Unable to open the game [FIXED]

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @0x6A7232 um......problem with that https://i.gyazo.com/ed3c76ede24f59de23914ddbcd0431c0.png any other way I can tell unity that there in fact is a screen?

@AkuMasterofMasters Try both with and without that custom opengl32.dll in the Subnautica folder.
  • HimmelsgottHimmelsgott USA Join Date: 2017-12-29 Member: 234682Members
    output_log.txt http s : // is . gd / hAkgbo
    dxdiag.txt http s : // is . gd / pVFvsf
    @nesrak1 I see a lot of
    RenderTexture.Create failed: width & height must be larger than 0

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @nesrak1 I see a lot of

Agreed @0x6A7232, I tried the registry edit stuff y'all suggested and makes the window appear, but it's probably about 900x900 and a black screen. Still hear menu music and such.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    It may be related to the windows fall update which occurred recently (my amd driver broke after this update too and had to download an update.) The error you showed when installing apparently means you are trying to install the wrong version of driver. Will check after I get back.
    @nesrak1 I see a lot of

What you're seeing is not a cause, it's an effect. Because unity wasn't able to grab the screen res, it defaulted to 0 0 which is not allowed here.
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    It may be related to the windows fall update which occurred recently (my amd driver broke after this update too and had to download an update.) The error you showed when installing apparently means you are trying to install the wrong version of driver. Will check after I get back.
    @nesrak1 I see a lot of

What you're seeing is not a cause, it's an effect. Because unity wasn't able to grab the screen res, it defaulted to 0 0 which is not allowed here.

I thought about the Windows updates as well and deleted the more recent ones before installing the newest NVIDIA drivers, to no avail.
    You'd have to roll back to a previous version of Windows (pre-Fall Update) to fix it if that was the case. Or find a fix (probably eventually new drivers will fix it?)
    Hey, you don't have anything like MSI Afterburner running, do you?

Just to be sure, go to your tray area and close everything out than can be closed (right-click > exit, or double-click to open, then file > exit etc).

If that works, you can then restart and try them one by one and see which one's causing issues.
    @Belgarel This guy can't run Subnautica any more, now I know he's got a crappy old Intel card, but it used to work, and the thing is, he's tried rolling back to previous versions of Subnautica that used to work fine with his setup, so that's not likely to be the cause (I think?). Anyways, can you see anything in his logs that we missed?
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    I have figured out a solution! All you need to do, is hook up a second screen
    edited January 2018
    I have figured out a solution! All you need to do, is hook up a second screen

Hmm. Sounds like it was trying to display on Display 2 when it wasn't hooked up. @Belgarel @Obraxis is this something that needs to be fixed? The game shouldn't attempt to display on a display that isn't plugged in. @nesrak1

There is another thread here with a bunch of people that might have the same problem (I *think*)
  • Dark1337Dark1337 East coast Join Date: 2018-01-19 Member: 235239Members
    ok so i have spent 3 days now working on this problem. if you have a nvidia card this is the solution. steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/

i dont know what you need to do for the integrated card but if you can get there program to help you find a similar setting for your card it might be useful. also its for any unity game and i only found the solution here in this steam thread. solution is in his second post.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    edited January 2018
    Dark1337 wrote: »
    ok so i have spent 3 days now working on this problem. if you have a nvidia card this is the solution. steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/

i dont know what you need to do for the integrated card but if you can get there program to help you find a similar setting for your card it might be useful. also its for any unity game and i only found the solution here in this steam thread. solution is in his second post.

I don't have nvidia, thanks though, I'll look at it
    edited January 2018
    For posterity, here's the OP and solution posts:
    <Solved> Unity games won't run on Windows 10 1709
    Short story:
    Games that use Unity do not work and give an error:
    "IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0"
    What is wrong? And how do I fix this?

Long story:
    A few days ago Windows 10 updated to version 1709. All seemed well until I wanted to play a game of Twilight Struggle. When I started it, there was an icon on the task bar and the title screen music, but no title screen. I "quickly" discovered that this happens with all games in my library that use Unity.

I thought the graphics driver might perhaps be at fault, so I upgraded to the newest version (Nvidia geforce 388.13 for a GTX 650). This changed nothing. I tried several driver versions (376.19, 382.05), but all had the same result.
    If I disable the driver, games start normally (albeit really slow). If I look at the outout_log.txt from a Unity based game, I see that the driver it reports is Microsoft Basic Render Driver.
    If I enable the driver, I see that it mentions NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650 in the output_log.txt. It also has the following exception in output_log.txt:
    "IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0"

I've tried all types of launch settings (dx 9, dx 11, etc.), I've tried with game bar and without, I've tried with overlays (steam's and geforce's) and without and none of it had any impact.
    Some games like Teslagrad give the same error in the output_log.txt, but also give a popup that says "Couldn't switch monitor resolution".

Does anyone know what might cause the IndexOutOfRangeException? And how to avoid it? Or what else I can try to troubleshoot this problem further?
    This post is just to document how I fixed this (Maybe it is of some use to someone):

After some more experimenting, I discovered that Dark Souls 3 didn't work properly either. It opened in a 800x450 windowless box in the top left corner of the desktop. Given that this had nothing to do with Unity, I was a bit perplexed. When I went to the options to change the resolution (within Dark Souls), I couldn't go windowed and the only resolution was 800x450.
    I went into GeForce Experience and from there I was able to launch DS3 windowed. In windowed mode, it had all kinds of resolutions it could switch to. As soon as you switched to full screen, only the 800x450 would be available.
    I went into Nvidia Control Panel. This is where I changed "Aspect ratio" to "No scaling" on the Adjust desktop size and position page (with "perform scaling on Display"). Suddenly everything was okay again. In DS3 I had options for resolutions. If I started up a Unity game with shift, the Select Monitor was no longer empty, but said "Display 1".
    I tried switching back to "Aspect ratio" to see if this would break things again. It did for some games (e.g. Hearthstone), but others kept working. I also tried "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" and that seem to work as well.

Now I have no idea why this works, but it did (for me).

TL;DR:
    Games that use Unity do not work and give an error:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

After some more experimenting, I discovered that Dark Souls 3 didn't work properly either. It opened in a 800x450 windowless box in the top left corner of the desktop. Given that this had nothing to do with Unity, I was a bit perplexed. When I went to the options to change the resolution (within Dark Souls), I couldn't go windowed and the only resolution was 800x450.
    I went into GeForce Experience and from there I was able to launch DS3 windowed. In windowed mode, it had all kinds of resolutions it could switch to. As soon as you switched to full screen, only the 800x450 would be available.
    I went into Nvidia Control Panel. This is where I changed "Aspect ratio" to "No scaling" on the Adjust desktop size and position page (with "perform scaling on Display"). Suddenly everything was okay again. In DS3 I had options for resolutions. If I started up a Unity game with shift, the Select Monitor was no longer empty, but said "Display 1".
    I tried switching back to "Aspect ratio" to see if this would break things again. It did for some games (e.g. Hearthstone), but others kept working. I also tried "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" and that seem to work as well.
  • Dark1337Dark1337 East coast Join Date: 2018-01-19 Member: 235239Members
    if you keep reading down i think some one talks about Intel integrated cards, i know some one talks about AMD so i think this is a unity thing across the board that happened in a fall windows 10 update.
    Ayy, I got the game to open without the use of a second monitor now, however without the second monitor it seems to graphically glitch out, and become very jagged, laggy, and generally just glitching out graphics. If I hook up the second screen again, it stabilizes
    Ayy, I got the game to open without the use of a second monitor now, however without the second monitor it seems to graphically glitch out, and become very jagged, laggy, and generally just glitching out graphics. If I hook up the second screen again, it stabilizes

How very odd. You don't by any chance have one monitor hooked up to the integrated onboard graphics and one hooked up to your dedicated video card, do you? If so try running just one off the dedicated graphics card and see if that fixes it.
    It also does this for Source games, which have similar graphical glitching, unless in windowed mode
  • GeneralZorroGeneralZorro Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236158Members
    Hi All, apologies for bringing this post back, but since I have a new account I cannot make a new post.
    Ever since 1.0 came out a few days ago I am unable to play the game because it will not open. Basically it launches, I can hear the game sound but the game remains "stuck" in the task bar as well. Was able to play before 1.0 was launched.
    My system specs are:
    Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.60GHZ
    8GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M
    Windows 10 Home

Unfortunately cannot paste a link to the text in my output_log.txt text because I have just set up my account, but please find below a few lines of it, maybe it helps:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeOSX' - Pass 'FLIP_RGBARECT_TO_RGBA' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeOSX' - Setting to default shader.
    <RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
    D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (0 x 0 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x80070057

(Filename: Line: 378)

<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 2.001805 ms
    FMOD Studio: Creating runtime system instance

(Filename: C:/Subnautica/plastic_workspace_unity/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: Line: 357)

Any ideas? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, have the opt out of betas and also verified integrity of game files, nothing worked.

Many thanks!
    Find the startup option for true full screen and use that
    This is what I meant:
    ElKameleon wrote: »
    add this to your steam launch parameters for the game: -window-mode exclusive

This will net you some extra frames by enabling "true" fullscreen support.

This is what I meant:
    ElKameleon wrote: »
    add this to your steam launch parameters for the game: -window-mode exclusive

This will net you some extra frames by enabling "true" fullscreen support.

Thank you, now it actually launches but the whole screen is black. If I move around the mouse, I can hear when it cycles through the different buttons.
  • NeilSteel2127NeilSteel2127 Saudi Arabia, Mekkah, Jeddah Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236281Members
    Hello, ya I am having the exact same problem as GeneralZorro and Aku and the other person. My problems are like theirs to every detail, and I've closely read every detail of this whole topic. I've even tried the launch option suggested to GeneralZorro and it ended with the same thing. I haven't tried a second monitor though, and I'm not sure if I can afford one at the time. Either way my specs are almost the exact same as GeneralZorro except I have higher Ram (16).

I thank you for any help you may give me ahead of time, sadly I forget to say thank you sometimes.
  • NeilSteel2127NeilSteel2127 Saudi Arabia, Mekkah, Jeddah Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236281Members
    Quick update, this problem has also started happening Getting Over It with Benit Foddy. I also failed to mention that when I do run the game (both) it does not only have the black screen but also the notification of "to access steam community" keeps poping up endlessly at the bottom right for some reason. I ill be going up to check one of the solutions that Aku had.
    edited January 2018
    Quick update, this problem has also started happening Getting Over It with Benit Foddy. I also failed to mention that when I do run the game (both) it does not only have the black screen but also the notification of "to access steam community" keeps poping up endlessly at the bottom right for some reason. I ill be going up to check one of the solutions that Aku had.

I had the same thing with getting over it, if you have any source engine games (pre-portal 2 source engine, ie, portal 1, half-life 2, and the half life 2 episodes) try playing those in full screen, let me know if the graphics glitch out
    Sorry Aku but I don’t have any of those games on pc. Surprisingly though, when I woke up I tested subnautica with the one “windows exclusive” launch option and this time it worked fine. The only problem is, after a good 3-4 seconds it starts lagging. I messed around with it and turns out that if I press left ALT + Enter it will put it into widowed mode and it would work fine (while messing around with it and found that it worked, I tried without the launch option. With the launch option it just lagged). I’m not sure how it fixed itself but I’m worried it had to do with a virus on my computer or something. Well either way, if anybody could figure out how to stop the lag while it’s in full screen I would greatly appreciate it. And by the way, I did change the graphics to low and even tried changing the resolution. It had no difference.
    edited January 2018
    Alright, @all here, if you've tried something and gotten a different result, please post a new \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt

Also... can someone with multiple monitors test running Subnautica on Monitor 1 and then Monitor 2 and let us know which registry setting has changed? Or can a dev tell us where that setting is stored so we can manually change it?

@Belgarel @Obraxis @nesrak1 Am I missing anything blatantly obvious?
    Hello, I'm back. So I could just leave this topic like a butt-hole, but I as a human being wish to make sure that if someone else runs across this topic, they can read this and learn a little more. So let me recap on my own situation. I tried to run this game yesterday but it wouldn't work, the icon would show up in the bottom of my computer (reminder, I have the same specs as GeneralZorrow except with the ram(16)) and clicking on the item would prove no help.

After this I went the steam community to see if someone solved this to no avail, until I passed by the trouble shooting thing for subnautica of which please do look at before you try to contact anyone. while shooting through it (Padum Tsss) and at the very end I found a link to this website. After i Found it I started to shoot through the one 0X6A7232 posted(can't provide links yet) and didn't find an answer. I continued to look through this website and found this forum, of which took me almost an hour to read yesterday.

I finished reading it and trying everything that happened getting the same result as Aku until the second monitor was introduced. from there I made an account to start talking about it and found that a new person has revived the chat, GeneralZorrow. I kept doing what he did for a while, and at one point I was introduced to the "-windows exclusive" launch option, of which caused my screen to go black except that whatever popped up would keep popping up endlessly, ex. the "to access the community" and then the rest of it is covered up by the one animated to slowly slide out of screen downwards. And BTW, this was happening at an exponentially fast rate. To me it looked like 60 would pop up by the time one went down. same thing if I pressed the left Shift + Tab, so yeah. from there my computer detected a "threat in the exe file that launches the game, and apparently it corrupted some other files on my PC. The name of this threat was "HEU_CDPLCEXT". From there I needed to go to sleep, so i left my computer up all night to do a full scan.

The next day I woke up and ran the game to test it, also the window I opened for the full scan had desperadoes, though it does that to save power. I ran the game with the "-windows exclusive" launch option and it worked, though it worked it lagged intensively on the monitor. I tried it without the launch code and it also worked but lagged. I turned the screen into windowed mode and the lag stopped. After that I had to leave to work then and didn't have enough time, so I left and shut down my PC. When I came back, the game was all the same. I started to mess around with it before I typed this and I turned this one option in the options on called "V sync". And so I burst out in celebration happy at the fact that I fixed it.

Now all I'm doing is helping the people who may one day read this and the ones here now. So listen, I still didn't try it with Getting Over It: with Bennet Foddy, so I'll do that later after I get a nap. Also can someone tell me how to send the game report file thing on this website. I just need a step by step walk through of how to do it, if anyone sends me a link to one that'd be fine. For GeneralZorrow, please send your game report file before you fix it so that people who understand it can figure out why it happened when comparing it with mine with "V sync" and without. Also, for Aku this is probably useful to know so your welcome if you did read through this painstakingly long comment.

Sorry for the pain anyone who's just trying to help and not looking for a solution. Please know that you are the reason human kind can advanced and are not stuck learning to make the wheel over and over.

P.S. when I typed this I did NOT have myself in mind.
    One of the solutions in the link below actually solved my problem. I had to change it from the Intel HD Graphics menu as it was not present at the Nvidia control panel. Just had to change the Panel Fit to Maintain Aspect Ratio.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/