The Epic Trello Thread

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Great, the poop got a model! Now it only needs a purpose.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited July 2017
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Are we certain this is the case? Because I've got two save files on the latest stable and I got the compass (recipe) on both. It's a pretty tough to find data box, at least the one I'm certain to contain it, but it's still in the game.

Well, I started over fresh after the newest update, but I haven't created a new save file since then (my save is over two weeks old). I have not encountered a databox for a compass, and it doesn't show up in my crafting list. Maybe it's changed in Experimental, but for Stable #50032 that's how I have it. :pensive:
    Coranth wrote: »
    https://trello.com/c/EgmDp8iY/6491-clean-up-craft-tree Devs: "Hey, I know, let's turn the Beacon - you know, that super-important tool that lets players mark and find things - into fragments so players can't craft it right away!"

#stillcan'tfindthebaseibuilt

I'll probably get roasted for my opinion, but I am appreciative of the change. Items that you really need to build bases should require finding unlockable fragments/scanning (such as the Mutlipurpose Room or Water Filtration Machine - items that at one time were once availablr on fresh savefiles, but as of recent must be scanned first).

When you have to work towards building something, it makes you appreciate it more by first seeking it out. I'm still baffled that Solar Panels (high-priority in the early game) were originally fragments, but now have suddenly been changed to be freshly unlocked. I'd rather they be made into fragments and be locked away again. I mean, If Alterra is working in deep space with no natural star/sun nearby their ship, or if they are deep within a nebula, it makes no sense to be able to craft Solar Panels in space with no natural solar power source. :confused:
    Personally I am in favor of removing as many pieces of technology and resources from the default Fabricator and only add them in once you scan this or that. I'd even go so far and remove most basic things like batteries until you have scanned the Acid Mushroom, no copper wire until you found copper, etc. Of course that would require the player to have a default scanning device available (that can be upgraded with the standard one) and needs to be explicitly told to go out and scan something so the computer can formulate blueprints for the fabricator and calculate your chance of survival.
    edited July 2017
    The thing is, players DON'T craft beacons right away, nor do they need to. They have many bigger concerns to be thinking about then spending resources on Beacons.

I quote this point not only because I agree with it and believe in it, but because of the latter part of the statement. Now that Copper Ore has become such high demand (much more than Silver Ore was previously, in fact) it's such a waste of Copper in the early game to spend it on Beacons, which are trivially needed as opposed to items that demand Computer Chips. The Habitat Builder, Fabricator, Battery Charger, Power Cell Charger, First Aid Dispenser (and until recently, the Compass and Thermometer) all require Computer Chips, which in turn requires Copper Wire - same as the lowly Beacon does. I dunno about you, but I have a higher demand for those appliances well before I need to mark a spot on the map with a Beacon... Copper Ore is just too precious now in the early game than it ever was before. :frowning:
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Copper Ore is just too precious now in the early game than it ever was before. :frowning:
    It gives Reefbacks a purpose. Always happy to check them for Barnacles that drop Copper and sometimes Silver. Good source for that. Until you can get down to Sea Treader's Path.
  • Who_needs_ArmorWho_needs_Armor Join Date: 2017-06-23 Member: 231295Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Copper Ore is just too precious now in the early game than it ever was before. :frowning:
    It gives Reefbacks a purpose. Always happy to check them for Barnacles that drop Copper and sometimes Silver. Good source for that. Until you can get down to Sea Treader's Path.

Barnacles have always been really glitchy in my experience. the option to break them always seemed to show up when I wasn't looking at one, and I couldn't see where the material dropped anyways. And then when I do see them, I don't get the option.

Barnacles have always been really glitchy in my experience. the option to break them always seemed to show up when I wasn't looking at one, and I couldn't see where the material dropped anyways. And then when I do see them, I don't get the option.
    They fixed them.
    edited July 2017

Eh... Your Mileage My Vary, I suppose. In the past everytime I hit a Barnacle, after one hit the "Break barnacle" tooltip would vanish, and nothing on the model would change. For the longest time I couldn't figure out just what impact barnacles had on gameplay.

Come this last update I decided to try again. It took 3 hits or so but most of the time the same thing happens - only this time sometimes an ore or such spawns like 10 meters behind the Reefback. :dizzy: Sometimes its a Titanium or Copper Ore, but sometimes it's Lead or Gold - something I really dont need or want. And then there's the fact there's maybe 3-5 Reefbacks in any given biome, with perhaps 4 Barnacles each. It doesn't take long to exhaust that supply and I'm still short on Copper.

I'm hesitant at this point to ask them to change the recipe for Computer Chips, given how the last change drastically altered the "economy" of the game. Instead I'd ask that they just change the Copper Wire recipe from needing Copper Ore x2 to just simply Copper Ore x1. Given the size of the model for Copper Ore and Copper Wire, it's not likely that amount of Ore is needed for just a spool of wire... This way it should improve balance but would reduce the overall Copper Ore usage by half, at least! :blush:@Foxy can someone at least consider this idea?
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited July 2017
    I'm going to express an unpopular opinion about the scarcity of copper-- namely, that copper is not scarce. I learned some things while speedrunning that I would like to share.

First are the locations of three large tunnels in the Safe Shallows; they are packed inside and out with limestone. They are at approximately* -80, 160; -130, -150; -480, 150. You won't be able to carry all the loot home at once even if your inventory is mostly empty, and a substantial portion of it will be copper.

Second: never craft more than three or four Batteries, and I probably shouldn't announce this where devs can see it, but don't even bother crafting Power Cells. If you fabricate a lead suit within your first couple of days, go to the area between lifepod 4 and the Aurora's thrusters. I've gotten up to four Power Cells from the Vac Packs inside small wrecks there before crafting anything that needs them, and at least as many Batteries. You will get at least ten more Batteries once you explore the Aurora proper and up to two additional Power Cells. After exploring the Aurora you will have the blueprint for a PRAWN, and once you find the drill arm blueprints, you won't have to worry about any particular resource being scarce ever again.

* Those are x & y positions only. You can safely assume -10 for the z (depth) coordinate, which really shouldn't be in the middle, but that's another issue entirely.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    @Tarkannen This probably comes down to a difference in playstyle; I usually craft no more than three beacons (1 each for 2 bases, another for easy guidance to lava geysers/wrecks). That said, I started a new game and here's what I got from doing nothing but going to those three tunnels:

44 titanium
    42 copper
    ~17 lead (due to inventory limitations I wound up dropping some & forgetting the exact number, so I decided to err on the side of a few more lead than I suspect I got)

No surprises in that I came very close to getting your percentages. I gotta say, though-- I don't know what y'all are doing with ~42 copper in the beginning of the game that you don't have a PRAWN suit and a drill arm by the time you run out. That's four batteries and 19 copper wires, and those aren't even the only places where you can find limestone (i.e. a chance for copper) in the game. Experiences will differ due to differences in playstyle, but am I playing the game that much differently from everyone else?

I agree with you in that I don't need lead once I craft the radiation suit, but I keep the titanium and turn it into ingots-- I'd rather gather them in advance because I know I'm going to need them later. I wind up dropping more from fragments because sometimes it seems like the Aurora's main cargo was scanning rooms.
    @baronvonsatan I've mentioned above twice that all my need of Copper comes from having to craft so many Computer Chips. Between needing them for basic tools and then for appliances, I never seem to have enough. And you're right, excess Titanium can be converted to Titanium Ingots, but I rarely have room to store them all. I try not to hoard so many items before I move from my Safe Shallows T-Corridor base to my final base in the Grand Reef... it's sooo irritating having to make five trips moving stuff between the two locations (as by that time I have the Seamoth but can't craft a Storage upgrade - I usually don't have a Moonpool or Vehicle Upgrade Console by that point).

As for mining large resource nodes, I agree with you! But for my games though, I usually have the Cyclops made before the Exosuit (such as my current game) and on games I make the Exosuit first, I've usually never unlocked the Drill Arm. My Exosuit Arm fragments usually come from the second Wreck in the Grand Reef (not the one closest to the Thermal Spouts), and by that time I'll typically have all of the Titanium, Copper, Gold etc etc I need - most times I use the Drill Arm by that point is for Kyanite in the ILZ. Dear UWE, I love this game and everything, but if you want players to make more use out of large resource nodes: make the Exosuit and arms more available earlier! It's so frustrating to see large nodes scattered through the world that I can't make practical use of, then when I can they're of no more use to me.

In regard to using Copper for Batteries, I honestly don't make but maybe one Battery (for the Scanner) before I visit the Aurora, as there's practically tons of Batteries to find there. I also only craft one Beacon for the early game (my primary base in the Grand Reef) and maybe two more on the way from the Lost River on up to the ILZ. Really my complaints for Copper are because many more practical items need them, and I simply don't need Beacons to scour the map except for just a couple points of interest. Each player has their own playstyle as you mention, and maybe I need to tweak mine, but I really don't think I'm the only one who thinks that Copper is badly underbalanced at this point. :(

At any rate this isn't a personal attack towards anyone or such, it's just my opinion on the matter. :)
    @Tarkannen We really do have different playstyles! I tend to make one main base in the Safe Shallows, and my second base in the ILZ. I might need to make a guide just based on what I've learned from attempting to speedrun. The VUC is extremely easy to find if you know where to look; three fragments are next to the Aurora (between Lifepod 4 and the thrusters). They're boxes, but horizontally oriented instead of vertically (those would be for the Power Transmitter).

I'm not sure which Grand Reef wreck you're referring to, but once I get the MK1 Pressure Compensator from the Aurora, among my first targets is the one nearest the Kelp Forest (the bottom of the wreck is 250 meters down as opposed to 430). There is a surfeit of both Drill Arm and Grappling Arm fragments, as well as Moonpool fragments, Thermal Reactor fragments, and an occasional Modification Station fragment or two outside that particular wreck itself. And yes: Scanner Room fragments are typically there too.

FWIW, I don't feel personally attacked; we're just having a discussion, and we don't necessarily agree on everything, and it's cool. :) To be honest, I do feel that the recipe for crafting computer chips could use a re-balancing too. Whereas silver used to be too rare, I now typically wind up with more silver than I need. (It feels to me like sandstone outcrops were adjusted to give more silver than before, but I could be wrong about that.)

BTW, did you know there's a Storage Module in the Aurora's PRAWN room?
    @baronvonsatan Yeah, I know it's there. But by the time I have the Laser Cutter to get to it, I've usually relocated my base to the Grand Reef, and then the Storage Container's use has been reduced. It's such a shame that the Vehicle Upgrade Console is buildable only when the features it offers are just marginally useful, lol.

You're right, the Vehicle Upgrade Console is easy to get, but my issue is usually having the VUC unlocked before I've even unlocked the Moonpool. :pensive: Once again, it could be how I work my progression but I feel its one of the things that could be tweaked at least.

There's two Wrecks I've found in the Grand Reef, one is very close to where I call home (around 240 meters deep, just a bit away from Thermal Spouts I use to power my base. The other is a bit harder to locate, I usually drive an upgraded depth Seamoth through the DGR entrance near my base in the GR, go forward until I hit a wall then turn left. Usually the Wreck is found just as I exit back into the GR at that point; it offers me so many goodies too (a lot of Exosuit Arm/Scanner Room/Alien Containment fragments). According to the Subnautica Wiki, my base Wreck is located at -284 -250 -850 while the other one is at -865 -430 -1420.

And yeah, it's fine! I like discussions like this. It's always fun to share info and see how other players fare on 4546B versus ourselves. :blush: But I feel a little bad about one thing though... I wish I could post some new info from the Trello so as to help add to @Coranth's thread, at least. I just checked, and there's not much new to add that hasn't been posted already, oof. :sweat_smile:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    The warper's got some new noise. (Haven't seen anyone mention this yet around here.)

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited July 2017
    Kinda-sorta sounds like NOMAD to me...

B)
  • Who_needs_ArmorWho_needs_Armor Join Date: 2017-06-23 Member: 231295Members
    edited July 2017
    The warper's got some new noise. (Haven't seen anyone mention this yet around here.)

I mean... Don't get me wrong, It sounds really cool and they nailed the style and tone of the thing, but why does it speak English? The Precursors didn't. We need to decode what their data says through our 'PDA.' And my other, probably more significant problem with it is why is it announcing everything it's doing like a cliche sci-fi robot?
    edited July 2017

I mean... Don't get me wrong, It sounds really cool and they nailed the style and tone of the thing, but why does it speak English? The Precursors didn't. We need to decode what their data says through our 'PDA.' And my other, probably more significant problem with it is why is it announcing everything it's doing like a cliche sci-fi robot?

Cause it's a "Cliche Ridden, Sci-Fi Seafaring-Robot"...

B)
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    2017-07-24 17:18:54 Tom Jubert Added PDA voice recordings for all lines in the game

51143 /main/Adding PDA VO Sounds 2017-07-24 16:56:40 Tom Jubert Added PDA voice work for all lines in the game

New/Future HUD Mockups for Vehicles: https://twitter.com/UWEDev

https://trello.com/c/d9xpJRyp/6522-sea-dragon-roar
    https://trello.com/c/6Zx3j1cX/6523-ghost-leviathan-roar
    https://trello.com/c/Iiwmgb22/6289-reaper-roar-anim
    https://trello.com/c/YRcmFzWu/6525-stalker-snout-shark-roar
    https://trello.com/c/DgHPFmw4/6529-river-prowler-roar
    https://trello.com/c/XAg38Iet/6521-reefback-call

Each of these Cards mentions a Date; that the Tasks must be finished before the 31st.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    @Who_needs_Armor: BE-THANK-FUL-THE-WAR-PER-IS-NOT-A-DA-LEK! ALL-VIC-TIMS-OF-THE-CA-RAR-WILL-BE-EXTERMINATED!
    Coranth wrote: »

I'm majorly looking forward on all those roar anim updates. I love it when UWE updates the crittters.

The vehicle HUDs are looking good!, though seemingly still missing light feedback the way the Cyclops got. I kinda hope that thing where the temp gauge gets moved up on the PRAWN compared to the Seamoth to make way for the jump gauge doesn't go through because it makes more sense to have the cluster the same and put the jump gauge on top.
    edited July 2017
    Why does the Ghost Leviathan sound like its choking to death?

Apparently it has swallowed one to many seamoths.

B)
  • Harry101UKHarry101UK Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232095Members
    He doesn't want to hurt you, he just wants some throat lozenges. He'll give you some gentle taps to remind you of this.
    edited August 2017
    And we've got a date!: August 4th (~ship August 10th)

What do the two dates mean here?
    edited August 2017
    Not sure ... but it seems that October 31st, 2017 is going to be the actual release date of the Official PC - v1.0 Game.
    B)