Unable to open the game [FIXED]

Comments

• AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    edited December 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Alright, alright. @AkuMasterofMasters -- please follow the guide below to get the previous version of Subnautica downloaded on your system to test if that works. If it doesn't, something on your system config or hardware (they do wear out) has changed.

I'm assuming you already tried everything we've suggested so far and also Obraxis' troubleshooting checklist? If so, then proceed: (might want to try latest experimental first tho, just to check)

I'll give it a try, however I do highly doubt that it will affect anything, as I have switched back to stable (I played on the same stable update before with no issue) and of course nothing.

Edit: sadly, it didn't work
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    So, it's definitely something with your hardware or software. Any Windows Updates go through? Driver Updates? Check your update history, see what's been installed. Try using DDU (program to remove all traces of graphics drivers for a clean driver install) and installing the latest drivers from Intel's website. Try installing a previous driver from Intel (hopefully Intel keeps a few older versions).

Also, you can check the Windows Event Viewer (Windows key + R
    eventvwr.msc

or just search 'Event Viewer' in Start). There's different subsets of Windows logs as well as Applications logs. Finding what's going on will take some digging, though.

If all else fails, you could reset your system (refresh aka reset Windows). Sometimes it's the only way to be sure (but if it's a hardware problem, it won't help, and if it's drivers, it probably won't help as Windows will just update back to the driver that caused the problem).
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    DarthOmnis wrote: »
    I've already said, its not my specs that are the issue,

Obraxis wrote: »
    Your system is below our minimum requirement in CPU & GPU by a very long way on both.

It CAN run the game it CAN, for the last time, ITS NOT MY SPECS

My nearly eight-year old Dell Inspiron desktop with a 2.2 GHz dual-core processor and 4GB of memory ALSO could run Subnautica 18 months ago, and quite well I might add. But over time since then as the game's engine was changed and new options/coding were added to the game, the performance of the game slowly got worse and at times would crash for no reason, despite having perfect performance months before. The more recent Experimental... experimental optimizations helped greatly improve performance, but once again performance slowed down considerably and the game once again ran haltingly - to the point I couldn't really make any meaningful progress anymore.

Now come October 2017, I replaced my tower with an optimized gaming system: it's an Asus desktop that I bought from a friend; it's a couple years old but it has a 3.2GHz Intel i7 processor with 12GB of memory... and guess what? The game runs beautifully now once more! In fact with the increased system power, I carried over my older nVidia 650ti graphics card to the new tower and I can run the video on Maximum settings and the game doesn't stutter at all now (whereas on my older tower, Maximum looked great but I could kiss my FPS goodbye lol).

Don't take these criticisms to heart, no one is trying to belittle your tower or your performance hiccups. But the facts are facts: although your system specs worked fine in the past, it won't magically hold over as time passes. Subnautica is still a game being actively developed, and as such your experiences playing the game are likely to change. Just ask the Subnautica players from the Xbox One forums - that console now is the same console from over a year ago, nothing has changed hardware-wise. But in the last several months, there have been multiple issues with people playing the game just because of updates and changes to the game's engine... and so many XB1 players can't run the game anymore. And although the XB1 version will ultimately work properly soon, you're still playing Subnautica on a computer that is not designed to run it! The Steam Store page states this, other forum members have stated this, and @Obraxis the game's lead developer has stated your system is just not adequate to run Subnautica anymore. :(

You'll just have to do like I did; suck it up and ultimately replace your system with a newer/better/stronger gaming tower. But, you don't need to get anything superpowered or special for Subnautica - just do like I did, find a reasonably great but older gaming system someone else built and buy it on the cheap. Again no one's making fun of you and your gaming rig, but apples to apples you simply can't ignore the facts - even if you don't like them or agree with them. :(
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    DarthOmnis wrote: »
    I've already said, its not my specs that are the issue,

Obraxis wrote: »
    Your system is below our minimum requirement in CPU & GPU by a very long way on both.

It CAN run the game it CAN, for the last time, ITS NOT MY SPECS

My nearly eight-year old Dell Inspiron desktop with a 2.2 GHz dual-core processor and 4GB of memory ALSO could run Subnautica 18 months ago, and quite well I might add. But over time since then as the game's engine was changed and new options/coding were added to the game, the performance of the game slowly got worse and at times would crash for no reason, despite having perfect performance months before. The more recent Experimental... experimental optimizations helped greatly improve performance, but once again performance slowed down considerably and the game once again ran haltingly - to the point I couldn't really make any meaningful progress anymore.

Now come October 2017, I replaced my tower with an optimized gaming system: it's an Asus desktop that I bought from a friend; it's a couple years old but it has a 3.2GHz Intel i7 processor with 12GB of memory... and guess what? The game runs beautifully now once more! In fact with the increased system power, I carried over my older nVidia 650ti graphics card to the new tower and I can run the video on Maximum settings and the game doesn't stutter at all now (whereas on my older tower, Maximum looked great but I could kiss my FPS goodbye lol).

Don't take these criticisms to heart, no one is trying to belittle your tower or your performance hiccups. But the facts are facts: although your system specs worked fine in the past, it won't magically hold over as time passes. Subnautica is still a game being actively developed, and as such your experiences playing the game are likely to change. Just ask the Subnautica players from the Xbox One forums - that console now is the same console from over a year ago, nothing has changed hardware-wise. But in the last several months, there have been multiple issues with people playing the game just because of updates and changes to the game's engine... and so many XB1 players can't run the game anymore. And although the XB1 version will ultimately work properly soon, you're still playing Subnautica on a computer that is not designed to run it! The Steam Store page states this, other forum members have stated this, and @Obraxis the game's lead developer has stated your system is just not adequate to run Subnautica anymore. :(

You'll just have to do like I did; suck it up and ultimately replace your system with a newer/better/stronger gaming tower. But, you don't need to get anything superpowered or special for Subnautica - just do like I did, find a reasonably great but older gaming system someone else built and buy it on the cheap. Again no one's making fun of you and your gaming rig, but apples to apples you simply can't ignore the facts - even if you don't like them or agree with them. :(

I said it before and I'll say it again, it's NOT my specs that are the issue, if it were, I wouldn't have been able to play the most recent updates, which I can, as I played the eye candy update on stable, then switching back to stable now does nothing, even though its the same updates, my problem is not that the game can't launch or play, its that it doesn't display correctly. I can run the game, this is certain, its just not displaying correctly on launch, getting stuck in the task bar and refusing to allow me to change the resolution or anything.
    @AkuMasterofMasters You could be running into the removal of the old DX9 rendering pipeline? Obraxis just stated above that they removed DX9 and had the game default to OpenGL for cards that aren't up to spec for DX11. Now, here's the thing: Intel GPUs are notoriously horribad for playing on OpenGL, especially the older cards, so that could be your problem in a nutshell, if the game is now attempting to run in OpenGL mode.

Try
    -force-d3d11

But that doesn't make any sense, if you've tried installing older versions and it still won't work. (Try installing Voice of the Deep, you had no problems then, right? if so, and it won't run, then you know it's system hardware / software)
    @AkuMasterofMasters You could be running into the removal of the old DX9 rendering pipeline? Obraxis just stated above that they removed DX9 and had the game default to OpenGL for cards that aren't up to spec for DX11. Now, here's the thing: Intel GPUs are notoriously horribad for playing on OpenGL, especially the older cards, so that could be your problem in a nutshell, if the game is now attempting to run in OpenGL mode.

Try
    -force-d3d11

But that doesn't make any sense, if you've tried installing older versions and it still won't work. (Try installing Voice of the Deep, you had no problems then, right? if so, and it won't run, then you know it's system hardware / software)

so where do I put -force-d3d11?
    Also not sure if it will help at all, but it looks like this when I hover my mouse over the game in the task bar
    https://i.gyazo.com/618bffd7944bd55c8796c5d86ee15f31.png
    Also not sure if it will help at all, but it looks like this when I hover my mouse over the game in the task bar

In the launch options in Steam.

Also, you tried this fix?

ebe39293e6677935a5fc00f0c716881c.gif
    edited December 2017

In the launch options in Steam.

Also, you tried this fix?

ebe39293e6677935a5fc00f0c716881c.gif

Yes I have tried that, didn't work, also putting that in the launch options in steam didn't work either
    And you're positive that you tried going back to an older version that DID work before, and that older version DOESN'T work now?
    And you're positive that you tried going back to an older version that DID work before, and that older version DOESN'T work now?

Exactly, they don't work now.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff

Do keep in mind that there are sometimes unnamed updates, so make sure to go back a full major update or so, to "Voice of the Deep" as 0x6A7232 recommended.
    narfblat wrote: »

Do keep in mind that there are sometimes unnamed updates, so make sure to go back a full major update or so, to "Voice of the Deep" as 0x6A7232 recommended.

I literally just said I tried that.....did you perhaps not understand what "they don't work now" means?
    Try running
    devmgmt.msc

and then expand "Display adapters" and right-click > Properties, then, in the "Driver" tab, see if you can "Roll Back Driver"
    https://i.gyazo.com/5adf4533303e840c116390d392173764.png
    its just grayed out (even when logged in as administrator)
    edited December 2017
    Ay-yay-yay!

OK, do:
    Win + X, then press A
    put in
    chkdsk c: /f

Probably need to restart, if so type 'Y' and enter, then put
    shutdown -r -t 00

to restart
    a
    Then, if you had to restart, after logging in, do Win + X, then press A again, if not then just continue:
    put in
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After that finishes, put in
    sfc /scannow

Then restart
    shutdown -r -t 00

Basically, chkdsk makes sure your filesystem is clean and without errors (which might interfere with what follows), dism makes sure your backup copies are not damaged, and sfc makes sure your Windows copies are not tampered with (and if they are, uses the backup copes to fix them).

Fun, useful note: if you add -f to the shutdown string, it forces an immediate (kill all lingering processes in the way instead of waiting for them) shutdown or restart (replace -r with -s for a shutdown instead of restart) So,
    shutdown -f -r -t 00

or
    shutdown -f -s -t 00

Of course if something isn't saved and doesn't have an autosave feature, you'll lose your work as any lingering program will be terminated immediately.
    Didn't seem to work either, however I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not.
    Did any of the commands spit an error message instead of taking a few minutes to finish?
    Yeah, the first one did
    Ackpth

Missed a space, here's the right command (also edited the above post):
    chkdsk c: /f

edited December 2017
    Here. Download & open this. Go to
    \2015_03\Windows\Hardware accelerated (GPU)\Windows XP-VISTA-7-8

and copy the opengl32.dll file to your
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\

folder. Does that change anything? If it's still not working, can you re-post an output_log.txt file from the attempt?
    Thx, Ill try it when I get home
    edited December 2017
    @0x6A7232 Ofc it didn't work, I got the output log from it, https://pastebin.com/P9aQfMys
    I also noticed this at the bottom of it
    GLContext: failed to activate 10001: Unknown error [-1073278755]

@nesrak1 Do you see anything up there that would further indicate what's going on? That .dll is an OpenGL > DX9 wrapper (since older Intel cards basically blow chunks when asked to do OpenGL)

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited December 2017
    edit: I don't have nvidia, nor do I know how to access a control panel that can allow me to do that
    Did you read the whole thing?

kwxurnndjvt8.png
    The error is that unity isn't detecting any screens. Because the unity engine uses the same method in all games, try opening another unity game to see if it launches.
    Yeah, tried another unity game, did the same thing, so where exactly do I need to go to fix that?
    If you don't have an Intel Control Panel, try downloading the latest official drivers from Intel, which should include that (yours is the one at the top, for Windows 10):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/97499/Graphics-for-3rd-Generation-Intel-Processors
    @0x6A7232 um......problem with that https://i.gyazo.com/ed3c76ede24f59de23914ddbcd0431c0.png any other way I can tell unity that there in fact is a screen?
  • HimmelsgottHimmelsgott USA Join Date: 2017-12-29 Member: 234682Members
    edited December 2017
    Good afternoon everyone,

I am having the same issues as Aku with some more capable hardware, it also appears that my issues are Unity related as Cities: Skylines has the same issue. I've attempted all of the advice from the rest of this thread to no avail. I appreciate the time @0x6A7232 has put forward to helping Aku out, even with Aku being abrasive. Understandably this is quite frustrating. I've been searching for two days now and this is the first post I've seen with this issue. Happened to me since the Eye Candy update, not that it's relevant with the Unity based issues.

output_log.txt (Can't post links...)

Big bits:
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeOSX' - Pass 'FLIP_RGBARECT_TO_RGBA' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeOSX' - Setting to default shader.
    <RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
    D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (0 x 0 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x80070057

(Filename: Line: 378)
    RenderTexture.Create failed: width & height must be larger than 0

(Filename: Line: 357)

Dimensions of color surface does not match dimensions of depth surface

(Filename: Line: 2081)

dxdiag.txt

Big bits:

System Information
    Time of this report: 12/29/2017, 13:06:09
    Machine name: C-3PO
    Machine Id: {436B0144-EF79-4642-A916-B1A5430D965C}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: LENOVO
    System Model: 20349
    BIOS: 9ECN33WW(V1.16)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16296MB RAM
    Page File: 4702MB used, 13513MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

--break--

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 860M
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Render-Only Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1392&SUBSYS_397817AA&REV_A2
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 10168 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 2019 MB
    Shared Memory: 8148 MB

--break--

Diagnostics

Windows Error Reporting:
    +++ WER0 +++:
    Fault bucket 1919255051125570592, type 4
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Subnautica.exe
    P2: 5.6.2.0
    P3: 5a21b49e
    P4: Subnautica.exe
    P5: 5.6.2.0
    P6: 5a21b49e
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 00000000010b4cf4
    P9:
    P10:

4x more
    @Himmelsgott Just put it like this: http : / / is . gd / link

(you can use is.gd to create short links that will be a little bit easier to input in the above method))

Then we can copy-paste to the URL bar, and remove the spaces.