Any chance of proper full screen? Framerate drops until I alt+tab

RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
edited January 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
So, I recently built a new gaming PC along with a gsync monitor. This monitor has a refresh rate overlay option I use to monitor if gsync is working.
Now, for gsync to function in Subnautica I have to enable gsync support for windowed applications, it doesn't work for full screen only. I've taken this to mean that Subnautica DOES NOT do proper full screen.
Is this a problem? Well it shouldn't be, but here is the problem I'm having:
Randomly while I'm playing the framerate will drop from a pretty steady 70-80fps (Ryzen 1700 + gtx1080) to around 20fps. While this happens, I'm watching the GPU usage (using Rivatuner and Afterburner) drop from the usual high 90% down to about 20%. This will continue until I alt+tab out of the game, then switch back. When I do this, the framerate immediately jumps back up to normal.
I'm almost certain this is linked to the fact Subnautica doesn't run in proper full screen but I could be wrong.
If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: fixed title

Comments

• ElKameleonElKameleon United States Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235465Members
    add this to your steam launch parameters for the game: -window-mode exclusive

This will net you some extra frames by enabling "true" fullscreen support.
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
    edited January 2018
    ElKameleon wrote: »

Damn, cheers man! Not only did that fix the FPS/GPU usage, I got 10-15 extra FPS and my gameplay is smoother overall!

Why on earth is exclusive fullscreen not the default state?! What a bizarre decision :neutral:
  • DreckarDreckar Redmond, WA Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235647Members

Thank you for sharing this tip :smile:
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    This situation is actually a side-effect of a bug in Unity 5.3, which made true fullscreen not work properly. As a result, UWE disabled it. Since UWE moved to Unity 5.6.x in Jul 2017, this should have been fixed. However, I suspect the 1.0 release crunch caused this option to just be lost in the mix.

Given that UWE has said they may do some enhancements post-1.0 (contingent on Subnautica popularity), I think it likely UWE will add this feature back in if there is enough interest.
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
    Racer1 wrote: »
    This situation is actually a side-effect of a bug in Unity 5.3, which made true fullscreen not work properly. As a result, UWE disabled it. Since UWE moved to Unity 5.6.x in Jul 2017, this should have been fixed. However, I suspect the 1.0 release crunch caused this option to just be lost in the mix.

Given that UWE has said they may do some enhancements post-1.0 (contingent on Subnautica popularity), I think it likely UWE will add this feature back in if there is enough interest.

Ah cool, didn't realise it was a technical issue. Hopefully it will get changed, the weird performance drops don't make a great first impression.
    Glad the game's running perfectly for me now though, thanks for your input guys :smile:
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I actually have the same issue on my gsync monitor but was to lazy (read busy) to go look for that variable. :D
    As a side note, i suspect SN is a bit more CPU heavy then some may assume.
    I shall come back to this in the future. :D
  • MrBlue7MrBlue7 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235930Members
    Hopefully this is fixed soon. I commonly have VLC playing something on my second monitor and the video gets really choppy as soon as I load up the game. It's *extremely* rare for this to happen - probably less than 1 in 100 games in my experience.
  • jdawg1351jdawg1351 Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187855Members
    Rien wrote: »

Damn, cheers man! Not only did that fix the FPS/GPU usage, I got 10-15 extra FPS and my gameplay is smoother overall!

Why on earth is exclusive fullscreen not the default state?! What a bizarre decision :neutral:

This actually seems to have killed my fps somehow. Could you please tell me what the command is to undo this?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Just remove the
    -window-mode exclusive

argument from Steam or Epic Games' Subnautica launch options.
  • jdawg1351jdawg1351 Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187855Members
    Ah, I didn't realize the command was still just sitting there. Thanks. Wow, I'm having fun checking out the first timer mods. AND your console hack saved by from slow dehydration death due to overfishing of the bladderfish. Glad to have found this forum.