The Epic Trello Thread

1343536373840»

Comments

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Jarin wrote: »
    I think I just read the best commit yet.
    CS#56260 by @UWE_Klegran: Gendarme be like, "Naw man. You be trippin' if you think that code gon' work out for ya." So I fix it and now Gendarme be all, "Aight bro, we good."

I cringed hard when I read that. It's always easy for someone who can speak AAVE fluently to spot an impostor, and this is just... no. No, no, no.

How do you feel about people studying AAVE properly? Is it still a bad form of appropriation if you actually pull it off (i.e. after studying it academically)?

I'm genuinely curious.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I think I just read the best commit yet.
    CS#56260 by @UWE_Klegran: Gendarme be like, "Naw man. You be trippin' if you think that code gon' work out for ya." So I fix it and now Gendarme be all, "Aight bro, we good."

I cringed hard when I read that. It's always easy for someone who can speak AAVE fluently to spot an impostor, and this is just... no. No, no, no.

LOL.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

Fair enough. I was just amused because the vast majority of commits are very bland and straightforward.

There are some genuinely funny gems in there, but this one... yikes.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    How do you feel about people studying AAVE properly? Is it still a bad form of appropriation if you actually pull it off (i.e. after studying it academically)?

I'm genuinely curious.

You either come by it honestly (by virtue of your surroundings) or you come by it through some other means. If you can code-switch successfully, then nobody will be the wiser. That said, I can think of literally nobody who studied it academically and only started using it after that. That'd be because AAVE is not one of those things you can study in a vacuum because it did not arise in a vacuum-- i.e., the linguistic context cannot be separated from its historical context.

I'm trying awful hard to stay off the soapbox here, but from my own personal experiences, a person who does not ordinarily speak AAVE speaking it to me has never been a prelude to me being respected.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    From the Roadmap:

https://trello.com/c/30t6Geh3/298-upload-old-prototypes-and-make-blog-entry

...Does this mean we'll get our hands on the early-early builds? The ones where the Cyclops was an odd box that you could add and remove rooms from?
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Avimimus wrote: »

I'm genuinely curious.

You either come by it honestly (by virtue of your surroundings) or you come by it through some other means. If you can code-switch successfully, then nobody will be the wiser. That said, I can think of literally nobody who studied it academically and only started using it after that. That'd be because AAVE is not one of those things you can study in a vacuum because it did not arise in a vacuum-- i.e., the linguistic context cannot be separated from its historical context.

I'm trying awful hard to stay off the soapbox here, but from my own personal experiences, a person who does not ordinarily speak AAVE speaking it to me has never been a prelude to me being respected.

I certainly don't mind you being on the soapbox. You seem to have something to say that is quite worth hearing.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you - you make a very compelling argument. I do admire some of the features of AAVE (e.g. the tense system) and wish the rest of English had something similar. But I don't think that gives me the right to separate the language from its culture and context - even if I did learn how to speak it properly. Thanks.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    From the Roadmap:

https://trello.com/c/30t6Geh3/298-upload-old-prototypes-and-make-blog-entry

...Does this mean we'll get our hands on the early-early builds? The ones where the Cyclops was an odd box that you could add and remove rooms from?

Toss in a map editing tool and allow Cells to be exported/imported and ye could rebuild old locations (At the cost of overwriting new ones...)

You can rexperience old builds already, someone posted a guide on doing that somewhere.... Was fairly interesting swimming around in a map that still had traces of the "Procedurally generated map" elements lingering (Namely if you had the Info debug panel open and watched as the Biome/Zone line changed frequently in areas that are most certainly not there in the modern builds)

Swimming through the Old ILZ was fun too, back when it was barren, empty, dark... Mysterious... Heh, good times. I still remember stumbling into it through the Crash Zone and wondering WTF I had gotten myself into.
    You could access old builds, but not the dev previews, there were like 7 of them or something before they moved to Steam, that you can't get anywhere besides the devs themselves.
    By-the-by, when did they change the sound for opening hand-openable doors in wrecks? Much better now.
    It's been a while since anyone's commented, but not so long that this counts as a necro. I wanted to pop in and say I LOVE the updated enzyme trails on the hero peeper-- so much so that I'm tempted to grab every one of them and stuff them into an alien containment unit. Heck, I might even reload the save that has my 11-story ACU and evict all the Jellyrays to do it.

Also, regarding update #58311 ("Added bleeder attacks to heat blade and diamond blade")-- I thought the diamond blade was gone; is it back?
    edited December 2017
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Not really Necro, but... just winding down. Subnautica is nearing completion, so eventually I think the Trello might sort of be wrapping up as well...
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    Not really Necro, but... just winding down. Subnautica is nearing completion, so eventually I think the Trello might sort of be wrapping up as well...

Only when the game is unsupported. As long as UWE is putting out fixes and upgrades, Trello will still be used.
    You can't really call it a necro if it happens ~1 week since the last post, but that's all kinds of off-topic. I really wish they'd rolled out the fixing of the reinforcement panel "bug" a little better than this, or at least warned us it was coming.
    Wat:

58893	/main/Removed compass from vehicles by default	2018-01-08 16:28:20	Scott Thunelius	Removed compass from vehicles by default

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Wat:

58893	/main/Removed compass from vehicles by default	2018-01-08 16:28:20	Scott Thunelius	Removed compass from vehicles by default

Nooo!

Oh, nevermind. At first, I read it as they removed the "cockpit".

Compass? Meh...

They just can't make up their mind, can they? Take it out of the game as a craftable item because it is in all vehicles by default. Then, enuf ppl complain about it so they make it findable and craftable. So, now, they take it back out again. LOL.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    garath wrote: »
    Wat:

Nooo!

Oh, nevermind. At first, I read it as they removed the "cockpit".

Compass? Meh...

They just can't make up their mind, can they? Take it out of the game as a craftable item because it is in all vehicles by default. Then, enuf ppl complain about it so they make it findable and craftable. So, now, they take it back out again. LOL.

Better they're indecisive about it during Early Access beta branch than when the game actually launches ^^;

But yeah, think that they'd have settled on something by now D:
    Maybe Cyclops has it by default, the others you have to have it on your person to use it? Might be a good compromise there.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited January 2018
    "So about 7h ago I accidentally broke terrain streaming. It was so slow that you could outrun it. Apologies! The issue is fixed now." Jonas Bötel

Uhh... Whoops!

"I updated ur game but I broked it! So I fixed it!" o:)

"All your update are broke then fixed by us!"

#PatchToPatchThePatch

#MicrosoftSubnauticaUpdate