Game launching on a minimized screen! Please help! (no crash)

FlippingPowerFlippingPower Spain Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218220Members
edited December 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
No info about what happened, the game just dont work, i mean, i run it, i hear the music but it seams like the game is super minimized, the only options i can see are the one to close it, and the one to minimize it.
Eventhough i hear the music i cant put it on full screen or make it bigger, and it doesnt crash, I tried looking it at the guide and on google, but it seems like im the first one on having this error. I hope someone can help me. I have been playing the game for about a year now with all options on ultra and nothing happened until yesterday.

System specifications:
Graphic card: R9 Raedon Sapphire Nitro 380,
8GB RAM ddr3
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 945 Proccesor (4 CPU's) ~3.0GHz
Windows 10 Enterprise x64 bits edition
Sound Card: Supreme fix 7.1

IMG of the problem: https://gyazo.com/bd71d101c8fd31c26ffe1f13f6ef13e1
https://gyazo.com/cb0ff8a4bdf56d02a666deef654f4dd7
https://gyazo.com/5656418ba1e1b15c4b95dff68df251ee

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Are you on experimental? If so, it might be fixed in the next incremental update.
  • FlippingPowerFlippingPower Spain Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218220Members
    No, im playing on Normal version. didnt even know the existance of experimental version.
    Directions in my sig if you want to switch.
    I have already done that, but the game didnt change.
    Mmpf. Verify your game cache (scroll down to the "Installation" section).
    edited December 2016
    I've already done that, I have done it 3 times, i have reisntalled 2 and the bug still there. Plus i have updated all my drivers/and software. Nothing changes.
    It used to work?

If so, try reverting / roll back your graphics card drivers.
    Shall i downgrade Direct X from 12 to 10 or 11?
    No. Your drivers, not your DirectX version. Open Device Manager (search it from the Start Menu), expand 'Display Adapters', right click graphics card, click 'Properties', then under the 'Driver' tab, click 'Roll Back Driver'.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    Have you tried hitting some of the various windows hotkeys? Like ALT-ENTER and ALT-TAB? You might have just accidentally hit one of them one day and now the game is 'remembering' what state it was in before. ALT-ENTER takes a window from fullscreen to a normal window (and vice versa) and ALT-TAB just tabs between the various open windows you have going ( in case the game is starting minimized and wont come to the foreground of your desktop)
    Yeah, but i didnt ALT+ENTER, I know that functions, and they arent the problem, I already checked that. The last Image posted is using ALT+ENTER mode, it sets the full screen but it looks very small. Anyway thnx for the help. I think im giving up.
    Not even rolling back my drivers. It doesnt change. What should I do? shall I uninstall it again? because I think im running out of options
    When was the last time it worked?
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    I know you said you checked your drivers, but make sure you update *ALL* of your systems drivers, not just the video card. Sound drivers specifically can cause all sorts of whacky stuff to happen, from crashing on start to hanging to stuttering to strange glitches that wouldn't appear to be sound related at all, but are.

First and foremost, I would completely uninstall the game. Make sure ALL the files related to it are completely deleted. In your steam library right click subnautica and go into the local files tab and browse local files. go back to steam window and remove local content. After you remove local content go back to the browse window you opened previously and delete anything left over for subnautica.

A lot of the times steam doesn't actually remove all the files for a game when you do the uninstall/remove options with steam. So if your save game or profile stuff is where the problem starts it will just keep happening after you uninstall and reinstall.

Once you have removed the game completely, go check for driver updates for ALL of your system components. Get the latest (NOT experimental/beta) drivers for your video card, sound card/chipset (if sound is onboard with your motherboard, your motherboard manufacturer will probably have the drivers), also update any other chipset/motherboard drivers for your system.
    To add to that, you can also check if there are BIOS updates, sometimes they affect things like integrated graphics / dedicated graphics hand-off etc, so it can't hurt to check that either.
    I have uninstalled and installed again and still nothing. What should I do?
    ALL my drivers and BIOS is updated, sound drivers aswell.
    edited December 2016
    Follow these steps (might need to zip the logs if they're too big):

Obraxis wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Subnautica is currently in Early Access and as such you may from time to time encounter bugs and in the worst case, crashes. If you have issues with stability of Subnautica, please post your issues with as much detail as possible (video/screenshots/descriptions), followed by the following requested information:

Example Topic Title:
    [Crash] Open my Locker and Crash! [Version Number]

1) Please run dxdiag.exe (search windows for it) on your systems and hit the button 'save all information' in the bottom right. Save this file for later.

LHmLsSd.png

2) Navigate to your Subnautica Folder in Steam (should be steamapps\common\Subnautica)

3) Open the Subnautica_Data folder and grab a copy of 'output_log.txt'

PJAwuF0.png

4) Upload all the text of these to something like http://pastebin.com/ and post the public links to them with your forum posts.

These 2 files will GREATLY help us in tracking down issues with Subnautica. Thanks!

Crashing launching or playing Subnautica? Follow these steps to make a good tech support post!

Edit by Jonas:
    We've also got a very similar guide with pictures for each step on Steam.
    And as in every good tech support:
    • Please make sure that your Windows is up to date.
    • Please make sure that your drivers are up to date.
    • Please make sure your PC meets the minimum system requirements.
    • Please close all other applications before starting the game.
    • Have you tried turning it off and on again? ;)

So? what should I do next?
    edited December 2016
    If you're already on experimental, the only other thing you could do, would be to move your SNAppData\SavedGames folder to, say, your Desktop, uninstall Subnautica, check to be sure the Subnautica directory is deleted, then re-install Subnautica, see if it launches -- if it does, close it and move \SavedGames back in SNAppData and see if you can play.

EDIT: I should mention, you'll have to re-enable experimental after re-installing Subnautica. For troubleshooting, I would:

1) Move saved games folder to desktop
    2) Uninstall Subnautica
    3) Be sure Subnautica is completely deleted
    4) Re-install Subnautica (normal, not experimental), and check to see if it can open.
    5) Enable experimental mode, and check if it can open.
    6) Move your saved games folder back to SNAppData
    7) See if it can open
    edited December 2016
    I have already done that. All the list of steps. Still game crashed. I think im going to surrender and hope that the next big update fix my problem, If not, GG i cant play subnautica anymore. Im seriously thinking on formating my entiery pc.
    I have already done that. All the list of steps. Still game crashed. I think im going to surrender and hope that the next big update fix my problem, If not, GG i cant play subnautica anymore. Im seriously thinking on formating my entiery pc.

Honestly, if you have done all of the things suggested like drivers and reinstalling etc etc etc, then it very well possibly could be something on your OS or PC itself causing issues. Things like having a dirty clogged fan on your video card can cause it to overheat and make games or your system crash, same with your processor.

If you are computer savvy enough to wipe your PC and reinstall Windows, and you have not done that in a while, it might be time to just wipe the entire board clean, make sure your hardware itself is in proper condition, and reinstall it all and see.

Hell years ago it used to be normal for me to reinstall windows about once a year because the nature of older versions just made them get steadily more and more bogged down and broken the longer you used them. More and more bloated and unstable, etc. It's not so much like that anymore, but it would not surprise me one bit to find that you have some hidden malware or some old software causing conflicts, or issues deep in the OS layer.
    If you're on Win 10 you can do this rather easily using the "Refresh this PC" setting.
    I think im going to do that, first im going to wait until the next big update, then if the bug still there, im going to format my pc. If this method dont work, im going to kms xD
    Anyway, thx for all the help and support. Ur game is awesome, just like the admins on this page. :smiley:
    Be sure to stop back by and let us know how it went (or if you have trouble with resetting your PC, I have experience with that kind of stuff as do others here).
  • ShyGuyXXLShyGuyXXL Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221692Members
    You're not alone, FlippingPower, I have been having the exact same problem for months and nothing I have tried has worked.
    Here's my topic: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2309006#Comment_2309006
    I've been writing about it on many other threads but no one has a solution.

I think I'm going to try the "Refresh this PC" option next. But before I do I just wanna know, does that procedure remove any of your files or programs from your PC? I don't wanna do this and then have to reinstall all my stuff again or whatever.
    It keeps your files, but you'll need to re-install your programs.
    edited December 2016
    Heey ShyGuy if ur solution has results, let me know plssssss.