
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    I'm endlessly impressed at how visually stunning the game is!
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    FAWCKING AMAZING!

that is all sir...
  • ItalianmagicItalianmagic Join Date: 2008-12-13 Member: 65755Members
    Happy 7 years of greatness! Enjoyed the shots! Can't wait to see more!
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1734683:date=Oct 30 2009, 02:53 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 30 2009, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the game isn't in a "playable alpha or beta state" then what are the screenshots of? Posed models on a static background?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think their definition of an alpha, is a more complete game and not as buggy/glitchy as possible.

Where the beta will be basically the end product, without game balancing done.

I'm expecting the alpha to be more like what we see in other pre-release demos nowadays.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Looks nice. The Lerk's a terror.
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734683:date=Oct 30 2009, 05:53 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 30 2009, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the game isn't in a "playable alpha or beta state" then what are the screenshots of? Posed models on a static background?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's done:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of the game design is done and all the basic game systems are implemented. We still have more work to do on our particle system, weapon effects, Commander Mode interface and lots of little things like synching animations and sounds and that elusive "feel".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's left:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're cranking on weapon models and structures and we're right on track with them. Animation remains a large task (we have two animators) but we're bringing on a third animator now so we hope that will reduce the workload there. Our sound effects are going much faster than expected and sound fantastic. We're just starting the score but we expect to have a full soundtrack when we ship.

The alpha will be pretty stripped down - probably a single map and not all of the abilities, structures or upgrades.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just some things I pulled from today's announcement.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still waiting for the F-F-F-F-<b>FADE</b>!
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In Unknown Worlds we Trust!
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    I demand to see the Fade, and the Female Marine and the Heavy EXO!

I'll hold these forums hostage untill you do so.

<a href="http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/funny-pictures-cat-holds-your-beer-hostage.jpg" target="_blank">http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress....eer-hostage.jpg</a>
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Love the lerk, love the look of it all in-game. Congrats, keep it up!
  • SlunkWranglerSlunkWrangler Join Date: 2009-06-09 Member: 67765Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Just read your blog and the interview, I am thoroughly pumped. And congratulations on your 7 year anniversary.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Better than I thought.
    It's like Sex for the eyes.....
    <!--quoteo(post=1734705:date=Oct 30 2009, 11:05 PM:name=BluePhish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BluePhish @ Oct 30 2009, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Better than I thought.
    It's like Sex for the eyes.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

but not as painful as real eye sex :D ... D:
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    Really, really, really awesome, guys. The graphics are top-notch, but more importantly the setting and feel in those screenshots are everything I imagined NS2 to be all this time. I love it and really have nothing negative to say about it whatsoever.

The delay is all fine and dandy, we all expected it and I'm just happy to hear it's official. It's done when it's done, and we'll just have to be patient for a while longer! Most of us have been waiting for years, so I reckon we can wait a little longer!

Also, congratulations to Natural Selection on it's birthday as since 10 minutes ago, it's October 31st where I am. Thanks for bringing me 7 full years of complete awesomeness. And here's to another 7 to come! :D
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    You were about to cut out the exo/heavy and almost even DI ? WHAAAAAAAAAAAT ?

Did you want to implement them later or would they have been lost forever ?
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    I was expected some sort of in-game action video rather than 2 screenshots, that would calm down more effectively the hardcore players that was waiting the alpha to be released today, but anyways, love the screenshots ;)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    Good thing DI wasn't cut, as it sounds like one of the coolest/unique parts of the game. The first thing I thought when seeing the 'skulk cam' pic was "it looks like a painting". You guys have some real nice artwork going into this game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1734713:date=Oct 30 2009, 11:10 PM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Oct 30 2009, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You were about to cut out the exo/heavy and almost even DI ? WHAAAAAAAAAAAT ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Made a lump in my throat too when I saw that :\ but I'm just glad they weren't cut...I'm very happy I might get to Falcomm Punch skulks :D
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Grats Flayra.

Game is looking bad ass. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

<3
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Wow the screenshots are really impressive. The only thing that looks a bit strange, the skulks seem to be doing nothing. Then again, I suppose it's just the posing for the camera factor.
  • eliw00deliw00d Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69175Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great post! Sad to hear that there's no alpha/beta this Fall, but whatever it takes to make this great!

One thing I wanted to ask, is if there will be an "iron sight" mode for Frontiersmen weapons? That would definitely put this game above the rest, for sure. That is a feature I have loved in recent games such as Killing Floor, and especially older games.