The Epic Trello Thread

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited May 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Not crazy about the proposed Airtank changes.
    I like being able to carry multiple tanks for safety and longer dives.

:/

I wonder if people running around with 6+ tanks is part of the reason behind the change :/
    I'd think that's like, the player's choice if they want to do that ya'know? And it does slow you down for every extra tank you wear, hence the Extra-Light tanks being a thing as they negate that drawback, so I don't see the point in this change really. Doesn't seem much like a positive change - like the seaglide's battery consumption a while back (Hoooh man did it drain super fast!)
    Jacke wrote: »
    Rezca wrote: »
    Looking at the trello card and what you've said... I think that this might make Pipes all that much more vital to early game exploration and wreck diving. I've doven down to the jellyshroom base using just pipes (There's an opening directly above it too) and it's not that hard. None of the crabsnakes get near that entrance either, so your only real concern is the sandsharks - and inventory space.

I personally never build more than two tanks, and haven't had any problems with things. Getting stuck in a complex wreck aside - drowned in the Koosh wreck a couple of nights back, wasn't able to get back to my 'moth in time r.i.p.
    Pipes will probably end up being important for exploration after the change, for those who don't yet have a seamoth. Chaining even a few cuts down on the precious seconds of oxygen you'd otherwise have wasted on the way down.
    Wow, that's some skill, going with only 105s of endurance. Even with the Seamoth parked right outside an entrance, I don't feel comfortable on some wrecks without at least 4 extra tanks and 195s and more like 6 and 255s.

I'm thinking I should try out Pipes somewhere in my play somewhere, but I'm not sure where. I do use often use Brain Coral in Exterior Growbeds just to have some of them growing.

And I sure hope we can swap tanks and get more endurance, because what else could we do? Build a minimum seabase nearby, add a Base Pipe Connector, and pipe into a wreck? All for exploration that should be done in 15 minutes tops?

I don't know about 'skill' but it does seem to be second nature to me at this point xD Carrying more tanks also means less room for carrying loot, which I tend to do a lot of. One reason why I make building a cyclops a priority since it can serve as a mobile dropoff point for harvesting runs and ferry huge amounts of resources between areas - a VERY big deal when reloctating bases. Sure the seamoth's quicker, but even if you cap out on Storage modules you only get a fraction of the Cyclops' potential storage space - plus you also miss out on depth upgrades if you do that (Sucks if your new base is 250m+ then!)

Like, it'd have taken an ungodly amount of time to relocate my rather large Blood Kelp Islands base to the Aurora Corridor's mouth without the cyclops. It already took a little over half an hour just dismantling the thing, let alone getting it all over there and rebuilding it. I would rather have relocated in one trip in the Cyclops than in the fifty or so it'd take with the Seamoth xD
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited May 2017
    I don't really mine carrying the extra tanks as I don't do that on fishing or gathering swimouts. Those I do with maybe 1 extra tank as they are commonly shallow. I often don't even use the Seamoth as it just slows me down getting out and back in.

Extra tanks does slow swimming but doesn't affect the Seaglide speed, which I commonly use even before getting Swim Charge Fins. Afterward getting the SCF, using the Seaglide recharges its Battery.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Swimming_Speed

I use the extra tanks when I'm going for deep dives beneath a vessel's max depths and wreck exploration where it's frags, data boxes, PDAs, and a few rare items are the target, so having only a few inventory spaces free isn't a problem. My previous game I had more depth available for the Cyclops than the Seamoth so I was still doing a lot of free swimouts and still often needed a number of extra tanks if I was going down a lot. For proper exploration of a wreck, I would always have extra tanks.

I also kit out the Cyclops as a mobile base and resource stockpile; I'm currently getting mats to finish off the current 51 Wall Lockers, many extra Medkit Fabs and Extinguishers, some Cyclops mods, and for stock and future construction. Already have the VMS and the MS and just need some more Titanium to upgrade to a Pressure Compensator MK3 to complete Seamoth mods.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    https://trello.com/c/9ReT8fmg/6377-add-double-tank-not-the-final-name
    Remove stackable air tanks. Air tanks only fit in the paper doll slot. Having an extra tank in the inventory has no effect.

To compensate there are two craftable tanks; a basic normal tank we have now with maybe a bit more capacity and an intermediary higher capacity tank that consumes the first to be created and is the equivalent of 3 original tanks.

https://trello.com/c/k040t4CT/6378-drop-items-on-death
    Would be reeeeeally great if you could go back and pick up the items you lost when you died...like basically every other game with loot
    Drop items into the world on death instead of destroying them.

https://trello.com/c/0q2rUOQV/6379-autosave-on-quit
    Always save on quit no matter what.
    Also get rid of Quit to Desktop and always quit to menu instead.
    Make the button called "Save and Quit".

https://trello.com/c/dhsewKP7/6383-tie-floodlights-to-bases
    Remove battery requirement from recipe. Make floodlights only work in the vicinity of bases. Make sure it shows a power beam from the base to the floodlight. Kind of like an inverse solar panel. Probably also needs a model update to remove the battery holder of the mesh.

https://trello.com/c/PUVYLeWM/6386-remove-concept-of-durability
    The knife is the only tool at the moment that can break. It's not fun, so let's get rid of the entire concept.

The tanks I don't care for either way. I slightly preferred the "one tank only (with double contents)" situation there was back when the crabsquid was introduced (I think it was then), but I'm also fine with the current situation. I never use more than two tanks anyway, which I upgrade to plasteel and high capacity for a max of 135. I don't need anything above that. One tank holding +90 will work just fine.

I don't die, but if I do having my own stuff to loot to look forward to sounds way more fun than the total loss outlook we currently have, so jeey!

I don't get why one would remove "Quit to Desktop"? I use it more than "Quit to Main Menu"; it makes a difference when you're in a hurry. And I despise when games force my save behavior (give or take when it's part of the gameplay, which is not the case here). Nothing that tabbing out can't fix, but why should one not be allowed to experiment without the risk of losing anything?

This'll be an improvement on floodlights, but I reckon it means that looting wreckage floodlights for batteries will disappear permanently. I can accept that, but it's something of a loss still. Going around opening boxes for loot gets kinda boring and the floodlights were a welcome change of pace.

I've hated the knife's durability ever since batteries became rechargeable because it so clearly was an equivalent artifact from when you had to throw away used batteries, so this news pleases me. That said, I imagined a similar update where you just had to sharpen it every once in a while. Whatever if that doesn't happen but what'll happen to the hardened blade then?
    edited May 2017
    Agree on the utility of "Quit to Desktop". I run Experimental and I often see that Steam is waiting to update Subnautica, so I just save and quit to desktop.

It may just be in Experimental, but I've already found that I can't get Batteries out of the abandonned Floodlights. In fact, that might have been true even before "Silent Running".

And I will be so happy to see the end of Knives wearing away. The Hardened Blade will have its better damage, but to not be completely trumped by the Thermoblade, perhaps the Thermoblade will have to have a replaceable battery.
    Agree on the utility of "Quit to Desktop". I run Experimental and I often see that Steam is waiting to update Subnautica, so I just save and quit to desktop.

It may just be in Experimental, but I've already found that I can't get Batteries out of the abandonned Floodlights. In fact, that might have been true even before "Silent Running".

And I will be so happy to see the end of Knives wearing away. The Hardened Blade will have its better damage, but to not be completely trumped by the Thermoblade, perhaps the Thermoblade will have to have a replaceable battery.

I didn't notice batteries being lootable, even before Silent Running. I did notice that you seemingly can't place Ion Batteries in your own floodlights, though maybe that's because they're already paving the way for them to link up to bases perhaps...?

I'd probably use Thermoblades more regardless; they're cooler looking and you get cooked fish just by swatting at them - no need to bring 'em back to the fabricator at your base / at the cyclops!

Off-topic, but Marki put out another video, sadly the whole ILZ thing didn't get brought up, what a shame :/
    Which pretty much leaves it down to hoping UNW sees one of the two threads I made here, or someone brings it to their attention on the Discord. That and hoping that the interest in it is enough to convince 'em that keeping it there is the right thing to do :neutral: I mean so far out of everyone that's commented on 'em and everyone I've shared it with, there's been a lot of positivity towards keeping them. But will that positivity be enough?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    Oy, @Rezca - what's this? (No, you don't have to download anything, it works fine from a browser tab. Don't make me drag you, I'll do it...)
    53702391.jpg
    9092815.jpg
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited May 2017
    Rezca wrote: »
    someone brings it to their attention on the Discord.
    @0x6A7232 I've been meaning to paste that link :​P
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited May 2017
    On save and quit-to-menu; this is only when you're in game. After you're back on the Title Screen then you'll have a quit to desktop button. It's just a little useful thing for those who - sometimes - just mindlessly quit and then it's like "Oh, shit, I forgot to save!" :( Which can happen.
    Coranth wrote: »
    On save and quit-to-menu; this is only when you're in game. After you're back on the Title Screen then you'll have a quit to desktop button. It's just a little useful thing for those who - sometimes - just mindlessly quit and then it's like "Oh, shit, I forgot to save!" :( Which can happen.

And I'm sympathetic to that, but the current proposal is at the cost of taking freedom away from those who just want to have some fun every once in a while or aren't entirely happy with base placement after all or accidentally clicked something we didn't mean to click. Base placement's probably the one I fear for most, because trying a new place can be tricky in getting just the right distances to accomplish a plan. Quitting is way easier than deconstructing, not to mention the building system right now is imperfect and sometimes does not allow deconstruction.

Heck, "save and quit" as the only option presumes a lot about all the bugs the game currently suffers being worked out in the next few months. Getting my PRAWN stuck in the ground is not fun. Being forced to save after that is an insult.

Possible, but I've found that each save file/update so far the situation changes around. Sometimes they do have batteries, sometimes they don't, and sometimes the floodlights aren't interactable at all. Maybe that can be the case here too?
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    Wow, that's some skill, going with only 105s of endurance. Even with the Seamoth parked right outside an entrance, I don't feel comfortable on some wrecks without at least 4 extra tanks and 195s and more like 6 and 255s.

I'm thinking I should try out Pipes somewhere in my play somewhere, but I'm not sure where. I do use often use Brain Coral in Exterior Growbeds just to have some of them growing.

And I sure hope we can swap tanks and get more endurance, because what else could we do? Build a minimum seabase nearby, add a Base Pipe Connector, and pipe into a wreck? All for exploration that should be done in 15 minutes tops?

No kidding; even with three high-capacity tanks, it often takes too long on some of the wrecks to get through them - especially if there's a lot of twisting around in tunnels (and that dive-reals can phase through walls and therefore not really help you guarantee you know the way back doesn't do much to fix that, either). I'm often left running back and forth to my seamoth even with those three tanks on - what are my odds going to be without them?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Feeling on edge diving into a wreck? Scared to run out of oxygen? Getting lost? Terrified? Good! Just as designed.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    edited May 2017
    Fathom wrote: »
    Feeling on edge diving into a wreck? Scared to run out of oxygen? Getting lost? Terrified? Good! Just as designed.

But that alone isn't justification; you need to have a balance between being scary/tense/challenging and being enjoyable. Otherwise, "just as designed" will come across as "make it as frustrating and limiting to player optimization, player exploration and linearity as possible so that they can't experiment." Being "scared to run out of oxygen" is one thing; actually running out of oxygen over and over again and subsequently either dying over and over or not even being able to fully explore the wreck without multiple tanks is something else entirely.
    No kidding; even with three high-capacity tanks, it often takes too long on some of the wrecks to get through them - especially if there's a lot of twisting around in tunnels (and that dive-reals can phase through walls and therefore not really help you guarantee you know the way back doesn't do much to fix that, either). I'm often left running back and forth to my seamoth even with those three tanks on - what are my odds going to be without them?
    I still make a Dive Reel, but I've not used it for many a game. Only used it for early free dives down to the Jelly Shroom Caves at the centre access to help guide me back to and up the shaft I used and then back to a nearby Brain Coral to recharge air. When the MPR frags got removed from the JSC, I stopped doing the dive.

Dive Reels kind of act funny and I've never been tempted to use one in a wreck as I assumed from what I saw before they'd path out and clip through the walls. I've just been real careful remembering the turns I've used going in to get out fast, as well as using the Seaglide.

3 High Capacity Tanks is 225s, which is a bit less than the 255s I've considered necessary on some wrecks. I might be able to get by on 225s if I was real real careful. I can't see properly exploring existing wrecks under much shorter times. With less that 180s or 240s tanks, we have to be able to swap the tanks while swimming. Else a lot of wreck exploration is now impossible without a lot of Pipes which would just be silly.

If UWE goes with 90s tanks and we can swap them, then 1 or 2 extra would still allow wreck exploration. Of course if those 90s tanks need the Modification Station, we need to get those MS frags in easier wrecks or we have a serious hurdle to exploration.
    Fathom wrote: »

But that alone isn't justification; you need to have a balance between being scary/tense/challenging and being enjoyable. Otherwise, "just as designed" will come across as "make it as frustrating and limiting to player optimization, player exploration and linearity as possible so that they can't experiment." Being "scared to run out of oxygen" is one thing; actually running out of oxygen over and over again and subsequently either dying over and over or not even being able to fully explore the wreck without multiple tanks is something else entirely.

This is one of those areas I'm afraid to give my opinion on to be honest haha... I got burned in an old thread when they introduced crafting times and I more or less said I didn't have any problem with it (Though I did point out some recipes were too long)
    But... That line between challenging and frustrating is a hard one to find. Everyone's going to play the game differently, and I usually find wrecks too easy to navigate - except for the really large ones, but even the Dunes one has like three openings to it and one of them even allows you to bypass the multiple welded doors AND is in plain sight!

If oxygen is really that big of a problem for others, then maybe the line between Challenging/Frustrating is closer to the latter than the former for them. So any tweak that's made to make Oxygen harder is going to be a bad thing for them, while a good thing for those who are already finding the current system too easy.

If anything, I think that the player should still be allowed to carry as many oxygen tanks as they want. There could be some drawbacks, but it should be their choice if they want to strap more tanks onto them. Or maybe have it be a pre-game Option to set up. More options. Like... If you want to play with Nitrogen Narcosis (remember that?), or if you want to play with Hostile Fauna or "Passive" Fauna (relatively speaking), if you want to play with a single tank or multiple tanks, if you want to play Survival with story enabled or disabled, etc.
    That's something I'd like to see here. Other games like Osiris and Space Engineers and etc have ways of tweaking the game to suit your playstyle before you start. Like changing how aggressive the fauna is or how fast items degrade / use up energy... This is a single player game, so I don't see the harm?

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Oy, @Rezca - what's this? (No, you don't have to download anything, it works fine from a browser tab. Don't make me drag you, I'll do it...)
    53702391.jpg
    9092815.jpg

A Discord Invite link? :o
    Aaaaah I really, really, really hate Discord - web or not.... Will have to brave it I guess xvx
    Something I thought of in a recent playthrough; what if like food and water we could make "air in a can". A one-time consumable that's a little expensive but also can be a life saver. Right now, bubbles are the only way to get oxygen out in the open and I reckon that gameplay can be stretched a bit.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Something I thought of in a recent playthrough; what if like food and water we could make "air in a can". A one-time consumable that's a little expensive but also can be a life saver. Right now, bubbles are the only way to get oxygen out in the open and I reckon that gameplay can be stretched a bit.

Monster Hunter 3 had something a lot like that, they were a life saver indeed when you were a ways from the surface and in the middle of a fight with a Lagiacrus or something. They were literally "Air in a Can" and if you were running out of oxygen and swimming to the surface or the nearest Air vent (Which might not even be in that area) wasn't a possibility, you had two options: Pop that Air in a Can, or risk drowning. Or option 3: Risk getting killed by the monster on the way up to the surface.

I could see that working though, it would replenish some of your oxygen (how much?) and be consumed in the process, but serve as a little boost to help you reach the surface or your submarine.
    "Air in a Can" could be a compact oxygen generation system that when consumed injects oxygen into the respiration system to keep you going for a while. There's info here on how some of those in submarine escape rebreathers worked.

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Put Brain Coral into a can, stimulate it with electricity and have an oxygen emergency supply, adding 3 seconds per second of use with a 30 second battery life.
    Well made a post on the Discord, but don't know how much use it'll be coming from a nameless newcomer *shrugs*
    Probabaly will just get overlooked, ignored, then forgotten about.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Currently, eating a raw Bladderfish will actually restore 15 oxygen to the player in survival mode.
    NyCGLfX.gif
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Currently, eating a raw Bladderfish will actually restore 15 oxygen to the player in survival mode.
    NyCGLfX.gif

Guess we're getting Air in a Can after all xD
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    Why the Hell do They have to change the O2 Tanks at all...???

Why can't you folks who want a harder experience just NOT USE Multiple Tanks!

You want to DIE every five minutes then be my guest, but do it in your own way, don't force your playstyle on the rest of us!!

Leave the damn tanks alone for those of us that like them the way they are!!!

:#

edited May 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Why the Hell do They have to change the O2 Tanks at all...???

Why can't you folks who want a harder experience just NOT USE Multiple Tanks!

You want to DIE every five minutes then be my guest, but do it in your own way, don't force your playstyle on the rest of us!!

Leave the damn tanks alone for those of us that like them the way they are!!!

:#

I had similar thoughts; there's no real need to change them. I never use more than two and I rarely have any problems, but the same can't be said for everyone. If players want to have six tanks, let them. If a player wants to push themselves and see how far they can go with just one, let them.

I think a good compromise would be implementing pre-game options as I mentioned a little earlier. Picking a Single-Tank option would make it so the tanks hold more by default, but you only get the benefit of one at a time no matter how many you carry. Not picking it would have it play as it does right now without any changes.

They could do this for other things too like reimplementing Nitrogen Narcosis for those who want the challenge/realism it brings - changes I might add that would be terrible for most everyone else, which is the main reason it was cut out.

Options like this, would allow players to customize their experience. If they wanted to make the game as difficult as they could without playing by 'Honor rules' of just choosing not to use X or Y, or if a player wanted to make the experience a little more laid back while still using say Hunger/Thirst, they could. This way everyone is included and nobody gets left out.

Like, for me personally I'd enjoy doubling up on the Depth Influence on bases, since it really only takes a couple Reinforcements here and there to build at 500m+ and my huge hoard of lithium ends up being kinda useless in my lockers, but would that be fun for others? Not really. Rather than force it on everyone, there could be an option to have it at Default values, 1.5x influence, 2x influence, etc. These sorts of game options could be a good thing, so everyone can play the game how they'd like to play it. A mix of making some parts harder and others more lenient, or just flat out making their game as punishing as it'll allow.
    @Rezca -- if you join Discord, just remember to hit the drop-down on the top-left (beside the server name after you select it from the left-side ribbon bar) and click "Notification Settings" -- I set mine to @mentions only (so I only get notified if someone pings me) and, for most servers except those as well behaved as Subnautica, I'll also tick "Suppress @everyone and @here" (Subnautica channel actually enforces not abusing those pings, so I leave it on for that). You can also disable mobile push notifications if you want to install the mobile app but don't want those.
    @Rezca -- if you join Discord, just remember to hit the drop-down on the top-left (beside the server name after you select it from the left-side ribbon bar) and click "Notification Settings" -- I set mine to @mentions only (so I only get notified if someone pings me) and, for most servers except those as well behaved as Subnautica, I'll also tick "Suppress @everyone and @here" (Subnautica channel actually enforces not abusing those pings, so I leave it on for that). You can also disable mobile push notifications if you want to install the mobile app but don't want those.

I'm familiar with some of those options as I had to sign up for Discord when joining a Halo clan/company/whatever that required all members have one and be active on it, but I still dislike the place and find it hard enough to keep track of one server let alone two xD

Juggling between the Halo server and the Subnautica one is already kinda stressful, even after I've muted all but the Subnautica Discussion page...

Still, here's hoping these threads can make a difference. The more exposure it gets and the more people speak up, the better the chances we can get UWE to change their mind on this, and the game can have that extra variety and exploration value that'd be lost if the ILZ gets shrunk even further than it already has.
    @Rezca, what's your handle?? I can't find you! :P
    edited May 2017
    @Rezca, what's your handle?? I can't find you! :P

It's Sylxeria on the Discord; same Great Jaggi avatar, same obsession with the ILZ, etc ^^

As for handle uh, not sure?
    *Edit* Is it this #5595 ?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »

I still want to see extended breathing time enabled; either as a normal gameplay function (such as the NITROGEN cheat but always on) or some means to stay underwater longer. They could maybe introduce anither breathing apparatus: it won't affect depth duration like the Rebreather does, but instead it reduces O2 consumption by one-third. The trade-off expense of this increased time however causes blood poisoning... a gradually increasing damage-over-time (think of health loss when food/water stays at zero). Spamming First Aid Kits can restore health, BUT the DoT effect remains until you return to a fresh O2 supply. This is but one idea to allow longer time underwater but with a fun risk/reward system. :blush:
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    47579 Tom Jubert Redrafted lost river data terminals to better reflect hero peepers, precursor research endeavours, and emperor story.

WUT?!