How to (easily) update your drivers

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
If you want a 3rd party driver update solution that's free and actually works, check this list by LifeWire, and look under the columns "what we like / don't like"... looks like the go-to would be DriverHub, so we'll go into that below.

I use Snappy Driver Installer from that list, but it's a bit harder to use, and downloads like every driver, ever, in several huge packs totaling about 8GB, to then install the ones you need.

I'd go with DriverHub (see next paragraph for why) and just watch during initial installation for the "I Agree" checkmark that's on any section labeled "Install Additional Software" (there's like 2, and they're for free anti-virus but you don't need that) and DE-SELECT "I agree" at the bottom and hit next (unless you want McAffee nagging you to buy their stuff, or would like to try Avast! Free Anti-Virus). See picture below.
2s7jodj.jpg

Why go with DriverHub?

1) Simplest user interface I've seen in a program like this (see Screenshots section below)
2) Minimally intrusive ads (just a banner below the operation section)
3) The bundled click-bait for the unaware wasn't sketchy (anti-virus software, a nuisance for sure, but not harmful or hard to get rid of if accidentally installed)
4) Automatically creates Restore Point before driver install
5) You can switch to "Advanced" mode and see the recommended driver version, alternative driver version for optional selection, and your currently installed version, and their providers and date of release (see Screenshots section).
6) There's a handy section called "Useful programs" on the left-side navbar with shortcuts to Windows functions that not all users are aware of. List:
Recovery options, Add/Remove Programs, System Information, Display Settings, Power Profile Settings, Network Connection Settings, Computer Management overview, Control Panel, Disk Management, Task Manager, and Command Prompt

Screenshots:

DriverHub Main:
23uu3wm.jpg
DriverHub History:
6zn5tx.jpg
Driver Restore (if a new driver causes issues):
95r761.jpg
Simple Mode:
51a3b6.jpg
Advanced Mode:
vqthtv.jpg

Websites:

Above-mentioned LifeWire list of free driver software and pros / cons
https://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206
DriverHub homepage
Snappy Driver Installer (a bit harder to use and downloads like 8GB of drivers, useful for portable updating of drivers from USB on any computer, not so much for personal updates of one or two computers) | LifeWire review

Comments

• achachaachacha United States Join Date: 2019-01-08 Member: 248327Members
    Drivers Cloud - I find to be the least intrusive and simple to use but it only detects drivers, you have to find the latest and install them yourself; which I prefer anyways.
  • blakelivelyblakelively United Kingdom Join Date: 2019-01-11 Member: 248512Members

Drivers are important because they are the interface between the operating system and hardware and updating drivers can resolve conflicts and errors due to the developers fixing bugs and other issues. System performance can also be increased and more functionality be accessed.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Drivers are important because they are the interface between the operating system and hardware and updating drivers can resolve conflicts and errors due to the developers fixing bugs and other issues. System performance can also be increased and more functionality be accessed.

@blakelively Hi, what's your favorite underwater game? I'm feeling agitated because of my insecurity and would really like to pay some of my hard-earned money to a team of professionals to do my assignment for me. Just give me your banking details and we can begin.
  • mikedavismikedavis Join Date: 2020-06-25 Member: 262122Members
    If you want to update your drivers in your windows based system then first install and download the driver in your system and update all your outdated drivers in click update. So for this your can download the best driver updater software in your system and update all your outdated drivers in your Windows based system.