'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    Wow did not know sperm could last that long while frozen
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I never said it wasn't possible, I said it wasn't probable that he would just happen to have saved a sperm sample for no apparent reason. You provided a somewhat half-arsed after the fact explanation if you ask me.

Oh, but wait, saying that the almighty bugzappers story isn't the greatest work of fiction in the entire history of humanity, one that shall never be surpasses except perhaps by the great bugzapper himself is heresy!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited June 2017
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I never said it wasn't possible, I said it wasn't probable that he would just happen to have saved a sperm sample for no apparent reason. You provided a somewhat half-arsed after the fact explanation if you ask me.

Oh, but wait, saying that the almighty bugzappers story isn't the greatest work of fiction in the entire history of humanity, one that shall never be surpasses except perhaps by the great bugzapper himself is heresy!

Doors ▲ that way and to the right if it's not your cup 'o tea? I don't think that ▲ qualifies as constructive criticism, IMHO (although Bugzapper can of course feel free to disagree with me here).

I suppose I should say, I'm not saying I find your disagreement itself disagreeable, just the general attitude that comes with it. "Read it and weep" isn't exactly a harsh rebuttal, but yours to that, was.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I suppose I should say, I'm not saying I find your disagreement itself disagreeable, just the general attitude that comes with it. "Read it and weep" isn't exactly a harsh rebuttal, but yours to that, was.

It's more about the number of times that any even slightly critical response has been put down not just by bugzapper, but by others as well. Just look at the number of "disagrees" that anything at all critical has collected between his two stories.

It's more about the number of times that any even slightly critical response has been put down not just by bugzapper, but by others as well. Just look at the number of "disagrees" that anything at all critical has collected between his two stories.

While there is some over-zealous protectionism from fans, that doesn't excuse the above. Try reading the first story, I think you'll find the over-protection and harsh responses are a result of overly harsh criticism from certain users (which doesn't make any sense at all, from either party, other than stupid Internet wars because people can't find better things to do with themselves than get angry over the webz with people they know next to nothing about).

A little benefit of the doubt on both sides would do a world of good, but that's not very likely. We can, however, change the little thread in the corner of the tapestry that we individually control. Sorry if that's overly dramatic, but it's true. If all else fails, remember "if you can't say anything good (and constructive criticism in a positive tone is definitely good), don't say anything at all".
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members

It could be that you positively revel in nit-picking for its own sake, Sport.

Wherever I've goofed, I've taken pains to correct the error.
    On the whole, you've made this creative exercise as enjoyable as pile surgery. You might want to pull your head in a little.
    Buggzapper, you, sir, have got yourself a god complex. It's hardly your fault, with half the people on the forums telling you that your the best writer in the universe, but you might want to take a look at your attitude towards criticism, or even just humor. I would ask everyone to take a look at what transpired on page 20 of the "aurora falls" thread to see a prime example.

I may have been over the top, but it's been a long time coming.
    Buggzapper, you, sir, have got yourself a god complex. It's hardly your fault, with half the people on the forums telling you that your the best writer in the universe, but you might want to take a look at your attitude towards criticism, or even just humor. I would ask everyone to take a look at what transpired on page 20 of the "aurora falls" thread to see a prime example.

I may have been over the top, but it's been a long time coming.

Nope. Can't see any evidence of impending godhood, or even a publisher's advance cheque yet.

Actually, I think the example you've cited demonstrates how long you've been needlessly sniping away at me, just for the hell of it.

Do grow up, laddie.
    edited June 2017
    Page 20 makes for a lot better reading if you assume the best for both sides, even when they disagree with each other. Some people are a bit more brusque than others, and don't mean ill by it. And then there's a bit of a line that seems to have been crossed, leaving the reader to scan back up through previous comments wondering what on earth just went wrong. (Yes that's pretty much what happened to me the first time, as well as the second time just now reading through that). Always assume better intentions when you don't have the benefit of non-verbal cues that make up a good portion of judging the other person's intent in communication; the worst that can happen is you'll be proven wrong and take it from there. If you assume the worst, well, you will quickly be proven right, every single time, no matter which side of an argument you find yourself on.

What I'm trying to say is, disagreements online when the only thing you have to go on is written words turn bad extremely quickly, for the stupidest of misunderstandings, if a high level of care isn't taken (as well as not taking anything personally; again, you can't tell if someone is expressing an attitude "in general" or at you specifically unless they are quite concise with the words they use).

EDIT: TL;DR: I don't think either Bugzapper or sayerulz meant ill to the other until there was a misunderstanding on one or the other side, which slowly progressed as the misunderstanding went uncorrected. Who fired shots first doesn't really matter. And fixing this wouldn't require too much except setting aside grievances in the hope that the other side does the same. If it works, hooray! If not, well, you didn't really lose anything, did you? Sometimes people are actually as bad as they seem, whether they have an underlying reason (life can suck sometimes, believe me I know) or not (people can suck sometimes too, if they so choose).
    I think that we simply need to reach an understanding, that being that if someone pushes me, I snap back. Hard.

I make comments with no ill intent at first. If they are responded too in a snarky manner, I either push back or I let it slide... but only temporarily. I can't let anything go easily. It's not how I work. I tally up every offense made, and so while to others it might seem as though my response is out of proportion, in my eyes, they are very reasonable given a long series of slights committed against me that the other person may well have forgotten about entirely. I don't forget.
    @sayerulz Ah. That explains everything. You're a sociopath.

If I've written something that offends your way of thinking, you will make your displeasure known in your usual manner. Sarcastic, entitled and obnoxious.

If I dare to respond in any way less than grovelling in abject submission, you get all ate up and play the victim card. Got it.

Get this straight: Your opinion and five bucks will get you a cappuccino.
    See that? That is not being mature. That is not being the bigger man. That is a refusal to deescalate, and hypocrisy on a truly staggering scale. You aren't even trying to create a coherent response that reflects the reality of the situation.

All I asked is that you refrain from replying to anything I post with sarcasm and snark, or indeed at all if that is too difficult, as I post it more for the benefit of readers that yourself, which as I said I do not intend to offend with, and you respond with nothing more that some rather pitiful insults and a condescending tone that can be described as little more than you saying "I'm better than you".

There are words that can hurt me, but you don't have them. I won't stoop to your level. I know nothing about you, your life, your world beyond this forum. There are probably things you can do that I can't. There are probably things I can do that you cant. I don't know. But I do know what you've done here, now, and I doubt that anyone is impressed with your actions.
  • BranjomanBranjoman Join Date: 2016-09-28 Member: 222682Members
    That is not being mature. That is not being the bigger man. That is a refusal to deescalate, and hypocrisy on a truly staggering scale.
    And what stops you from deescalating the situation? If anything, it should be your responsibility to do that, given that it is you that is the main cause for the toxicity here. Sure, Bugzappers' somewhat sharp-tongued wording may have added fuel to the fire, but in the end that doesn't change the fact that you should be striving to fix the issues as much as Bugzapper.

• KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    edited June 2017
    I think that we simply need to reach an understanding, that being that if someone pushes me, I snap back. Hard.

I make comments with no ill intent at first. If they are responded too in a snarky manner, I either push back or I let it slide... but only temporarily. I can't let anything go easily. It's not how I work. I tally up every offense made, and so while to others it might seem as though my response is out of proportion, in my eyes, they are very reasonable given a long series of slights committed against me that the other person may well have forgotten about entirely. I don't forget.

Wow that is...next level petty. And mentally worrying. I mean no offence when I say you may actually wish to speak with a trained mental professional about that, because it's extremely bad for you to get caught up on small things like that.

Also commenting on bugzappers threads and not expecting snarky remarks in some way or another is kinda of like complaining the sea is wet. Bugs is snarky, it just how he talks to people in general. Why you'd comment and then take that personally links into the above.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

I know several people like this. Without exception, none of them are what anyone would call "happy." You know what's really fun, though? Being a passenger in one of their cars. There's nothing like several consecutive near-death experiences at varying speeds to really pound home the value of calm acceptance and letting things go.
    Kellise wrote: »

Wow that is...next level petty. And mentally worrying. I mean no offence when I say you may actually wish to speak with a trained mental professional about that, because it's extremely bad for you to get caught up on small things like that.

Also commenting on bugzappers threads and not expecting snarky remarks in some way or another is kinda of like complaining the sea is wet. Bugs is snarky, it just how he talks to people in general. Why you'd comment and then take that personally links into the above.

I think I can live without your totally unqualified psyco-analysis. I also find your double standard hilarious.

- I post something non-snarky -> Buggzapper takes offense -> bugzapper replies with sarcasm and condescension = perfectly OK.

- Buggzapper post something snarky -> I respond in kind = I am petty and have mental issues.
    Branjoman wrote: »
    That is not being mature. That is not being the bigger man. That is a refusal to deescalate, and hypocrisy on a truly staggering scale.
    And what stops you from deescalating the situation? If anything, it should be your responsibility to do that, given that it is you that is the main cause for the toxicity here. Sure, Bugzappers' somewhat sharp-tongued wording may have added fuel to the fire, but in the end that doesn't change the fact that you should be striving to fix the issues as much as Bugzapper.

What the hell do you think I just did?
  • Chris_the_mageChris_the_mage Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231383Members
    I'm sorry that my first post had to be that but i had to create an account and end it there. On another note DUDE your story is fabulous I found it whilst i was REALLY into subnautica and borealis was only starting I immediately went back and read aurora falls and found myself hopelessly in love of the story, Iv'e been here ever since endlessly refreshing the page hoping for more
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    Bye sunbeam. I saw you get destroyed in the game and I'm honestly surprised when the gun shot the aurora the ship didn't get absolutely and completely butt-fucked I mean the ship still went down and crashed hard enough to create the crag field but still it should've been completely annihilated
    Foxy wrote: »

I snap back harder, trust me.

All I've seen in these last few pages, @sayerulz is constant and unnecessary comments from yourself either criticising the content of this story or criticising people who ask you to stop. Whilst it's true that anything posted on a forum like this is likely to attract all sorts of comments, it is not reasonable to expect Bugzapper to have their thread filled with the rantings of other people.

Take my advice and stop it now.

Thanks.

He's right. I speak from experience
    "Transition to VTOL flight mode is complete. Lining up for final approach now, Sir."

"Looking good, JUNO. Bring her in on the deck. How's Sky Watcher travelling right now, DIGBY?"

"No response, Sir. No apparent activity in the weapon facility. Energy emissions are minimal."

"Just the way we want it." I said, cracking a relieved smile. "Looks like we're in the clear, folks."

Sunbeam touched down without incident. As the crew busied themselves loading cargo and refuelling the shuttle, I contacted Captain Halvorsen with the good news. It turned out I wasn't the only one chewing his nails during Sunbeam's approach, figuratively at least. After all, there is a great deal riding on this trip's success. Five hundred litres of deuterium will not be enough fuel to keep Carl Sagan running for long, and the ship certainly won't make it back to the phase gate station at Omicron Leonis on that amount. In reality, it's only a token contribution to the Carl Sagan's actual needs; a little something we've thrown in to make Sunbeam's journey somewhat more worthwhile.

However, now that we've established that it is possible to land on Manannán (and presumably lift off again), Halvorsen will be able to dispatch his tankers on a regular schedule. It might be worth designating an area relatively devoid of sea life to make those seawater harvesting runs a bit more eco-friendly. Purely as a neighbourly gesture, of course. I'll do a detailed recon of the area surrounding Skull Island, just as soon as Sunbeam is safely underway once more.

After wrapping things up with Halvorsen, I made my way down to the pad to lend an extra pair of hands. My mood has lightened considerably since the Carl Sagan's arrival, and it's only fair that I share the wealth. Pay some of that good feeling back down the line, so to speak. To this end, I'm sending back some choice party-starters along with the E-42 derms and deuterium. Five hundred litres of IANTO's 'Y Ddraig Goch' - A vastly improved version of our Creepvine beer, a crate of assorted genuine French fizzies, plus a selection of home-cooked delicacies from our Iron Chef DIGBY. Since Halvorsen sounded particularly wistful when he mentioned pâte de foie gras, there's a couple of kilos of our smoked Peeper pâte thrown in for good measure. If their food is anything like some of the 'Chef's specials' we were served aboard Aurora, I'll wager they're all heartily sick of Cottage Pie and Tardigrade velouté by now.

We still have some time before accommodating Carl Sagan's shore-leave rotations becomes an issue. Even so, it's probably a good idea to start thinking about how we're going to work this. There's a bit of a social dilemma brewing here. Should there be an additional common area shared by the colonists and visitors, or should I keep both groups separate for the duration of their stay? I'm inclined to say that most of the colonists would be content staying with their own, although some of the younger colonists might prefer to mingle with the visitors. This is where it all becomes rather complicated.

Belters are essentially a tough-minded bunch of Reubens. Consequently, their attitude to personal relationships is astonishingly casual. If we throw a parcel of fresh young Alterra faces into the mix, add a few nippies of the strong stuff... Well, there's bound to be trouble. When a Belter man or woman spontaneously decides that they desire your company for the night, you'd be well advised to choose your next words very carefully. 'No.' is a perfectly reasonable reply, provided you're not playing head-games with them. Belters tend to interpret things quite literally. If you're already 'otherwise involved' and angling to change your luck, you had best hope your significant other is a particularly forgiving sort.

Gorram it. I'll talk this shore leave business over with Captain Halvorsen.
  • Chris_the_mageChris_the_mage Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231383Members
    Bugzapper could i please have a couple questions
    1. You have just said that their first mission after they get back will be legendary, will we get to see it?
    2. Do you think the devs are just waiting till the story is over to give you several pats on the back and negotiate publishing this master piece ?
    3. Patreon?
    4. Would you consider giving out some writing advice for someone that doesn't seem to be able to get past the first couple pages of their story?