Any chance of proper full screen? Framerate drops until I alt+tab

RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members Posts: 20 Advanced user
edited January 21 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
So, I recently built a new gaming PC along with a gsync monitor. This monitor has a refresh rate overlay option I use to monitor if gsync is working.
Now, for gsync to function in Subnautica I have to enable gsync support for windowed applications, it doesn't work for full screen only. I've taken this to mean that Subnautica DOES NOT do proper full screen.
Is this a problem? Well it shouldn't be, but here is the problem I'm having:
Randomly while I'm playing the framerate will drop from a pretty steady 70-80fps (Ryzen 1700 + gtx1080) to around 20fps. While this happens, I'm watching the GPU usage (using Rivatuner and Afterburner) drop from the usual high 90% down to about 20%. This will continue until I alt+tab out of the game, then switch back. When I do this, the framerate immediately jumps back up to normal.
I'm almost certain this is linked to the fact Subnautica doesn't run in proper full screen but I could be wrong.
If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: fixed title

Comments

• ElKameleonElKameleon United States Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235465Members Posts: 1 Fully active user
    add this to your steam launch parameters for the game: -window-mode exclusive

This will net you some extra frames by enabling "true" fullscreen support.
    0x6A7232RienDreckar
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members Posts: 20 Advanced user
    edited January 24
    ElKameleon wrote: »

Damn, cheers man! Not only did that fix the FPS/GPU usage, I got 10-15 extra FPS and my gameplay is smoother overall!

Why on earth is exclusive fullscreen not the default state?! What a bizarre decision :neutral:
    0x6A7232
  • DreckarDreckar Redmond, WA Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235647Members Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    ElKameleon wrote: »

Thank you for sharing this tip :smile:
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members Posts: 1,595 Advanced user
    This situation is actually a side-effect of a bug in Unity 5.3, which made true fullscreen not work properly. As a result, UWE disabled it. Since UWE moved to Unity 5.6.x in Jul 2017, this should have been fixed. However, I suspect the 1.0 release crunch caused this option to just be lost in the mix.

Given that UWE has said they may do some enhancements post-1.0 (contingent on Subnautica popularity), I think it likely UWE will add this feature back in if there is enough interest.
    Rien
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members Posts: 20 Advanced user
    Racer1 wrote: »
    This situation is actually a side-effect of a bug in Unity 5.3, which made true fullscreen not work properly. As a result, UWE disabled it. Since UWE moved to Unity 5.6.x in Jul 2017, this should have been fixed. However, I suspect the 1.0 release crunch caused this option to just be lost in the mix.

Given that UWE has said they may do some enhancements post-1.0 (contingent on Subnautica popularity), I think it likely UWE will add this feature back in if there is enough interest.

Ah cool, didn't realise it was a technical issue. Hopefully it will get changed, the weird performance drops don't make a great first impression.
    Glad the game's running perfectly for me now though, thanks for your input guys :smile:
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver Posts: 4,378 Advanced user
    I actually have the same issue on my gsync monitor but was to lazy (read busy) to go look for that variable. :D
    As a side note, i suspect SN is a bit more CPU heavy then some may assume.
    I shall come back to this in the future. :D
    NS2
    Old/resigned Dutch Translation Lead. Give feedback about the translation, or help improve by clicking: Current NS2 Dutch translation project. Dutch players apply!
    NS2 Server Maintenance Manual
    WorkshopBackup Manual (WSB Server)
    Ingame: DCDarkling
    'DCDs Steam Workshop', for your NS2 X-Hairs and Viewmodel Weapon mods
    Viewmodels are the ones you hold in your hand, not the one shown in the world!

Old NS2 Stuff:
    Marine Commander Guide NS2
    Alien Commander Guide NS2
    NS2 Mentor Program
    Old NS1 stuff:
    'Infested Pack v0.6' for models & props
    Darklings Guide to Commanding Version 1.001
  • MrBlue7MrBlue7 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235930Members Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    Hopefully this is fixed soon. I commonly have VLC playing something on my second monitor and the video gets really choppy as soon as I load up the game. It's *extremely* rare for this to happen - probably less than 1 in 100 games in my experience.