The Epic Trello Thread

Comments

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017
    pie1055 wrote: »
    The expansion should put you in control of a reaper swimming in an ocean that keeps getting pelted by these weird metal pods that have the most tasty treats inside.

These things hurt when they come down, but I still love 'em. Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside! :tongue:
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    One request though, can the current Lead Ore model be replaced, even if it's a recoloring of something else? The large Lead Deposit in the Grand Reef looks great, but I doubt that Lead Ore in real life is found in perfectly-formed spheres. :/

I second that; Tark's right - it isn't. Lead ore is galena, a cubic hexoctahedral crystal:
    Calcite-Galena-elm56c.jpg

The new models on the card look bloody awesome, though! Can't wait to get them in-game. :grin: And the new UI for the level indicators is gorgeous - major kudos to whomever envisioned that!
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    We got it as the precursor wall motif though!
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    kJG wrote: »
    Im actually sad that they didnt involve bismuth in some form, for advanced electronics or something like that. It looks so nice
    fdqroZ6.jpg

@KjG, I actually have a sample of lab-grown bismuth on my desk. :) Love those crystals and the coloration.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    @scifiwriterguy @kJG You guys should check out the Game Theorist episode Zelda Rupees are REAL!, which discusses what Rupees are likely made of and proposes what their actual value would be. It's one of my top favorite GT videos by MatPat, and it's also a collaboration with PeanutButterGamer! :love: Also who knew that corundum would be so fascinating to learn about? :blush:
    @scifiwriterguy @kJG You guys should check out the Game Theorist episode Zelda Rupees are REAL!, which discusses what Rupees are likely made of and proposes what their actual value would be. It's one of my top favorite GT videos by MatPat, and it's also a collaboration with PeanutButterGamer! :love: Also who knew that corundum would be so fascinating to learn about? :blush:

Great video; thanks for sharing! :grin: To be honest, I never thought it was a typo; the monetary unit in India is the rupee, so I figured either it was a dead lift from that, or someone didn't realize they'd invented a word that already existed. That aside, I admit that I never gave the humble Zelda rupee much thought; in hindsight, corundum is a perfect candidate to be the gemstone used in-game. I do think he's way off track with his pleochroism argument; the "high"-res gems aren't showing pleochroism - it's just a really crappy shader. ;)

One thing I wish they'd mentioned - and something I always loved blowing my students' minds with - is that high-quality rubies and emeralds are actually more valuable on a carat-by-carat basis than perfect-quality diamond.

It all comes down to rarity. Perfect, gemstone-quality diamond isn't too uncommon as such stones go. But since rubies and emeralds are, as they pointed out, only the way they are because of impurities, the incidence of inclusions (where a foreign material is trapped inside the stone) or flaws (many types of flaws, including internal fracture, coloration inconsistencies, clouds, grain, and much more) is far, far higher. As a result, finding a perfectly clean ruby or emerald is much more difficult than finding a perfectly clean diamond. And the larger the stone, the less likely it gets. An excellent example is the Stuart Sapphire, found on the Imperial State Crown of Queen Victoria. It's a 104 carat blue sapphire, oval cut, and expertly faceted. Despite having a couple minor blemishes, it's an incredibly rare stone. The only reason it's no longer front-and-center on the crown is because it was moved to the back to make way for the Cullinan II, the second-largest cut clear diamond in the world. It's worth noting, though, that the Cullinan II, at 317.4 carats, is more than triple the size of the Stuart Sapphire. That's what it takes to unseat a perfect (or nearly so) sapphire. Emeralds are even more valuable; between two large but identically-sized and cut stones, one emerald, one diamond, and assuming no flaws in either one, the emerald can command a price over a thousand times higher than the diamond. Emerald chips are so relatively inexpensive because tiny amounts of perfect emerald aren't nearly as hard to come by.

(An aside, if you like unique stones: An engagement ring I once designed had for a center stone an oval mixed-cut Brazilian alexandrite. It's an amazing stone, which I encourage anyone with an interest to look up. Not only is it strongly pleochroic, so it'll dramatically change color depending on viewing angle, it also presents different colors under different forms of light. Fantastic stuff, but really expensive. Its shoulder stones were a matched set of IIb diamonds with a strong nitrogen doping, so they threw this awesome grey-violet cast under the right light.)
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    Coranth wrote: »

Looks like the rocket to me. Could it be that you only can launch one from the rocket while starting or something? I beleive I remember something about everyone only being able to launch a single one per game
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    It's not the Rocket. The Time Capsule is something fellow Subnautica Players can build in order to leave messages in other players' games somehow.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aOIfICMAASRjjO5g0_NTDkUi5qw5ssT1tBqctbK-6Do/edit#
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    I meant that the time capsul terminal is within the rocket. The location looks nothing like a base or the cyclops
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I wish it could allow us to share saved games (without CompiledOctreesCache / terrain or Cells Cache / resources used count, obviously).
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Curious about that mention of an expansion. I'm not expecting major gameplay changes, but biomes and stuff. What if they aim to make the game wider later on? So you can swim past the Dunes and into an abyssal plain of near-total darkness that extends to over a thousand meters. I'd kill for (not really) "Surface" biomes that can reach Lost River / ILZ depths. I'd also kill (again, not really) for surface-level access to those biomes but hey. One reason why I adored the thought of a Mushroom Forest / Northeast Mountains entrance to 'em and liked the Dunes / CZ entrances. There was something awe inspiring about finding an opening in the earth that led into the abyss... A feeling that you don't get from "A cave that leads into another cave".

Maybe this would be where they try and work the legendary Arctic Biome into the game XD
    edited April 2017
    Just saw all this (new?) video about the Cyclops! https://youtube.com/watch?v=l-YRMADGPgQ&feature=youtu.be

All I can say is, when do we get to rock the new beast?! Also... if you listen carefully, you can hear that the Cyclops has a new engine sound!

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    New engine sound? No more nauseating wooble?! I'm in heaven... o:)

I can't wait for the new update to go live! It's time to go all Red October on some Reaper Leviathans...
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    So, I was browsing the Trello while eagerly anticipating the April 12th update (so far it still says April 12th!) While there I was reading over the various entries for April as well as in the future... and I came across this card:

https://trello.com/c/b9PlvLPk/263-start-working-on-expansion :open_mouth:

Now, I know this is some time aways and we won't be seeing it anytime soon... but OMG! The thought of having an expansion for Subnautica both excites me and makes me want to speculate about the possibilities...

1. A New Game+ mode, where you must scavenge the Aurora wreck and try to make it spaceworthy?
    2. A sequel, where you must build a base on Planet 4546B's moon and "survey" the aftermath of the starship crash? (AKA steal the Precursor technology)
    3. A companion game, where you play as one of Alterra's rivals and you must establish foothold on 4546B to build the phasegate and crush your enemies?
    4. Or a prequel, where you play as the doomed crew of the Degasi and learned what really happened before the Aurora even reaches the planet?

...The possibilities boggle the mind and titillate the senses! :love:
    Here's a theory I've had about why you can't find the Dregasi -
    Maybe the Aurora landed on the degrasi? I mean, It's likely spaceships travel in the same path, like cars or boats...
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Here's a theory I've had about why you can't find the Dregasi -
    Maybe the Aurora landed on the degrasi? I mean, It's likely spaceships travel in the same path, like cars or boats...

I think it was said that they stripped it down for resources to help build their bases and that there pretty much wasn't anything left of it.

On the Aurora's crash site, I always liked thinking that it might have unearthed something as it was making its landing (That huge trail of destruction it leaves directly behind it) and when the nose part of it goes nuclear it opened up that corridor (r.i.p.) at the bottom of that abyss there. Aaaaaaah... I remember my first day of Subnautica. I was playing Creative and was messing around near the Aurora dodging that reaper there, and looked down that cliff... And thought "What's down there?". I was exploring every inch of the map, like the devs probably wanted us to do, and I couldn't let that bit go unexplored. That was the first time I discovered the ILZ, I was rewarded for pursuing my curiosity and exploring. Now I don't get that - I want to go to the ILZ, I have to follow a strict predefined path with no freedom on my part :/ Rest in preace ILZ Corridors, you had so much potential.
    edited April 2017
    Oh-my-god, we have a release-time, folks...

jju7xx1sde56.png

Also....

47277 /main/unity 5.6 test 2017-04-27 23:11:03 Max McGuire Disabled baked lighting for scenes

What the hell is up with the Checkin-Time?! Do these Devs ever sleep? That's eleven-eleven at night. Does Obraxis make the Devs sleep at their desks or something? Max McGuire burning the midnight oil here...

Isn't the Subnautica team assembled from people around the world? I think I heard somethign along those lines somewhere, so it'd probably make sense.

Just a few more days.... <3

nesrak1 wrote: »
    Does Obraxis make the Devs sleep at their desks or something? Max McGuire burning the midnight oil here...

xTZLj3d.png

A cookie and some cream to anyone who can bring that ILZ thread up to the Discord, since that seems to be where all the dev action is. :<
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited April 2017
    Someone is obsessed with ILZ entrances
    edited April 2017
    Someone is obsessed with ILZ entrances

If ye'v seen my thread on it... :P
    I'd talk about it but it'd be a massive text wall, like most of my posts over in that thread is. I mean look at my last few posts there https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146851/lr-and-ilz-entrances-too-linear-spoilers/p3#latest XD

But really... I like the Lost River and all, but after being in the Dunes and Crash Zone corridors I have to say the LR-ILZ juncture is kinda underwhelming, and I thought having more places to explore and more options to make was the point of Open World / Exploration games, not going out of your way to limit them instead?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Oh God! It's updating! 1.3 GB!!!
    Fathom wrote: »

Just finished myself, shiny cyclops ^^
    Salvage wreck? Wonder what it means by that... Reclaim some of the building resources? Or some of the things we had on board? Or it just lies there forever as a reminder of our loss?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Rezca wrote: »

Salvage wreck? Wonder what it means by that... Reclaim some of the building resources? Or some of the things we had on board? Or it just lies there forever as a reminder of our loss?
    Probably means recovering the contents of containers, your furniture and possibly upgrade cylinders.
    Rezca wrote: »

Probably means recovering the contents of containers, your furniture and possibly upgrade cylinders.

I hope so! It'd be cool if we could salvage content from Storage modules on the seamoth/exosuit too.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited April 2017
    Does Obraxis make the Devs sleep at their desks or something? Max McGuire burning the midnight oil here...

xTZLj3d.png

How fast they work is how fast they can see the light of day
    OH-MY-GOD-IT'S HERE!!!! 2.0GB
    OH-MY-GOD-IT'S HERE!!!! 2.0GB

The cyclops update? Didn't that come out yesterday? :o
    Mm well I jsut got a 1.3gb download when logging in just now, the cyclops update already arrived for me yesterday so what's this then? Something else?