MAJOR ISSUE (Save Bug)

Comments

• Spooky626Spooky626 US Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228922Members

Spooky626 wrote: »
    this has being going on for about almost 3 weeks. when is this going to be fixed? I've tried different ways to do it but it seems the game is just broken. my 13h save is corrupted, and I flee upset and distraught that I worked so hard on a save only for it to get glitched/corrupted. this has gone on far enough, and the solution too this bug might just destroy the game. I love this game, but I hate things like these bugs that make it so bad. I've seen a ton of threads trying to find ways to see what is going on.

It's an in development game. It is upsetting to lose a save, but just know that we are all in the same boat as you. The more people who stomp their feet and complain instead of being understanding to the developers and actually providing constructive input, the longer we have to wait for a fix that actually works. Once again, in development game: don't expect a full release gaming experience when you play it pre-release. Spamming the thread doesn't help.

alright. I just don't like losing hard work. hopefully the next patch will fix my save.
  • Spooky626Spooky626 US Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228922Members
    anyways, it seems ONLY and ONLY saves over 3h are affected by this.
  • este_00este_00 Join Date: 2017-03-01 Member: 228436Members

No. I had a two hour game lock up. You are adding unverifiable anecdotal information.

How many saves and loads does someone do in the first three hours of playing? A few saves and zero loads sounds about right.

• ShotoutShotout Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224576Members
    XB1S F; I had a game over 2 days. SN crashed as I was driving by Gun. Reloaded save ok, but when XB power off,
    save was corrupted. starting over again.
  • HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
    este_00 wrote: »

No. I had a two hour game lock up. You are adding unverifiable anecdotal information.

How many saves and loads does someone do in the first three hours of playing? A few saves and zero loads sounds about right.

In 3 hrs I usually have done 12 saves and 3-4 loads, but that may just be me. ;)
    UPDATE: I finally broke it!!

I only did TWO things unusual for my 10 days of using my method that has been working solid.

1. The previous game to my last play, I saved inside the seamoth in a tight cave. Usually I'm in the base because saving takes up to three minutes I normally go to base and walk away. Note worthy, that when I loaded that game, I was outside of the seamoth, just next to it. This was the last save to load properly. One the last run before error was the first time I went to floating islands, but this is coincidence I'm sure.

2. I played for quite some time on that last run, about 4 hours before saving again. The amount of time that last save took was about 9 minutes! I had a timer running. It did load instantly from "press menu" to main menu, sometimes on shorter saves that takes up to 3 minutes.

Interestingly! I can't re-sync.

I followed my method, I unhooked the internet, saved, loaded, failed, deleted local save, reloaded the game attempted a re-sync from a working file, and resync fails every time. Meaning MS's cloud can't send the file to the game/system. This makes me think the version that was previously uploaded to the server failed and broke some method that MS has in place. It could be possible that the save previous the last is the one that breaks it. I am doubtful that the user has to "do" a specific thing in SN to get their save to fail. There is nothing specific I've done between any of my working saves and locked up games. It seems like a buffer overrun causing a massively long save time or they're breaking something in the file format that prevents MS/Live from sending the file back to the user's system. If SN is breaking the format of a save, that's possibly why it won't load, the resync error is: (8083201c)

What I know for sure is that my unplug the internet method gave me:
    - the most reliable saves I've had in any method I've used, but ultimately failed
    - ultimately no recovery because it seems SN breaks MS's resync process
    - REALLY screwed up the "game time played" timer
    - also screwed up the last time saved indicator, saying it was 1:48am when it was really about 7:00pm

I'm not mad, but I'm done for now. I've done more from my couch than anyone has gotten back from the devs, so good luck guys!

I'll come back when they fix it and maybe attempt something about the FPS.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
    I wonder if it's because the devs have a high speed net connection, so they can upload saves just fine, whereas quite a few of us might time out upon saving if it's either really large, or hangs up somewhere. @Obraxis - possible?

EDIT: Of course that would only be possible if SN syncs saves immediately. Unless maybe the XB1 auto syncs whenever, and if you happen to save right then, it makes it FUBAR?
    No. I'm 60 down and there are CRCs and signing to verify integrity, speed should have nothing to do with it. Unless maybe part of the dev kit gives them "local" cloud saving.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    No. I'm 60 down and there are CRCs and signing to verify integrity, speed should have nothing to do with it. Unless maybe part of the dev kit gives them "local" cloud saving.

Obraxis said he also tried to reproduce the issue with a retail XB1.
    XB1S F;

My download speed is also 60mbit/s, but I hope everyone realizes that download speed is only
    as fast as the smallest pipe 'bandwith' in your connection chain.
    Another factor may the traffic density in the connection chain.

About the XB Live (XBL) syncing function;

I visited the XBL blog days ago.
    I searched for an error I receive whenever I load a save 'unable to sync save game data'.
    My XB hasn't had an XBL save game backup for my installation of SN since the C&C upate.
    I have reinstalled SN 5 times. The 5th time after I reset my XB.
    XBL still hasn't a SN save gave backup.

My impression was that the Application is responsible for sending local save data to XBL upon
    termination. And I ASSUME , a newly created local save is synced immediately to XBL.

Even though I have no XB Live save backup, my saves are still being corrupted.
  • Killer22319Killer22319 texas Join Date: 2017-03-08 Member: 228723Members
    I have the same problem
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    Still not a single issue.

I am 100% convinced now that my theory is right. I stand still and wait about 10 to 20 seconds then I save, IF I get the long save (sometimes I do) I wait for it to go away, then save again. I also only ever quit to main menu instead of dashboarding or just turning off my xbox.

I have tried saving all over the map, not just in my base and have not encountered this issue on any of my 5 save files, 4 of which are still there from day 1, and the 5th is at least 2 patches old.

I'm making the assumption that the game is still loading in something(s) when the save hiccups arise, and through my own testing have yet to face any issues outside of the long "saving" icon at the top.
    edited March 2017

I am 100% convinced now that my theory is right. I stand still and wait about 10 to 20 seconds then I save, IF I get the long save (sometimes I do) I wait for it to go away, then save again. I also only ever quit to main menu instead of dashboarding or just turning off my xbox.

I have tried saving all over the map, not just in my base and have not encountered this issue on any of my 5 save files, 4 of which are still there from day 1, and the 5th is at least 2 patches old.

I'm making the assumption that the game is still loading in something(s) when the save hiccups arise, and through my own testing have yet to face any issues outside of the long "saving" icon at the top.

Hope you aren't too invested in that play through. Done all of that and had it lock up.

Also, in order for your theory to right, all the Devs would have to do is save on the move and they'd be able to easily replicate the issue that to the best of our knowledge they still have not been able to do.
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members

Hope you aren't too invested in that play through. Done all of that and had it lock up.

Also, in order for your theory to right, all the Devs would have to do is save on the move and they'd be able to easily replicate the issue that to the best of our knowledge they still have not been able to do.

I'm just hoping it in some way helps them figure out what the actual issue is. I still haven't had any serious problem with saving, again outside of the loooong save. Believe me the second it stops working I will post about it.

While it sucks losing saves it's something I've come to terms with for preview games. When Ark launched their awful paid DLC expansion and update it erased everything, so not only did it erase a ton of hours, but then they wanted me to pay more for dlc for an unfinished game...

Sorry about the random rant there, but I'm basically trying to say I knew this was a possibility when I signed up.
  • JoebobkillJoebobkill Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228781Members

Hate to break it to you but I did exactly what you did as well- I mostly quit to dashboard but at one point I did quit to menu. All my saves are borked.

I do have a hypothesis though- all my saves were at least around 4 hours long to 24 hours long. My freedom saves lasted longer before failing to load. Here's the thing- in survival I scanned everything I came across- in Freedom, I was less interested in scanning creatures and plants- more interested in blueprints. In survival I didn't have a lot of blueprints, in Freedom I did. I'm wondering if there is a correlation between how much you scan and loads failing. I haven't tested this but I've seen others on the forum mention similar thoughts.
  • Mallimo87Mallimo87 Beaumont, Texas Join Date: 2017-03-21 Member: 229101Members
    I have completely fixed my save load error on my xbox. The problem is, most of you wont like what it means to fix it. You have to go into your saves and completely delete everything you've staved so far, off your cloud and your xbox completely. Once you start a new game after doing this, you have to save very frequently, like once every half hour. Once you do this, you'll be able to play and save the game no problem, but you will completely lose all your old saves.
  • JoebobkillJoebobkill Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228781Members
    Mallimo87 wrote: »
    I have completely fixed my save load error on my xbox. The problem is, most of you wont like what it means to fix it. You have to go into your saves and completely delete everything you've staved so far, off your cloud and your xbox completely. Once you start a new game after doing this, you have to save very frequently, like once every half hour. Once you do this, you'll be able to play and save the game no problem, but you will completely lose all your old saves.

How do you know this fixes the problem? I can save the game with no problems on a new save until I discover I can't load the game. This is pretty much what happened on my last save- no problem saving but still failed to load after 8 hours and lots of scanning. So... how do you know you won't get hit with the bug again?
  • Mallimo87Mallimo87 Beaumont, Texas Join Date: 2017-03-21 Member: 229101Members
    Joebobkill wrote: »

How do you know this fixes the problem? I can save the game with no problems on a new save until I discover I can't load the game. This is pretty much what happened on my last save- no problem saving but still failed to load after 8 hours and lots of scanning. So... how do you know you won't get hit with the bug again?

I don't know for sure, but what i can tell you is that i have started a new save and have over 20 hours into the new one with no issues. Multiple saves, over multiple days, when before i couldn't even save once without getting the error.
  • HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
    edited March 2017

I did this, but I still got a corrupted save eventually. Sorry :/ I really don't think there's going to be a dependable work around for this (I was able to recover a lost save once, but unable to do it again the next time). We may have to just hope the devs figure it out soon and can fix it.
  • ChaoticGamerChaoticGamer Earth Join Date: 2017-03-22 Member: 229122Members
    Anyone who had this problem saved in the seamoth at least once?
    Anyone who had this problem saved in the seamoth at least once?

Confirmed. Locked up before built seamoth
    XB1S F;
    First, I don't have an XBLive save, not since I reinstalled SN a day after the C&C update.

Everytime I build a Cyclops or a PRAWN, or finally get a drill arm installed the save is corrupted.
    I did not get any keys and stayed out of the gun.
    When the story advances past the Sunbeam SN crashes.
    I even left the relay unrepaired a few saves ago, still save is kaput.
    I don't start SN on net to play, only for the forum.
    The last save was OK untill I tried to load it 10hrs later.
    Starting new save. After I unplug. Toodles.
  • FROGLINDFROGLIND Join Date: 2017-03-02 Member: 228507Members
    i have had a lot of save isues since coffee update. so my last game play had over 1 day 9 hrs. i had completely avoided moutain island whic gave me many succesful saves. tonight i went to mountain island. the island dint load until i almost ran into part of the gun that is under water with cyclops. after the visit returned to safe area and base to save. exit game and returned several hours and received load error.
    additionally, not sure if xbox was to have cutefish... it never spawned.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2017
    Bit of an update - we're going to release a small Xbox-only update in the next few days that's specifically designed to gather & display more information when a Saved game fails to load. It also includes another 'blind fix' which may/may not help.

We'll let you know once it passes Microsoft Certification and is released, but when it does please post screenshots of any errors that are displayed if it fails to load your saved game.

Thanks for your understanding and help in dealing with this issue.
  • jwpkjwpk Kenner Louisiana Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228321Members

Thanks for the update. Haven't played in 3 weeks bc of this issue but as soon as your update is released I'll play play play and if it fails I'll post as you asked. Thanks for working on the issue very excited to see what's coming up in the world of subnautica.

Obraxis wrote: »
    Bit of an update - we're going to release a small Xbox-only update in the next few days that's specifically designed to gather & display more information when a Saved game fails to load. It also includes another 'blind fix' which may/may not help.

We'll let you know once it passes Microsoft Certification and is released, but when it does please post screenshots of any errors that are displayed if it fails to load your saved game.

• FROGLINDFROGLIND Join Date: 2017-03-02 Member: 228507Members
    look forward to the update. LOVE this game!
  • KrayZSamuraiKrayZSamurai Canada Join Date: 2017-02-16 Member: 227975Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

Will performance be improved as well? Or do we have to wait for that?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Will performance be improved as well? Or do we have to wait for that?

This mini-update is purely for the save-load issue. Performance is a long-term project.

• WeylandYutani1989WeylandYutani1989 Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228931Members
    When do you expect the update to go through , I'm drooling with anticipation