Possible temporary fix for Pause / Esc Menu Bug

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
From this thread:
I've been having a problem since full release, and maybe a little bit before. When pressing the Escape button and going to the pause menu, the game immediately becomes unplayable. Clicking any button will not do anything and "Back to Game" won't return me to playing, forcing me to Alt+F4 and quit without saving, because that button is broken too. I've tried reinstalling the game and verifying the game's integrity, but to no avail.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping me get back on my way off of this ocean planet!
whiten01se wrote: »
Ok, did some more googling, and apparently restarting the Audio Service in Windows helps solve the issue, which is interesting because this should be equivalent to a reboot, which didn't help me.

Oh well, so if that problem occurs, first try to restart the service named "Audiosrv" in Windows.
0x6A7232 wrote: »
whiten01se wrote: »
Ok, did some more googling, and apparently restarting the Audio Service in Windows helps solve the issue, which is interesting because this should be equivalent to a reboot, which didn't help me.

Oh well, so if that problem occurs, first try to restart the service named "Audiosrv" in Windows.

AKA "Windows Audio" in Services

You can also Win + X, A and then do
net stop audiosrv
net start audiosrv

The preferred solution is to update your audio drivers. However, if this doesn't fix the problem, perhaps this might work around it:

Anyways, if you want to try restarting your audio service to see if this fixes the problem, I made a file to do it for you.

Either download this file to a convenient place (like your Desktop) and run it, or, if you're not comfortable doing that, create the file yourself:

1) Open Notepad.
2) Select, then Copy + Paste the code block below into your Notepad window.
3) Click "File > Save As"
4) Navigate to your Desktop, or another convenient place where you can open this file when needed.
5) Select "Save As Type..." and choose "All Files (*.*)" < -- very important
6) Type in a name for the file, and end it with ".cmd". I suggest "Restart Audio Service.cmd"
7) Click "Save"
8) When necessary, double-click on the file.

Be sure to give the script admin permissions if prompted, or it will not have the proper access to stop / start Windows Services.

Script:
@echo off
:: BatchGotAdmin
:-------------------------------------
REM  --> Check for permissions
>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
    echo Requesting administrative privileges...
    goto UACPrompt
) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
    echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

cscript "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    exit /B

:gotAdmin
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
    pushd "%CD%"
    CD /D "%~dp0"
:-------------------------------------- 
REM  --> Stop Windows Audio Service
echo Stopping Windows Audio Service...
net stop audiosrv
REM  --> Start Windows Audio Service
echo Starting Windows Audio Service...
net start audiosrv
echo Windows Audio Service should be restarted now.
pause

Credit to the interwebs for researching this. I have tested this on my machine and it does indeed elevate to admin, then stop and start the audio service.

IF you are not comfortable downloading OR copy+pasting this file, just do it manually:

1) Press and hold "Windows" key, while press-and-releasing first "X", then "A", then release "Windows" key.
2) Allow Admin privileges for "Windows PowerShell"
3) Put in
net stop audiosrv
and press Enter
4) Put in
net start audiosrv
and press Enter
5) Put in
exit
and press Enter OR close the PowerShell window.

Let me know if this fixes problems for anyone.