'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    Gee whiz Mr.Zapper the wait is killing me lmao.. I have time off work atm (holidays) and between refreshing this page, and waiting for the Xbox one update I'm climbing the walls with boredom! Lols..

Honestly tho man keep on keeping on this is getting really good quite quickly! And if "aurora falls" is any indication, "borealis rising" will also Be a great (hopefully not to brief) of a read :)
  • DefectivePotatOSDefectivePotatOS Utah Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216964Members
    Wow....I'm shocked. That doesn't seem like Selkirk at all. Wow. He seems....cruel for a first impression. Like he wants to control everyone. He may leave a bad mark on everyone's impressions of him....
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited June 2016
    Wow....I'm shocked. That doesn't seem like Selkirk at all. Wow. He seems....cruel for a first impression. Like he wants to control everyone. He may leave a bad mark on everyone's impressions of him....

Remember when he tied up Tomar and his men in a cyclops for ages whilst they stewed in their own waste with a good view of an angry reaper outside? And shortly after when he used the TRIDENT system on their base to blast music at a deafening volume to wear down their morale? Selkirk seems to be fundamentally a good guy but he also appears to have a sadistic streak in him. I guess JUNO was right in Aurora Falls when she expressed concern about Selkirk's mental state and how she thought he was at risk of developing psychopathic tendencies.

I suppose that kind of isolation can do that to a person.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Honestly, his reaction was not too different from what mine would have been, aside from the fact that I am not quite so reluctant to "get my hands dirty".

Does that make me a psychopath?
  • DefectivePotatOSDefectivePotatOS Utah Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216964Members
    Yeah, you're right. I forgot about those previous times. To be honest, I don't think I would be too happy if I was stranded and the people I thought who were coming to save me wanted to kill me instead.

On a different note...how do I quote?
  • DaDarkShadDaDarkShad Slovakia Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218954Members
    Welp sry I am also late for the party. no wait, im not, i just didnt have an account, so i didnt comment on Aurora Falls. But i finally went on my computer to make one (I read this on my phone) But now I'm here!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited June 2016
    "Aw, hauld yer wheesht, laddie. It's barely nothing at all. I missed your brain entirely."

I hauled Polyakov to his feet and seized him by the throat. There it was, in his eyes. He knew.

"I could end this, right now. Just a bit more pressure, and there would be a .90 calibre hole straight through your carotid artery. No problem at all. When I let you go a few seconds from now, there will be no threats, no shouting, no fuss. You will walk back and quietly join your mates. In future, if you think you might stand the slightest chance against me, kindly make your move when there's no-one else around. No collateral damage to innocent bystanders. Understood?"

Polyakov nodded, slowly and carefully. I released my grip.

"Excellent. It appears you are a reasonable man after all, Armin Mikhailovitch. Spasiba."

I turned my back on him, a deliberate gesture of dismissal. Instead of rejoining the gathering straight away, I walked over to the alcove where we had been sitting. Polyakov's mug read 46.2 Celsius. Slightly tepid, but still quite drinkable. No sense wasting good chai. By the time I finished, Polyakov had returned to his friends. I watched their discussion in a half-hearted sort of way, not even bothering to lip-read what was being said. From what I could tell, his deputies were obviously straining like hounds on a leash, although Polyakov's behaviour seemed irritable and uncommitted. Judging by the way he kept glaring at me, I conjured he'd be biding his time until conditions were more in his favour. That suited me just fine.

"How was your little talk with our friend Polyakov, baas?" Héloise enquired brightly. "He seems to be much quieter now. He is a changed man, verdad?"

"Hardly. If anything, he's even more dangerous now." I said quietly. "I've just kicked two legs off his tripod, and there's no telling which way he's going to fall."

Héloise stared at me blankly. "What do you mean?"

"By installing those auto-galleys, I've effectively destroyed his main source of income. He was able to coerce other colonists with threats of violence, offering 'protection' from his bully-boys in exchange for more than his daily share of rations. These stolen rations could then be converted into moonshine alcohol or sold back to others in exchange for scarce or desirable commodities. Now that everyone has unlimited free access to the auto-galleys and eventually, some basic functions of the Fabricators, his currency of trade has become completely worthless. His second leg so to speak, was his physical strength and the perceived aura of authority it gave him. Now that we're here, he's no longer the Big Man on Campus, and I'll bet that's causing him no end of grief."

I frowned meaningfully at Héloise.

"For reasons best known to themselves, Someone forced our hand today. I'm an engineer. I prefer getting all of my ducks in a row before committing myself to any decisive action. It prevents unwelcome surprises... Usually. However, there are only so many x factors that can be offset by adequate contingency planning, otherwise I'd never get anything done. After that, I go with my gut."
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    "make the most of it while we still can"? Oh no.. Did Selkirk install some kind of see the future program? Lmao..

I had just recently thought of somthing else aswell. All that equipment he has stored under the other island.. The mako subs.. Ripleys etc.. Either they can and will be put to good use by the newest members to society.. OR if found one can start one hell of a coup off with a BANG!

gotta question for you Bugzapper, In your well crafted world what would win in a fight. Your Cyclops v3.0 (2.0?) or those mako subs Selkirk decided to bury?
    @Rooks_Nemesis

Wait and see... ;)

Must get around to compiling the Cliff's Notes condensed versions of 'Aurora Falls' and 'Borealis Rising'.
    Reckon there's a lot of mighty impatient folks out there.
    There is indeed and I'm happy to say I'm amongst them..

One last question (for now)

I know the visuals for the androids are off the table ( you gave more then enough description tho to give a good mental picture) but have you ever thought of doing a YouTube video or something along those lines, giving a "virtual" tour of selkirks bases and locations? I mean there had to be some specific areas in those biomes that inspired you the most..

I know the visuals for the androids are off the table ( you gave more then enough description tho to give a good mental picture) but have you ever thought of doing a YouTube video or something along those lines, giving a "virtual" tour of selkirks bases and locations? I mean there had to be some specific areas in those biomes that inspired you the most..

I've avoided making YouTube clips for a number of valid reasons, the very least of which is that Subnautica is utterly saturated.

'Aurora Falls' and 'Borealis Rising' were intended to be a distinct point of difference from your average YouTube clip. Not much sense hopping on an already overloaded band-wagon, either. I figured writing would be a more satisfying option from a creative point of view. Basically, I don't think the world can comfortably deal with another Subnautica YouTube channel.

What I've seen so far does not impress me. Too many Shouty Guys, too dependent on catchphrases and inept gameplay.
  • Quantum_AnomalyQuantum_Anomaly Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218496Members
    Aurora falls really only works for about the first chapter or so before it becomes relatively impossible to recreate the story accurately in-game (it was on my mind at first too). That's why I voted radio show style presentation/audiobook. You could keep a lot of authenticity that way, but the cast of characters is now exceeding the limits of a single voice actor XD
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »

I've avoided making YouTube clips for a number of valid reasons, the very least of which is that Subnautica is utterly saturated.

I see what you did there.

'Aurora Falls' and 'Borealis Rising' were intended to be a distinct point of difference from your average YouTube clip. Not much sense hopping on an already overloaded band-wagon, either. I figured writing would be a more satisfying option from a creative point of view. Basically, I don't think the world can comfortably deal with another Subnautica YouTube channel.

What I've seen so far does not impress me. Too many Shouty Guys, too dependent on catchphrases and inept gameplay.

Understandable, as for the shouty videos lmao without naming names you did a great job of pointing fingers :) but I get it, when I first found out about subnautica it was the day it launched on the Xbox one. My son new about it a year ago but when he tried to bring it to my attention (by description) I dismissed it as a stranded deep kinda knock off and I was MAJORLY wrong!!

But I digress, when I wanted to learn more about the game I was bombarded by so much nonsense that it made it very difficult to find out any factual information. Eventually I did find a single youtuber that was both tolerable and informative... For the most part lol.

Regardless.. Your doing a bang up job man, I know you dont need me to say that to know it, bit there it is anyways!
    Man Bugzapper, why did you start using another language once in a while. I mean I can read it even though I don't know which language it is in. Tho it IS kinda annoying
  • Pudding01Pudding01 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-03 Member: 216308Members
    edited June 2016
    DaDarkShad wrote: »
    Man Bugzapper, why did you start using another language once in a while. I mean I can read it even though I don't know which language it is in. Tho it IS kinda annoying

I sort of agree. Although I think that it's okay for A to keep with that language, I think that others, with different family backgrounds (language wise) should include the ocasional word from "their" language. Have someone who throws in the occasional German word.
  • WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members

I thing it's in Irish so it might be possible to put it into a translator like Google's.
    (feel free to correct me I can't remember what it was)
    edited June 2016
    Selkirk has actually seemed to lose those little vocabulary quirks he once had.. I know he's now droided up, yet when he shifted "skins" it read like it was a almost perfect duplication of his former self..

Without the need to use inflatable Ingrid lmao.

Yet now JUNO and Selkirk are more...ummm shall we say "compatible"? Maybe love is In the air?
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    edited June 2016
    So, what's it like for Selkirk being able to truly multitask (at least in theory)? Instead of with a pure human mind, where you can maybe move hands somewhat differently at once, as an android, being able to literally focus on, for example, analyzing a sample of something and considering what it is while conducting a conversation with whoever and also thinking about that?

EDIT: And also, in conjunction with the previous two, contemplate life, the universe and everything, and his own personal history?
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    So, what's it like for Selkirk being able to truly multitask?

Pretty cool, actually.

I'd say being able to remotely control four ExoSuits while intimidating Polyakov is a fair
    demonstration of Selkirk's ability to multi-task, wouldn't you?

My bad. Terribly sorry about that.

I'll do my best to avoid including any further creativity in this story. Happy now?

My bad. Terribly sorry about that.

I'll do my best to avoid including any further creativity in this story. Happy now?

Ouch..

Ah...darn it! Look what you did...you made him throw away an interesting bit of the story!
    Uh oh...

I hope Selkirk has a plan for protecting the base for the colonists when the annual typhoons come around. 20m isn't very deep.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited June 2016
    Edit Derp! Bugzapper, don't let the critics get to you. If you want Selkirk to speak in a foreign language then have at it! Don't let one knob make you rewrite stuff; just put a translation of what was said down the bottom somewhere... :(
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Ah...darn it! Look what you did...you made him throw away an interesting bit of the story!

Is there a snip/bit missing, now??? Arrrgh!
    Okay. Intervention time.

Can we keep any misleading comments/speculations/wild second-guess sidetracks down to an absolute minimum, please?
    Ok last comment on this other language thing, but dont remove it Bugzapper! I just wanted to know which language it was in. Now plz dont waste your time on listening to me and continue the story, that some people (Including me) want to read.