MAJOR ISSUE (Save Bug)

Comments

• jwpkjwpk Kenner Louisiana Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228321Members
    My save that failed to load was only game play near the life pod and entering the aurora to stop the radiation. I didn't visit either island in that save slot and it faild.

As for my new game that is still going well iv stopped farming and hoarding materials. I only farm what I need and it seems to be having an effect.

Hope we all find a common reason why it fails.

ItsSumSum wrote: »
    For bug tracking.
    Opened up my first survival save file with over 72 hours worth of gameplay on it, played for roughly 5 or 6 hours. Finally got to the Sunbeam explosion scene, saved and went to bed. The next morning i opened up my save file and was met with thay alarming message that my save could not be loaded.

Started a new game in survival and played for nearly 6 hours, i was able to get all my tools and made a little base just east of my lifepod. I went to the Floating island to grab some lanturn fruit and found a purple artifact (this is the only alien interaction that was done in this game), went back to my base and farmed a bunch of stuff. Saved. Quit. Opened it a few hours later and yet again my file cannot be loaded.

The game is amazing, developers are doing great, hope this gets fixed. I miss playing and its only been one day.

• jiveturkeyjiveturkey Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228424Members
    Reposting this from the main page:
    Good afternoon. Xbox player here, affected by the save corruption on a couple dozen hours old save. While I have nothing technical to share I did notice that the time it took to save the game before it went kaput dramatically rose. Prepatch it would be almost instantaneous, but post patch it went up to 30 or so seconds. Hope this helps.

I asked on reddit, and someone else noticed this increase as well.
  • Precision1302Precision1302 Deutschland Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228429Members
    So after downloading the new update, containing the gun and base in the lava zone, I was extremely excited to see everything. After exploring the gun (after updating my latest and farthest world), I saved and exited. When I came back, the file will not load, stating "Save data loading failed. Try again?" After trying countless times it will not even load for three seconds. In turn I made a new world thinking that it was simply an update thing and a new world would be fine. Sure enough, it does the same exact thing. I love this game too much to put it down, and this glitch or bug is holding me back severely. I have searched the web and it seems like this has only happened to me, so I'm concerned with what the problem is seeing as how my Xbox One is still very new.

Ich habe das gleiche Problem auf der XB1 2 Savegames gehen nicht mehr 1 vom 26 Februar und das 2 vom 27 Februar wie kann ich das Problem lösen
  • RuRollinRuRollin Houston Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228430Members
    Don't know but I've been testing the saves . Mine seems to corrupt when I log after death. Don't know if it autosaves or not but if Ileave after death I can't seem to get he old load to start again.

• Precision1302Precision1302 Deutschland Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228429Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're looking into this issue, but we need some help.
    1. Is this happening to old saved games, and new saved games?
    2. Is it all games modes, or just say 'Freedom' saved games?
    3. Is it something specific that you build or make in the game, which makes the game stop loading?
    If any of you can help with those questions above it would really help us reproduce the problem.

Ich habe das gleiche Problem auf der XBX1S, 2 Savegames gehen nicht mehr 1 vom 26 Februar 2017 12.00 am Überlebendsmodus/ Suvival und das 2 vom 27 Februar 2017 9.50 pm Überlebendsmodus/Suvival

Wie kann ich den Fehler beheben
  • xaj1xxaj1x Oi Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225309Members
    3. Is it something specific that you build or make in the game, which makes the game stop loading?
    If any of you can help with those questions above it would really help us reproduce the problem.

It is happening to both apparently it has gotten to the point where the game is literally unplayable I mean I like the idea of two updates in one though please take your time.
  • jessicalaurajessicalaura Australia Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228390Members

I only have new save games, and only have survival games saved. Two of them have corrupted at 6 hours and 1 hour into the game. Both games I had the builder and had started building a base.

I just started a new game in survival, and saved and quit after putting out the fire on the life pod and exiting the pod to collect some scrap metal and constructed titanium out of it. I am able to load this save. Is it possible that the save becomes corrupted after a certain even, like the aurora explosion?

I will continue playing without making the builder and see if the save becomes corrupted, if it doesn't I will make the builder and see if that does it.
  • jessicalaurajessicalaura Australia Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228390Members

So far in my save I have crafted fins, disinfected water, a scanner, knife and welder and repaired the life pod. At this point I saved and quit the game and reloaded it with success, however when I loaded the game my knife was gone.

I repaired the communications relay, immediately saved and quit and my game time jumped from 17 minutes to 58 minutes in the span of 2 minutes. I was still able to load the save at this point.

I waited around until the aurora's drive core explosion and saved and quit. The save loaded up fine at this point. I have noticed every time I quit the game, my game time jumps up about 30 minutes even though I play for 2 minutes at a time.

I crafted the builder and quit the game. Save loads up fine. So I built something and quit. Game still loads.

At this point I don't know what's causing it.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    jiveturkey wrote: »
    Good afternoon. Xbox player here, affected by the save corruption on a couple dozen hours old save. While I have nothing technical to share I did notice that the time it took to save the game before it went kaput dramatically rose. Prepatch it would be almost instantaneous, but post patch it went up to 30 or so seconds. Hope this helps.

This is because before this patch the game didn't actually save the state of the world like it did on the PC (it only saved the player). That's the reason we had to delay the Precursor patch, because the new content created a lot of problems without the ability to save the state of the various doors you unlock.

This is very likely the reason we're seeing some issues with loading save games... that part of the code has changed substantially from previous Xbox releases. Based on the reports it sounds like the problem is happening with the part of the process where the game copies the saved game from the Xbox's persistent storage to the area of the hard disk that's used for temporary storage (where the game will read it). We haven't been able to reproduce the issue -- so I can't really say for certain -- but it doesn't sound like the save files are corrupt since the content of the files isn't very important during this step.

A few follow up questions for people who are experiencing this issue:

1) Are you seeing your save games in the list with the correct thumbnails?
    2) Does the error message only appear after selecting a save game?
    3) Is there anything unusual about your Xbox? (external HDD, no Internet connection, tons of games installed on the disk, etc.)
  • este_00este_00 Join Date: 2017-03-01 Member: 228436Members
    edited March 2017
    Just signed up to write this.

First save failed after changing base around, but it was an upgrade game so I understood.

Second survival save just broke after playing for 20 min over lunch break. Last thing I did was to add two foundations, a growbed, plant a kush and creepvine. Thats basically all I did and now no load error. Base is in shallows at pod.

If there is a way to get devs that save I would.
    edited March 2017
    1.) Yes, thumbnail looks correct, but it's hard to tell as it's just in my base.

2. Error message appears 4-5 seconds after clicking load. The static loading image is displayed, the wheel spins in the right, the Loading... message shows, the three dots cycle. It hangs and kicks out. The "Loading Map ##% (#.#S) never shows.

3. Yes. Using an External SSD. Samsung T3, 236GB Free. Juat noticed that Xbox does show saved data is on Internal drive. Going to move to game to internal and test. Doesn't appear I have the option to move save data to external.

Edit: no change moving game from ext to int
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
    @all: if you want to give the devs your saved game file, use a USB flash drive or external hard disk, and, when the error occurs, power down the xbox, plug the external / usb thumb drive into a PC or Mac, and send the files. I have no idea where they are stored or what they are called, maybe devs could clarify?

You can also use this method on an existing saved game, just move the content to the external (see here: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/manage-storage )

@Max

Exact same iv noticed. Mine stopped loading just after the 1st death. Any one els notice this ?
    RuRollin wrote: »
    Don't know but I've been testing the saves . Mine seems to corrupt when I log after death. Don't know if it autosaves or not but if Ileave after death I can't seem to get he old load to start again.

edited March 2017
    0x you posted Xbox 360 instructions that process does not work on Xbox one.

And no, it has nothing to do with Death; mine crashed and I haven't died this game.
    edited March 2017
    este_00 wrote: »
    0x you posted Xbox 360 instructions that process does not work on Xbox one.

And no, it has nothing to do with Death; mine crashed and I haven't died this game.

Sorry, is this the correct link? Not home, can't check for myself: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/manage-storage

EDIT: Or this:
    1. Go to the Xbox Home section of your Xbox.
    2. Navigate through the menus until you find the settings menu.
    3. Select the option titled System.
    4. From here you should see another option titled storage, select this option.
    5. There should now be a drop down list of storage devices currently connected to your Xbox One as well as the Xbox One's actual hard drive.
    6. For the purpose of transferring game data from your Xbox One to a USB drive you will be copying data from the Xbox One hard drive.
    7. Choose the type of data you want to copy from the list available.
    8. Select the data you want to copy.
    9. If you want to copy more than one file at a time then click the option titled 'Copy or move multiple items using the transfer content option'.
    10. Select the storage device (the USB drive) that you are transferring the data to.
    Dude, that doesn't work. No offense, but stop helping. There may be a way to get Xbox one saves off of the cloud and internal drive, but that isn't it. The only option the user has it to delete data like locally or also on cloud.
  • ThatIsaacGuyThatIsaacGuy Illinois Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228314Members
    edited March 2017
    1. The thumbnail looks fine.

2. It appears a few seconds into loading before the percentage amount can show up.

3. Nope. I have a normal Xbox One S 2 tb. Nothing plugged into it or anything.

Max wrote: »

This is because before this patch the game didn't actually save the state of the world like it did on the PC (it only saved the player). That's the reason we had to delay the Precursor patch, because the new content created a lot of problems without the ability to save the state of the various doors you unlock.

This is very likely the reason we're seeing some issues with loading save games... that part of the code has changed substantially from previous Xbox releases. Based on the reports it sounds like the problem is happening with the part of the process where the game copies the saved game from the Xbox's persistent storage to the area of the hard disk that's used for temporary storage (where the game will read it). We haven't been able to reproduce the issue -- so I can't really say for certain -- but it doesn't sound like the save files are corrupt since the content of the files isn't very important during this step.

3) Is there anything unusual about your Xbox? (external HDD, no Internet connection, tons of games installed on the disk, etc.)
    Dude, that doesn't work. No offense, but stop helping. There may be a way to get Xbox one saves off of the cloud and internal drive, but that isn't it. The only option the user has it to delete data like locally or also on cloud.

Just so I'm clear; you're saying there's no way to get the corrupted save data back to UWE for analysis using external flash drives and a computer, correct? As I have Subnautica on both Xbox 1 and PC, and that's next on my to-do list when I get time off, and if I find you're just trolling . . .

Now, obviously, this data may not help UWE in any way, I don't know, none of us will until a UWE dev says one way or another.
    edited March 2017
    No. You cannot transfer saves to USB. If you just google the correct question you'd find the answer right away. I know you are trying to help but...

The only thing a dev could do that I can think of is get the credentials for an effected user's account and log in as that user on a dev kit. It would pull from cloud just as if it was the user - issue besides security is that I don't know if dev kits are allowed to use normal user accounts and vice versa. I'd be willing to give that a go.
    No. You cannot transfer saves to USB. If you just google the correct question you'd find the answer right away. I know you are trying to help but...

The only thing a dev could do that I can think of is get the credentials for an effected user's account and log in as that user on a dev kit. It would pull from cloud just as if it was the user - issue besides security is that I don't know if dev kits are allowed to use normal user accounts and vice versa. I'd be willing to give that a go.

Well.. that sounds like a pain and a half for troubleshooting (if you can't reproduce the bug yourself... good luck fixing it, eh? xP )
  • dhkasedhkase Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228396Members

Correct thumbnail was displayed, the error message only appeared after being selected and taken to the loading screen. The progress stopped at 'Loading'. My Xbox 1 is standard, with 2 games installed on the disk (Witcher 3, and Astroneer).
  • NoZeroNoZero Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228364Members
    edited March 2017

1) At first I did, after I tried to hard reset my xbox clearing my cache it changed to what looked like older saving point.
    2) It does to me at least.
    3) I have external HDD. My internet connection is fine.
    3b) Internal has 44,5Gt free space and external 110,3Gt with total of 42 games installed.
    edited March 2017

1) At first I did, after I tried to hard reset my xbox clearing my cache it changed to what looked like older saving point.
    2) It does to me at least.
    3) I have external HDD. My internet connection is fine.
    3b) Internal has 44,5Gt free space and external 110,3Gt with total of 42 games installed.

E: had to resend this, directly quoting your comment made my whole comment in quote :D
    E2: It didnt work and now my comment is doubled with the old one above o_o
  • jiveturkeyjiveturkey Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228424Members

Yeppers. I did notice that saving seems to have failed, twice, at the mountain biome. This MAY have been my fault, as I might not have waited for the game to save completely. The first time the save was made it was inside the new content, the next was outside of it, in the cyclops. This is a prepatch save mind you. Again, this may have been my fault.

Yeppers. It doesn't progress beyond "loading world."

Nothing unusual. Roughly 90% full. I hope this isn't the reason, I'm stuck with a 250 gig model and I'm ALWAYS scratching for space.

• mrCurmudgeonmrCurmudgeon Join Date: 2017-03-01 Member: 228457Members
    "A few follow up questions for people who are experiencing this issue:
    1) Are you seeing your save games in the list with the correct thumbnails?"

Yes.

"2) Does the error message only appear after selecting a save game?"

Yes. I had about 19-20hrs playtime, messed around and went in the volcano near 'Safe Shallows', exited my SeaMoth to grab some resources, game froze, I quit and now save game throws the error. This is my first and only death on this save game.

"3) Is there anything unusual about your Xbox? (external HDD, no Internet connection, tons of games installed on the disk, etc.)"

I have an external HDD (500GB), 40 games installed, mostly external.
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    Microsoft mentioned right away on XBOX1 release that USB flashdrives cant be used for storage. If you got a external HDD with your saves on that. You could maybe disconnect that and then plug it into PC. Then some how email the save to Unknownworlds. If that's possible. I haven't fired up Subnautica since the new patch after I heard of corrupt game saves or whatever. Been to scared to try it out.
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »
    Microsoft mentioned right away on XBOX1 release that USB flashdrives cant be used for storage. If you got a external HDD with your saves on that. You could maybe disconnect that and then plug it into PC. Then some how email the save to Unknownworlds. If that's possible. I haven't fired up Subnautica since the new patch after I heard of corrupt game saves or whatever. Been to scared to try it out.

Does not work, you can't move save files on to anything. Please just stick to the issue in the 1/2/3 format the dev asked for until they ask for something else. Spitballing ideas of how to do things that aren't possible is not helping.
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »

Unfortunately, you cant change the location for your saves :/. I tried today, just to check if relocating the game and the saves in the same HDD would do anything (It didnt).
  • ClasslessToastClasslessToast U.S. Join Date: 2017-02-25 Member: 228255Members
    My latest game that I made that was working for a while has now officially stopped working. I hope this issue gets fixed soon. If there is anything else I can help you with devs please let me know!
    Did you just have a death in that game?

My latest game that I made that was working for a while has now officially stopped working. I hope this issue gets fixed soon. If there is anything else I can help you with devs please let me know!