Crashing launching or playing Subnautica? Follow these steps to make a good crash support post!

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @TheLividArtist It may be faulty video drivers, try reinstalling them.
  • YomikoYomiko Join Date: 2018-03-25 Member: 239477Members
    Hello! I've been having problems with the game crashing on me. The game freezes, and then the screen turns black, even though the sound keeps working. Even though I play in window mode (it solved previous issues), when the game crashes all the screen turns black, and I essentially have to turn off/restart the laptop from the button. Bad, I know...

This used to be rare enough that I would just rely on my saves. But recently, I saved a game in the Aurora and...I'm stuck. As soon as I move, within 20 seconds, the game inevitably freezes and crashes. I miss playing the game :(

I have more than 40 hours of game time added up, so I know that my settings at least used to work.

What might or might not be related is that in the days preceding this, I noticed that terrain occasionally had trouble loading. I had to slow my Seamoth at times in order to give the world time to load (and once got my Seamoth stuck inside a wreck because it loaded around me...yay).

Also, Aurora has always been a bit glitchy for me. If I jump/raise my head in the wrong area, I sort of end up in...the walls, I guess? I can see the rooms I've been in from above or the side, but I can't get back in them (and have to restart from my most recent save. Which is why I made sure to have saves in the Aurora...)

What I did: I deleted the files within CellsCache, because I read that it helped some people (although I didn't find the folder CompiledOctreesCache). Didn't work. I reinstalled the game (through Steam), but I kept the previous SavedGames folder. Didn't work. I made sure that the game uses my Radeon graphics card and not the Intel one (still does. Had to change it manually when I fist started playing).

dxdiag: pastebin.com/HpNe0TTF
    output_log : pastebin.com/Fh3RViKF

Help, please? I really like the game.
  • TheLividArtistTheLividArtist Join Date: 2018-03-09 Member: 238809Members
    @narfblat I did. I took it into geeksquad to get help and even they couldn’t figure it out. It’s not my computer, it’s something else is what they said. Oh man I’m so confused I just wanna play my games. Thanks for the help!
  • YomikoYomiko Join Date: 2018-03-25 Member: 239477Members
    (in addition to what I posted above - I also noticed a crash report in a datestamped folder, I thought I should add it: https://pastebin.com/WjTsHTF0 )
  • BuzzinFargoBuzzinFargo United States Join Date: 2018-03-20 Member: 239314Members
    Had a system just crash twice and kick me out of the game while playing. There wasn't anything specific I was doing, just playing.

These are my files:
    DxDiag: pastebin.com/2gNXDCYJ
    Output Log: pastebin.com/9ACHfimn
  • msmith71msmith71 United States Join Date: 2018-04-06 Member: 239834Members
    @Yomiko, I have also been experiencing game freezes. For me, it is very repeatable. I cannot move very far out of my current area. There are definite bounds out of which if I move, the game freezes every time. The sound continues, but the graphics and gameplay freeze. Here is what I've tried:
    • Removed CellsCache folder from SavedGames slot
    • Removed all batch-objects files from SavedGames slot
    • Verified game files
    • Uninstalled/reinstalled
    • Updated video drivers
    • Installed all outstanding Windows patches

Using the debug console, I can warp myself elsewhere, but as soon as I actually move very far, the game freezes, no matter where I warp. This is now happening on two different save games. Very frustrating for me. Lots of time I've put into this game. Very sad that those save games are unplayable now. I can start a new game and it does not have that problem, but, all that work... :(

Here are my files:

output_log.txt pastebin.com/8KNsQvrK
    DxDiag.txt pastebin.com/4bBc0CZa

I am thinking maybe this deserves its own topic, but since I just created my unknownworlds account, I cannot yet create new topics so I'm going to try this thread for now.

Any help from anybody? Anybody else experiencing a similar issue?

Thanks,
    Michael
  • msmith71msmith71 United States Join Date: 2018-04-06 Member: 239834Members
    Update!

I read in another thread that somebody was having an issue that sounded a little similar:

forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/154333/constant-crash-after-loading#latest

They mentioned that their issue went away after they asphyxiated themselves and respawned. I figured "what the hey", since my game was unplayable anyway. AND IT WORKED! Here's what I did:
    • Loaded save game (in my cyclops, but stuck... couldn't move more than a few meters in any direction)
    • Opened debug console
    • warped to 12 18 12
    • went underwater and stayed there until I asphyxiated
    • Respawned in cyclops, and so far, it appears as though I can now move without the game freezing!

So I'm going to play a bit and see how long this lasts... strange, but if this fixed whatever strange state I was in, I'll be happy!

Michael
  • liber440liber440 Join Date: 2018-04-15 Member: 240081Members
    edited April 2018
    latest graphic drivers installed (asus strix gtx 1060)
    latest sound drivers/firmware installed (corsair void usb rgb & corsair st100)
    integrity of steam files verified
    no overheating (all components below 40C)
    does not happen in any other game
    turned off scaling
    tried -window-mode exclusive
    cleared cache

output_log.txt
    pastebin.com/yxVdz8Pm

dxdiag.txt
    pastebin.com/2LA1BZxW
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited April 2018
    @liber440 Is the game refusing to run at all, or does it fail at a certain point? All those skeleton problems in the log make me think a reinstall would help. Make sure to restart pc before uninstalling. Also, there was one mention in the log of an "fmod" issue, which could point to a problem with an audio driver.
  • MithixMithix United States Join Date: 2018-04-19 Member: 240168Members
    Came here to make a post so I can submit a bug report. Seems strange that I have to do this before simply submitting a bug.
  • DrDanielCDrDanielC panama Join Date: 2018-04-22 Member: 240248Members
    edited April 2018
    Crash report
    Open the game... It takes about a minute and a half to load. Play normally for a minute or two. Crash.
    Redownloaded, Ran fresh save, Turned off antivirus, even reinstalled my whole windows and deleted all files.

Running a Republic Of Gamers ASUS Laptop. Specs above the minimum and recomended.

https://pastebin.com/3FRwqNtV
    https://pastebin.com/tgE4yqX5
  • DrDanielCDrDanielC panama Join Date: 2018-04-22 Member: 240248Members
  • RozaraRozara United States Join Date: 2018-04-20 Member: 240186Members
    edited April 2018
    Alright, I entered the jellyshroom cave with a Degasi seabase in it. I parked my Seamoth at 200m, went exploring with glider, etc. Got everything I needed, tried to leave. But every time I try to leave the cave the exact same entrance I came in, the game crashes. Video freezes, audio gets stuck on a loop, and I can't move. I've been able to move around the cave after loading just fine, but this one spot always makes me crash. Please help!

I really don't want to have to just drown myself in the caves and abandon my seamoth there T_T but I have tried verifying steam cache, force_opengl launch, neither helped. It happened in my other save file, too. I've got the latest update. My first game, I put about 17H into it. After the most recent update, every time I load up it freezes and crashes. Same thing happened with the new save file until I verified it, and I could at least move around. But now I can't leave the cave.

output_log.txt
    https://pastebin.com/0wJRttwY

DxDiag.txt
    https://pastebin.com/9ziJ7neu
  • death98death98 Mi Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240291Members
    I have had an issue with the moonpool when i get into the water and try to climb the ladder that leads into the moonpool it does not let me get into the moon pool instead it acts like i am jumping and the puts me back in the water and it has done this mulpitly times
  • InfusedInfused Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240292Members
    I am having trouble with the game ever since the most recent update. When I load my saved game or start a new one I hit TAB to open my tablet and it just has a bunch of blank tabs. I can not enter or exit structures on my saved game, and it wont let me save or quit the game. I have to force it shut by going back to the desktop and closing the window. On top of that Steam says its running even though it doesnt show up in my task manager after I force it shut.
  • Cerberus80Cerberus80 Australia Join Date: 2018-05-06 Member: 240559Members
    It loads till the main menu and freezes the hole computer I need to restart it no buttons will work.

I should say (not that it's your problem but in case it helps) that this exact same problem is happening to other games (All Steam) so I'm send messages like this to you all in hope of a response
    @Cerberus80 try disabling the steam overlay. You could also try installing steam again - don't uninstall, just download and install steam again.

It may be a good idea to check steam's troubleshooting or forums.
  • KeraKittyKeraKitty Columbus, OH Join Date: 2018-05-10 Member: 240634Members
    Since about 11:30 EST, the game has been crashing on launch. It had been working fine earlier this morning and the PC I'm using hasn't had any software or hardware modifications since then, nor has it rebooted. When I try to launch from Steam, the game title will have the word "Running" next to it for a couple seconds, after which the word will go away but no error message will be received. Launching directly from the EXE gives an immediate error message. I've tried using the -force-opengl launch command, disabling the Steam overlay, and opting in and out of beta with no change. Log and dxdiag pastebins are below.

CuJ8UuCD
    2DxYnw26
  • SlushySlushy Texas Join Date: 2018-05-19 Member: 240807Members
    Interesting, I will keep this in mind.
  • MazzyMazzy Australia Join Date: 2018-03-11 Member: 238890Members
    edited May 2018
    Hello I am having issues in the inactive lava zone in almost always the same area and a glitch occurs in my prawn suit when i try to re dock with my Cyclops, i am stuck in my prawn suit docked inside my cyclops and here my game has come to a standstill twice now. I am very new to the diagnostics side of things so any help or guidence would truly be appreciated. :)

Also every once in a while my screen will go black for a few seconds and i can still hear all the noises then the screen returns and i continue on with the game.

PS: Just in case
    Game Version 60026
    i7-6700K
    GTX 1070 G1 gigabyte geforce
    Samsung SSD 500gig
    32 gig ram.

If you need anymore info i can look at my PC invoice as it is itemized.

Thank you. :)

• FatFireFatFire Deutschland Join Date: 2018-05-26 Member: 240942Members
    I just bought the game on Steam, but it won't even start. I did everything as described in the troubleshooting guides.

For a second after starting the game a black screen pops up with the version information in the upper rightcorner: Mai 2018 - 60072 and "Laden..." in the lower left corner (I'm german).

DxDiag: pastebin.com/Bcp3iJic
    Output_log: pastebin.com/EJdLyfWY

I play early-access-titles very often and have no problems with bugs...but I had never the problem, that the game doesn't do anything.

And it really sucks, if I shall include pastebin-links with my bug report, but I'm not allowed to post links:

"You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links."

So please include the https-part by yourself.
  • FingolinFingolin Germany Join Date: 2018-05-26 Member: 240946Members
    Hi,
    having a similar Issue as FatFire. Just one difference:
    I bought the game some days ago (my PC then had a GTX1050 ) and it worked fine (despite the performance)

Now I upgraded my video card to an RX580 8GB and now the game wont start anymore.
    I reinstalled all the drivers etc. reinstalled the game, verified files etc etc

Would be glad if someone could help.
    pastebin.com/WSDCaB78 (output_log.txt)
    pastebin.com/uxRL94PT (systemSpecs)
    Hi Fingolin,

looks like an AMD-only-problem, eh?

I finally got it working with the startup-parameter: -force-opengl

Maybe you can give it a try too. The game looks good to me now.

Greetings
    FatFire
    Hi,
    so FatFires workaround worked, however the performance is not great at all.
    Is there any other way to make the game run properly?
    None that worked for me. I think we had to wait for a developer or some more experienced users for help.
    @Fingolin @FatFire
    Give this a try: -window-mode exclusive
    Unfortunately this changes nothing, same behaviour.
    But thanks for the attempt to help :-)
    edited May 2018
    Did not work for me either..
    @FatFire where did you get the hint that the game might work with openGL?
  • D0MD0M Join Date: 2018-05-26 Member: 240944Members
    edited May 2018
    Hi! Since the last tiny update to the game (May 24) I am not able to start it anymore. I have basically the same problem as FatFire mentioned before.
    For a second after starting the game a black screen pops up with the version information in the upper right corner: May 2018 - 60072
    Then the game crashes.

Here some general information:
    - Windows 10 (1803, build 17134.81) x86_64
    - AMD Radeon Adrenalin 18.5.1
    - Latest Steam Client
    - Subnautica Build number: 1494, 5/18/2018 8:08:28 PM

And the log files:
    - DxDiag
    - Output_log.txt
    - error.txt
    - crash.dmp
    FatFire wrote: »
    looks like an AMD-only-problem, eh?
    I finally got it working with the startup-parameter: -force-opengl
    The Problem is quiet sure an AMD Problem, since the error log says:
    atidxx64.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
      in module atidxx64.dll at 0033:2f02108c.

Error occurred at 2018-05-29_142722.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica.exe, run by D0M.
    19% memory in use.
    16078 MB physical memory [12995 MB free].
    16878 MB paging file [12510 MB free].
    134217728 MB user address space [134212518 MB free].
    Write to location 000001c0 caused an access violation.

narfblat wrote: »
    @Fingolin @FatFire
    Give this a try: -window-mode exclusive
    Both did not work for me. With '-force-opengl' I was able to start the game, but already in the main menu the performance was unbearable. '-window-mode exclusive' did not work at all.

I hope this problem will be fixes soon. Thanks in advance!
    I don't know if the performance would be that much better with D3D, because I haven't seen it before. But it runs fluently here, there are only some minor graphics glitches on board the cyclops (textures of walls are slightly flickering).

Have you turned the Steam-overlay off? Maybe that helps with performance, as long as this bug is exists.