Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2017
    jf78kjmgu19x.png
    I have no idea why I made this.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    jf78kjmgu19x.png
    I have no idea why I made this.

Lol my life in a picture :D
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Just my opinion, but...

Perhaps it's better to let this one be and just continue to close out any new threads with warnings.

At least here in this stickied thread, it somewhat contains the continuing irrational requests and gives those that wish do so, a place to vent.

I'm afraid that closing it down might lead to forum mayhem on this particular topic.

< shrug >
  • ninetoesninetoes Join Date: 2017-04-04 Member: 229394Members
    Feel like adding coop would make the game much more enjoyable maybe after everything involving the story is done you guys could start working on the coop mode.
  • ninetoesninetoes Join Date: 2017-04-04 Member: 229394Members
    Is it possible @foxy can lock this for ideas and suggestions also. So people can stop saying add multiplayer or I else I stop playing subnautica in the comment section. Because people are dumb and still think coding is simple as flipping a switch.

I know that coding is hard. I get it. But you have to admit that is a good idea to fumble around with, right.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    ninetoes wrote: »
    Is it possible @foxy can lock this for ideas and suggestions also. So people can stop saying add multiplayer or I else I stop playing subnautica in the comment section. Because people are dumb and still think coding is simple as flipping a switch.

I know that coding is hard. I get it. But you have to admit that is a good idea to fumble around with, right.

You have to understand that the option of multiplayer is completely off the table. The devs have considered this a lot of times but it has been impossible to start every time someone asks for it. It's not that the devs don't think it would be fun, it's simply impossible to do so ATM.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited April 2017
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    ninetoes wrote: »

You have to understand that the option of multiplayer is completely off the table. The devs have considered this a lot of times but it has been impossible to start every time someone asks for it. It's not that the devs don't think it would be fun, it's simply impossible to do so ATM.

Exactely. At first, the devs played with the idea of co-op. But, as Subnautica progressed it's development, multiplayer became something that isn't feasible anymore. I don't remember when, but one of the devs said the game would need to be postponed for at least two years if they tried to do anything related to multiplayer. This 2+ years coupled with fixed and updates to things run better. So, they would need what? Another 8 years? That is why multiplayer was dropped - both the version of Subnautica would be a true mess to deal with together with the time needed to implement and solved the issues.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Okay look there are many stupid people still asking for certain things to be in the game that the devs said they won't add. Let me say this : NOT EVERY GAME HAS TO BE A MULTIPLAYER GAME ABOUT HAVING GUNS AND SHOOTING EVERYTHING THAT MOVES.
    That is all.
    edited April 2017
    See, keeping this thread alive is a godsend for those of us who have accepted the reality of the situation...

• Gunbone_CLGunbone_CL Wisconsin Rapids Wisconsin Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222348Members
    I get it, totally understood
  • cowboycomando54cowboycomando54 Join Date: 2017-04-20 Member: 229773Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    See, keeping this thread alive is a godsend for those of us who have accepted the reality of the situation...

But there should still be better way to defend your self.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    But there should still be better way to defend your self.

There are a TON of ways to defend yourself in the game:

1. Propulson Cannon
    2. Repulsion Cannon
    3. Exosuit grappling arm
    4. Exosuit Drill arm
    5. Knife
    6. Hardened Knife
    7. Thermoblade
    8. Seamoth Torpedoes
    9. Exosuit Torpedoes
    10. Seamoth Perimeter Defense System
    11. Ram stuff with the Seamoth

(I'm sure I still missed a couple.)

For a game primarily focused on survival / running away, there area an INSANE number of ways to defend yourself already. I wonder if they should take some out. I think there are two many. :)

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    A lack of multiplayer is the only reason why myself and a few friends have not bought the game. I wonder how many more people would be playing if it were multiplayer. Does anyone have a link to the reasons why they can't do it? i.e. the details
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, there are plenty of reasons. Any time the game wants a piece of code to execute, it just calls a method and they code gets executed. Over the internet though, you can't just tell a computer to call a method... you have to tell it 1. I'm sending a bit of information over 2. Here it is (in the correct format) and the data that comes with it and then 3. The clients read this data and looks at a list to see what to do with it. For security reasons, it would be stupid to send IL (and even hard to do anyway) over the internet. It may seem easy to setup some calls, but realize that this has to be done for each and every event that happens in the game. You'd also have to manage loading each "chunk"* and make sure each entity has a uuid (if they don't already) and that the host sends regular messages to its clients about each and every moving entity. On top of that, anything that relies on randomization has to be mirrored somehow to each client.
    It's easier when it starts out server/client (even in singleplayer) do that when you add more code, it can be in that same format

But lets be honest, the devs are working on other things like fixing lag spikes, adding content, etc.
    A lack of multiplayer is the only reason why myself and a few friends have not bought the game. I wonder how many more people would be playing if it were multiplayer. Does anyone have a link to the reasons why they can't do it? i.e. the details

Personally, I think that's kinda silly.
    You are missing out on an extremely interesting and fun game.
    Multiplayer is not the end all be all of the gaming world.
    B)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    Yeah, there are plenty of reasons. Any time the game wants a piece of code to execute, it just calls a method and they code gets executed. Over the internet though, you can't just tell a computer to call a method... you have to tell it 1. I'm sending a bit of information over 2. Here it is (in the correct format) and the data that comes with it and then 3. The clients read this data and looks at a list to see what to do with it. For security reasons, it would be stupid to send IL (and even hard to do anyway) over the internet. It may seem easy to setup some calls, but realize that this has to be done for each and every event that happens in the game. You'd also have to manage loading each "chunk"* and make sure each entity has a uuid (if they don't already) and that the host sends regular messages to its clients about each and every moving entity. On top of that, anything that relies on randomization has to be mirrored somehow to each client.
    It's easier when it starts out server/client (even in singleplayer) do that when you add more code, it can be in that same format

But lets be honest, the devs are working on other things like fixing lag spikes, adding content, etc.

It's likely around 90 of people asking for multiplayer have no idea about how difficult coding is. I swear, it gets me kinda upset when people assume coding is easy. It's really not.

(except for maybe VN's, those are basically giant if - else ladders.)
  • TheStellarEngineerTheStellarEngineer United States Join Date: 2017-03-19 Member: 229041Members
    Subnautica is a wonderful game that has the potential for multiplayer. But I understand how it must be finished before any tinkering can be made. The addition of new vehicles, items, and basic mechanics would be necessary for the game to tie into two or more survivors, but I believe after the game is done, maybe you guys can start on it. After all, Subnautica II could take place on the desert planet orbiting 4546B, allowing some sort of connection between those playing I and II. Just saying.
    . . . "The addition of new vehicles, items, and basic mechanics would be necessary for the game to tie into two or more survivors, but I believe after the game is done, maybe you guys can start on it. . . "
    You don't understand, they can't start multiplayer at all. Not even after the game is finished. Multiplayer is completely off the table. To add multiplayer they would have to start the game from SCRATCH which would push the release date to 3-4 years from now.
  • jerybass12jerybass12 Quebec Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227651Members
    I was hoping for a multiplayer mode too to play with my familly because they were interested to play a under water survival game all together.But,i would rather them to put alot of times on what needs to be debuged and add new content than rush a multiplayer mode and bring alots of new bugs
    jerybass12 wrote: »
    I was hoping for a multiplayer mode too to play with my familly because they were interested to play a under water survival game all together.But,i would rather them to put alot of times on what needs to be debuged and add new content than rush a multiplayer mode and bring alots of new bugs

You really didn't READ the post just above yours, did you?

There ISN'T going to be a Multiplayer Mode... NEVER, NADA, NO HOW, NO WAY ... PERIOD.

If English isn't your first language, let me know...,

I'll translate what I typed above into whatever language it takes to get the point across.
    B)
    edited April 2017
    But, I* would rather them* put a* lot of time* on what needs to be debugged* and add new content than rush a multiplayer mode and bring lots* of new bugs
    There ISN'T going to be a Multiplayer Mode... NEVER, NADA, NO HOW, NO WAY ... PERIOD.

Where does he say "I want multiplayer, give me multiplayer!"
    No, he just says "It would've been cool but I'm okay without."

Sure he says, "than rush a multiplayer mode"
    Technically technically, it's possible to do multiplayer but it'd take way too much time. Say it would take 4 years. If they got a basic prototype working and released it in 1 year could be "rushing it".

Point here is: he's fine with no multiplayer and you're just being way too critical about it.
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, sure, Technically it is possible...

But that hinges on a well known misunderstood and/or ignored Fact...

The Dev's ARE NOT going to do it, basically because the way the game is currently designed would mean tossing the whole thing into the crapper and starting from scratch.

So intimating that putting Multiplayer in at any speed, is contrary to the stated facts and just breeds more misunderstandings.
    B)
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Yeah, sure, Technically it is possible...

But that hinges on a well known misunderstood and/or ignored Fact...

The Dev's ARE NOT going to do it, basically because the way the game is currently designed would mean tossing the whole thing into the crapper and starting from scratch.

So intimating that putting Multiplayer in at any speed, is contrary to the stated facts and just breeds more misunderstandings.
    B)

Unless they decide, for some reson, to create another version of Subnautica on a later date, if they want to do it on this later point in time. And this is a discussion we had already. Unless you forgot about reading comprehension again...
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    But, I* would rather them* put a* lot of time* on what needs to be debugged* and add new content than rush a multiplayer mode and bring lots* of new bugs

Where does he say "I want multiplayer, give me multiplayer!"
    No, he just says "It would've been cool but I'm okay without."

Sure he says, "than rush a multiplayer mode"
    Technically technically, it's possible to do multiplayer but it'd take way too much time. Say it would take 4 years. If they got a basic prototype working and released it in 1 year could be "rushing it".

Point here is: he's fine with no multiplayer and you're just being way too critical about it.

He is. There are people here who rage at the mere possibility to something multiplayer-related for Subnautica, believing themselves to be akin to forum admin or devs when this discussion comes up. Don't worry about it.

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited April 2017
    The devs have said that there is actually a chance that multiplayer will be a thing, just a really, really low one. You still shouldn't get your hopes up though, and I personally don't belive it will ever happen but it's not like it's something that has a 0% chance of ever happening.
    @Foxy is there a way to make the OP a thing fixed for all the pages? Every page one should enter would have OP's as fist post?

@Morph_Guy Possibility for it to happen? Sure. Probability of it happening? Very, very low indeed. I myself believe that, if somehow multiplayer comes along, will not be now or next year, and will probably come as a standalone product, instead of a dlc for the then released Subnautica.
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    The devs have said that there is actually a chance that multiplayer will be a thing, just a really low one.

And then went on to completely clarify that one comment, as not being an indicator in any way, that They would even consider doing it.

Talk about grasping at straws...
    smh
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    The devs have said that there is actually a chance that multiplayer will be a thing, just a really low one.

And then went on to completely clarify that one comment, as not being an indicator in any way, that They would even consider doing it.

Talk about grasping at straws...
    smh

There's a small chance of anything happening, like aliens invading.
    Or DaveyNY stopping.
    "Just a really low one."
    Just think of me as yer crazy uncle.
    B)
  • RebmesRebmes Join Date: 2017-04-28 Member: 230074Members
    edited April 2017
    I just had to pitch in here and say that I'm quite grateful the dev's have taken this path. So many other games out there have multiplayer available, but so often it takes away and even discourages the single player experience. Developing within the limitations of a multiplayer game also seems to hinder what they can accomplish and add to the game, and the focus unwittingly shifts to player interactions. Think of the most popular survival sandbox games right now, where the whole point is to kill and steal from others or be killed, alone or as a clan; the game underneath matters little and mostly serves to facilitate and balance pvp. The single player experience in most of those games is very, very lacking.

Here we see a game like no other that transcends the genre, for anyone willing to play by themselves once in awhile. For this, I know I am.
  • DavidXlte01234DavidXlte01234 Indonesian Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227936Members
    we dont need multiplayer... dis gaem is already amazing... so cool to see so many people that support dis game... look, just finish da game and we all will be happy... forget multiplayer, we can do that later... there's just too much pressure in the developers head so just let the developers chill down and finish da gaem thats all that i want