'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    edited June 2016
    @Joeakuaku maybe?
    I thought that it was a reference to "Aurora Borealis" or the northern aurora of earth
  • DefectivePotatOSDefectivePotatOS Utah Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216964Members
    Phenomenal. Amazing. This is what my summer will be spent on - sitting in my perfectly plush office chair and spamming the refresh button.
  • DefectivePotatOSDefectivePotatOS Utah Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216964Members
    I thought that it was a reference to "Aurora Borealis" or the northern aurora of earth.

No. The ship that crashed was called the Aurora. Normally, Borealis does come after that word when referring to the Northern Lights phenomena. This is the sequel of "Aurora Falls." Instead of Aurora, it's Borealis - similarly, instead of falls, it's rising. Makes for an epic title.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    GOD do i love all the AIs ''persona'' details, how they function in your world as well as exploration and explanation of their character traits! I would give 2 ''Awesome'' to your last section if i could, sadly i cannot ....
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Isn't the borealis the strange ship in portal2 and half life that went missing from the aperture dock. Or am I thinking of the wrong thing hear?
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I like how JUNO and IANTO are pretty much DIGBY's parents.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Ah, new snip snippety snip snip snip! Badom Bom Bom Bom; I'm lovin' it!
  • cheetored20cheetored20 cheetored20 Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218564Members
    Isn't the borealis the strange ship in portal2 and half life that went missing from the aperture dock. Or am I thinking of the wrong thing hear?
    I think you are, but it would be interesting if the actual ship teleported instead of using warp drive.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    And all from a small bit of salt.

Fantastic!! Keep up the good work!!
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    A bio reactor that does total matter-energy conversion!??!?!?!
    sayerulz wrote: »

What's so weird about that I mean they have anti matter power plants and long range energy transfer trough simple crystals.
    Remember scifi setting :smiley:
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    lorcogoth wrote: »

What's so weird about that I mean they have anti matter power plants and long range energy transfer trough simple crystals.

Well, that's true, but the minor problem with it is that ... Well, assume that those bowls of oatmeal they all just ate were half a kilogram, net. Because that assumption makes the math simple. And what the math says is that if you convert that oatmeal directly to energy with no solid waste left behind, that's 44.95 petajoules of energy. Or to put it another way, roughly 10.5 megatons equivalent nuclear yield. (Roughly 21kt per gram.) Or to look at it a third way, 12.5 terawatt-hours of power.

They're not going to be able to afford to eat very often without figuring out something to do with all of that energy.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    lorcogoth wrote: »

Well, that's true, but the minor problem with it is that ... Well, assume that those bowls of oatmeal they all just ate were half a kilogram, net. Because that assumption makes the math simple. And what the math says is that if you convert that oatmeal directly to energy with no solid waste left behind, that's 44.95 petajoules of energy. Or to put it another way, roughly 10.5 megatons equivalent nuclear yield. (Roughly 21kt per gram.) Or to look at it a third way, 12.5 terawatt-hours of power.

They're not going to be able to afford to eat very often without figuring out something to do with all of that energy.

Precisely. And as well, there is no way that any sort of biological process could ever perform a 100% energy conversion. That just isn't possible with a chemical reaction. The only way to do that would be with antimatter.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    So, I take it no-one's heard of the 'slow pyrolysis' process.

There's no pleasing some folks.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    So, I take it no-one's heard of the 'slow pyrolysis' process.

There's no pleasing some folks.

Extremely in-depth, good find.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Well ..... in order to spend all that energy Alexander could teach them androids other parts of the human nature!
    What do you think humans did back then during the evenings, before Television was invented :wink:
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Well ..... in order to spend all that energy Alexander could teach them androids other parts of the human nature!
    What do you think humans did back then during the evenings, before Television was invented :wink:

Hehe, he could lend them Inflatable Ingrid.
  • AAAsubnauticaAAAsubnautica Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216569Members
    edited June 2016
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Hehe, he could lend them Inflatable Ingrid.

What is Inflatable Ingrid?
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    What is Inflatable Ingrid?

"Your Plastic Pal Who's Fun To Be With." (TM)

Oh.....baby! This is epic! Whenever I finish a section, my body takes control of itself and starts clapping insanely. I love this. This is what summer is all about :smiley:
    I find myself rating Bugzapper's new entries before even reading them, I'm enjoying the story that much.
    I'd be scared in Selkirk's position right now, superior synthetic body or not. If there are survivors they're probably clinically insane at this point.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Aaargh!! The suspense!
    I find myself rating Bugzapper's new entries before even reading them, I'm enjoying the story that much.
    I'd be scared in Selkirk's position right now, superior synthetic body or not. If there are survivors they're probably clinically insane at this point.

or worshipping him as a vengeancefull god