Would you support the Devs if the delay the release?

Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
According to trello there are just a couple of months left until release date.
The game has a lot of stuff that has not been implemented. It seems that cuts are inevitable.

Would you support the Devs if they will decide to delay the official release?

If that would happen I promise I would buy at least another copy of the game (and gift it to somebody; just like I did with Skullgirls).

PS. It would be cool if devs would launch some sort of gift shop with subnautica-themed T-shirts and stuff like that (e.g. plush reaper, diving mask with Alterra logo, etc. anything that can be manufactured by third party with little development cost) so we can buy that stuff to support the team.

Comments

• raven2010raven2010 USA Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204980Members
    Yes tloloo all.

I was looking to see if they had t-shirts lol
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    You can still play the game. I mean what is "v1.0". but just a day where they hope to have most features in. It's not like the game will suddenly stop developing :D

I do believe it mostly serves as a marketing thing for the game itself. "v1.0" will show a complete game to people who are not interested in early access games riddled with bugs and gamebreaking development from time to time. So for the people who are already invested in the early access, nothing really changes.

First impressions towards people, who expect a fully working game with more content down the road, matter a lot :)
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    heck yes on all points.
    Wait, what, is this a trial balloon ?
  • pocketmunchkinpocketmunchkin USA Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213480Members
    abso-bloody-lutely I'd support the devs.

Regardless if the release date is kept as is, or delayed by a bit to ensure a more refined finished product.

the game has a lot of potential and considering they're probably working on a shoe string budget and with a small group of people they've already made huge strides.

Also I'd be all for a gift shop of shorts. Who wouldn't want a reaper plushie?
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    A few months? More like 5-6 months. A lot can happen in that amount of time. Regardless, of course I'd support the devs. I haven't had this much fun with a game in years.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited March 2016
    crane476 wrote: »
    A few months? More like 5-6 months. A lot can happen in that amount of time.
    They will need at least one month for bugfixing before the release. Probably more.
    That leaves only 4 months for development.
    4 months are a quite small amount of time.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Supposedly the devs can't make and sell and merchandise with the games name on it because a large company called nautica can sue
    But really real TALK devs...

I want to buy a t shirt.... Give us subnautica t-shirts. Hoodies!!!!
    I would buy that ... Really
    Get on that it.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    What a strange question. Would anyone suddenly stop playing Subnautica because the full release version was delayed a bit?

Seriously every time I look at Trello I get all giddy about the stuff that's coming... I just can't imagine objecting to a more polished final product just because it will come a bit later.
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    I dislike the way this question is worded.

It is never appropriate for a responsible consumer to "support the devs".

You can ask whether you think it is worth it for the consumers/customers to accept a delay or not, but at no point should there be actual support for the developer.

Down that road of "supporting" developers lies the total abandonment of all your rights and duties as a responsible consumer.
  • shadwoblade6662shadwoblade6662 Florida Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215038Members
    hey if it helps the devs. come up with something awesome for the game, I'm backing em 1000% Also regarding the shop idea, id love a phone case with a reaper on it... just saying, maybe we could come up with some ideas for the devs. so they don't have to stress out about what to sell?
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Id burn them at the stake. Jk, itd be k for me if it takes a year until release, aslong as that gives enough time to add weather and waves.
  • DAOXDAOX denmark Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203909Members
    i sure can wait, i fort the game would release in a yeah or so. and i think it sure needs it. btw i woud buy all the T-shirts!
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Absolutely! I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes. And a peeper and/or reaper leviathan plushie would be awesome too.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    And a peeper and/or reaper leviathan plushie would be awesome too.

It begins :tongue:
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    *stares at excess stuffing, left over cloth, and sewing machine*

A giant peeper pillow would be amazing....
    make it so number one...
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    I dunno, every time I try to grab a Peeper pillow it would probably scoot away and fall on the floor. :D Maybe a Rabbit Ray pillow.

A Reaper pillow would give me nightmares.
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    Klinn wrote: »
    I dunno, every time I try to grab a Peeper pillow it would probably scoot away and fall on the floor. :D Maybe a Rabbit Ray pillow.

A Reaper pillow would give me nightmares.

Aren't Rabbit Rays supposed to steal items too? A pillow one would probably explain the myth of the Tooth fairy.

And imagine the Reaper pillow comes with hugging claws...
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I wonder what the cost / over head is for 20 devs for a month. Maybe as big as a Cyclops.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    crane476 wrote: »
    A few months? More like 5-6 months. A lot can happen in that amount of time.
    They will need at least one month for bugfixing before the release. Probably more.
    That leaves only 4 months for development.
    4 months are a quite small amount of time.

Implying bug fixing and game development are mutually exclusive.
  • 505Northman505Northman Canada Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215122Members
    I would indeed continue to support this developer even if the game doesn't release. I mean, when I think Early Access, I just take what I got for granted and enjoy what I get out of it. Unless it's Rust which then oh god no.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    PS. It would be cool if devs would launch some sort of gift shop with subnautica-themed T-shirts and stuff like that (e.g. plush reaper, diving mask with Alterra logo, etc. anything that can be manufactured by third party with little development cost) so we can buy that stuff to support the team.

I thougth UWE had something like that for NS; and indeed, they do. A cafe press shop for Natural selection merchandize that opened before version 1.0, 14 years ago. Ostensibly it still sells NS1 merchandize but I don't know if UWE sees much money from that. ( http://www.cafepress.com/thensstore )

Physical goods are "leaky"; a lot of money is lost due to VAT, shipping, the cost of making the item etc and UWE sees were little of that in the end.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Physical goods are "leaky"; a lot of money is lost due to VAT, shipping, the cost of making the item etc and UWE sees were little of that in the end.

But but .... my peeper coffee mug! :cry: