LR and ILZ entrances too linear? (spoilers?)

13»

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Wow. I've never got to exploring these places, as my games never progressed that far. Only the most recent one has me with fully tricked out Seamoth and PRAWN. Never been down the LR or the ILZ. And it appears a lot of it was cut off and made linear for story purposes.

I thought things like the beacons drove the story along enough. And now I'm worried that my Cyclops will be too fragile come the next update.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited April 2017
    Jacke wrote: »
    Wow. I've never got to exploring these places, as my games never progressed that far. Only the most recent one has me with fully tricked out Seamoth and PRAWN. Never been down the LR or the ILZ. And it appears a lot of it was cut off and made linear for story purposes.

I thought things like the beacons drove the story along enough. And now I'm worried that my Cyclops will be too fragile come the next update.

I'm not sure if story's the driving reason, and even if it was they could find ways to accommodate it - like the beacons and signals currently do. Then there's the question about how this affects people who aren't playing Subnautica for the story. What about people playing Creative? Or people who've already cleared the game a few times or are just exploring to see the world? Limiting and actively removing content "because story" is potentially harming the game for them. You can't entirely forsake the story, but limiting the world - which promised exploration and discovery - because of it isn't right either. A balance must be found, and right now there isn't much balance when it comes to the endgame.

I can fully understand the Active Lava Zone only having one entrance. But such a massive complex of caverns like the ILZ is - or was - shouldn't be limited to just one or even two. When the game had several, one in the south, one in the northwest, and one hidden in the east, that was perfect. The south you'd snake through the Lost River to find. The NW you'd brave the Dunes then go through a brief Corridor that eventually links up with the Lost River. The Eastern Gallery? You'd need to brave a reaper AND have the boundless curiosity to actually dive down to the bottom and see what's down there.

Like I did. In Creative way, way back when... I was exploring the world. And as I was browsing around the Koosh Zone I saw the Aurora there and thought "What's down there?". I went down expecting nothing. I instead found a massive corridor that I knew I wanted to see fully fleshed out. I was amazed by it, like Markiplier was amazed by the Western Corridor that the Dunes opened up into. It'd make an excellent secret back door, a reward for a curious explorer who, like the game suggests - desired to explore the deepest reaches of the ocean and found something grand. Or maybe it'd be an exit, after mapping the ILZ you find a huge tunnel winding its way slowly back to the surface, and then you reach a familiar location... You never knew it was there, and you're surprised.

That's one thing I loved about Subnautica, was its complex biomes and world, the freedom it allowed you. I guess, that freedom and exploration only really applies to the early-midgame and ends once you acquire the Cyclops and Exosuit. After that it's just following a trail of precursor breadcrumbs along a straight path to the ending. There's no more choice in the matter in how you approach it. There should be. As someone said earlier in this thread, the cave systems should be complex, they should have multiple entry points, they should snake and wind over each other and intersect with each other, it SHOULD be a large and massive place.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Little update, I made a post on Markiplier's latest video on this and it actually got about 60 upvotes, and a handful of people surprised about it. I think that's good and hope he sees it as well, though it is kind of drowned out under the several posts about people laughing at him for ramming his base then wondering why it's flooding *shrugs*

One of my friends says he got into contact with one of the devs and passed these concerns along to them, all he got in response was "We'll be thinking on it" or something. So that's a plus I suppose, especially if they see this thread - a lot of people here seem to feel that continuously shrinking these opportunities is a bad thing, and if you think about it it really is.

When I joined SA for the first time, there were three ways into the ILZ. The whole place was empty, lacking even its own lighting. They were:
    Northwest Corridor - aka the Dunes Sinkhole. This was the entrance Markiplier first found, and anyone remember how thoroughly excited he was about that? "When they finish this, we'll have twice the map area to explore". Well, we won't anymore since the Corridors are all being removed!
    This would have connected to the Lost River had it not been replaced by a Precursor Cache. A cache that mind you, you'll only ever visit once. It's too small to build in, and the data downloads and ion crystals are single-use. You'll never have need to return to this place ever again - UNLIKE a cave entrance, which is forever. And I used to love building "research" bases on the cusp of that sinkhole.

Southern Corridor - aka the Deep Grand entrance. I can understand part of why this one was removed. It made getting into the ILZ far too easy, as there was zero danger on the way to or within the Grand Reef, and even with the Crabquids and Warpers the Deep Grand was easy to navigate as well, even with a Seaglide or Seamoth. The Dunes and Crash Zone corridors both had reapers patroling directly above them, and are - or were... - large enough to house Sea Dragons within. There was talk about the Twisty Bridges being relocated to this spot to serve as a transition, but I guess that's been axed too as a result of the corridor's closure.

Eastern Corridor - The Crash Zone entrance. This was actually the first one I found. When I was first playing Subnautica, i was doing so on Creative. I was exploring every inch of the world, taking in its wonders. I was excited when I found the Jellyshroom Caves, and triply so when I found the Blood Kelp Trench. I immediately regretted not buying this game sooner, and leaving it on my wishlist for months. As I was passing by the Aurora, I wondered... I wondered what was down that cliffside under the exploded portion. There was a reaper there, it had to be guarding something, something had to be down there. Since I had already seen so many beautiful things, surely something had to be hidden down there too. There was. Keyword "Was". Past-tense. At the very bottom of that abyss was an immense opening into the bowels of the planet, a huge twisting corridor that winded through several biomes until reaching the central chamber. I was absolutely amazed, and looked forward to seeing it completed. I wanted to see it mapped too, and after seeing it done so (Img posted earlier in the thread) I was just... Absolutely amazed. It was huge! Out of the three, this one had the most potential. It could have been a grand and terrifying gallery, having a sea dragon lurking within and reaper skeletons strewn about, massive fissures blowing molten rock into the waters.... It was large enough for a dragon to easily swim trhough, it had its favorite food (Second only to the player and their subs) right nearby, it wound underneath the "volcanically active" Koosh Zone. It made perfect sense to have this corridor. It'd make a great REWARD for those who took the time to EXPLORE the world to its fullest, or serve as just another great place to explore.

As of right now, the only way into the ILZ is through the Lost River, and there's no longer any real great corridor to pass through - at least not compared to the former Dunes and Crash Zone corridors. There was something magical about finding an entrance into the planet's depths at the seafloor of an abyssal zone, it gave a feeling far greater than merely "finding a cave within a cave". Don't get me wrong, the Lost River is amazing - but it being the ONLY way in is not just underwhelming, it's just wrong. This game is labeled as an Exploration and Open World survival game. You SHOULD have more options in how you want to approach things, you SHOULD have the freedom to explore more places, the cavernous biomes SHOULD be expansive and complex. While you had plenty of choice in how you wanted to approach things before, you have almost no choice in the last half other than "Do I want to enter the LR through the north or the south...?". You could decide between the Dunes, Grand Reef, and Crash Zone for the ILZ before - the first and last being the most dangerous and had potential to be even more dangerous once the Sea Dragon was created - but now you have no choice at all.

I want the eastern corridor to be saved. I really want the Crash Zone abyss to be its entrance, since it was like a reward for following the curiosity that exploration games usually love players having. There was a great feeling about having something so sinister and dangerous being so close to your starting area. Like the Water Dragon's Lair in 'Runes of Magic' being literally right beside one of the starter-zone towns. It even was lore-friendly in that it'd give Sea Dragons easy access to Reapers, and it passed under the Koosh Zone which your AI says there's a lot of volcanic activity present. It was not an easy and friendly entrance either, so "it'd make getting in too easy" was not a problem.
    If it has to be relocated, I'd suggest the Northeastern Mountains or the Koosh Zone somewhere, but I really really want to see the Crash Zone be its entrance.

Like how the Rock Puncher and Ghost Leviathan were important to many others, these Corridors are very important to me. They added a lot to the late game, and gave the player so much freedom in how they wanted to approach it which is a major point for these sorts of games. They had potential, and could even make for story points - main plot or extended universe additions - or could be optional lategame/postgame content. Seeing them gutted like this, for little to no good reason (yet plenty of poor to bad ones) is more than just disappointing, its painful. It's even made it difficult for me to play the game at times, as there's a constant reminder that something that had such potential was being axed - and it's not like the former two creatures which were at the time mere concepts - it was something that was ALREADY in the game.

I'm truly desperate, to see these corridors stay. There's so many good reasons why they should stay, why they'd be beneficial for the (currently somewhat lacking) endgame portion of Subnautica, how much they'd add to the world...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    @Flayra @Squeal_Like_A_Pig Lots of thought went into the preceding post ▲ , and I think it sums up what most of us are thinking. I know we can't always have everything, but if it is possible, I know for me personally, and for many others, coming out one of the alternate entrances after entering another way for the first time... the feeling is actually quite amazing.

Like, what else am I missing? How huge and interconnected is this world?? It was one of those moments where you just sit there trying to pick up your jaw jaw.gif from the floor. (To a lesser extent, I also felt the same thing realizing the JellyShroom caves were so huge and had so many entrances right under my nose!)

I know you guys have your reasons, but if you guys could, please take a moment together to consider if there's a feasible way to work around the problem, or at least soften the blow somehow. We aren't merely asking this out of self-interest (although, not going to lie, we obviously like the sprawling underground cave systems the way they were). We are asking to preserve the sense of awe for other new players (although there will be plenty of that from other sources, Subnautica is an awesome game!

Thanks kindly for all the work you've done so far!
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    @The08MetroidMan
    Thank you for for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and respectful letter to the developers. I feel the same way as you about Cory's comments on this issue and the potentially troubling implications to game's development, and fully stand behind what you've said in this open letter.
  • TriforceDragonTriforceDragon Denmark Join Date: 2016-11-18 Member: 224044Members
    edited May 2017
    I can kind of see the developers point in forcing the player past the Lost River. I understand that not everyone is interested in the story, but those who are need to hit the right path in that final bit of the game to avoid to much backtracking for keys. The thermal generator in paticular is hard to find unless you have the coordinates from the Virus contianment.

Maybe the solution would be to make the Lost River more labyrinthine. Multiple paths, twisting and turning through the place with a few centralized larger rooms, like the skeleton room. Expand it to fill a much greater area under the ocean floor with many new entrances. A more labyrinthine area could also add a legitimate challenge in terms of avoiding getting lost. Maybe even add a few Leviathans, either Reaper or the new Ghost, swimming through larger, main tunnels, making those dangerous to use, but keep a bunch of side tunnels the player can head around through.

Then when you enter the place, your on board computer mentions that it is picking up an alien distress signal or similar, but is unable to properly get a bead on where it is coming from due to the tight space. Traveling around the place then eventually lets it triangulate the position of the Alien Virus Facility if you have not found it yourself, thus pointing the player towards it, but requiring a bit of work down in the Lost River before you get the exact location.

Then at the Virus Facility we can already pick up a marker for the Thermal Generator facility, which naturally points you to the Lava zones and the Thermal Generator points you towards the final facility.

But now that it is easier for the player to get the marker for the Thermal Generator, one could add multiple paths out of the Lost River into the Lava Zones, because with the Thermal Generator marker there the player has something to go for, making it less of a threat that they backtrack out of another entrance to the area by accident.

It would still be somewhat limiting in terms of the fact that you need to get to the Lost River to get to the Lava Zones, but there are more entrances into a more sprawling Lost River and by extension more entrances that go further from Lost River into the Lava Zones.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    edited May 2017
    I can kind of see the developers point in forcing the player past the Lost River. I understand that not everyone is interested in the story, but those who are need to hit the right path in that final bit of the game to avoid to much backtracking for keys. The thermal generator in paticular is hard to find unless you have the coordinates from the Virus contianment.

Maybe the solution would be to make the Lost River more labyrinthine. Multiple paths, twisting and turning through the place with a few centralized larger rooms, like the skeleton room. Expand it to fill a much greater area under the ocean floor with many new entrances. A more labyrinthine area could also add a legitimate challenge in terms of avoiding getting lost. Maybe even add a few Leviathans, either Reaper or the new Ghost, swimming through larger, main tunnels, making those dangerous to use, but keep a bunch of side tunnels the player can head around through.

Then when you enter the place, your on board computer mentions that it is picking up an alien distress signal or similar, but is unable to properly get a bead on where it is coming from due to the tight space. Traveling around the place then eventually lets it triangulate the position of the Alien Virus Facility if you have not found it yourself, thus pointing the player towards it, but requiring a bit of work down in the Lost River before you get the exact location.

Then at the Virus Facility we can already pick up a marker for the Thermal Generator facility, which naturally points you to the Lava zones and the Thermal Generator points you towards the final facility.

But now that it is easier for the player to get the marker for the Thermal Generator, one could add multiple paths out of the Lost River into the Lava Zones, because with the Thermal Generator marker there the player has something to go for, making it less of a threat that they backtrack out of another entrance to the area by accident.

It would still be somewhat limiting in terms of the fact that you need to get to the Lost River to get to the Lava Zones, but there are more entrances into a more sprawling Lost River and by extension more entrances that go further from Lost River into the Lava Zones.

I don't think that'd really fix the main problem, though, which is damage to the Lava Zone itself. In fact... I don't mean to sound rude, but I think debate on expanding any biomes with further areas and advocating not cutting away any of the biomes that currently exist are separate debates entirely ^_^;

My point was that, between the Precursor Array pointing you to it, the necessity of going there to get the Thermal Plant/Prison Key's location and the fact you need nickel from it to make the MK-II pressure-compensator for the Cyclops, I personally feel there's already plenty of reason to go the LR as it is, without needing to cut away more from the ILZ - let alone make it totally inaccessible by any other means but the LR. In fact, narrative-wise, it's arguably impossible to avoid going there at some point - making it impossible to avoid gameplay-wise by sealing the Aurora corridor just feels like it takes away from player freedom/agency, degrades the Lava Zone even further to what's basically a one-off zone that cannot be reached through natural progression as opposed to forced progression. It harkens back to what I felt was an issue already; the idea that one biome (the LR) is so important that we apparently will not be given any choice gameplay-wise but to go there, despite the narrative having already ensured we'll visit it at some point.

Plus, as previously mentioned by myself and others, it even clashes with the lore about the sea dragon's feeding habits of dragging reapers down to the LZ - they're lava-adapted creatures and the LR is freezing; you'd expect something like that to die of shock from the sharp temperature change if they entered the LR... so how are they getting out and then back in with a reaper in tow? Them wading through the LR makes little sense, but there'd be no other path between the LZ and the surface.

Don't get me wrong, I don't object to the expansion of biomes, and a more interconnected world is precisely the kind of thing I'd always vote for... but aside from that being an entirely separate topic to this one, I don't think further expansion of the LR would really fix or even address any of the issues mentioned above if the Crash Zone's corridor were closed; it would still feel closer to a railroaded narrative by forcing one through the LR as opposed to one actually wanting to discover and explore it. That might work for a purely story-driven game, but that is not what Subnautica was originally marketed as.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    @The08MetroidMan
    Thank you for for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and respectful letter to the developers. I feel the same way as you about Cory's comments on this issue and the potentially troubling implications to game's development, and fully stand behind what you've said in this open letter.
    So say we all!
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Lots of thought went into the [ @The08MetroidMan's ] post ▲ , and I think it sums up what most of us are thinking. I know we can't always have everything, but if it is possible, I know for me personally, and for many others, coming out one of the alternate entrances after entering another way for the first time... the feeling is actually quite amazing. How huge and interconnected is this world?? It was one of those moments where you just sit there trying to pick up your jaw from the floor. (To a lesser extent, I also felt the same thing realizing the JellyShroom caves were so huge and had so many entrances right under my nose!)
    This weekend, I took my Seamoth with a Pressure Compensator MK3 into the Jelly Shroom Caves looking for mats. Spend a lot of time down there on 3 trips. Went back and forth and got a bit lost, including revisiting the Abandonned Base. To go back up the central shaft I had to maneuver so my Base Beacon and the Cyclops ping marker were just over head.

But one time I was far away but my inventory was full, so I found another shaft up. I thought it was to the east but it was to the west. I got that sense of coming out another way than what I went down and got that feeling of amazement and interconnection.