Pulling back the veil - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    .trixX. wrote: »
    PDT... "professional" is a joke in that acronym :(
    (with a few exception of course, as always)

Well it stands for "paid", not "professional".

Also, guys, you are all missing a huge upside to this: We now have a new excuse for why we lost that lerk/fade even though we were totally around the corner! Clearly, the hitbox was sticking out.
    This is definitely worth all downsides that come with it.
  • TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members
    edited July 2016
    This suddently explains a lot.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Well it stands for "paid", not "professional".

Well that explains a lot :D They get paid no matter what the impact on the game is. No wonder it's degrading. Community mods on the other hand only get downloads if they actually work.
    Also, guys, you are all missing a huge upside to this: We now have a new excuse for why we lost that lerk/fade even though we were totally around the corner! Clearly, the hitbox was sticking out.
    This is definitely worth all downsides that come with it.

LOL xD
    Three days ago I was actually joking (complaining :D) about homing bullets getting me around corners :D
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Great update guys. Who wants exact hitboxes anyway?

We still have more accurate hitboxes than CS:GO. It's industry standard to have larger hitboxes than the player models in all modern games, from Quake onwards. NS2 has always been exceptionally tight on it's hitboxes, which has helped make it very hardcore and 'git good'. Even with the slightly enlarged hitboxes, we're still significantly smaller than modern shooters.

• ReconDKReconDK Sweden Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212797Members
    migalski wrote: »
    ReconDK wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I await the storm of reactions..

DLetSkZ.gif

Inbetween a lot of the toxic people left, people with valid points also seem to have left the game. sO I am not sure there are that many people left to give feedback.
    Well that is, from the more competitive minded ns2 players.

We at TAW are actively discussing the changes, but most of the veteran players feels the game has become too unbalanced for organized/comp play, so sadly a lot of players have left the game and are now playing Overwatch instead.

Welcome to what the rest of the comp scene figured out years ago when we made a comp mod

Actually I wasn't aware that you were involved in making the comp mod, sorry for my ignorance.

Well we have always been using comp mod and recently playing without for obvious reasons; simply because we love the game.
    However it requires interest from our members to keep playing and its also hard to find someone to scrim (besides ATV)

Anywho... Contact a TAW members if you want to join our wednesday/sunday games at CEST 20.00 - we always have enough players for two teams and often four if turnout is high.
    remi wrote: »
    alster wrote: »
    You need to keep other big changes hidden from the community, so they can't complain until they tried it already. What should be done in a future patch to balance the game for aliens is to make the skulk bite 1 hit kill, but don't post it in the changelog.
    This is genius. I'm sure no one would notice. :D

Well remi, we actually noticed something was terribly wrong since 305. But yeah, I guess you guys are so tricky and smart by not posting it in the changelog.
    How much do you get paid? I think I can take your post and come up with more horrible stuff for half the money you get. Cheers
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Obraxis wrote: »

We still have more accurate hitboxes than CS:GO. It's industry standard to have larger hitboxes than the player models in all modern games, from Quake onwards. NS2 has always been exceptionally tight on it's hitboxes, which has helped make it very hardcore and 'git good'. Even with the slightly enlarged hitboxes, we're still significantly smaller than modern shooters.

So you are giving up a unique aspect of the game, because "everyone else is doing it".
    My Ma used to tell me when I was a kid, that just because everyone fails at an exam, it doesn't make me less responsible for not studying.

Btw, CSGO hitboxes are quite accurate now:
    http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1179/11799911/2938334-hitbox.jpg

That is how development works. You take the bad things from other games and implement them into your own. Because everybody likes bad hitboxes right?
  • AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    edited July 2016
    @trixX it'S not professional it's paid
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Isnt it interisting that there still people out there complaining about hitreg after this change and that still half of the rineteam is under 15% accuracy, many under 10%?
    "Something is wrong with the game since 305, the hitreg is soo bad", Sure *facepalm*

The problem with the melee change is still: People need to get close to rine. thats where 80% of the current skulks fail hard.

Maybe something like this help here:
    Stuffed_Ensifera_ensifera.jpg
    Nonono, its too narrow, most players will still miss. Make it 10x the width and 2x long. That should do it
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    dePARA wrote: »
    Isnt it interisting that there still people out there complaining about hitreg after this change and that still half of the rineteam is under 15% accuracy, many under 10%?
    "Something is wrong with the game since 305, the hitreg is soo bad", Sure *facepalm*

The problem with the melee change is still: People need to get close to rine. thats where 80% of the current skulks fail hard.

Maybe something like this help here:
    Stuffed_Ensifera_ensifera.jpg

Technically the hitreg is as shit as before.
    edited July 2016
    Its not the hitbox change alone why aliens losing so much these days.
  • AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    btw i still can't hit pls give autoaim
    @The_Welsh_Wizard
    So you have investigated this a bit with the ingame tools and video proofs?
    Or are you only repeating yourself without any proof based on your personal feeling.
    dePARA wrote: »
    @The_Welsh_Wizard
    So you have investigated this a bit with the ingame tools and video proofs?
    Or are you only repeating yourself without any proof based on your personal feeling.

According to the changelog nothing regarding hitreg has changed. Isn't that enough proof for... nothing regarding hitreg has changed?
    edited July 2016
    According to the changelog nothing regarding hitreg has changed. Isn't that enough proof for... nothing regarding hitreg has changed?

No, since they are not even listing everything in the changelogs now :D

@dePARA aliens are prone to have worse teamplay due to the unconventional melee weapons and movement requirement. That has been the case since day 0. Recent changes only show that an incompetent dev team (as a whole) is tweaking stuff they shouldnt touch.
    And you know what, I would even stfu if there was ANY progress at all in retention, but there is none. I've seen so many good ideas on the forums about how to ease in new players to the mechanics, and none had been implemented. I guess they require more work than putting an ugly HP bar on the screen or enlarging every hitbox with the scale tool.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Revert the hitbox!

Aint no headshot mechanic in Ns2.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

The thing is, though, that aliens kinda needed those hitboxes to survive.
  • HoliHoli Sweden Join Date: 2014-01-28 Member: 193600Members
    I literally said something's changed first time I played this patch.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members

The thing is, though, that aliens kinda needed those hitboxes to survive.

No worries. Look at the awesome dip (that was already dipping) once alien melee cone size was increased! Don't mind that small spike up at the end either. That's just small sample size. I'm sure they have more changes on hand to achieve that 50% win/loss that represents good balanced gameplay too! Forget the part about getting killed, getting kills is fun!

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Bicsum wrote: »
    I only played yesterday, but it didn't feel more unfair as alien than two weeks ago. My accuracy definitely went up on both sides, but in the games I played, the marines weren't stomping. No <5 minute games or something like that. That was in a 7vs7.

You played on a server without healthbars and where teams had at least some teamplay.. from what I've seen from bigger servers it's a complete desaster aliens always loosing and there were always players who refused to play alien..
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    It's become ridiculously easy to full meatshot fades, also really not a fan of ninja changes
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2016
    Handschuh wrote: »
    I only played yesterday, but it didn't feel more unfair as alien than two weeks ago. My accuracy definitely went up on both sides, but in the games I played, the marines weren't stomping. No <5 minute games or something like that. That was in a 7vs7.

You played on a server without healthbars and where teams had at least some teamplay.. from what I've seen from bigger servers it's a complete desaster aliens always loosing and there were always players who refused to play alien..

Oh no, thats horrible! I feel so bad for those servers and I hope they can live on. #pray
    @Biscum

Even 7on7 servers had overwhelming marine wins until they increased skulk bite area

• TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members

Oh no, thats horrible! I feel so bad for those servers and I hope they can live on. #pray

If only that server had no viewmodels it would be flooded with refugees from other servers.
    Tyrwing wrote: »

If only that server had no viewmodels it would be flooded with refugees from other servers.

There are people who don't like nom nom rines with 50% of their screen cluttered with teeth? It is important for the immersion.
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Forget the part about getting killed, getting kills is fun!

Not sure if your post was sarcasm...
    Well, since its a multi, getting kills and being killed kind of equal out at the end when you consider every player :D
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Forget the part about getting killed, getting kills is fun!

Not sure if your post was sarcasm...
    Well, since its a multi, getting kills and being killed kind of equal out at the end when you consider every player :D

Well, what do you think about the rest of my post? Context matters.

I thought I was being rather clear, but yes, its sarcasm. I'm too tired to put up an actual reasoned argument.