[BUG] Can't launch game, tiny window, crashes immediately

ShyGuyXXLShyGuyXXL Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221692Members
Hi there~

So when I try to launch my game through steam, this appears:
blbUNnV.png
Seconds later I get "Subnautica.exe has stopped working".

I made sure that my GeForce Driver is up to date and I also uninstalled and re-installed the game but the result is the same.

Here's my Dxdiag:
http://pastebin.com/Pdw8Q0rj

Here my output log. I had to split it into two parts because it's apparently too big for pastebin's limit. Hope that's not a problem.
http://pastebin.com/Jx9RmKVt
http://pastebin.com/99CzQ9fH

What can I do?
The game ran fine last time I played it, which was about... maybe a month ago.

Comments

• KhornetKhornet Poland Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219641Members
    Welcome to my world.
    forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2305572/
    forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2298075/

Months-old problem. Persists still after most recent update. No resolution at all. Since it might be hardware-related, it's not even 100% sure a full system format would help.
    So yeah, buy a new PC is the only "solution" for us.

• ShyGuyXXLShyGuyXXL Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221692Members
    edited August 2016
    But... that can't just be it... that's bullshit!
    I can't buy a new PC AGAIN.
    I want a fix or my money back!

I was so excited to try the new update and now this...
  • SchokiSchoki Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221731Members
    Same here. I´m waitung since 2 month for a solution but nothing changed.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    Shot in the dark....anyone reinstalled their soundcards? I'd be trying that, but don't blame me if you lose twenty minutes trying! ;)
    Harry82 wrote: »
    Shot in the dark....anyone reinstalled their soundcards? I'd be trying that, but don't blame me if you lose twenty minutes trying! ;)

I did reinstall everything Realtek (sound drivers) related, yes.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    edited September 2016
    Khornet wrote: »
    Harry82 wrote: »

I did reinstall everything Realtek (sound drivers) related, yes.

So holyshitballs...you guys have been through the wringer...I just read your other threads.

Although I didn't come up with anything myself, feelin ya pain with the lockout... Seen Meet the Parents? "Here's the circle..."

Hopefully something gives soon.

ps - Pretty far out I know but given the cicrumstances....and like a tech support guy asking "if you can actually see with your own eyes the power cord plugged in", um, have you tried alt+tabbing back IN to the game once it launches with that little window? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, or maybe I missed it, and its free to try I spose... :neutral:
    edited September 2016
    Simplest solutions are the best, eh? That is, if it doesn't stop responding immediately after 'launching'.
    Alas, it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Here's what the game 'window' looks like on W7.
    QyXWVYR.jpg
    And then it just stops responding.
  • FlippingPowerFlippingPower Spain Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218220Members
    Buying a new PC cant be the solution, I was playing the last day, everything was going fine, just chilling on my map, then suddenly the game crashed, and then i had the bug. But before that one crash, i was playing on ULTRA 60FPS 1920x1080, and no frame drops. My PC can handle Overwatch at 4K so its not the problem of the pc.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2016
    Buying a new PC cant be the solution, I was playing the last day, everything was going fine, just chilling on my map, then suddenly the game crashed, and then i had the bug. But before that one crash, i was playing on ULTRA 60FPS 1920x1080, and no frame drops. My PC can handle Overwatch at 4K so its not the problem of the pc.

Eh-heh. Now we have more to go on. So the problem appears out of the blue, not the result of an update (it won't / can't update when you're playing). Leads me to think file corruption of some sort, at least in your case.

Move your SavedGames folder out of <usually Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\ to, say, your desktop. Uninstall Subnautica. Go to your steamapps\common directory again, be sure Subanutica is well and truly gone. Run a chkdsk on your drive, just for the heck of it (especially if you mysteriously can't delete the Subnautica folder!).

Re-install Subnautica, don't move saves back yet. Test to be sure you can indeed fire up a game. If so, move your saves back. If moving the saves back causes an issue, post back, it's possible they might be able to be saved.

EDIT: Wait. I've posted this solution before... well, try it, see if that fixes, if not, nothing lost. Darned bug.

Hey, can you launch and play other Unity games? Specifically, recent ones, as they'll be using the same Unity engine as Subnauitca?
    Yeah i think so, I play rust everyday and its a Unity game. But still not working.
    Alright, new update just hit Steam, grab that. Make any difference?
    edited December 2016
    I FOUND THE SOLUTION, ADMIN PLS LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS HORRIBLE BUG.

Step 1: Open Subnautica
    Step 2: Open the Task Manager
    Step 3: Right Click on Subnautica
    Step 4: Click on Expand
    Step 5: Right click on the Subnautica subprocess
    Step 6: Click Expand again.
    Step 7: Restart Subnautica

ENJOY!!!!!! :wink:
  • ShyGuyXXLShyGuyXXL Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221692Members

IT WAS THAT EASY!?!? REALLY!? OH MY GOD I'M DUMBFOUNDED :DDDDDDDDDDDD

Thank you so much!!! Finally!
    Man, I could just kiss you right now. :smiley:
    Welp, looks like I'll be busy tonight! xD
    @Obraxis

Hopefully this helps you guys figure out what's going on somehow?
  • El_HadschiEl_Hadschi Join Date: 2016-11-28 Member: 224316Members

What did you mean by Subnautica subprocess?
    Can't find a process in taskmanager that I can expand besides the Subnautica.exe
    @FlippingPower can you provide a screenshot?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2016
    This is a Unity bug, so sadly until they fix the issue we can't do much.

There is also another method you can use to work around this issue:

Right click on Subnautica in your Library, hit properties. Click 'Set Launch Options' button. Put inside it: -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080 Hit OK. Game should now be fine.
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    This is a Unity bug, so sadly until they fix the issue we can't do much.

There is also another method you can use to work around this issue:

Right click on Subnautica in your Library, hit properties. Click 'Set Launch Options' button. Put inside it: -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080 Hit OK. Game should now be fine.

Thank you very much Obraxis!!! The launch code fixed my game! Played it for 6 hours straight... missed it so much... :D It's working great so far, except one section of the Aurora disappeared and I had to warp myself out of the ship... thanks!
    Ah. In the English version of the OS, that would be "Maximize". So, just go into the Task Manager, expand Subnautica, right-click Subnautica, and click "Maximize".

Thanks, @FlippingPower