Pause/Esc Menu Bug

Comments

• madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    Hmmm this is going to take a bit to unravel, I'm on the case though. I'll be in transit tomorrow(flying home) but will take a look at this tomorrow night (PST). Sorry for the delayed response.
  • Catalin28Catalin28 Romania Join Date: 2018-12-27 Member: 247302Members
    I know .it doesnt mater if i open with duble clicking or from launcher.
  • ferny13ferny13 Texas Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247835Members
    Found a way for my game to work. I plug in some gaming headphones before i open the game then it works. I can even unplug them after the game opens. Its a temp solution but it works. Also my headphones are usb one so i haven't tried the audio jack ones.
  • superantivenomsuperantivenom Join Date: 2019-01-17 Member: 248900Members
    So I'm also having the same problem as many people in this particular thread, no sound and a buggy pause menu. Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen? If I remember correctly my game has been like this since the full game release. Also in case it's important I have the steam version of the game.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2019
    ferny13 wrote: »
    Found a way for my game to work. I plug in some gaming headphones before i open the game then it works. I can even unplug them after the game opens. Its a temp solution but it works. Also my headphones are usb one so i haven't tried the audio jack ones.

Are those USB? Or 3.5mm jack? If it's USB you're plugging in a new sound card basically. If not, you're changing the output of the on-board card.

Possible other ways around the problem, assuming updating the drivers for your sound card and video card (video has on-board audio thanks to HDMI and DisplayPort, so it's also a sound device) drivers doesn't work would be to restart the Windows Audio service.
    So theres no solve for this problem huh?
    my headphones are usb ones. and i tried restarting the audio service and no change. the game still softlocks. I already updated my onboard drivers.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I had some poor lad write to me on discord about this problem,it might be spreading. He also gets stuck after using the ladder back into his lifepod.
    Just wanted to say that I went out and bought USB headphones and now the sound is back. So I can confirm that @ferny13 solution works. My previous headphones were audio jack and they did not work with bringing the sound back.
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    Chedman wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    You guys are launching Subnautica from the Epic Games Launcher, right? Not using a shortcut to the .exe or double-clicking the .exe? Apparently the DRM doesn't like it if you don't launch from inside the Epic Games Launcher.
    I also got the same issue again. My game was running fine for 2 weeks but pressing tab to open my inventory displays nothing and clicking escape to pause the game softlocks itself.

Also I want to thank you for doing a lot for us

Can you share a screencap of the inventory when it displays nothing?

Do you have any gamepads/joystick/steering wheel attached to your PC?
    @Lightdevil @superantivenom @ferny13 I think we're dealing with a few different symptoms. Can you confirm that the issue you had with the game before the USB headphones fixed it? Were you having issues with the game not launching? or were you having issues while in a game where there was no sound and game freezing?
    I just have my headphones and a gaming controller attached to my computer. Both USBs. I also sometimes use my ps4 controller via bluetooth
    No sound and whenever I would got to my inventory or check what some lockers have, it wouldn't show anything in it and I couldn't get out of that screen. I could move up or down but not forward or backwards. When I would go to the menu screen that's it would soft lock. And I couldn't interact with anything.
    If you're on PC / Mac, be sure you've disabled any mods temporarily to confirm that it's not an issue caused by a mod. If you disable mods and the issue goes away, then it's a mod issue -- put the mods back one at a time until you find the culprit (although it could be two mods conflicting with each other, hmm). Once you find the mod, contact the mod author to fix it.

If you don't use mods or you've disabled all of them and the problem persists, then we are looking at a game bug.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone hadn't realized this.
    No mods. I didn't even know there were mods.
    ferny13 wrote: »
    No mods. I didn't even know there were mods.

Say no more: here (if you're interested in them, once you get your game fixed).

Also, what happens if you manually remove the drivers for your audio device(s), including your graphics card sound, if any, and then re-install them?
    Thanks and same thing.i tried reinstalling them manually, thru windows updates, and device manager. Still no sound and menu soft locks game.
    I was having the exact same problems as ferny13. No sound on game launch, the new game cinematic wouldn't play, when i go into any menu i can no longer leave it (but am still able to move). Plugging in usb headphones fixes all those issues for me. I tried re-installing and updating sound card drivers and they never worked. so far my only fix has been the usb headphones.
  • ChedmanChedman Join Date: 2018-12-22 Member: 246659Members
    madsauce wrote: »
    Can you share a screencap of the inventory when it displays nothing?

Do you have any gamepads/joystick/steering wheel attached to your PC?

The issue was fixed for me a reason I don't know exactly. I went into nvidia drivers downloads and downloaded some drivers. I don't have a screenshot, but I do remember the entire inventory looked like the regular inventory background with no visible slots.
    Thank you for the feedback everyone.
    Hey .This problem willl apear in below zero?or its just on subnautica?thx
    edited January 2019
    It happened again, but here is my inventory

eizgdxg92plb.png
    @madsauce
    For me, if I restart my computer, it works fine until another app uses audio. If that happens, then I have to restart my computer.
    Hey .This problem willl apear in below zero?or its just on subnautica?thx plz respond
    For me, if I restart my computer, it works fine until another app uses audio. If that happens, then I have to restart my computer.

That sounds like something you could fix by changing the exclusive settings here (or updating your audio drivers):

16j51tt.png
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

That sounds like something you could fix by changing the exclusive settings here (or updating your audio drivers):

16j51tt.png
    I don't even have that.
    sujyyaf3a88n.png
  • SchlizerSchlizer Join Date: 2019-01-29 Member: 249612Members
    edited January 2019
    Hello, i bought the game yesterday and got the same problems. NO SOUND and after i start a game, the game is buggy when i try to get back to my base and i stuck when i use ESC. Cant close the MENU or do something else. Only alt+F4 close the game. My sound is the same settings like cheddmans. What is that early access? I mean i cant play a game that i bought. so ESC MENU bug and a bug when i try to get back in my base i stuck in the ladder + no Sound + empty inventory. 4 bugs in 1 Minute gameplay. Never saw such issues in a game before.

drivers are up to date, ive tryed reinstall, also tryed properties (beta change to experimental)
    settings, win 10
    mainboard - asus x299xe gaming
    cpu - i7 7820x
    ram - 32gb corsair vengeance rgb
    gpu - evga 1080 ti (watercooled)
    complete system is custom watercooled
    Schlizer wrote: »
    Hello, i bought the game yesterday and got the same problems. NO SOUND and after i start a game, the game is buggy when i try to get back to my base and i stuck when i use ESC. Cant close the MENU or do something else. Only alt+F4 close the game. My sound is the same settings like cheddmans. What is that early access? I mean i cant play a game that i bought. so ESC MENU bug and a bug when i try to get back in my base i stuck in the ladder + no Sound + empty inventory. 4 bugs in 1 Minute gameplay. Never saw such issues in a game before.

drivers are up to date, ive tryed reinstall, also tryed properties (beta change to experimental)
    settings, win 10
    cpu - i7 7820x

Try restarting your computer. Immediately start Subnautica. That worked for me.
    Schlizer wrote: »

settings, win 10
    cpu - i7 7820x

Or you can try USB headphones. That worked for me. It's a temp solution this they work on it.