Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS 7th Anniversary, Progress and first NS2 Screenshots

Comments

• WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Great post!
    I think we all saw the delay announcement coming. And I'm glad, quite honestly. It means more time to finish/polish the game, and more time for we pre-orderers to play test when the times comes.

Here's hoping for a Halloween 2010 release!
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[TSA Marines] carry a pistol and the 2.sec SwitchAx is which is a foldable axe. It's so-named because it takes less than 2 seconds to pull out and implant an enemy's hide.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds awesome and much more badass than a tazer.
  • RipeXRipeX Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69179Members
    Simply amazing! I'm getting the Special Edition right now! :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    This engine is going to rock, it all looks amazing. But one I kinda want to know... Maps and progress, it takes time to create maps and balance them and well you know do all the stuff to make them work and work well at that... So... How many are done...

Or is this information "need to know" :D
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I played on the original Halloween release... loved NS ever since.
  • 0dy0dy Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25788Members
    man its been a long time since i did anything NS. i also work for a tech startup so im glad i could help by pre-purchasing NS2 and helping you guys stay on track........

now if only my startup could get money so they can start paying me properly..........

on a side note. i honestly half dont believe those were in game screenshots. some parts of them made me believe it was (some of the ducting was blocky so it made it seem like an ingame shot), but some of the textures and stuff just looked too god dam good to be real in game stuff. i tend to believe you guys though that its real, i cant wait for the final product.

keep it up.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    This whole news post is probably more than we could have ever asked for. It's pretty fantastic how up-front UWE have been, although I guess it probably would have been necessary for something like this if radio silence had continued another few weeks what with the rate of people getting anxious and making a fuss on the forums.

The screenshots look fantastic and I really appreciate the massive status update of NS2.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/10/30/interview-unknown-worlds-chats-about-first-natural-selection-2/" target="_blank">Bigdownload interview:</a><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He's lean, lighter and faster than the steroid pigs you see in other games. He's also of mixed race which makes him look a bit exotic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

o_O
  • SpetsnazSpetsnaz Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24761Members, Constellation
    thanks so much guys! looks fricking amazing!

if i won the euro millions i would pump so much frickin money into this...
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734768:date=Oct 30 2009, 08:06 PM:name=0dy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0dy @ Oct 30 2009, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->on a side note. i honestly half dont believe those were in game screenshots. some parts of them made me believe it was (some of the ducting was blocky so it made it seem like an ingame shot), but some of the textures and stuff just looked too god dam good to be real in game stuff. i tend to believe you guys though that its real, i cant wait for the final product.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually had the same reaction especially toward the skulk in the vent screenshot. If there's been one trend with all the games I've followed it's that developers blatantly lie in order to create hype about their game. My latest disappointed was <a href="http://www.darkfallonline.com/index.html" target="_blank">Darkfall</a> where the (very believable and seemingly honest) developers flat out lied and said their game was feature complete yet 60% of the features listed on their website were not in the game upon release.

I'm not saying UWE is lying or embellishing the truth but from the player's perspective it's almost become standard practice in the industry. I think we all hold UWE to a higher standard than that. It's only because it is UWE saying they're taken ingame (so we can assume it's one player screenshot'ing another) that I believe them. Had it been an EA press release I would have just dismissed it.
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    I'm shocked. I can't sleep now :-P

These 2 screenshots are beautiful. Congratulations.
  • MormyMormy Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69155Members
    i would say to you 2 i agree .
  • lillbrorsanlillbrorsan Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20060Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2009
    I need to change my pants.

Those screenshots are so awesome, the skulks are way bigger then i imagined.
  • MormyMormy Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69155Members
    WE need more proof
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited October 2009
    If this is realy ingame, just WOW and Kick a**.
    If this is a render...BAD!
    I am very surprised how giant the skulk now is but seeing the left marine from behind, remind me totaly to the old feeling, very good work UWE.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1734772:date=Oct 31 2009, 12:15 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Oct 31 2009, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually had the same reaction especially toward the skulk in the vent screenshot. If there's been one trend with all the games I've followed it's that developers blatantly lie in order to create hype about their game. My latest disappointed was <a href="http://www.darkfallonline.com/index.html" target="_blank">Darkfall</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Interesting. Of all the things, that skulk in vent screenshot is the thing we'd least need to fake if we were faking screenshots. No matter what your computer and graphics card, you can handle anything that is in that shot. It's really simple, a bunch of modular vent piece models that are all on 1 texture sheet, that the mappers can place down and connect up in various ways to make the vents, some decent lighting, the skulk model and the bite cam model. The whole vent background in that shot is less detail then is in a single marine. The end version of the game will hopefully look even better, with effects for drool dripping from the teeth.

--Cory
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I don't want to be spoiled brat but I think a lerk reveal is in order!

I want to see that bad boy up close.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks excellent guys! Are we going to be getting decoda and the rest of the SDK along with the alpha or before?
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    I can now see why you guys chose the cleft jaw for the skulk. Its much less obstructing to the player view to have no teeth there.
    Looking at the full sized picture of the skulks in the vent makes it seem less "art like" to me, I guess it's the artifacts of resizing on the lighting. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/NS2_skulk_vent.jpg" target="_blank">Click</a>.
  • bl4ckd0gbl4ckd0g Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66495Members
    very nice work there.
    I just want to suggest to make a nice roundup/screencast of the tools when you are ready to release them, not with a schooling intent, but to show and convince people (like me) to preorder ;)
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1734780:date=Oct 30 2009, 07:25 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 30 2009, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting. Of all the things, that skulk in vent screenshot is the thing we'd least need to fake if we were faking screenshots. No matter what your computer and graphics card, you can handle anything that is in that shot. It's really simple, a bunch of modular vent piece models that are all on 1 texture sheet, that the mappers can place down and connect up in various ways to make the vents, some decent lighting, the skulk model and the bite cam model. The whole vent background in that shot is less detail then is in a single marine. The end version of the game will hopefully look even better, with effects for drool dripping from the teeth.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alien drool = win for immersion.

One thing I wanted to ask though, is that I made a thread awhile back about glowing alien eyes in the dark. The eyes on the skulk appear to be very bright. Will they glow in the dark when the Power Grid is down?

Thanks again :)
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    edited October 2009
    Looks great, but the screens raise a couple of concerns. The skulks are big and when combined with the fact that they're slower means that they're easy to hit and it lowers the skill ceiling for aiming and skulk manuverability. I also hope that the collision and mapping is being done well so getting stuck on props on the wall does not become an annoyance.
    <!--quoteo(post=1734788:date=Oct 31 2009, 12:37 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Oct 31 2009, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing I wanted to ask though, is that I made a thread awhile back about glowing alien eyes in the dark. The eyes on the skulk appear to be very bright. Will they glow in the dark when the Power Grid is down?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be quite ironic for this to be implemented in a game called Natural Selection, huh? :p
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Skulk and Lerk look really big compared to the NS1 versions. I wound how much stronger they are going to be to compensate.
  • KerotanKerotan Join Date: 2005-04-17 Member: 48692Members, Constellation
    Can not wait till I can start playing!! <3<3

Looks so sexeh. Kinda surprised at the size of the lerk and skulks though :O
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    Amazing pics! Looks better than I expected.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As most of you know, we've been planning on releasing NS2 in some playable form this Fall. Back in May, we thought that if the game wasn't done, at least it would be ready to play in an alpha or beta state at the very least. We wish we still thought that was true, but now we realize it isn't happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So does this mean we won't even see an alpha or beta until next year?
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    weapon model is way to big!

can i disable it? (i want to see as much as possible and i can disable it in all prevailing shooters :) )

gg so far, work on!
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Hmm, the Skulks seem really big? I mean they're going in vents the next pic, vents must be huge? o.O Or are my eyes just failing on me.

Anyhow, you know what would be insanely awesome? If you're a skulk and camping somewhere, there'd be a random proc of a little bit of drool oozing down your tongue... That'd make me laff hard.